• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kaizoic: First Emergence

Lance spat out a mix of spit and blood, and remained quiet as the troopers restrained him.
A couple of the armored Republic patrolmen commented to each other about some kind of ‘award’ for taking in ‘the little bastard’.

Once it seemed clear that the two were destined for lockup, a sound burst from behind the vehicle with the spotlight.
A man briefly shouted, and dirt rained over the light, flickering its glare over the scene.

“McBlain?” The trooper behind Vic asked as the dust cleared.

No answer.

Vic saw the plume of dirt and was instantly on high alert. He knew exactly what just happened. Looking at Lance he said aloud. "Whatever you do don't move at all stay as silent and still as you possibly can." The patrolmen around them gave them a suspicious look when they heard what Vic had said. Not caring in the slightest Vic did his best to follow his own instructions. The muscles in his body were tight and his heartbeat was so intense he thought it would pop. What Vic knew was soon this whole situation was about to turn into a uncontrollable shit storm.

“McBlain?!” The trooper scolded. “What the hell are you doing over there?” He took steps toward the vehicle and the griund beneath Vic shook faintly. Just enough for him to feel it through his knees.

Lance was still drooling blood to notice until an explosion of dirt burst in front of them, and the trooper approaching the vehicle was enveloped in it.
A scream was let out but was cut short, and Vic faintly could see that something had grabbed the man and pulled him down.

“What the-“ the third patrolman blurted, and a second explosion rained dirt atop them all.

“GAAAAH!” The man shrieked, and Vic felt warm blood splatter on the back of his neck.

Over choking gurgles of the trooper’s dying moments were guttural croaks and a clacking sound.

Hearing those noises and not seeing what it was awakened a sense of primal fear in Vic. The moment that blood hit him wanted to run, to run as hard and as fast , and as far away as he could. He knew they needed to get out of there and fast. His mind worked overtime to try and figure something out. With the death of the guards Vic's optians increased dramatically. Snapping his wrists he managed to get the cuffs off easily enough. A trick he mastered while working the daily runs that came in very handy. Holding them in one hand he reached for Lance with the other dragging him up. In one swift motian he chunked the cuffs on to the ground a few feet away. When the dirt exploded upwards in response Vic immediately ran towards the nearest building dragging a less than responsive Lance along with him.

The other officers had barely noticed the duo as they ran. Once the second officer had died chaos broke out as bullets were fired sporadically into the ground. Every couple moments a brief scream interuppted the gunfire as another officer was taken. Vic and Lance soon reached the doorway of a half crumbled building when a plume of dirt exploded a few inches behind them. The momentum of his headlong flight, and that Lance was not a easy man to drag sent the two sprawling onto the hard stone floor.

Last edited:
In the midst of the explosion a crab-like claw snapped out where Vic and Lance once stood before the rest of the underground creature’s body burst from beneath the ground.
Like a twisted mix of a crustacean and a flea, the horse-sized insect clacked its pincers and made a horrible gurgling sound in its maw. The voracious opening was curtained behind four armored appendages like fingers, revealing a drooling set of grinding teeth.
No eyes peered at the two men, but the twitching antennae were rapidly moving as though honing in on their presence.

The giant bug was no more than ten feet away when Lance reached for one of his pistols. The stupored man was face down and still dazed, yet still had enough instinct to know a threat was behind him.

He drew, then dropped the charged energy pistol at Vic’s feet, and the arthropod screeched in their direction.

Vic had no hesitation on what he needed to do. Grabbing the plasma pistol he aimed and fired a charged shot straight into the creatures drooling mouth. The concentrated heat burst once it came into contact with flesh, burning all the soft tissue inside it's maw. The heat frying it's brain from inside. The creature let out a dying screech before falling onto it's abdomen across the threshold of the doorway. Breathing heavy Vic kept the gun aimed at the creature in case it were still alive. When it's corpse remained motianles Vic holstered the weapon into his waist and turned towards Lance.

"Let's get those cuffs off you." He said in a surprisingly calm tone.

The man coughed back into full consciousness and shoved Vic away when he felt his hands loosen.

“Whadja do wid mah gun?” He slurred, mouthful of blood and dirt staining his matted beard.
He then saw the dead arthropod and blinked, spitting out another glob of blood-ridden spit. “The fuckin’ shit is that?”

"That" Said Vic. "Is what I've been trying to warn you about. By the sound of the fight still goin on there's more than one. I used your gun to kill this one."

Reaching into his waist Vic pulled out the gun and offered it back to Lance.

'Your welcome to have it back but I think in your current condition you'd likely put a round in yourself."

Vic made sure to talk calm and clear. With Lance back to himself and the situation changing he didn't want to risk a pointless scruffle.

Lance took his pistol back, and stood back up.
“I can shoot a gnat’s eye at thirty yards, boy.” He spat and holstered his weapon.

Meanwhile, brief bursts of gunfire could be heard before being silenced by quieter blasts. More of the arthropods like the one bleeding in the doorway.

“Got any ideas? You’ve dealt with these things before you said.”

Vic took a moment to think before replying.

"It would do us no good to get mixed up with the fighting outside. We should hold up in here at least until day break. Once the sun is up we can see what we're doing and the fighting should be done by then. With the creatures gone we can salvage for supplies from what's left of the police force. After that I think we should head to the nearest city, I have some connections that can help us out and hopefully let the right peaple know what's going on out here. As for our safety at the moment as long as we're quiet and don't move much the creatures won't know we're here. From what I can tell they are attracted to noise and movements."

Being able to come up with a plan for once made Vic feel ecstatic.

Lance sighed.
“I’m not leaving my truck to get dragged under like that one on the highway.

Spend the night, but I’m getting to my guns.”

Vic was frustrated as hell. Being dragged through the desert and becoming someone's prisoner again and again. Then being attacked again by the creatures that started this whole fiasco. Now to top it all off his semi partner wanted to risk his life and their safety for a vehicle. Looking like he wasn't gonna argue the point Vic stepped aside to let Lance pass. When he did, as quick as he could Vic picked up a chunk of rock and hit Lance in the back of the head.

Dropping like a brick Lance almost hit the floor before Vic caught him.
"You might hate me for this but I'm trying to keep you alive". Holstering Lance against his shoulders he dragged him up the stairs slowly as to not cause much noise. Once up on the second floor Vic lowered him softly to the ground and up against a corner. Taking the plasma gun Vic positioned himself against the opposite corner and prepped himself to watch for danger till morning.

Vic would hear various sounds as the pitch dark of night. The creatures below ceased in their hunting and began chittering in the shadowed hollows of the ruined buildings around them.
Their armored shells burrowed into the cracked pavement that remained between the rubble, undoubtedly dragging their prey underground.

Soon the chittering stopped as the creatures finished their meals and went into a state of slumber. Other than the soft snoring of Lance and the occasional sound of wind the night was silent. Vic sat there relaxed but alert. His body was finally able to release the tension it had accumulated over the past couple days. The memories of everything that happened passed through his mind like scenes of a movie. It was almost like some half deranged god suddenly took an interest in his life and now put him through hell for simple entertainment. Vic scoffed at the idea, this was pure coincidental bad luck. He perked up at the thought that if he could just make it back to the city then he might be able to turn his luck around. He tried to keep his grin of optimism as a sleeping Lance let out a especially loud snore.

The ground shook in a brief tremor. Then came a second and third.
The familiar sensations were like those Vic felt when he was attacked in the vehicle days ago.

The creatures chittered in fright, and a newcomer growled in the dark as it hunted for its next meal.

Vic immediately stiffened. He knew exactly what was out there and was in no rush to make it's aqaitence. Sneaking over to Lance as quietly as he could he shook him awake. Lance woke with a start and was about to let out a surprised yell but Vic's hand clamped his mouth shut . Lance was about to kick and yell and show the boy what a proper ass beating was until he saw how pale Vic's face was and how his pupils had dialated. The boy was sick with fear, pure unfiltered fear. Vic's only response was to put a finger to his lips and make a pointing gesture outside.

Lance’s mutterings were dazed but agitated as his vision returned. Upon recognizing Vic, his conscious mind became fierce and with trained reflexes reversed the position the two were in.

Vic was on his stomach and Lance had a small knife in his hand.

“You little shit.” He spat, and then a momentary tremor shook the foundation of the building.

The bounty hunter softened his grip and Vic was able to stand. Lance stood and looked out in the darkness below.
He turned and fumbled on his pockets and coat, as though searching for something.

Vic simply got back on his feet and crouched with his back against the wall. He tried his best to get the fear under control. This wasn't something petty like being afraid of the dark, it was a natural fear, a primal instinct based fear. Like when prey knows when there is a predator nearby. Vic only payed enough attention to Lance to understand where he was and maybe what he was doing. Other than that he focused more on controlling his breathing, staying quiet, and straining his ears for the slightest indication of the creatures movements.

Lance continued searching his equipment for a particular item. When he muttered a curse he glanced at Vic. Then squinted.

“My helmet.” He said. “You’re standing over it.” His finger pointed at Vic’s side. “And give me my damn gun back.”

Lance snatched both and put the helmet on.
“Seeing what we’re dealing with.” The man pushed a button on a device under his left sleeve and his visor lit up with green.
His pistol was holstered and he looked below through the dark of night, clearly using a form of night vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back