• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Knights of Pine Shrew

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Esmeralda was not surprised to hear Argos bringing up such details, the best way to finally defeat Pineshrew once and for all was to destroy the morale of the people. By the looks on the faces of the villagers, he had succeeded in such a plight. Esmeralda quite frankly impressed and began to understand the severity of the situation and the fact that she might end the day in death.

"That feeling is nothing new," thought Esmeralda, 'I haven't felt safe since I before I became a knight. Guess it just comes with the job."

Esmeralda let the fire burn in her eyes as Argos stomped over to her, grabbing her face roughly, causing Esmeralda to taste blood in her mouth. Argos then proposed the question, 'join him or die.' Esmeralda considered both options, both having their benefits. Death would be a sweet reunion with her parents but would separate from Corrian. By joining Argos, Esmeralda would be on what she believed on the winning side of history, a side she'd never been on before.

"I will join you Argos," she replied hoarsely, "But with two conditions. Give me Corrian back, and let me kill the Ork general that killed my father. After such terms are met I will do whatever you require of me."

Argos could see the thoughts in Esmeralda's mind turning. She like anyone else desired power. Her answer was swift and the wiser of the two choices. "So the subjugation of Pineshrew will be complete." He released her face and took a step back. Argos looked for his work General. A hulking figure not much shorter than himself. "Grandor! here." The Ork general nodded and walked to face Argos. Argos took Grandors great blade and handed it to Esmeralda.

"My lord?" Grandor raised an eyebrow.

"Are you ready to become more Grandor?" Argos spoke with steely intent.

"Yes my lord." Grandor took a knee and put a fist over his chest. "VIctory through death." Grandor bowed his head and waited.

Argos handed the heavy Ork blade of black metal to Esmeralda. "Strike him down and consider it the beginning of your oath to me. As for Corrian, I will give you charge of Kastor as your second. After me of course." Argos took a step back and stood a few paces away. He was not foolish enough to stand right next to Esmeralda with a sword. Kastor took place between him and her. Just for good measure. Her attachment to Corrian could be used to keep her in line. He would do well to keep them close.

Eculind was growing frantic. What was Esmeralda doing? It didn't matter she had finished the rune. Now she just needed to check it for errors. Quickly at that, before Esmeralda could be sworn to Argos.

Esmeralda balanced the ork blade in her hands, amazed by the simplicity of the situation. Here she was finally able to feel at peace for her actions, one moment to avenge them all. Yes, she was joining the side of what she believed to be her enemy previously, but any history lesson taught you that victors are the ones that write the history book. She only prayed that history would look back kindly on her action here and that her parents would forgive her for it later.

"This is for you father," she muttered, bringing her blade down swiftly, killing the Ork.

Esmeralda tried to pay no mind to the townsfolk that let out a collective gasp as her sword fell down, letting all of them know that Esmeralda Ruiz had finally betrayed them She averted their gaze by turning back to Argos, ready to serve him in all of her capacity, even if it ended in her death. She barely felt the tears streaming down her face as she set the sword down on the ground, trying to show she had no hostility to Argos.

"Now that's done," she replied sternly, "Give me Corrian."

A low chuckle came from Argos as Grandor's head rolled along the floor. Argos walked over and scooped the head off the ground. The body of Grandor was scooped up by tendrils of dark magic. "You will have Corrian soon enough. Now we begin your oath." Argos walked over and tore the blade free of Esmeralda's hand. He threw the weapon to the ground and covered his hand in the blood of the Ork. He smeared the green blood on Esmeralda's face. He took more blood on his hand and smeared it along her arms and chest as well. "As you are now, you are too weak. Leaders in my army must be strong. You must be strong." Argos grabbed Esmeralda by the forearm.

He lifted her up so she stood on her toes. A dark tendril-like mist flowed down his arm towards her. Slowly it encompassed her and the Ork blood began to glow. Esmeralda's form began to alter. It was subtle changes. Her arms gained more definition, she grew an extra inch taller and a dark aura enveloped her. "As my power grows so will yours!" Argos growled in pain and the pain transferred to Esmeralda as well. He fell to a knee and the power transfer was complete. Argos grunted in pain sweat dripping from him.

He staggered to his hooves and took a few steps away. "Our new leader rises with me. What shall we call her?"

"Essie!" Eculind whispered urgently."What are you doing? You started a magical contract with him. I need to get you out of there now!" Eculind began powering her rune bright light began to glow and the spell began to power up.

Life had never been kind to Esmeralda, it didn't seem to want to get any better. She cried out in deep pain as the blackness surrounded her and started to remind her of every pain she had once had. Heart pounding, Esmeralda's being became consumed with one single emotion, grief, and her mind began to unconsciously replay specific events in her life that played to it.

It first started when she was but a girl of 11, anxiously awaiting her parent's return from war. She had stayed at her Aunt Isabella's house during the duration of the first war of Pineshrew at the request of her parents. After spotting her father saddled somberly near the west fields, Esmeralda ran up to him in the curiosity of her mother. Lord Alvaro Ruiz then told Esmeralda that her mother was gone, but refused to tell her how exactly she died. The memory faded with a young Esmeralda crying and beating at her father's leg, simply unable to believe her mother was dead.

Her memory then shot 6 months later, where he and her father attended her mother's funeral. They buried an empty casket that day, which also was the day Emserlada promised herself she would become a warrior, just like her mother. She started her training with Zathar in the palace grounds soon after and became stronger and stronger every day until she became a knight at 23. However, during her servitude as a knight, she became responsible for the death of two men over the duration of one and a half days. And while she was able to revive one of those men, soon later she would be responsible for another death, resulting in her losing her title and honor, and stripping another kingdom of its queen. Finally, her mind replayed the events of today, especially her father's death. She had never felt so hopeless before, and all she could remember was the sadness it caused her.

:::::

If the mightily Argos was reduced to having to take a knee after transferring such power, you can only imagine what would happen to the human that was receiving it. While stronger in nature, Esmeralda's body collapsed onto the dirt, simply exhausted. Esmeralda struggled to get up, her new muscles helping her little. During this maneuver, Esmeralda heard a desperate voice come out of the amulet, Eculind's voice.

"Eculind," Esmeralda whispered back, voice on the verge of tears, "Just make the pain stop."

Eculind's connection was simply so she could see and hear what Esmeralda did. Yet as she saw the pain the poor girl suffered she felt bits of her pain in her own way. "Poor Esmeralda," Eculind spoke her words of power and moved her hands in the configuration of power. "I'll end your pain."

A portal opened before Eculind and she stepped through, the rune glowed and vibrated.

Argos staggered back as Eculind unleashed powerful shockwaves of pure energy. Argos was flung backward into a wall leaving a crater in its place. "Through the portal now!" Eculind grabbed Esmeralda and threw her through the portal. Kastor lunged forward and swiped at Eculind In the blink of an eye Eculind dodged and stood behind Kastor. She clapped her hands and a gust of wind pushed Kastor through the portal as well.

Only moments had passed but Eculind had been out of her castle too long already. The rune began to crack under the pressure it tried to hold back. Eculind had time for one more move. New words and hand movements flowed from her and a crackle of electricity flew through the air into a brewing storm. Lighting surged and rained down on the forces of Argos. Eculind huffed from exertion and ran back into her portal as it closed behind her.

Then the pain started. The rune broke and searing electricity coursed through her body. A male voice boomed in the small room. "You know the rules! DO not leave or interfere with the outside unless ordered!"

Just like that, it was over and Eculind lay on the ground panting. She looked around briefly. "Is everyone ok?"

Esmeralda was glad of Eculind grabbing her she was unsure of her will to even move anymore. Soon after, Esmeralda slumped into the plush carpets of Eculind's room, finally free from the clutches of Argos. Esmeralda then turned and threw up on the floor, not used to the feeling of teleportation. Wiping her mouth, Esmeralda tuned to Eculind.

"Thank you," she replied softly, "For saving us."

Esmeralda kept her eyes averted to the ground, not wanting to gaze into the eyes of her friend in fear of bursting into tears. Forcing herself up, Esmeralda went to go sit in the corner, wanting nothing more than to be alone with her thoughts. She barely comprehended that Eculind had also brought her lover as well, though Corrian was still in the Kastor form. Esmeralda stared at the wall, feeling numb and in shock, and began to zone out of the room, eventually falling asleep.

Kastor Snarled and looked about the room in confusion. Before he could flee back into the portal it closed. He looked to Eculind with wild eyes teeth barred. Then Esmeralda spoke and he turned to her in turn. "What did you do! I was in control!" Kastor took a step towards Eculind with menacing intent. Claws flashed and his talons lacked against the stone in the room. A yellow light began to grow in the room. "Oh no..." Eculind looked at Kastor and Esmeralda. "You two can't be here right now." She summoned her magic with a flick of her hands shot magic at Esmeralda and Kastor. Kastor fell limp to the ground and looked to be a great rug. Esmeralda was turned into a large black and red chest. It was better than illusion magic and would hopefully be enough to deceive the king.

The yellow light in the center of the room took shape into the form of the high king. First, it was just a soft misty version but it hardened and took shape until the king really did stand in the room towering over Eculind. Eculind bowed low. "High king Vestoko, how may I be of service?" She was quickly swept aside by a powerful hand and slammed into a wall.

"Whom do you serve!?" The tall shining figure of the king in his golden armor took up the room. He nearly brushed the ceiling with his crowned head. He seemed to be wearing battle armor of some kind.

"You High King!" Eculind coughed and crumpled to the floor.

"Then why do you defy me? Do you not have what you need here? Are you lacking in servants or playthings or supplies? I need you to find me my next candidate for my soldiers." His voice boomed and shook the room.

"No High king" Esmeralda was on all fours now before the king. "I have all that I need. I will find you the next soul for your project. And a proper sacrifice. All that I am I owe to you I will repay."

Vestoko smiled grimly. "See to it. Argos is moving swiftly, He will bring Baile to me and hosts of flesh and bodies to churn in the great machine of war. Baile will come under my control and again we will make the most powerful soldiers unleash on our enemies." Vestoko moved with uncanny swiftness and pinned Eculind to the ground. Shoving her face hard into the stone. "I want the potions of transformation to be ready."

"Yes, my King." She huffed out "They are very nearly complete. Three of them this time."

"Good. But I will want more." Vestoko rolled her over and kicked at her ribs lightly. "Behave." He turned and walked to the center of the room. He paused looking at the strange werewolf carpet for a moment. "child." He scoffed and dissolved into mist.

Eculind staggered to her feet and brushed herself off breathing shakily. "Well, crap. Glad I had three batches this time. OH!" She snapped and Esmeralda and Kastor returned to their normal forms. Eculind marched over to Kastor who wheezed in confusion and she began to drag the dark magic out of him that Argos used to transform him. Kastor growled and grunted but before long returned into his human form. "That's better."

Corrian stood naked now and Eculind groaned. "Horrid!" She snapped and he was clothed in the dining clothes of a noble. "Better." She turned to Esmeralda who was unconscious. She cast a healing spell on the girl and put her in a luxurious robe and moved her into a comfortable chair. Eculind gave the girl a hug. Gently squeezing her awake. "I was so worried I thought I lost you there for a bit. You need to be more careful!"

Corrian came to Esmeralda's side as well and cupped her hands in his. "Essie?"

Esmeralda did not dream as she fell asleep, her body doing too exhausted to do so and slept through the whole King Vestoko debacle. As Esmeralda was gently shaken awake, her mind felt clearer and simply better. Tingles shot through her body as she felt the touch of Corrian, something she didn't even know she yearned for. Flinging herself into him, Esmeralda inhaled his scent, glad he was back.

"I-" she tried to speak, but the tears streaming down her face made it difficult to do so, "I-I missed you so much."

Clinging onto him harder Esmeralda finally let herself go and broke down in his arms. She had experienced such a range of emotions in the past day that it simply felt overwhelming. The one comfort she had was being in Corrian's arms, the one thing still tethering her to reality.

Last edited:
Eculind backed away as Esmeralda flung herself into Corrian instead. Half a frown showed on Eculinds face as she felt she deserved a hug for her heroic actions, though she saw this was not a hug of gratitude but rather one of sorrow. Eculind could wait for her thanks she supposed. Though something bothered her. Esmeralda looked different. It was subtle but she waved a hand to view Esmeraldas magical alignment. Previously the girl had almost no affinity for magic. Yet now great power for dark magic roiled in her almost out of control. She would need to be instructed to control such soon, or there would be consequences.

Corrian wrapped the distraught girl in his arms. He had seen most of what happened to her. Through Kastors eyes but he had seen it all the same. Her father was killed. The people of Pineshrew were doomed and she had been racked with pain as the dark magic was given to her by Argos. How much more would this girl have to endure? He picked her up in his arms and grabbed her under the legs to support her weight. He carried her over to one of the large pillows the Eculind kept scattered around. Esmeralda was heavier than he remembered as well. He paid such little mind and laid the girl down next to him on the cushion. “My poor Essie. I’m so sorry.” He kept a hand on her back and stroked at their hair. He let her cry and gently rocked with her in her throbs of sorrow. He looked to Eculind, “Can we stay here for a while?”

Eculind nodded, “please stay the night and however many nights you need after that as well.”

“Thanks.” He nodded to Eculind and then returned his attention to Esmeralda. He nuzzled his face into her head. “I’m so glad you made it Esmeralda. You are so strong to survive all that.” He kept up the gentle words and encouragement to her. For the most part he just held her close. He felt immense relief that they had survived. He didn’t know what he would do if he had lost her. Worse yet if he had been the one to kill her.

Esmeralda couldn't respond very well through the tears to Corrian's words, though she felt them. His soothing presence eventually calmed Esmeralda into sleep, where she came in and out of nightmares, keeping a deep clutch onto Corrian during the whole thing. The pair stayed the rest of the night in such a position, until day began to break.

Getting up softly so as to not wake Corrian up, Esmeralda went and washed her face. As her tears washed down the drain Esmerlada's mind began to become clearer, and she became very calm. Walking out of the room, Esmeralda went to go talk to Eculind desperate to get some answers.

"Hey Eculind," she said softly, "I would like to apologize for my behavior yesterday and not thanking for saving me and Corrian earlier. Could you tell me a little more about what exactly I did with Argos? My mind is still a little foggy on that front."

Corrian had stayed up late in his attempts to console Esmeralda, he felt inadequate for the task before him. How could he help a girl who had suffered so much tragedy? Yet at some point her sobs ceased as she fell into a slumber. He rested his eyes soon after that and drifted off soon after she did.

Eculind was estranged by the whole ordeal. She wanted to help but Corrain seemed to be a better source for that then herself. She busied herself with little projects throughout the night. Eculind slept little. Her body had progressed to a point that sleep was no longer a necessity. Magic was everything that fueled her life now. So when Esmeralda arose Eculind was just as peppy as ever. She flung herself onto the distraught girl in a hug. She snuggled into the girls arms as best she could. “You don’t need to apologize for your behavior. You had quite a day. So did I actually.” She rubbed at the back of her head where the king had pushed her. It was still sore from the immense force. “A friend like you is worth all the trouble though.” Eculind took a moment to process that she had been asked a question as well. “OH!” She snapped her fingers and changed her outfit and sat in a high back chair. She wore a dark grey suit and round black glasses, her hair done in a high bun. A leather chair similar to hers appeared behind Esmeralda. “Sit my dear.” A gust of wind encouraged Esmeralda to sit in the chair. “Comfortable? I hope so there is quite a bit to teach you now.”

Eculind steepled her hands. “You have entered into a magical contract with Argos. A very strong one at that. Dark magic courses through your body even now.” She waved her hand again to view her magic. It was less tumultuous now but still very strong. “How your powers will manifest will be interesting to witness. You need to learn how to control it. You almost made a grave mistake though. If he had finished the contract.” She shuddered for a moment. “I could only imagine the power!” She cackled and held out her hands palms up. Dark orbs of purple energy floated in each. “But who is the victor!?” She lifted one hand over the other. “And who is foe?” she whispered and looked down at the lower hand now with a smaller ball of magic. She lowered her left hand with the large ball of power towards the smaller orb. The two joined and a small lighting storm flashed as the energies refused to mix.

“Your magic is tied to Argos as he was trying to tie you to him. Trying to enslave you.” Eculind licked her lips and chuckled. “Keep you as a toy, a pet. A very fierce powerful pet.” Her eyes darted to Corrian for a moment. “But… You got away before he could finish.” Eculind slowly stood and stretched for a moment before stalking over to Esmeralda. She put her face within inches of Esmeralda’s “we need to manifest your power. Discover it! Shape it. Focus inside of you.” Eculind backed up and tapped at her chest. “Feel inside, the power, it should feel strong, it wants to be let out. Let some out. Just a little bit see what it does.” Eculind demonstrated guiding dark magic out of herself and into her hand. Small black tentacles like the ones Argos and King Baile used danced in her palm. She closed her palm and the magic dissipated.

Esmerlada nodded at Eculind's words, memories coming back to her. She, like King Baile, had dark magical powers, a concept quite foreign to her. Breathing in and out Esmeralda began to try and access this new skill.

"So if I just focus on the power within my chest," she replied, "I can make it come out?"

Her mind began to focus on the blackness she felt within her heart. She imagined it flowing through her body and coming out through her hands. Black puffs of smoke began to emit out of Esmeralda's palms, causing her to let out a shocked gasp.

Corrian bolted upright as he heard Esmeralda gasp. He jumped up and looked around for some sign of danger. It was still only the three of them. Corrian heaved air and tried to draw a dagger that was no longer there. He ended up standing looking panicked holding nothing. "Esmerelda, what going on?" He caught his breath as he saw her holding a pulsing power in her hands. "Wha-" He shuddered a bit. "What is that?" He pointed at the smoke flowing in her hands.

"You couldn't do that before."

"That's right!" Eculind clapped gleefully. "She is a dark magic user now!" She circled around the girl. "She is going to be sooooo good at it too! She can already hold a basic mist form. Surely she could summon a large dark cloud to blind her enemies. Try Esmeralda try it!"

"Or don't" Corrian muttered. Dark magic bore only sorrow and pain for him. While he trusted Esmeralda to do something different than that the memory of what dark magic had down to him still haunted his mind. His memories of being born were not pleasant ones. Less born and more created. He was forced from the Direwolf he once was into what he was now. The process held greater pain than he could ever imagine.

"YOU!" he pointed at Eculind. "What will you teach her? Don't you see if she gains his power the HIgh king will want her. She will be forced to make more monsters! More people like me. We should hide this power. Not encourage it."

Eculind waved her hand in front of her face as though she was waving away a bad smell. "She will be fine. I will teach her real well. Only the good stuff ya know. The king will never know, after all, I can hide her. Change her if I have to. Plus don't you want to learn Essie?"

"Hey," she said, gripping onto Corrian's arm, "What do you mean about the High king trapping me?"

Turning to Eculind the reality of the situation began to set in. The High King of Cretos had trpped her here against her will.

"By God's bones Eculind, Are you trapped here?" Esmerlada ran ber hand through her hair, "Would he do the same to me?"

"The high king has her trapped." Corrian barked.

"For now," Eculind replied smugly. Her demeanor changed to one of sadness. "And probably for a long time still." She puckered her lips for a moment. "Yes, I am confined to the walls of my small castle." She looked down at the floor and huffed.

"See?!" Corrian pointed at Eculind. "you want to end up like her? If the king finds out about your power. About your connection to Argos...." He shook his head. "You need to hide your power."

"Corrian," Esmeralda said softly, "I understand your concern for me, but I hardly think it wise for me to simply give up on this newfound power. I'll be smart about it, and I trust Eculind to help me conceal such a thing."

Turning back to Eculind, Esmeralda summoned the black smoke again.

"So, how can I harness this."

Corrian crossed his arms and shook his head. "this is dangerous and you know it." He turned away and walked back over to a chair. He sat down. "I can't stop you though."

"OK! Magic time!" Eculind danced about the skipping with joy around the room. "Now you know how to manifest your magic." She talked over Esmeralda's shoulder. "Now you need to give it power. Purpose. What do you want it to do? What shape do you want it to take? What shape do you want to take? Magic can affect you or the things around you. Show the magic want you to want to guide it to be something. Later you can learn spells with real power. First, just give it purpose."

Esmeralda wanted to call out to Corrian and explain herself further but let the man be. Nodding at Eculind's words, Esmerlada began to go back to the dark magic concealed in her chest. Focusing on it, she let it course through her upper body, and emit itself through her palms. She watched as the black smoke seemed to larger in quantity, it now needing a purpose. Sending the smoke towards Eculind, Esmerlada tried to imagine it engulfing her in darkness.

However, as more and more smoke streamed out of her hands, Esmeralda could feel her body losing more and more strength until eventually she fell onto the floor, utterly exhausted.

Last edited:
Eculind raised a brow as the mist gathered in larger quantity this time. "Oh, that's good!" As the mist gathered around her Eculind she stood very still and waited to see what might happen. She was quickly surrounded by the mist and her vision reduced to nothing. "Hey, that's pretty great!" She walked forward and tripped over a cushion. She sprawled out on the floor. "Ok, you can stop now. Try to pull the mist back in."

Esmerlada regained herself as she listened to Eculind's teachings. To put it simply, Esmeralda could now reduce the vision of a single person, but doing so left her very tired. Stabilizing herself to a pillow Esmeralda imagined pulling the mist back in, and was surprised to find it listened to her. Little by little the black mist crawled it's way back into Esmeralda's hands until she could see Eculind clearly once more. Turning to Corrian, Esmerlada let out a small smile.

"See love, that wasn't anything special. I highly doubt the High King would want someone that could only do that. There is no need to worry about me."

Corrian huffed. "It's just a start. like any other magic user, you will crave more power, you'll grow stronger."

"Yes, you will get stronger!" Eculind cooed before she rose to her feet. "You can do more. Form the mist into something powerful. I will help you so you do not grow tired." Eculind put a hand on Esmeralda and said an incantation. Power flowed into Esmeralda. "Try again, try something new."

Eculind's spell caused a burst of energy to rise within Esmerlada. Summoning her fake magic once more, Esmerlada then imagined a dark rose appearing from her hand, and could feel it taking affect on her body. The more defined the rose became, the more tired she got. After about 10 seconds, Esmerlada released her hold on it laid down on a nearby pillow.

"Astounding. Creating beauty out of such magic." She brushed off the fatigue of assisting and let the girl rest when she laid down. She ignored the scowl that Corrian sent her way. "Don't be mad at me. Think about how she will be able to fend for herself. She isn't defenseless anymore."

Corrian grunted and looked away but only for a moment. His eyes drifted towards Esmeralda almost unbidden. He wasn't mad at her. But he was a little nervous. She was already a target for many people. Her list of enemies grew longer. Indeed this power was a chance for her to improve. She sorely needed it. He just wished it had happened a different way.

Eculind coached Esmeralda over the next few days and Corrian continued to object verbally. Though he never got in the way. Every night he still curled up next to Esmeralda and while he did not say it aloud he silently praised her for her strength and progression. She was stronger now. She would be able to protect herself. He would stand by her. Even if she used dark magic. As long as she didn't use it on him. like Argos did. Removing his free will.

"Ok Esmeralda, what do you want to learn today?"

Esmerlada's deal with Argos had not only given her dark magic, but also an increase in strength. Over the next few days Esmerlada would notice that she'd be more prone to do things and that her abilities as a magic user became more durable then they were prior. On the fifth night at staying at Eculind's, while in Corrian's arms, Esmeralda had a horrific nightmare.

Argos baked the order, "Kill them all," and walked off the scene, leaving the townspeople subject to the Ork army. She watched as they slaughtered each and everyone one of them, sliced their limb into bits and cook them into a stew that Argos ate day by day. The cries of the people screamed louder and louder.

Esmeralda woke up sweat drenching her forehead. Breathing heavily, Esmeralda got up out of bed swiftly and walked out onto the balcony, desperate for some fresh air. Gathering herself, Esmerlada sat out there for a while to overwhelmed to try and do much else. She barely noticed Eculind coming up behind her and asking her a question.

"Actually Eculind," she said softly, "would you mind if Corrian and I went into town today, I need to pick up a few things."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back