• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Knights of Pine Shrew

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
As night fell the sky only darkened some as it was still illuminated by the massive fire blazing in the hills near pinshrew castle. A patrol had come looking for Corrian and Esmeralda. They didn’t search very hard. Merely walking through parts of the woods. Two unknown people wandering the countryside were not seen as much of a threat. However the patrol was nothing to scoff at. Corrain had spotted at least four orks. Nothing to be trifled with if that was all the control consisted of. Yet there was more. Goblins, an ogre and more pegasus soared the sky. He doubted this was all there was that made up Argos army. “I did research on Pineshrew, but that was mostly to learn of king Baile and the people surrounding him. I know very little about the castle itself.”

Corrian led the way keeping them near the edge of the tree line but not so close as to risk exposing them. Corrian halted as the wind shifted and he picked up a new scent. He held out his hand to halt Esmeralda as well. He tensed at the scent and balled his fists. “Direwolves.”

Corrian was part direwolf. It was what lent him his large size and strength in wolf form. Yet this posed a unique challenge. Just as he could smell the Direwolves they could smell him. “Run.” Corrian grabbed Esmeraldas hand and started running. Seeing that she was running on her own he bolted across open ground with her in tow. No more than 20 seconds later a pack of direwolves broke out of the treeline and came charging at them. Their massive paws tore at the earth as they ran towards the pair. Standing near four feet tall on all fours their massive strides would surely catch them soon. They would be overtaken before long. In the brief glance he took to see them he counted 7 direwolves. Too many for him to fight off even with Esmeralda at his side. “Any idea?”

Esmeralda pondered the situation in front of her. Direwolves were fearsome creatures to behold, and what made it even worse was that they were here to kill her and Corrian. She pulled out her bow, figuring it be her best bet for now. Drawing back, Esmerlada sent an arrow into the gut of one of the direwolves, causing it to howl in pain as it fell to the ground. She let out a laugh at Corrian's words about her having any ideas.

"I don't have much experience with direwolves," replied Esmeralda, sending arrow into the kneecap of another direwolf, "You're the one that turns into one of them every month. Do you know of any weaknesses we could exploit."

“Like anything else. If you take the head off they die.” Corrian drew a knife and with a quick jump spun in the air and lodged a throwing knife into the head of a wolf before landing and continuing to run. He poured on speed but didn't want to outrun Esmeralda. Even with two wolves down, he saw a greater issue. "I don't see the Alpha! There are more wolves somewhere." He heard something from his left and began to turn but was tackled by a wolf larger than all the others. Four more wolves joined the fray and two ran at Esmeralda.

Corrian began fighting the large wolf but it quickly grabbed hold of his arm and began ragdolling him. "ESMERALDA RUN!"

Esmeralda nodded at Corrian's words, glad that dire wolves were very similar to others she had faced previously. Corrian then showed her how to kill them properly, giving Esmeralda a brand new objective.

"Hello beasties," she smirked as four more walked into view, "Come to get a little bit of the action to huh?"

She drew back quickly, aimed, and shot down one of the two wolves that were quickly approaching her. Grabbing her short sword, Esmeralda went down into a lunge ready to face the next one head-on. As soon as the wolf came within 20 feet of her Esmeralda leaped off of her back foot, shooting her into the air. She sent her sword its skull on her way back down to the ground, sending a spray of blood as the beast fell to the floor dead. She wiped the blood off her blade on her sleeve, it matching the red already there.

Turning back to Corrian she began to notice the swarm of wolves surrounding him, and what she assumed to be the alpha biting into Corrian's shoulder. Drawing back her bow she shot an arrow into the alpha's shoulder. No blood poured out of the shoulder, proving this beast would be more difficult to kill than the others, but what Esmeralda did do was get the attention of the pack.

"HEY YOU UGLY MUTT!" she yelled pulling out her shortsword, "HOW ABOUT YOU STOP TRYING TO MAKE A CHEW TOY OUT OF MY LOVER!"

Last edited:
Esmeralda was doing remarkably well against the Direwolves, even as the creatures began to surround her she fought on. It would be impressive to watch if he didn't have 4 inches of fangs digging into his forearm. Even as he was tossed about in the jaws of the beast he drew a dagger and tried to stab at the creature. Yet his attacks were ineffectual. He could not land a solid strike. Worse yet the Alpha was not working alone. Another Direwolf came and latched onto his leg. The two pulled at him and he pulled back trying to fight through the pain of it all.

He feared his limbs would be torn free of his body though. He screamed in agony and his scream turned into a howl. His muscles flew and stitched as his bones shifted and twisted. Corrian could not win this fight. Maybe Kastor could. A clawed hand ripped into the alpha and Kastor pulled his leg free. He grabbed the second wolf and tossed it a short distance away. Now he and the Alpha could have a fair fight. "Not a chew thing now..."

Esmeralda let out a gasp of shock as Corrian transformed into Kastor, thinking he could only do that once a month. She had other problems for her previous actions had sent now three direwolves running her way.

"By God's Bones," she muttered as she ran to the nearest tree, desperate for the high ground.

The wolf Kastor had thrown earlier, recovered quickly, and looked for the nearest target. Esmeralda. Sprinting inbounds the dire wolf soon caught up to her as Esmeralda scalded up the tree. It leaped and caught her ankle, causing Esmeralda to scream out in pain. Kicking the wolf off of her Esmeralda nestled herself into the nearest stale branch, groaning out in pain every time she put pressure on her ankle. She assessed the damage on her ankle, ignoring the snarling of the wolves below her as they tried to claw their ways up the tree. Taking off her face covering, Esmeralda ripped a large chunk of the fabric off and tied it around her ankle, making a makeshift bandage off of it.

Reaching back to her quiver, Esmeralda counted how many arrows she had left. 10 arrows for 7 wolves, doable enough. Suddenly, Esmeralda felt the tree under beginning to collapse, for the dire wolves below had knocked it down. Esmeralda scampered up the tree, trying to avoid putting any pressure on her ankle, and soon fell to the ground, the wind knocked out of her.

She didn't have too much time to dwell on that, for then the dire wolves began to come after her. Esmerelda held up her gauntlets, deflecting one as it tried to calm down on her wrist. Grabbing her shortsword, she stabbed it in the gut, causing the beast to slump down in death. The rest surrounded her and Exmeralda began to accept the fact this may be her death.

Kastor tore at the dire wolves that dared come close enough to him. Now he was bigger and stronger than the wolves. He stomped on a wolf snapping its spine. He tore a large gash in another as swiped at the Alpha with his large clawed hand. The crackling of a tree breaking caught his attention and he turned in time to see Esmeralda falling with a tree. He sprinted over and snarled at the wolves in return. The creatures regrouped and began to circle around the pair. One ventured too close and Kastor lashed out sending the wolf sprawling and yelping. It was a stalemate of sorts. Only 5 wolves remained. Kastor could handle these without much trouble.

The wolves should have fled. Their alpha was injured. Many of the remaining wolves were as well. But Esmeralda was also injured. The wolves did not back down so what kept them here?

Kastor heard a new sound it sent a chill down his spine. Even worse was what he saw next. Black tendrils of magic wandered along the forest floor towards the pair. "Lost wanderers in my woods. Can you not see this is a poor time for you to come? Did you not get the message?" The sound of hoofprints stopped as a dark figure loomed in the shadow of two pine trees. "Oh my... What irony... You did receive my message." Orks and more dire wolves poured out of the woods and surrounded the pair. Dark Tendrils approached Kastor and surrounded Esmeralda as well. As of yet the tendrils did not touch either of them but remained close. Kastor swallowed hard and looked to Esmeralda. The realization of their imminent death dawned on him. He wanted to hold her in the final moments but in his current form could not risk it. "You and the other knight killed my first messengers. Then you shared my message. You should have surrendered then." Argos stepped into the light and walked around until he was closer to Esmeralda. In a sudden flurry of movement, the dark tendrils around Kastor shot up and bound him. He snarled and thrashed but was overpowered in moments. His snarls turned to painful whimpers.
Argos took in a long deep breath. "I would greatly enjoy feasting on your flesh and killing you.... Buuttt. I don't think I will yet. I'd rather make an example of you" Kastor groaned again as Argos twisted his hand in a peculiar manner the tendrils covered Kastor in his entirety. They receded and Kastor stood there looking around for a moment before locking eyes with Argos. "Master..." Kastor took a knee and bowed to the MInotaur.

A black tendril rose up and caressed at Esmeralda's face. "Tell me, girl, Shall we go see your father and the king?" Argos let out a low chuckle and the other humanoids around him broke into a raucous laugher as well.

To put it simply, Esmeralda was absolutely terrified. Direwolves were one thing, but Argos was an entirely different matter altogether. He was much scarier than any description could tell, though something within Esmeralda told her she should not show such emotions. She smacked the black tendril away and shot Argos a smile, deciding some humor in her final moments would best benefit everyone.

"So you are the mighty Argos everyone is so afraid of," she gave him a mock pout, "Pity, I quite honestly thought you'd be a bit taller."

Her words flatered a bit at the mention of her father, though she recovered quickly.

"I suppose we could go visit them," she replied, "That is if you can get through their barrier"

As Esmeralda smacked away one Tendril Argos did little in reaction as he watched the girl respond with sarcasm. Argos towered over the girl at nearly 8 feet tall the offhanded remark meant little to Argos. He was surprised with how placated the girl was in her response. "your lack off fear is amusing. Though I am sure. If I ripped your arm off you would scream just like all the other humans who suffered under my strength." Argos took yet another step closer still eyeing her sword for any sudden movements she may try to make. The black tendrils of his magic surrounded her and this time they grabbed onto her limb and wrenched the blade free of her hand.

"As for the barrier, it won't be an issue. I suspect you may even be able to help us open the gate to Pineshrew." Argos closed the distance and he leaned over to look her at her closer. "You are just a little girl. How did you ever become a knight? Baile is a bigger fool then I thought. Or he is more desperate than he would ever admit. I do wonder why he has not called for aid from his father. I've been expecting a response or even an army. Laying siege to Pineshrew has been" Argos let a thin smile split his face. "Joyous." His scowl returned. "But I grow bored waiting for a challenge." The tendrils of dark magic wrapped around Esmeralda tighter and covered more of her body. She was emblazed in short order.

"I plan to destroy Pineshew in it's current form and raise it in a new one. As of yet I lack human warriors. I need humans in my army as well. They will help me subjugate humanity. You and the other knight were supposed to be the first to join me. However that would have been against your will. I offer you a chance now. Tell me what you desire. Join me. Willingly,and I will bestow you with power to accomplish such. Or, watch as I destroy Pineshrew and then force you to join me in your death." Argos took a long finger and raised her chin so she would look him in the eye. "I'm sure you have questions. However before you ask whatever foolish thing you have to say let me ask you a question. Do you know what Kastor and I share in common?"

Esmeralda stayed silent as Argos went on, listening intently for him to let anything out. With regards to his offer, Esmeralda knew immediately she would decline, but such thoughts would not be necessary to convey. She didn't struggle when his black tendrils surrounded her, trying to remain submissive to her enemy in hopes of getting information out of him.

"I know nothing of you and Kastor's commonalities, though I would like to. It would be also nice to know why exactly you hate King Baile so much, from what I understand you two have quite the history."

Even trapped with her life in his hands the young girl showed intriguing courage. Or was it foolishness? He could not be certain either way. He suspected it was the foremost though mixed with a bit of ignorance. She at least wasn't doing anything foolish like insulting him again... If she did her treatment would degrade sharply.

"Kastor and I are almost kin. In a way." Argos stepped away from the girl and motioned for his soldiers to move on. He had the situation well in hand now and his soldiers would do him better by keeping up the patrol. Kastor stepped into view of Esmeralda and stood by Argos side. While Kastors form was thinner he was just a bit taller than the minotaur. Argos put a hand on the back of the werewolf. "Kastor like I was not born into this world. We were created. By the same people actually. Though he does not share the same kind if power I do. He also does not remember his creation. If anything he is my older brother actually. A predecessor to myself. Eculind keeps tabs on him now. His shots do help in keeping him human. They suppress Kastor as well. They suppress what he truly is. A Dire wolf. He is a wolf in humans clothing now. Just as I am made from an actual bull. Turned into what I am. However I am not in regression. This is my true form now.." Argos pushed away Kastor and the were wolf took several steps back. Bowing his head in submission.

Argos clenched a fist. "As for King Baile… I do hate him." The words were followed by a low growl. "I want him to suffer as I have. But first I want his help. He can help me kill the High King. Tell me girl have you ever heard anyone speak poorly of the High king?" He answered for her. "Maybe you have, but they are usually silenced in some way. Baile created me." Argos purposely left off the honorific title of king in front of Bailes name. "But only because his father made him do such."

"Did you ever have a human form, as Kastor does? Or were you simply turned into a humanoid bull?"

She paused at the mention of the High King, curiosity hitting her once more.

"The High King is a man I know little to none about, though from what I've heard he is not a man to be trifled with. Could you tell me more of him?"

Argos stared at Esmeralda as her questions flew. He huffed. "I remember being a bull once. But now I am this. I do not know what else may have happened to me." Argos began walking and Kastor fell into step at Esmeralda's side. The black tendrils gripping Esmeralda in her vice began to follow as Argos marched towards Pineshrew. Patrols and other groups of soldiers began to form behind him as they moved towards the high castle walls. Up to this point, Argos had not laid siege directly to the castle. He had been destroying the outlying farms and small hamlets. Setting fire to the woods was not initially his plan but he would not stop the fire as it worked its way towards Pineshrew.

The steady beat of footsteps in mass droned on behind Esmeralda and Argos. "Let's see if the king will come out of his walls."

King Baile was beleaguered. Supplies ran low in his castle town and all attempts to retrieve more supplies had been thwarted. Reinforcements from his sister's kingdom had come before Argos struck. It was only enough to keep Argo's forces at bay. He could hold his castle with its high walls. But he could not commit a large enough force to fetch supplies without risking his defense. He was nearing his wit's end. To make matters worse he had received a message from the High King. It had been brought by a carrier falcon hastened by magic. Much of the message was rubbage outlying how the king missed his son and wondered when he would be repaid. However, the most drastic part was an offer for help. King Baile's father was willing to send help and forgive his debt under one condition. He wanted Baile to return so they could make more Soldiers. More creatures like Argos. Baile refused it outright and did not message back.

Now though as he heard his latest report from the equally tired Alvaro he could not help but consider the message again. A guard burst into the room. "News from the front. Sentries have spotted Argo's force moving towards the castle in mass. It looks like he is going to attack." Baile dragged a palm across his face in despair.
"Prepare the message Alvaro, I hope it may not be too late."
Alvaro nodded and hurried off to the other room.

Baile stood and strode for the door. His armor clinked with every step. As long as they were under siege like this he wore armor in his every waking hour. He feared that now he may actually need to make use of it.

He stood atop the wall and saw the forces assembled before him. Argos stood at the front. Baile squinted and saw a familiar face next to the minotaur. His banished knight Esmeralda. "What do you intend with the girl Argos?" Baile called out across the distance.

Argos hefted a large war ax and planted the pole end in the ground. "I plan to end this."

"She is no longer my knight Argos and she does not have the power to end this." Baile grew puzzled at the minotaur's forwardness.

"She is the daughter of your advisor though. Alvaro would surely prefer to see his daughter alive no?" Argos grinned.

Baile had hoped that Argos would not know the girl's identity. His hope was clearly vain. "What do you want Argos?"

"I want you to help me. Summon the High king here. Let us both end him for what he has done." He picked up his ax and held it at Esmeralda's throat. "Or I can kill all of you grow my own forces and still take down the high king. Starting with her." He tipped up the girl's chin slightly. The gleaming metal shined in the waning light.

A gasp from Behind Baile drew his attention. Alvaro had climbed up beside his lord and saw what he did. "My lord, please."

Baile knew if he let Alvaro's daughter die he would likely lose his advisor and friend. He was stuck though. Trapped between the safety of his people and the safety of his advisor's daughter.

The necklace around Esmeralda's necklace began to vibrate slightly. "Essie?" A low whisper came from the item. "Essie, what is going on? Are you in trouble?"

Esmeralda was amazed at Argos's power, only further reinstating to her that he was quite the force to be reckoned with. The black tendrils that surrounded her were strong, making it all together impossible to move. Keeping her face passive, Esmeralda tried not to grimace as she saw the destruction of her home country, a sight that made her want to run far far away, but she was here. The castle came into view and she took a sharp intake of air as she caught sight of her former king.

"Why hello there King Baile," thought Esmeralda to herself, "Pleasure seeing you again."

The King and Argos bantered back and forth for a while, both with hatred in their voice. Then, something completely expected happened, Argos began to use Esmeralda as a bargaining chip. Esmeralda caught eyes with her father as Argos brought his blade to her throat, and noticed the fear in his eyes. A guy feeling rose within Esmeralda, telling her this was where she would finally meet her end. She closed her eyes, welcoming death with open arms.

"Essie, are you in trouble?" rumbled the amulet in her chest. Esmeralda immediately recognized the voice to be Eculind's.

Esmeralda hesitated to reply, knowing Argos would be to close to hear her trying to communicate with Eculind. So she concluded she'd have to do things another way.

"Now, now boys," Esmeralda yelled out, hoping all could hear her, "I hardly see why this battle must start with my death. You've haven't even asked whether or not I'd like to accept your offer, Argos."

Last edited:
Eculind was initially confused by Esmeralda's answer but as she heard the voice of Argo's reply things became clear very quickly.
"I will do as I please young whelp." Argos pushed the ax further against her chin until a thin line of blood began to show. "however you are right. I have not heard if you choose to accept or not. What say you?"

While Eculind could not see what was happening as the Crystal was covered she knew that voice and could quickly tell just how dire Esmeraldas situation was. "Get ready to run Essie." The crystal vibrated more and golden light began to flow from it. As the light grew it began to suffuse the darkness. Argos locked eyes with the girl. "Wha-" The light burst forth in a blinding arc.

Baile was not certain where the magic came from As Esmeralda was no magical being. He would have known such. However he would not ignore this opportunity Argos was distracted. Now he could retrieve Esmeralda and relieve the worry from his advisors face. "open the gate." he called to a nearby guard and he leapt over the wall. He extended dark wings to either side of himself and landed with a solid thud. The blinding light was already gone and he head the gate creep open behind him. He rushed forward with a speed before unseen. He held nothing back now. As he neared Esmeralda he drew his sword and raised it overhead. "Welcome back" he muttered as he brought the sword down swiftly.

The blade hurled from his hand and instead flew towards Argos. He grabbed Esmeralda and rushed back through the gate. The heavy wooden doors closed behind him and were locked again. A solid thud rattled the doors as a force slammed against them. Argos bellowed his rage at his loss of the bargning chip. Archers atop the walls began firing and the battle commenced.

Esmeralda was glad when Eculind got her message, and while the shot of light did blind her temporarily she got a clear message of what to do. As soon as she crumpled to the ground, Esmeralda attempted to run to the palace gates, eager to see her father again. While her ankle made things a bit more painful, she managed her way into the courtyard, safe from the clutches of Argos. Ignoring the King's brief 'Welcome Back' Esmeralda limped as fast as she could up the stairs.

"Oh my lord Essie," exclaimed Alvaro, meeting his daughter halfway, "What are you doing back here? It isn't safe for you?"

"I came back for you father, after hearing what was happening in Pineshrew did you honestly believe I would leave you here?"

Her father embraced her, tearing up slightly at her words. "You are so much like your mother."

They held their hug for a moment longer, until Esmeralda pulled away.

"How can I help?" she asked her father, who was now further examining her wounds.

"The best thing you can do for me is go and see Katara, you can't help much with that ankle of yours currently."

Esmeralda offered no resistance to her father's words, "I understand, I will he back in a few."

And she limped off to Katara's.

:::::

Katara was quite simply put overwhelmed by the wounds of the battle. While there were other nurses there, Katara was better trained in treating fatal wounds, which unfortunately were the majority. So when an old friend by the name of Esmeralda Ruiz came into view she barely noticed her presence.

"Hey Kar," asked Esmeralda, "Do you have any healing options left. I've got a mild ankle wound that could use it.

"Yes we do," said Katara, many things going through her mind, "There is a shelf in my office containing them."

"I see," Esmeralda replied, slightly offended at her friend's nature.

Esmeralda found the potion easily in Katara's office, a place she visited many times before. Taking the potion down, Esmerala could feel her body relaxing, causing her mind to clear. She remembered something, a very important something.

"Corrain" she muttered, and ran back out to the palace's gate.

Despite his greeting, Esmeralda did not even do so much as to thank him for his rescue attempt. He did not have time to share his fickle thoughts with the dismissive girl. He had a war to attend. He marched away from the girl and took his position on the wall again. His archers were firing down at the creatures who were slamming against the door. Yet their arrows were ineffectual as Argos made a shield with his magic. Argos himself was the largest threat to the gate. It would seem that the minotaur's magic was stronger than he remembered. Balls of black magic struck heavy against the door even as he deflected the arrows of his archers. "Ready pitch!" Called out Baile and he began his own attack pulling lances of his magic out of thin air. He hurled them and drove through the barrier lancing into creatures just on the other side. Argos took notice and turned his attention to the king.

The tension shared by the pair became a literal driving force as their magics collided. Energy crackled and hissed as magics pounded on one another. SO fast were the strikes and blows most could not keep up with the fight. Those who stood to close to King Baile or Argos were blown away by an unseen force.

Kastor being the next largest being present took to clawing at the door trying to create a hole to use to work in wedging the door open.

Esmeralda reached the palace gates quickly, silently cursing herself for leaving Corrian out there. The palace was in the middle of a siege, making everyone within the grounds panicked, meaning noticed the frantic girl. Esmeralda had to get to Corrian, she had to keep him safe, get him that cure, she'd promised him. Getting to him would be hard, however, and she had to think strategically about this.

"Kastor currently holds the form of Corrian and his body," thought Esmeralda, "Which means if Kastor dies, Corrian is unlikely to survive or maybe can be free of his wolf form?"

Unfortunately for Esmeralda, Corrian had never really given her many details concerning the possibility of his demise in wolf form, leaving Esmeralda with only one option left.

"Hey Eculind," Esmeralda yelled into the amulet around her neck, "Can you hear me? Corrian's in trouble and I need your knowledge."

The not so distant sounds of battle were still echoing towards Esmeralda even so her yelling was not necessary. Eculind staggered back into her chair clutching at her head, she was listening to Esmeralda in her mind, the shouting was more then she was prepared for though. She retorted in kind. “SPEAK NORMALLY!” She massaged her temple for a few moments while she collected her thoughts.

“Now what can I help you with my dear Essie?”

"Kastor has control of he and Corrian's body," Esmeralda whispered into the amulet, "There is currently a battle going on, though I assume you can probably already hear it."

Esmeralda paused for a moment, thinking of the best way to phrase her next question. It needed to be blunt and to the point without leaving out any details. Esmeralda watched as she could begin to see Kastor in the holes of the place gate, clawing his way through. Bringing out her shortsword Esmeralda prepared herself to fight the incoming people of Argos.

"If Kastor dies, will Corrian die with him?" Esmeralda asked Eculind.

"I can hear the battle just fine little lovely." Eculind stood again and focused her mind further. Now as the Crystal was uncovered Eculind was able to begin to see through the necklace as well. She too saw the door as Kastor began to tear away at chunks of wood. The town was on the verge of being breached. "Oh no, Esmeralda." Her question reached her but there was a larger problem. It was clear. Essie would die if she stayed there. She could still answer her question though. Then she would need to prepare.

"Yes Essie, if you kill Kastor, Corrian will die too. Stay alive Essie, I'm going to help but I need time!" Eculind severed the connection and began to gather things in her room frantically preparing a rune and drinking potions.

Kastor tore chunks of wood from the door. Arrows soared past him and some sunk into his flesh. Yet the arrows were little more than pinpricks, guards stood before the gate trying to get a spear into the beast. One guard lunged and Kastor caught the spear and slung the guard into the others nearby. Argos still fought the King behind him. Other dark forces were pushing in on the gate as well. With a quick deft motion, Kastor pulled the latch free of the gate and the doors swung open. Argos host pushed in through the gate. A pitched battle ensued. Yet the numbers of Argos were clearly more numerous than that of the King's forces.

Argos's army swarmed into the palace and it dawned onto Esmeralda just how dire a situation they were in. Believing Kastor could take care of himself, Esmeralda concluded she needed to get to her father as soon as possible. Searching the crowd, Esmeralda found him near the northern wall, shouting out orders. She ran over to him, her only goal being to protect him.

Unbeknownst to Esmeralda, she was not the only one searching for Lord Alvaro Ruiz. An Ork General mounted on a dark pegasus was as well trying to spot who was giving the orders. Taking that man out would help dismantle Pineshrew's forces into ruin. After spotting the Lord, he took his dark spikey bow and sent an arrow into the man's gut. His group let out a horrific cheer as the man fell to the ground in pain.

"NO!" yelled Esmeralda, legs sprinting even faster.

She turned and quickly shot an arrow in the direction of the shot that killed her father, grief overcoming her body. Tears pricked Esmeralda's eyes as she watched him struggle to breathe in and out. She grasped his hands in hers, desperate for him to cling onto the little life he had left. Alvaro's eyes began to blur in vision as he said one last word to his daughter.

"I love you so much, Essie," he breathed out, the darkness of death finally consuming her body.

Esmeralda stroked her father's face roughly, tears now spluttering out in streams down her face. Sinking her head down, Esmeralda could feel the familiar waves of grief washing over her body. She had little time to do this, however, as the sound of roaring hoofprints ran closer to her, causing pure rage to course through her body.

"Don't you bastards dare touch him," she muttered as she got up off the ground quickly, shortsword in hand.

Esmeralda was alone now, for every armed individual in Pineshrew was off fighting their own groups. As the hoard of 5 works swarmed towards her, Esmeralda crouched down, ready to die protecting her father's body.

"COME ON YOU UGLY BRUTES, COME AND KILL ME!" she spat in their face as she began swinging at the legs of the dark pegasi, sending two down in the process.

The General laughed at the bravery of the girl, and quite enjoyed her attempts of protecting her father. Taking his club, he slammed it into the back of Esmeralda, knocking her unconscious.

"Come on boys," he yelled in Orkish, "We have far better enemies to defeat."

The forces of Argos were superior in every way. They outnumbered their foe. They were stronger. Their lust for blood was deeper than the soldiers' conviction to defend. Those who fled the battle were hunted by wolves. Those who stood in defence were met with overpowering blows that shattered shields and broke bones and wills alike. The defenses fell and before long all the soldiers had fallen. What remained was only the common folk who cowered in their homes. People were routed from their homes and gathered in the square to await their judgment at the hand of Argos.

The last man standing in defense of the kingdom was King Baile. Now showing signs of exhaustion and carrying marks and dents on his armor the two clashed both with swords and magic alike. Any that tried to draw near were struck down by magic too powerful to stand close too. “You have grown weak Baile.” Argos growled as the met swords.

“There is no strength in killing all around you. What will be left when you are done with your rampage?” Baile shot purple fire up towards Argos face.

The minotaur deftly sidestepped and knocked the sword askew with his axe. He brought down a mighty swing breaking Baile’s shoulder. “When I am done!” Another mighty ax swing cleaved armor from Baile. “I will stand atop the corpses of my enemy.”

Baile stabbed at the minotaur with his one good hand bringing a dark blade protruding from his arm. It sank into the flesh of Argos. Argos groaned but then the blade dissipated and was absorbed into the wound. The flesh mended itself and Argos struck the king with his fist. “I will bring the world into balance. The powerful will rule. The weak will serve.” Argos grabbed Baile by the head. “Compared to me, you are weak. You will serve me.” Argos bound Baile in dark magic and knocked him unconscious. He walked on to the town square his hooves echoing along the cobblestone path. He called to nearby Orks. “Find me the girl. Use Kastor.I still want her alive. At least mostly.”

The Orks grunted and ran off to fulfill their lord's wish.

Kastor was tasked with finding Esmeralda. HE started sniffing and headed towards the scent.

“Essie, you silly girl you were supposed to stay safe.” Eculind continued to draw the large rune in the floor of her room. The circle was 6 feet wide and carried multiple colors of various magics. The energy required to power the spell would be vast. She worked quickly but made certain not to have errors. “I’ve only got one shot Essie. Just don’t get yourself killed.”

Esmeralda's eyes opened slowly as she regained her mind, surprised to hear the clatters of battle to be gone. She groaned out in pain as she attempted to get up, memory struggling to recall how exactly she got in this situation. One look at her father's dead body caused all the memories to rush back in, and by instinct Emseralda's hands shot to her back. She, quite simply felt numb, no longer wanting to feel any emotion anymore. Both her parents were dead, and while she never knew of her mother's death, she had witnessed her father firsthand, and it was too much for her.

Sending one last look to her father, Esmeralda let out one last tear and walked on in search of her former King. The crowds surrounding Argos were not too hard to find, for they were gathered in the center of the courtyard. Esmeralda heard Argos give the order to 'find the girl,' who she could only assume to be her. Kastor would be the one sent to find her, a saying that triggered Esmeralda's need to see Corrian again.

"The only way I can see Corrian again," thought Esmeralda to herself, "Is to get him away from Argos. He should be able to return to his human form then."

"There will be no need for the search party Argos," she bolstered, pushing through the crowd, "The girl you seek is already among those you now entrap. Now tell me exactly, what would you like to do with me? You've already taken all that I love, what more damage could you do to my soul?"

Argos smiled as he heard the girl's voice. It was a grim smile for any watching but he turned towards the sound of her voice all the same. "Ah, Esmeralda. There you are." Argos motioned for her to come closer. Before long Kastor stood behind her also urging her closer to the Minotaur. Argos addressed the group of people huddled in the town square. They all shared expressions of fear. "I wanted to know something." Argos pointed at Esmeralda. "Did this girl warn any of you that I was coming?" Argos waited for his reply. No answer came. "I need an answer."

Jak spoke up. "Esmeralda did as she was instructed and brought her news to the king." The people who had stood around Jak moved aside. He hobbled forward using a crutch to help him walk.

"What a surprise the other knight sent to discover me. You did just as poorly. You could have told these people I was coming. They would have had time to run." Faint murmurs went through the crowd. "Yes, King Baile was warned of my coming. He prepared rather poorly it would seem." Argos stomped over to Esmeralda. "Or perhaps you are to bare some of the blame." Argos grabbed Esmeralda roughly by the face and titled her heard up so he could look her in the eyes. "Now there was a question you were to answer before we were interrupted. "Will you join me?" He turned her head to the cowering crowd. "Or will you join them?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back