• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern KNOCK KNOCK - A S.W.A.T 4 / READY OR NOT INSPIRED RP

Hard Boiled

Ovum Enthusiast
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
"911, what is the location of your emergency?"

A question the fifty-six year-old communications technician had asked thousands of times, leaning exhaustedly over her office keyboard. At around three in the morning, the last thing she needed to talk down a domestic dispute for another twenty minutes, or send some poor cops to explain to an old lady that, no, CVS Pharmacy will not accept Amazon gift cards. All routine calls for her after nearly thirty years on the job, and she expected no different from this one.

"Th-The gas station on Pitkin Avenue!" A hushed male blurted back, the chill of his tone violently pulling the woman out of her daze. Every breath from the man's lips were audible into the microphone as if he had his phone directly against his face, hurried footfalls tapping around him "They have guns, I think they're trying to rob the place!"

"Sir, who has guns? How many people are there?" The operator ran through her questionnaire, immediately preparing to notify local units on her computer. There was only one gas station on Pitkin Avenue in the south side of Los Suenos, address 2371 Pitkin Ave. According to her charts, there should be a patrol car nearby to take a look.

"I don't know, three, four? I didn't stop and count...!"

"Okay, sir, try and breathe for me. Where are you now? Are you in a safe location?"

"I-I think so, I'm hiding in a box here for Christ's sakes!" The shuffling of clothing against cardboard appeared to confirm.

"Alright, stay on the line with me, police are on the way."

"Hurry!"

The operator clicked a button on her receiver to switch channels.
"Central BCC to portable unit twelve."

"Twelve." A young man responded.

"Unit twelve, respond code 3 to a 211 at the gas station 2371 Pitkin Avenue, be advised, multiple armed suspects, possible barricade/hostage situation. Suggest forming a perimeter and waiting for backup."

"10-4, twelve is code 3 to Pitkin."

Chief Haggerty clicked the pause button on the tape once the recording had finished, turning to his unit with crossed arms.
"That call came in about forty minutes ago. The responding officer attempted to make entry against advisement, and was shot for his trouble. We believe the suspects are now holding Officer Arlington hostage along with two reported gas station workers and at least one customer. Black-and-whites have 'em surrounded, but they don't seem to be in the talking mood, so we're up, gentlemen."

Before the Chief stood the Los Suenos Police Department Special Weapons And Tactics unit, LSPD S.W.A.T, whose blaring pagers had stolen them from their wives and homes in the dead of night. Yet unwavering they stood, fully prepared for the task at hand. These operators show no hesitation. They trust their training. They trust the man behind them. They move as one with a single goal: neutralize the threat.

---

Good morning/afternoon/evening. I am a Hard Boiled Egg, but my friends simply call me Egg.
Above is the manifestation of man's innate desire to bust down doors and get the bad guys. That, or I'm a really big fan of S.W.A.T 4 and Ready or Not.

If you're not familiar with either title, both are, as the former's title implies, S.W.A.T team "simulators" that follow a five-man unit as they respond to various scenarios including high-risk warrant service, mass acts of terror, and robberies gone wrong similar to the one you just read. The games combine heart-racing room-to-room clearing with striking set pieces as officers must complete objectives whilst differentiating suspect from civilian, engaging in firefights, and avoiding environmental hazards. They focus heavily on environmental storytelling, often choosing to show instead of tell, and are able to convey entire stories with simple object placement. This formula is something I have never seen effectively put into RP form, and I would like to try and do so.

However, if this RP is to take place, there will be two non-negotiable and somewhat contradictory rules.

Rule one: All sensitive subject matters are to be handled as "tastefully" as possible. That is to say, there will be no glorification or spectacles made of the events to take place. Situations may be inspired by real events, similarly to the games, but there will be no recreation of actual events. The crimes committed will serve to further the story, they will not be the story itself, and ultimately the point isn't to show how awesome of an explosion you can describe, nor is it to show how cool and detached your officer is from suffering.

Rule two: Don't take the RP too seriously. The premise itself is already a bit ridiculous: L.A.P.D S.W.A.T in reality employs around 60 officers, they would never send a five-man team to clear a structure with twenty-something bad guys in it. This RP will require a hefty suspension of disbelief during action sequences, so don't think we're going to be busting down the door with all of delta platoon behind us. That being said, and this is very important, there will be NO John Wicks/Jason Bournes/Captain Prices/one-man-armies. The point of this RP is to explore the intrapersonal and human aspects of ordinary men and women in extraordinary situations. Your operator is highly skilled and meticulously trained, but they're not a super soldier, nor are they invincible. If you try and ace ten guys with only your sidearm, you're going to get smoked. These officers work as a unit, and are nothing if not team players. Don't get me wrong, a fair dose of edginess is invited - Hell, "special forces" RPs and edginess are like peanut butter and jelly - but just remember to keep it grounded if nothing else.

With all of that out of the way, this interest check is exactly that: a feeler to see who I can muster for such an undertaking. Applicants should have at least a rudimentary understanding of small unit tactics and close quarters combat, or at least be willing to learn (Believe me, I'm no expert). If I can get a solid team of writers, I'll absolutely get this going. Reply below to show interest.

You in?

Last edited:
Would probably put myself in the "willing to learn" category to be safe but interested.
Great, the RP really wouldn't be all gun geeking/uber tactical stuff, just as long as you know like what each person's job is in a four-man stack and how to use points of domination. It'll all mostly be implied that your character knows what they're doing.

I can hardly believe it. Never expected to see anything RoN-inspired here.

1686781954809.png

I would like to say I am tentatively interested! My hesitation comes from the fact that I am not knowledgeable about tactics and haven't really done combat-focused RPs in the past. In fact, I am just getting back into roleplaying after a long hiatus of a decade or longer. However, I am willing to learn. My favorite book series years ago in high school was Star Wars: Republic Commando, which detailed a lot of close-quarters combat maneuvers, so I suppose I could say I am at least vaguely familiar with them? I also played the hell out of the Republic Commando PC game, which focuses on 4-man squad combat.

The strong, plantoic love that can easily form between people in tense situations deeply fascinates me and makes my heart happy. Because I am a pacifist myself, I believe this unique type of relationship has been the driving force behind my interest in WW2 and the military in general. As such, it is something I'd love to explore in an RP. To me, I think a "brotherhood" type relationship like those between soldiers or police is the best relationship one could ever ask for on this corporeal plane. (This is coming from someone with absolutely no experience with such things, though)

I would like to say I am tentatively interested! My hesitation comes from the fact that I am not knowledgeable about tactics and haven't really done combat-focused RPs in the past. In fact, I am just getting back into roleplaying after a long hiatus of a decade or longer. However, I am willing to learn. My favorite book series years ago in high school was Star Wars: Republic Commando, which detailed a lot of close-quarters combat maneuvers, so I suppose I could say I am at least vaguely familiar with them? I also played the hell out of the Republic Commando PC game, which focuses on 4-man squad combat.

The strong, plantoic love that can easily form between people in tense situations deeply fascinates me and makes my heart happy. Because I am a pacifist myself, I believe this unique type of relationship has been the driving force behind my interest in WW2 and the military in general. As such, it is something I'd love to explore in an RP. To me, I think a "brotherhood" type relationship like those between soldiers or police is the best relationship one could ever ask for on this corporeal plane. (This is coming from someone with absolutely no experience with such things, though)
You really don’t need much tactical knowledge for this one besides the very very basics. I’ve linked to a few good sources in an intelligence tab for once I get the RP going.

Also as a side note, if there’s enough dedicated interest I’ll consider changing from a 5 man team to a 7 man team but let’s see how CSes do first. Link to be posted soon.

Alright everyone!
Valky-Nyan Valky-Nyan Goonfire Goonfire ThreeFive ThreeFive ONI ONI Maverick Six Maverick Six Jabroni Jabroni Bronco Bronco candygore candygore

Below is the CS page, if anybody wants to get started while I work on the information pages. Specifics of uniforms, weapons, equipment, etc. will be posted in the Intelligence tab when ready. If we get enough dedicated people, I'll absolutely consider upgrading from the standard five-man unit to a seven-man unit. I may also start up a very basic discord server for OOC, since I find that much easier than RpN's OOC system, but I'll update that when it becomes necessary. Please DM me with any questions!

Another note - The text coloring thing is just something my friends and I did originally to keep track of characters in long strings of text, but now I just do it because I like to. Feel free to do the same or to not do it at all. I can explain the text coloring rules that I follow if anyone's interested.

Intelligence tab is up for equipment and operations specifics, will likely be updated at some point in the future but this is a good start.

Apologies, I don't think I will be able to join this one, unfortunately, as I got busy at work and took too long to come up with a character. I hope everyone has fun, though!

Apologies, I don't think I will be able to join this one, unfortunately, as I got busy at work and took too long to come up with a character. I hope everyone has fun, though!
Thank you for your interest!

Very cool stuff. I hope you don't mind me lurking! I used to love SWAT 4 and I've dabbled in RoN, but more than that CRIM is my field of study and I'm currently transitioning into law enforcement as my career field. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to tactical police units and the like.

Last edited:
Very cool stuff. I hope you don't mind me lurking! I used to love SWAT 4 and I've dabbled in RoN, but more than that CRIM is my field of study and I'm currently transitioning into it as my career field. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to tactical police units and the like.
Great to have you!

If you're interested, we still have one SIERRA spot open 👀

Great to have you!

If you're interested, we still have one SIERRA spot open 👀

Oh man. I am sorely tempted and I already have a character concept roiling around in my brain, no less... but I have a lot on my plate right now and I don't think I'd be able to commit the time needed.

I'll give it some thought, though, and let you know if anything changes! I appreciate the offer :D

Correction, with a recent vacancy we have TWO spots open! Both Red-Two and Sierra-Two are available if anyone wants to put in an application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back