• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic It's like a Firefly and Bioshock and Twenty-Thousand Leagues Love Child? (Futuristic Submarine Crew) (NOW CLOSED)

Ha_lfLife

Resident cynic
So listen, all I want in life is a group roleplay that takes place predominantly on a deep, deep, DEEP sea submarine. The kind of deep sea where everything is black and no life lives except for anglerfish and goblin sharks. Ideally this would take place in a futuristic, dystopian kind of setting. Like imagine that humankind has been so abusive to Mother Earth that eventually her air becomes noxious and life in the open can no longer exist. So humans have adapted by creating underwater cities or controlled above-ground outposts in giant glass or metal domes. As a result of the rise of underwater communities, the oceans between these areas have become heavy with traffic, including regulation/government vessels. If anyone were ever to try to smuggle goods or otherwise avoid authorities, they would have to travel deep.

And that's where our crew comes in. They're part of a specially outfitted (and frankly outdated) submarine vessel that has been modified to withstand the extreme pressures and deficits of the deep sea. The crew consists of a small group of highly skilled workers who, for one reason or the other, are trying to stay below the government's radar. They'll face almost episodic threats brought along by the terrors of deep sea, as well as trying to coexist with a society that barely tolerates them. The core crew, I'm thinking, would consist of something like a captain, a navigator, a cook, a diver, a mechanic, a biologist, a medic, and a henchman. Ideally, somewhere from 5-6 characters, since huge casts of writers usually makes for confusing posts.

I'm thinking it's like Firefly in that it has that sci-fi chummy, on the outskirts crew dynamic; maybe pulling from 20,000 Leagues when it comes to the inspiration for the vessel and the undersea environment. I like the idea of it being heavily steampunk influenced, with a Bioshock aesthetic!

I'm hoping for literate writers, ones who can post at LEAST a few solid, long paragraphs, although I'm sure many actual posts will be a little shorter, since the characters are interacting with so many others at once.

This is just a super longwinded feeler for this concept. If you think you want to join in on something like this, reply below or PM me with who you think you'd want to be and maybe an example of your typical writing. If I get a strong response from some good people, I'll make a WAY nicer setup post. I don't really care what kind of character I play; I haven't made anyone for a scenario like this yet and am very flexible.

All genders/orientations are welcome!

You had me at Firefly! I’ve got a pupper named Kaylee due to my undying love for that show. Everything else about this concept has me intrigued! Would love to see all the ideas everyone else would be coming up with, as I tend to try and be flexible to fill roles where needed; however, tentatively looking at the diver role. 👀

YOU HAD ME AT FIREFLY LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO
also wouldn't mind being the cook who doubles as the mother hen of the group lol

Wow this sounds amazing, taking the scientist role would be super cool in my case, seeing as I am an environmental scientist. I am so keen to be a part of this because finding solutions to protect mother Earth was a predominant part of my studies <3 would love love to do this.

sorry i forgot to add an excerpt of my writing style. I know it's a little dramatic but I am a drama queen holla

"A mighty life he was, and the shock was at the ease with which that life was lost. She had come to terms with the inevitability of his death, but the child within her clutched to some semblance of naive hope. She could taste the appalling void of loss and it was a twisted and gnarled hand that burrowed through her bones and made her skin itch, it was reaching into her and scooping her out and the pain was excruciating. They had to keep moving and this urgency was compelled by an image of the Angel of Death holding a glass timer in one hand while pointing at her brother with the other. He was turning into a ragdoll, stitched, stuffed and sewn together from pain. A groan beckoned from his lips and his head lolled to the side, the breath that came from him caught in his throat and wheezed onto her cheek. The rank stench of blood hung stale and sour in the air, sticking to them like tar. It was hard not to react to the rolling feeling coming from her stomach."

it's not always that colourful/poetic, that seems to ebb and flow with my mood haha
I'd send you something a bit more straightforward but then I'd have to delve into my book and that is not ready to be read yet ;)

writing sample:

search & destroy.

• mood

"Control yourself..."

If he had blinked too fast he would have missed it. It all steamrolled quickly into such an utterly ridiculous string of events. As he was speaking to his new acquaintances Terran kept an eye on Juniper. He noted as they moved away from the conversation. Something in his bones felt like a bad situation was on the horizon. The conversation turned out to be one ended, much to his dismay. There was something about the girl in the black dress. He made a mental note to find her again later. Excusing himself from the situation, he began to trail his friend as they passed the students standing in a bit of a gathering on the deck.

"Juni," he called out, his voice slightly deafened by the 'oohs' and 'dangs' that typically accompanied a fight. At this point, he could see the blur of their back start to move quicker. He tried his best to match the speed, but it seemed like more and more people were gathering for the attraction. It got to the point where he was elbowing people to see why Juniper was so motivated to get to the persons of interest.

"Juniper!" he yelled, getting close to the altercation. Three figures were involved by the time he arrived: Two males, one with bubble gum pink hair, the other dressed very posh prep, and Juniper. The boys were at war with one another while his friend was trying to pull one off another. It was all tense enough until the posh-boy's elbow connected with Juniper's nose. Sharp gasps of air hung on the end of a mass "OH!" rang out into the crowd. Juniper went down almost immediately.

"JUNIPER!" Terran called out, running past the last rungs of the crowd. He ran over as the fight stilled and everyone had their attention trained on the person sprawled out on the ground. Terran slid by his knees on the slightly damp wood to attend to the bloody nose it seemed like Juniper acquired. "Lemme see it." Terran said, moving her hands gently to see how bad it was. When he got a good look at it he screamed internally. It was a classic break, although their nose wasn't bent too badly. Luckily, he was used to injuries like this. His father had come home with a plethora of bumps and bruises after drinking so much he'd call the right person the wrong thing. He used to path the man back up when he still had a love for him.

"You're gonna hate me for this..." Terran said as gently as he could before taking their face in his hands, thumbs pressed against the injury. With a push of the digits, a sick pop sounded out with a river of blood from both nostrils following. He hoped their shirt wasn't vintage or expensive because it wouldn't be much of a more than a rag now. "Somebody, give me two tampons!" he yelled to the crowd, acquiring them from the first female to reach their bag the quickest. He inserted the toiletries into the delicate nose, now a little bit curved if you really looked at it. "I'm so sorry, mon cher," he stated, helping them off the ground. He then looked at everyone involved, including the litany of faces from the other students. Maybe they jumped into a situation that wasn't of their making, but Juni had to have good reason. Still, the fact that everyone else just stood by ticked him off.

"My word, What the fuck is wrong with you couyons?" he asked the crowd, holding his friend up by the shoulder.

Brain Stew

green day

♡coded by uxie♡

WOW, I leave you guys alone for like ... half a day and you blow this up ! :)

Welcome to everyone, I'm glad you're here and excited about the idea. I just made a discord server here: Join the The As-Of-Yet Unnamed Submarine Adventure RP Group Discord Server! . Make yourselves at home there for OOC chats or general world-building/character-development brainstorms. I haven't fleshed out the idea of what this world is yet, so if you have any earth shattering ideas as to how it should be set up, any episodic plot ideas, etc., don't be afraid to post them. Aside from a PM from one person, the rest of the interested parties have responded here!

For our records, these are tentative spots and their claimants (Don't worry, these aren't binding! If you change your mind and would like to shift roles/withdrawal, let me know ASAP so your role can be replaced):
BuggaBoo BuggaBoo pending n/a
wickedlittlecritta wickedlittlecritta pending navigator
Default Skin Default Skin pending medic
ChaiLatte ChaiLatte pending diver
Walliver Walliver pending cook
.empathogen. .empathogen. pending n/a
rus roman rus roman pending biologist/scientist
yoikes yoikes pending mechanic
Ha_lfLife Ha_lfLife

Since we have a full group momentarily, any new members joining after this post will be tabled until a new role opens or a previous member decides to withdrawal. Let's take some time to create characters and try to get some sheets going. I'm not sure I mentioned this previously, but I'm in my late 20s and super new to this site; I'm totally not familiar yet with how things usually get set up, but I'll do my best to keep up and try to herd all of us together. There's no template for characters, but please include basics that establish his/her/their essence, age, gender, backstory, previous offenses/reasons to be riding under the law. I'll be making a CS thread for us and start to set up an actual RP thread in the next few days (I'm super busy at work right now!). Again, please utilize this thread or the Discord server to interact with each other and brainstorm.

After you all get CS together, I'll decide if there's still an open role for me; I'm totally fine without one, I'm just as happy to serve as a sort of organizer/narrator if it looks like we're going to have a full house.

Thanks for your patience, I look forward to having you all along for the ride :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back