Other Least and Most Favorite Parts of a CS

. That last paragraph was also one of the most beautiful thing's I have ever read
Confused Tohka.gif
That final note was one of the beautiful things you ever read?

I loath the idea of multi-fandom role plays with a fiery passion! i'd explain why, but you do perfectly.
I do? In retrospect there are actually a few things I would like to add (explaining about how different tshows/books/anime/manga/theater/whatever have widly different power levels and how the rules for extremely similar concepts can be extremely different in one universe to another, making the rules of a multifandom pretty much impossible to define), but I guess maybe it's not needed then :)

You are also one of my new favorite people!
Why thank you! <3 You're pretty nice yourself. Nice complements, especially when compared to the flame war I was half expecting.

I omit most of what you said for most of my RPs (for example your apparent age will match your actual age in the vast majority of cases), but I never tell someone to remove a section if they find it helpful (if their apparent age does not match their actual age, for example).
Well, I mostly omit the one's that are either kinda useless in the particular roleplay or that just don't fit in it. I do also allow players to add extra information if they want, though I usually encourage them to use the "other" part of it instead of making the CS confusing to read by adding new random parts.

Now why did I just reply to you backwards? No idea. Maybe it's because I just woke up and my brother is making me drink coke that tastes like cough syrup.

Attachments

• Meh don´t care.gif
    Meh don´t care.gif
    462.7 KB · Views: 2
Please elaborate on that one. Even with canonical power-levels kept intact, I've still had fun writing combat posts when said fights have story purposes behind them. I don't see how poorly made combat posts in a multi-fandom setting can be any worse than poorly made combat posts in an original or singular fandom setting.
Two words: Rules and balance.
Now, I don't doubt that the people that do enjoy multifandoms have a lot of fun with them. Heck, it's a well-known fantasy to see which character would win in a fight and such. However, in understanding my reasons, I think it's useful to see the kind of viewpoint I am coming from:

I am already a pretty planning RPer , meaning I like things with detail, a solid base and forethought. I am to make roleplays that are worth my time, not waste scavenging for vague traces of fun blindly. I am not trying to put down anyone when I say this, but simply pointing out and justifying my own viewpoint as of course everything I say from here on out will assume that viewpoint.

The problem with multifandoms is that, with the exception of completely coreographed fighting, they tend to destroy or at the very least lack all those three things. Detail is more of a matter of the players I've met in that genre than the genre itself of course, but you cna't have a solid base by meshing together several solid bases and hoping it sticks. Nor do I think players ina multifandom are interested in a solid base, given they specifically choose to participate in something that by definition comes from more than one universe. Lastly, pertaining to forethought, multifandoms tend to be about the opposite, by which I mean nostalgia. It's about getting to play your favorite characters and letitng other people play theirs, or meshing toegther foreign concepts to a particular universe, be dammed if it makes sense or not. The focus is on how awesome that other thing in the past was and wanting to show that, like some interactive meseum, instead of the endgame being the focus like I like it to be.
All of this in short, multifandoms are built for the average player, one just looking for mild entertainment or simple unchained fun. So, they ARE fun. But not to me, person that demands more of my entertainment than just entertaining me. In my eyes, multifandoms shatter any semblance of rules, they have a base which is not particularly interested in moving foward/beyond the things they loved from somewhere else (generally speaking, of course), and take productive efforts but make them unproductive. Hence my general despise of them.

Now, talking about fighting specifically, as I already said, multifandoms shatter rules. The rules of no particular universe can apply when you have a multitude of them clashing. This can, of course, be just handwaved for some people, but to me that just doesn't do it. Especially when those rules were essential to the character or to keep them in check. In a multifandom, power levels tend to be all over the place. After all, how is annoyone supposed to balance a multitude of universes with completely different rules to one another? And while there being an inbalance can be pretty fun if the players are skilled enough, as I said in my innitial response, that should never be assumed from the players. Because more often than not, it doesn't apply. For a fight scene to be interestering, characters should be at least somewhat balanced, not just individually but also comparatively. if that is not the case, then odds are either all manner of logic is being broken or one character is just stomping the other.

So, if I had to pinpoint the problem I have with multifandom that would be how loose they are and how at odds with mine it's goal is.

I do once again state that the things I just said don't necessarily apply to every multifandom or to every player of a multifandom. Exceptions to the rule do exis, as with anything. But by Occam's razor, and in the interesting of doing things I would be interested in primarily, I usually assume that the rule applies to that one too.

I hate the height and weight part! How am I supposed to figure out that. I don't even know my own height and weight. I love the appearance, personality, and history parts of a CS though because I get to be creative.

I hate the height and weight part! How am I supposed to figure out that. I don't even know my own height and weight. I love the appearance, personality, and history parts of a CS though because I get to be creative.
The only time I ever add height and weight is if the CS is supposed to mimic some sort of official form that would have said information. Still, it serves no purpose in the RP unless a character is designed to be super light or heavy (or something along those lines). So yes, I definitely agree with you there.

Last edited:
The only time I ever add height
. Still, it serves no purpose in the RP unless a character is designed to be super light or heave (or something along those lines)
To be fair, knowing the character's height can actually be pretty useful, that way you can know what the character would be able to reach or see or whether they could wear someone else's clothes and many other things. I agree on the weight thing, and while different measuring systems making height a little hard to fill sometimes, it's for a good cause

Well as a 1x1 roleplayer it sort of varies on whether or not I use a character sheet at all. But when I do use them I think the most important / most interesting parts are usually

Special Abilities ( usually magic or super powers but really anything that makes your character stand out a little )

Character Overview ( in larger roleplays this would be the bio I guess. as it says just an overview of the character that gets me excited to hear more about them )

Parts I don't Like

- blood type
- likes / dislikes
- sexuality ( unless relationships are a key part of the plot )

Why would that be on a CS to begin with. That seems like the most useless tidbit of information unless the roleplay is about doctors and blood doners.
There are two main reasons why these are used. 1: There was/is a Japanese myth that blood type describes personality (hence why many Japanese characters blood types are given). 2: Some character sheets are designed to resemble "official" documents, so sections like blood type is added in an attempt to increase immersion or hype. I'm guilty of the latter (on 2 or 3 occasions), but I've decided it's pretty ineffective.

Least:
- Meaningless flavor details. I was once given a CS that asked for my character's "scent" and "favorite color". like wtf?

Most:
- Personality, powers and abilities. These are wonderful to write, and it really it's what defines your character the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back