• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Land of Lynthia

besides, dragons are worth much more then any silly princess... but... what if.. the princess is the dragon? Dragons can actually transform into a human form so...

my brain... it hurts...

my god....that...would mean we killd the dragon AND the princes....

But i will go with a T-Rex that has explosive Punching gloves *No referance there*

I'm interested. This "powers must be original" thing sounds like it's a recipe for real creativity. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

i have one in minde...hehehe...it the most unique thing i could think of xD

DrBones said:
I'm interested. This "powers must be original" thing sounds like it's a recipe for real creativity. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
More like recipe for taking powers of some relatively unknown character from a relatively unknown show, 'improvising', and claiming it to be 'original', more like.

But don't mind me. I'm just the meta snarker.

simj22 said:
More like recipe for taking powers of some relatively unknown character from a relatively unknown show, 'improvising', and claiming it to be 'original', more like.
But don't mind me. I'm just the meta snarker.
latest

@Orikanyo

Yep, spots are still open I believe! Though I should probably stop on how many members join from here... At this point we're going to have too many! xD

Which I didn't think would happen at all! I'm sure we're fine, though, and it'll just give us that much more creativity!

@simj22

Will do! ^^

KatsaNovari said:
@Orikanyo
Yep, spots are still open I believe! Though I should probably stop on how many members join from here... At this point we're going to have too many! xD

Which I didn't think would happen at all! I'm sure we're fine, though, and it'll just give us that much more creativity!

@simj22

Will do! ^^
In my experience with roleplaying, keeping signups open permanently is almost always a good idea. Some people will flake, ragequit, get caught up in real life, or just plain stop posting regardless of what you do, but making it so that new characters can join at any time will allow you to replenish any players that have dropped out.

DrBones said:
In my experience with roleplaying, keeping signups open permanently is almost always a good idea. Some people will flake, ragequit, get caught up in real life, or just plain stop posting regardless of what you do, but making it so that new characters can join at any time will allow you to replenish any players that have dropped out.
He-is-right-you-know.jpg

(Ok i will stop)

I was thinking to make things from Powers looking SO similer amd Claming them being "Original" we shoold start like creating them now and keep em in a List or somthing.....But that is just me

Does an ability that isn't creative count if it gets used creatively?

Also, I think I've recovered now :D

My RPs have gained some life too.

@KatsaNovari

Are you familiar with the anime Fairy Tail? In it, there's a character, Gray, who has the power to control ice. However, instead of just using it to freeze things, he uses it to do things such as make a giant fist of ice and punch someone with it. That's what I mean. Uncreative power, creative use.

@KatsaNovari

@TheJipan

I believe the trope you're looking for is

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LethalHarmlessPowers

EDIT: A more straightforwards example would be the ability to 'push'.

"Push?" You say. "What kinda weakass shit is that?"

Well, some dude capitalises on this ability by pushing EVERYTHING AWAY. Pain, projectiles, enemies, attacks, etc. It sounds weak on paper, but when applied, it just becomes a whole new level of bullshittery.

Another would be manipulating scalar values, since everyone is all about vectors. By simply altering the magnitude of a speeding projectile to a negative number, one can reflect the projectile back along its path of travel or even halt projectiles by changing the magnitude to 0.

Lotsa shit like that

......reading that link just made my minde open.....so many posibilities....and aswell scary as hell,i dont whant dogs coming out of me!

My favourite is Reimu's from Touhou.

Her main ability is to 'fly', which sounds pretty shit seeing as everyone else in the series knows how to fly already, being witches and beings of undeniable power.

However, her ability is to FLY ANYWHERE, not just fly. That means she can fly AWAY FROM REALITY, rendering her invulnerable. If she wasn't limited by the rules of the game, she could technically never be hit.

......simple things turn out to be deadly as hell..well seem you help us all boosting imagination to the next level

I would recommend not going powerwanky. It's just absolutely no fun when all players are going around and saying "Nuh-uh! I can just push away the concept of life and death, making me invincible!" and "Uh-nuh! I can just remove the border between the real world and my imagination, making your invincible not a thing!".

I'd recommend using some creative powers, but restricting them. You can fly, but you can't fly away from reality or can only fly for a short while. You can create constructs out of ice, but they can only be a certain size and minimum temperature.

I'm pretty sure that's just a standard rule for powers in RPs - to make them balanced. And the main reason most of these OP uses are so OP is because the power is vague, not because it was used creatively.

TheJipan said:
I'm pretty sure that's just a standard rule for powers in RPs - to make them balanced. And the main reason most of these OP uses are so OP is because the power is vague, not because it was used creatively.
But see, a man who is stupid enough not to realise the potential of vague wording is not creative enough to exploit it.

Take a jojo bizarre adventure character for instance, who is both versions of this. His ability is to DELETE anything he touches. He, however, being the idiot he is, only uses it to create vacuum in the space between him and his opponent by deleting the air in front of him, which draws in his opponent towards him just so he can sock em in the face with his fist. He never once thinks about using his power to, I dont know, erase his opponents right out. Creative use? Yes. Stupid way of using it? Yes.

Same goes for seemingly crappy powers like telepathy. A man with super strength may be able to level entire city blocks and outclass a man with telepathy in combat. However, a man with telepathy is able to incite a riot, create an army out of the people he can manipulate through just reading their thoughts should he choose his words wisely. And if this super strength dude crushes these innocent people who follow the telepath, he will be shunned as a mass murderer, turning the world against him. It's quadratic wizards vs linear warriors. The lesson here is not to discount seemingly useless skills, and not to overestimate seemingly powerful skills.

All in all, even if the power is 'vague', as you say, creativity also runs alongside utility. Fail to think when using a vaguely worded power, you fail to be creative.

simj22 said:
Same goes for seemingly crappy powers like telepathy. A man with super strength may be able to level entire city blocks and outclass a man with telepathy in combat. However, a man with telepathy is able to incite a riot, create an army out of the people he can manipulate through just reading their thoughts should he choose his words wisely. And if this super strength dude crushes these innocent people who follow the telepath, he will be shunned as a mass murderer, turning the world against him. It's quadratic wizards vs linear warriors. The lesson here is not to discount seemingly useless skills, and not to overestimate seemingly powerful skills.
If we are going the "very specific but massive godmode" power route, the man with superstrength could just lift the power from the telepath and throw it into the sun to never be seen again.

When you can twist the definition of something due to its poor wording to suit your mood, we enter into a bullshit thesaurus contest where the person who can find more synonyms for that word wins the fight. Every character gets to do everything, which despite sounding like a neat and fun idea, it will get boring.

- Well, I use my superstrength to punch you!

- Nuh uh, I use my pushing power to push your arm ten centimeters to the right.

- Well no, I punched so hard reality bent and destroyed your head due to the explosion.

- Yeah, but I push the clock back five seconds and I am alive again.

- I punch the clock in the face and ask him to take his retconning bullshit away

- I push the clock to stop being such a pussy and fight you

- I stop your pushing by holding against it

- I PUSH YOUR PAIN.

Better get original, but limited powers. Any "has total control over this concept" will result in some really nasty fights that will never end.

Well this is really knew, I never thought I'd see the day where I'd come in to an RP discussion where creativity is being discussed and sounds like a brilliant idea, but then suddenly hinges on the border of being just ridiculous xD

That link really did open my mind to many more possibilities for powers, and I may just include that in with the thread to help inspire others with figuring out abilities for their character(s). But as it was mentioned before, there needs to be a limit when actually applying this to something, especially an RP. While I'm not quite familiar with some of the animes or whatever else they mentioned in the link, the ones I am familiar with, such as One Peace, they were still limited and reasonable with what they did. All this talk about being able to toss aside reality and bends the rules of physics even more so than they would of had to to use their ability in the first place doesn't quite sit right with me, the same way it doesn't sit right when someone tries to make their character creative by throwing random and bright colors on them "just cause".

Regardless, the character sheet for the thread won't allow that much vagueness to give the Rper or character the chance to twist and stretch their ability as much as they like in any given situation. One of the requirements is to describe said ability in detail and list its possible uses (though it doesn't necessarily need to be all of them but just a basic idea) so I'll be able to determine if it's creative enough as well as not insanely powerful or unreasonable to have in the RP.

That said, I'm not against the idea of expanding on a "common power" at all. If it's done well enough, then I'm all for it! But while we are talking about a world with mystical creatures and people born with powers, it should all still make sense. Take the "Push" ability for examble... While I can get entirely how it can work with physical things, being able to "push" time or pain away makes absolutely no sense to me. I mean, the part with pain would if they "pushed" away the source of harm that would have caused it, like a bullet or blade. Otherwise, it just sounds like clever word play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back