• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Isekai Hell - reality check

Sam136

[OOC: Same place as hateful Ryke, the day after]

Another wince. They gotten hurt once then they'd realised. Makes sense, a human being wasn't a soft object so it stood to reason that a human projectile would not be something once would just shrug off. They must not have noticed the injury yesterday with all the adrenaline coursing through their body.

Alastair sighs. He should really get going but that stranger hadn't woken up yet. Alastair knew nothing about them and, if he was being honest, he wouldn't normally care enough to learn more. This wasn't normal though, he'd played a part in yesterday's fiasco. Thinking back, it's quite likely his words were the catalyst that set everything in motion and even if that wasn't the case they most certainly did not help.

Really with that thought in mind Alastair owed that stranger. They'd gotten caught up in his mess and gotten injured for it. The fact that Alastair proceeded to dump his unconscious body was just the icing on top.

He couldn't do anything about the past though, he knew that all too well. He would simply have to make amends whatever way he could. He'd paid for their room and tucked them into their bed already but that wasn't really enough now was it? He had to at least see if they were OK before fucking off.

"A glass of milk please", they say, calling over a redhead. They smile politely as they take his order, he ignores it not in the mood for niceties. He'd considered asking for a beer to just forget about everything for a while but decided against. He'd never touched alcohol in his life and he didn't plan to do so now.

Alastair sighs. He'd done whatever he could. He'd bought his supplies, fed the horse, and all the other things one does before embarking on a journey such as his. All that was left was to wait for… he didn't even know their name. Ughh, doesn't matter. He has to wait for the unnamed stranger to wake up and see how they are. If they were still hurt he'd have to arrange for their wounds to be treated.

Alastair's eyes glance over the surroundings. The bar was surprisingly clean, next to no signs of the night's roughhousing. How common was all that- nevermind, he doesn't think he wants to know. Bored, Alastair's eyes roam over the people. He doesn't recognise anyone from last night here, there were a lot less people in general honestly. It seems most of the patrons came in the dead of night to get drunk.

Time passes like that, eventually his drink arrives. He takes a sip and sighs, they really couldn't find it in them to enjoy it. They were supposed to make their parents proud, they did everything but that. How was he going to be the son they deserved if this was what he did?

How did it go so wrong? No. He knows exactly how it all went to hell. He'd been careless, let the mask loose. He'd shown the world his true self, not a proud noble but a fool puffing themselves up. It... won't happen again. The world doesn't need or want him, it wants the person he's supposed to be, a heroic, valiant, charming young man. He's not that person, he knows that, but he can pretend at least. Hopefully if he does so long enough everyone will forget what they're really like.

Their mug touches the table. They'd been lost in thought longer than they realised it seems. Alastair considers asking for another but then changes their mind, too much lactose isn't good for the stomach.

- Kansan Aetos, aka Ventus - The Hateful Ryke -

Ventus did not dream. Not as others do at least, for within his lucid mind Ventus would be found meditating amidst a shadowed tempest, inside the eye of a terrible storm of wind and darkness. As the Yaksha focused his mind, certain...details, would slowly become clear to him through the howling currents; hazy images of what he had just experienced. Trudging through a great blizzard, warming himself by the hearth...the encounter with the grizzled general and his own abject failure to even make a dent in that gargantuan man. Ruminating on the encounter, Ventus would hone his skills in his mind, to prepare for the training he would undergo in the waking world.

Though one thing became clear after his mental training session had ended...why was he in bed?

-----------

Stirring from sleep with a jolt, Ventus slowly raised himself from his pillow, frowning and making a low grumble of confusion, which swiftly became a grumble of irritation as a dull pain filled his body. He was still sore from the battle, but otherwise fit for action. Taking his Yaksha mask from the bedside table and hanging it from his sash and retrieving his battered Glaive, Ventus would descend the stairs in short order.

Though the man from before was gone without a word despite his promised, Ventus would go on undeterred with his journey. What did catch his eye however, was the sight of another youth...an oddly familiar one at that. Turning to face Alastair, a hit of realization was felt by Ventus, but his stoic expression did not falter.

"You. I know you. From the night before..." He called out with a short-lived point of his finger at Alastair, which lead into a frown of not inconsiderable consternation. "I was hurled into you...and you left me without a word. Explain yourself...nobleman." The last word Ventus spoke followed a checking out of Alastair, his eyes looking him up and down before coming to the conclusion that he was a blue-blooded young man, potentially one who had no care for peasants, or Fae.

Sam136 Sam136

"Don't point your fingers at me, didn't your parents tell you that's rude?", Alastair says waving away the digit.

Alastair says nothing for a moment considering how to approach the situation. For a moment they consider pretending to be the knight they're supposed to be but decided against it. For one, this person was already aware of what they're actually like and two... well it simply wouldn't be right. When asking forgiveness one must do so with honesty and with humility.

...he just realised that he might have messed up the humility part considering his very first words to them. Yeah... this wasn't off to a good start but there was nothing he could do about that he'd simply have to soldier on.

"But yes. I am the one who dumped you on the ground and left you to fend for yourself… OK when I say it like that it does sound a bit much. In my defence, I wasn't thinking clearly and it was a stressful night. I truly thought you would just walk it off"

Alastair pauses for a moment. That was not a good start either. He is starting to think he needs some more practice with all this. No going back now though, he's just going going finish this up now.

"I was disabused of that notion when I saw you still on the ground some time later. Yes, that was the moment I realised that you might be just a little worse for wear than I realised"

"It's a good thing that friend of yours healed you. It's possible things could have been worse if they hadn't. We put you in bed after that. If you're wondering who I'm referring to It's… ughh. I can't recall their name actually, did I even ask them? It was that guy though, the pervert who wanted the innkeepers daughter apparently. They left soon after if I recall correctly"

They stop speaking. Was all this truly necessary? They'd asked what *he* was doing, they didn't want a summary of the night after they fell unconscious.

"Apologies it seems I went on a tangent. Well long story short, seeing you on the ground covered like some dirty trash made me realise that I did not act as befitting of my station and aspirations. My conduct was shameful, so I am attempting to rectify that"

With that said Alastair gets off his seat and looks at Ventus straight on. His eyes are set and he looks almost harsh. It's almost seems like he's going to say something when all of a sudden he bows.

"I am sorry. As I stated before, my actions were not acceptable. I offer you my humblest apologies do with that what you will", they say with all the sincerity they can muster.

Standing back they look Ventus up and down.

"Are you still injured? You do not seem to be completely healed. If you would be willing to accept than I shall see if I can find and pay for a more skilled healer to tend to your wounds. This is not contingent upon you accepting my apology. I shall assist you in that regardless so long as you wish it"

With his piece said Alastair waits patiently for Ventus' response... no. That's not completely true. He won't admit but he's a little nervous about how they'll respond.

Ventus simply listened to Alastair ramble on without much point to his words, standing firm with his arms folded and a particularly unimpressed expression upon his face. The mention of Akasi in passing only brought up yet more consternation from Ventus as said man had simply departed without a word to Ventus. When the rambling finally ceased, Alastair had gotten up only to bow and actually speak plainly, for once. To which Ventus responded with a stern nod.

"Very well, I forgive you. Get to the point next time." Though curt, he said so with a small smile on his face, indicating he was honest about his acceptance of Alastair's humblest of apologies. With a pained rolling his his right shoulder, Ventus conceded: "His healing was less than perfect and the womanizing wretch has long since disappeared...but I'll live." Truth be told the pain was still quite an annoying feeling, it was a dull pulsing across his body that would interfere with his ability to think and fight.

"Who are you?" He added, realizing he didn't know the nobleman's name. "More than that; Are you a Knightly sort? Your behaviour says otherwise. Though to be honest, it's preferable to the typically 'holier than thou' demeanour most bear..." Ventus went on with a slight roll of the eyes, unaware of the offense this might raise, but he didn't pay it much thought to begin with.

Sam136 Sam136

"I was just giving an update on what happened while you were unconscious", Alastair mumbles embarrassed. The words are barely audible, maybe Ventus hears, maybe he doesn't.

That wasn't important though. What was important was that he'd been forgiven for his transgressions. It was honestly a lot easier than he'd expected, guess he got lucky this time. Alastair straightens his back and clears his throat before continuing, he's also happy that he doesn't need to keep his bow any longer, it was getting uncomfortable.

"It seems in all this hullabaloo I forgot to even introduce myself. Such a breach of etiquette is shameful, I shall rectify that. The name is Alastair Stelfatt, heir to the Stelfatt estate"

"As for me being of the knightly sort? Well I am training to become one yes so you could call me that… though I can see why you'd think I did not act like one", Alastair winces before continuing on, "Well the reason I… the reason… "

Alastair's words go unheard, nothing but meaningless muttering. Their face is facing down at the ground and they keep playing around with their hands. They were most definitely embarrassed. Finally the knight in training takes a deep breath and just decides to say what they have to say.

"OK. The reason I was acting as I was yesterday was that it was the first time in a long time I'd been allowed to just be myself. Normally I'm with family or other people I need to maintain my reputation with. I have great expectations placed on me, you know? My parents think I'll do great things in the future and I try to oblige"

The last part isn't said with arrogance or glee strangely enough. At odds with how they were yesterday they sound more resigned. It seems the expectations on their shoulders were a heavy burden.

"Well to sum it up. I have a reputation back home, a reputation I work hard to keep. I'm supposed to be a Knight in shining armor and a perfect noble. It's a duty I took up willingly… but it's tiring. So when I got here and there was no one who knew me? Well you could say I went overboard. The freedom to not worry about my reputation went over my head and I acted too freely"

Once done with their little exposition Alastair remembers Ventus' words specifically one little bit.

"You prefer me like this? Over all the prim and proper knights? I'll admit that's a first. Usually it's the opposite. I mean… if you yourself would rather I not worry about the niceties I could very well oblige"

Alastair looks at Ventus surprised and… hopeful? The opportunity to just talk with someone without worrying about acting "proper" seems surprisingly enticing. Though maybe he's being too hopeful… he doesn't really know this person that well. Most likely they'll get fed up in five minutes and tell Al to shut their mouth.

It was clear that Alastair was laying his heart bare to Ventus, whether he wanted to hear it or not, there would be no stopping him. All the Yaksha had asked for was his name and whether he was truly a Knight or not. To say he had gotten more than he'd bargained for was nothing short of an understatement. However, the nobleman spoke with resignation regarding the expectations placed upon him, implying they were nothing more than a burden despite his aspirations to keep his reputation and earn respect and esteem.

A Knightly man at odds with his own ideals, or at least, at odds with expectation...

"Hmm." Ventus only made a noise in response at first, accompanied by a furrowed brow and a brief scan with his eyes prior to opening his mouth again; "You talk too much. But I understood your point; Being a Knight's not what it's talked up to be, huh?" With a fold of his arms, Ventus spoke bluntly, feeling he could've made a briefer explanation to get roughly the same point across to the Fae.

"To be perfect is an impossibility. Especially among nobility, it's no surprise you relished the chance to be free of it. But you'll still need to keep yourself in check, lest you get into trouble." He went on, his tone didn't soften, but his words belied a concern for Alastair's well-being, even if his words were a bit callous. To sweeten the deal a little, Ventus would add: "You're not that bad of a Knight, all things considered. Without their typical attitude, you're already ahead of the curve. Don't let it get to your head." With a small, yet genuine smile, so that even with his harsh tone, Alastair would hopefully be able to tell that Ventus was encouraging him.

Sam136 Sam136

"I confess this is my first time being told that my actual personality is preferable especially when compared to the typical Knight… that's weird. You're weird. I like that"

If ventus preferred Alastair without the whole knightly act he would get them, they would get the true unfiltered Alastair. If they regret their choice, well there were sadly no refunds when it came to these things.

"Are you bad at communication? Your blunt manner of delivery suggests so. I think I am similar in that regard. I do have a habit of not knowing what to say when I'm not under the knightly act. Oh I just realised that my words could be taken in a manner different than intended. I have no issues with your blunt tone, I honestly find myself quite liking it. It's nice to have a clear idea of what the other person wants"

Alastair speaks in a friendlier manner. His words aren't as tense as when he was apologising.

'Huh. It's strange. Usually talking with people seems like a chore but not this time. I think I'm… having fun?'

Alastair's thoughts are cut short when he realises a rather important fact about his acquaintance.

"Name. Tell me your name. I want to know who I am talking to"

Yes. Alastair may have said so before but it was becoming quite clear that what little social skills Alastair possessed were tied to his persona.

This was going to be trying. While Alastair was clearly well-meaning, Ventus grimaced at the words he'd heard. For the nobleman, who lacked any sort of filter when allowed, to suggest that Ventus was bad at communication, would've been deliciously ironic if it weren't so frustrating. In some way however, Ventus was warming up to the interesting knight.

"That's exactly what I mean. Speak that way to a stranger, many will show you their fist. If you're going to be blunt, you need a more measured approach." Still intent on being on speaking terms with Alastair, Ventus followed up with:

"It's good you're having fun, either way. Keeping the stoic, uptight knight persona must've been dull...even if it might help you at times." Ventus's quips on stoicism would seem to have a level of irony to them, if it weren't for his genuine stoicism, rather than something that was put on by a man who clearly didn't enjoy it. Said man had realized he didn't ask for Ventus's name.

"I am Ventus. You?"

Sam136 Sam136

Users who are viewing this thread

Back