• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Active [Kruhrin Village][Ciu'nan]Orson's Feast V

e807e518bc412ea427862b2c9352bc55.jpg
Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Merry - character is frequently overcome with fae like merriment. While more respectable individuals may try to hide their amusement at improper times, character freely displays their amusement. It is often contagious.
In a quiet chamber in the back of the town hall, a few select bearkin gathered around a bed. The strong smell of herbs permeated the air. Two braziers near the bed sent up trails of smoke from the incense burning therein. Atop the bed was a form obscured by a white sheet. Two bearkin wept softly over the form as they helplessly laid over it in anguish.

Lady Bao stood behind one bearkin, resting her paw on the grieving one's shoulder. The councilbear's eyes appeared more sunken, her fur more faded and uncharacteristically unkempt. She wept as well even while trying to comfort the others. Bao cried not only for this bearkin, but also for all the others that she had been unable to save.

A short figure stood quietly by the door. Jia's eyes, reddened from tears that had been shed privately before coming, looked on in quiet surrender at the mourners. His hidden grief joined theirs as it rose and mingled with the incense, blanketing the room in a stifling morose cloud. Jia lingered a moment longer before sniffing and quietly exiting the room. The councilbear's gaze fixated absently on the floor of the main hall for a long moment. The back of his hand rose to his nose as he gave it a quick wipe and sniffed again.

"I wish you were here, Misha..." he mumbled to himself while glancing at the activity outside the infirmary doors on the other side of the hall. "I'm no help in this kind of fight...I'm not strong enough...."

ecad7748732a93cae79a8d3547053978.jpg
The double doors to the town hall opened as Wei entered. He glanced around the hall, his gaze lingering on the infirmary side of the hall for a moment, before he turned and saw Jia shuffling away from the room he had just came from. Long purposeful strides carried Wei in the direction of the councilbear, who didn't seem to take notice of him until he called Jia's name.

"Master Jia those who are able to make the journey are ready to depart for the monastery. We have a few wagons prepared for the ill, but Mhu'ati insisted that the worst patients should not be removed from quarantine. She volunteered to stay behind with them."

Jia snapped to attention at the sound of his formal title and looked Wei in the eyes as he gave his report. Nodding while clearing his throat, Jia motioned for Wei to follow as he began moving towards the infirmary.

"Lady Bao has finally relented. We can consolidate the ill here in the town hall when we get back. For now, start loading up those who can make the trip from the infirmary. Once that's done, get Beni ready for transport. I want her in shackles the entire time and covered with a cloak to not draw attention. I'll handle the fae woman myself."

Wei nodded and entered the infirmary. Jia stood as though he were about to enter a daze again, but then turned on his heel, glaring at the door leading down to where Ciu'nan was kept.

saxon saxon

1e5d837467aca7aa965b4221317faf4a.jpg

Hathaway would be taken to the brink throughout the evening and early morning hours. His headache worsened to a migraine which nauseated him. Chills set in causing him to wake intermittently as he tossed and turned.

When he did sleep, his dreams were various iterations of running from some tireless malice pursuing him. In each vision, the world was dark, but a lone source of light off in the distance called to him. Having no alternative, he would run to this light, but time and time again, he would be awakened or else plunged into a new vision where the cat and mouse game resumed anew.

Finally, a few hours before dawn, he would succeed in catching up to the light. Grabbing hold of this shapeless luminance, it was grow into the form of a staff remarkably like his own. Hathaway would feel a power course through him as he spoke an incantation or prayer he had not heard before.

Come morning, the priest would awake to find his hand clutching tightly to his stave. He would be utterly refreshed despite his night spent in turmoil. When he emerges from his room, he would eventually run into Mhu'ati.

"Ah, molo, Hathaway! I am so happy to see you awake! How are you feeling? Should you be out of bed?" Her relief at seeing him upright and functional would be obvious in her tone, but she would quickly shift into mothering mode as she interrogated him over his current condition. Once she was satisfied that he was truly alright, she would breathe a sigh of relief. "I am glad. The quarantine patients are not doing well. Some seem like they might...." Her voice trailed off as she was unable to finish the though. "But you! You will be ok now. I am sure of it! You are strong! Are you sure you are not half beastkin? Ah, I joke! Look at me: holding you up when there is work to do for us both. The bearkin are assembling by the town hall. They will be heading to the monastery soon. You should join them! I have things covered here for now. There is...not much left to do at this point...." Mhu'ati's gaze fell to the floor. As a means of distracting herself, she reached out and gently pushed Hathaway along. "You go. I will be waiting for you all when you get back."
9dc5ecabdc601f863545bd2123984075.jpg

Kenju Law Kenju Law

Hathaway

Titles: [Human], [Priest], [Landless Lord]
Clyvelle Clyvelle saxon saxon
1711841054940.png

The meandering pain of a headache thumped throughout his skull constantly. It wasn't too unlike the night he has prior from Akim's test. The pain would of course bring along discomfort. Which brought about him tossing and turning in his bed. Within that was a never-ending dream, or perhaps nightmare.

A darkness hunted him, for in his preception for a very long time. He didn't know why he was afraid of that amalgam of pitch blacknesss, but when he looked backwards, he found out. It was a pack of dogs, all far larger than himself. They were ravenous and hungering with saliva flying from their mouths as they hounded to feast upon Hathaway's flesh.

The terror would seize his heart, causing him to run harder. Why should he be scared of dogs? He was fine with dogs, but these particular dogs were different. He remembered what they were. In the previous world he lived in, he would struggle to find scraps of food from corners and dark alleys, where rabid dogs would attack him for invading their territory.

This was a constant occurrence in the final days in his previous life. With only the morbid aspect of freezing to death being his salvation. It was a pitiful end that he didnt want to remember.

Through the everexpanding darkness of his dream, a light would come down. It was a hand, a giant slender feminine hand that he would jump onto and it carried him high. Far away from his fears. Only to then find himself dropped back down and this cycle would continue on and on.

Until finally, a staff of light would come down. With feverish desperation, Hathaway grabbed onto the staff. Once he did, the light would expanded and his lips moved by themselves, "To enrich the town, grow a garden in thy yard. To grow thy garden, enrich the spirit."

Such a prayer would find Hathaway's eyes opening. Regaining his senses, he found Mhu'ati by his bedside. There she informed him of the situation and what was going on. "I see,...that's....unfortunate..." he gave a forlorn expression. Thinking about the people he couldn't help, his fist clenched tightly. Even at her jokes, he couldn't feign a smile.

Hathaway unconsciously grabbed his staff and when he did, felt something different about it. He didn't have time to ponder it's meaning when Mhu'ati pushed him along. "Thank you, I'll make sure to meet you later." He spoke kindly before continuing towards the town hall.

24750ed38ce17ea22d8e5634a726a72e.jpg
Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Merry - character is frequently overcome with fae like merriment. While more respectable individuals may try to hide their amusement at improper times, character freely displays their amusement. It is often contagious.
Jia would begin moving towards the back of the town hall. His movements were more purposeful now--driven, even--by an apparent vigor that suddenly motivated his limbs into action with aggressively concise motions. Jia's paws reached out in front of him as his entire body leaned into the action of opening a door using more force than necessary. As it swung open and thudded satisfacorily against a wall, Jia pressed on down a staircase cut out of the stone of the mountain. His paws fell nearly silent on the cool stone as he descended into the chamber below.

Ignoring the lantern hung at the bottom of the stairs, Jia wandered into the darkness of the town hall's cellar. Passing through familiar shelves of various goods, he sought out the glow of a second lantern held by one of a pair of bearkin guards standing in the back of the chamber. Between them was a shut door. The guard holding the lantern raised it to illuminate the one approaching them. Seeing it was Jia he lowered the lantern.

"Anything to report?" Jia asked.

The guards shook their heads. "She's been quiet all night, sir."

Jia's eyes narrowed.

"Open it. We're moving her now."

The guard not holding the lantern withdrew a keyring from his belt. Finding the correct key, he unlocked the door and pulled it open. Jia entered as the pair of guards followed behind him. Descending another set of stairs, they arrived in the chamber where Jia had left Ciu'nan tied to a chair the night before. Four bearkin stood just out of reach of the fae, who had been suspended from a beam in the ceiling by a chain connecting the shackles now fastened to her wrists. Her body hung limp and still as Jia approached her.

"It's time, fae. We're going to be taking you to your judgment now. Feel free to attack me or my men, so that we can dispense with formalities and execute you here and now. Would save us quite a bit of trouble."

The bearkin all tensed as Ciu'nan raised her head to look at Jia. Her face was tear streaked.

"Is Beni...alright?"

While the guards standing around her went about loosing her from the beam, Jia stood close by, making a noise of contempt as he folded his arms.

"What would it matter to you?" Jia snapped. "You've already caused the death of my assistant. Involving Beni in your schemes has now endangered her as well. I have no evidence that you care about anyone."

Ciu'nan's breath shuddered. The chains clinked softly as she was loosed from the beam. Jia approached and the guard promptly reattached the shackle to his offered wrist. A separate set of shackles were attached to her ankles.

"I...I'm thirsty...."

"I could give you drink...but it might be poisoned. Let's go."

For standing at nearly half of Ciu'nan's height, Jia pulled her along with surprising force and urgency. By the time they reached the lobby, Wei was walking to the entrance with a cloaked figure.

1a81383f946d3e8a8bb8c34090de8ea3.jpg

Stepping outside of the inn-turned-triage-unit, Hathaway would find a wet world. The rain that had been approaching was now here in full force. Great drops fell all around, completely saturating all of Kruhrin. The roasting fires would have long sinced been doused. In the aftermath of the outbreak, it would seem the rain had come to finish washing away any sign of the festivities that had been transpiring all that week.

Water streamed down the hill leading up to the town hall and the meadow beyond. It could be heard hitting the rooves and dripping off into puddles collecting below. The rocky earth beneath Hathaway's feet would be a saving grace in such weather as he didn't have to worry about getting stuck in the mud. Getting wet, however, would be any unavoidable reality.

As Hathaway climbed the hill leading towards the town hall, he would spot a small caravan of covered wagons parked in a row near the caves. Horses and even one bear were all harnessed up, ready to pull the wagons off towards the meadow. From one of the carts a shout came through the downpour.

"Oi, priest! We have room over here! Come ride with us!"

Hathaway might faintly recognize the individual as one of the starstruck patients he had healed early on the previous day. He was beckoning him into the (mostly) dry wagon where he and a handful of others were awaiting departure. One thing that was certain is that, even despite the heavier downpour, his ride today would be much more pleasant than the rickshaw ride he got from Jia yesterday.

A group would exit the town hall, while Hathaway made up his mind. They moved quickly towards the caravan due to the rain. All were adorned with cloaks and blankets to stave off the cold and wet. One of the slower moving individuals walking with help from attendants on either side might be recognized as Lady Bao. She was carrying something under in her arms under her cloak. The rest of the group were covered in cloaks and unrecognizable.

Kenju Law Kenju Law

Last edited:
Hathaway

Clyvelle Clyvelle

1712515649350.png
Hathaway treaded through the rainy stone paths down the town. Only the noise of the drizzling rain and his shoes splashing the occasional puddles could be heard. The young man couldn't help but notice the complete contrast from the other day when the festival was firing on all cylinders. "Just what in blazes could have happened?" Hathaway pondered to himself dreadfully. He said that, but he knew what it was all the responsibility of the sickness that plagued the area.

In this rainy slump, Hathaway was invited into a caravan by one of the riders. Seeing it was one of the patients that he helped earlier, managed to put a small smile on his lips. "Thank you, I think if I stayed any longer I would have gotten washed away." he shook the fellow's hand before taking a seat within one of the wagons. Getting away from the downpour managed to give him a bit of a clear head, inducing a deep breath.

While he was gathering his thoughts, his wandering eyes caught the sight of more cloaked figures. Hathaway noticed someone familiar, it was Lady Bao! Surprised to see the bearkin, the priest rushed to her side. He would lean forward slightly and speak in hushed town to make sure he wasn't too loud, "Lady! What's going on here!? It's like the world has been totally flipped!". He frantically walked beside, desperation clearly in his voice and movements.

Hathaway looked at Lady Bao curiously before remembering what he had heard from Jia, "And what's this I heard of non-bearkin getting the lesser of your attention!? People's live are at stake, is such a thing truly necessary!?" there was true frustration in his voice, which was tinged with his own failure earlier.

Last edited:
Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Upon seeing Wei with the figure ahead of them, Ciu'nan would perk up some and take a few steps ahead of Jia, her free hand outstretched towards the pair.

"Beni...? Beni is that you?" Ciu'nan called uncertainly at the shrouded figure next to Wei.

The figure stopped momentarily, causing Wei to look down at them. He wrapped an arm around their shoulders and coaxed them forward. Jia yanked Ciu'nan back to his side, who shot a glare at her diminutive jailer before turning back to the pair.

"Beni, I'm sorry!" Ciu'nan cried.

No response was given as Wei and his charge exited the town hall. Jia impatiently began marching ahead now, yanking Ciu'nan after him if she lagged behind. As they passed the infirmary, a figure appeared in the doorway. Ciu'nan turned, her eyes widening as she beheld the masked man. He stood quite still as he observed her being tugged along. Ciu'nan's jaw clenched.

"This is all your fault!" She spat at the figure.

The entourage of bearkin stopped suddenly, staring at her with perplexed expressions.

"What are you shouting all of a sudden? Don't make a scene, fae. Let's go!" Jia yanked on her arm again, but this time Ciu'nan resisted.

"No! That's the one who caused me to do this! He's even threatened to do something far worse to your village if I didn't do as he said!" Ciu'nan cried trying to tug Jia towards the infirmary door. Jia dug in his heels, trying to stop his captive.

"You crazy fae! We are the only ones here! Now quit making a fuss, so we can get this over with!"

In the span of a blink, Ciu'nan no longer saw the masked man in the doorway. She turned this way and that, looking all around for any sign of him.

"No! I'm telling you: he was right there!" Now the rest of the bearkin guards intervened, assisting Jia in restraining Ciu'nan as she became increasingly more agitated. After much struggle, she was pinned. Jia stood over her, a deadly serious look in his eye.

"You leave me no choice." Jia deftly placed his left index and middle fingers on Ciu'nan's forehead and began chanting. His fingers periodically tapped her forehead. Slowly Ciu'nan's struggling began to lessen until her body went slack. Her eyes stared blankly straight ahead. Jia finished his chanting and stood with a sigh. "Carry her to the cart. After that display I definitely won't be unshackling myself from her."

The guards would quickly follow Jia's orders. He trotted alongside them as they brought her to the cart. Theirs was a separate cart just for Jia, Ciu'nan, Wei and Beni.

The patient would graciously return Hathaway's handshake. Oddly enough, this cart seemed to be full of non-bearkin who had somehow escaped the plague now gripping the village. Only one individual towards the front of the cart sniffled slightly.

Once Hathaway was in the cart, the patient would tell the others what Hathaway had done for him. The other occupants would chime in with their own thanks for saving their friends and loved ones. Amidst all their gushing, Hathaway would abruptly leave, causing understandable confusion.

Hathaway would intercept Lady Bao a short ways from the carts. While he followed after with his questions, Lady Bao remained silent. Her attendants answered instead as the councilbear entered her cart.

"Lady Bao mustn't be bothered. This journey to the monastery is far more important than you realize, outsider. If you wish to tag along, please use one of the other carts."

From within the cart, came a soft voice struggling to be loud.

"Let him ride with me. At the very least, I owe him that much."

The attendants hurried Hathaway into the cart. Shortly after, calls were made announcing the caravan's departure. Lady Bao sat cradling the bundle in her arms, staring absently at the floor. The cart jostled as the driver coaxed the animal to begin pulling. After a long silence, Bao sighed.

"This is the closest to being alone I've been for the past two days. It's...rather pleasant, considering the state of our town. Feels like I can breathe for a moment or two. Do you think it's wrong for me to feel this way?"

Kenju Law Kenju Law

Hathaway

Clyvelle Clyvelle
1713016048004.png
Uncharacteristically, when told by the attendant to back down, Hathaway felt no urge to quell his hostility. The priest stood by with no intention of backing down from seeking his answers. The reason for his current stubbornness was obviously as a result of the events unfolding before their eyes. That's why, even if he knew it was disrespectful, he would be budged from confronting Lady Bao.

It was only when Lady Bao gave way to letting Hathaway sit beside her that he moved. There was an odd somberness to her voice. The young man wasn't used to her defeated tone and reluctantly sat near her. While he was looking at the bearkin, he tried to grasp the meaning of her sorry besides the obvious fact of this disaster. As he listening to her words, Hathaway continued his glare before eventually sighing and relaxing himself. In regards to her words, the priest waited a moment before speaking "...I'm sure you've worked your hardest the few days, Lady Bao. I only got here recently myself thanks to Jia, and it was an arduous task. I can't imagine what you must've had to go through."

Hathaway looked down displeasingly upon recalling the memory. Keeping his eyes at the other people coming onto the caravan, he continued to speak, "I wish I could have gotten here earlier to help. I was out at Master Akim's monastery, learning his ways. Hah, I knew it was just a selfish endeavor. I wanted to get stronger. Now look at what a moment of thinking of myself results in. I shouldn't have left." Self deprecation finally overflowed out of him. Trying not to let the heavy air around him stay any longer, the man shifted onto the next subject. "I got a gist of it, but truly just what is happening Lady Bao? How could it happen so fast? Also.....what is that, you're holding?"

Character Grade - E

Titles: Human, Martial Artist, West Empire Adventurer, Do-Gooder, Loyal

mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle Kenju Law Kenju Law

Actions/Cooldown

Crymaria had much to ponder on; there were the matters she had been told about the night before. The fact that many accusations had been going around, though there was also the matter of Alexi, which she hoped the bear was doing alright. Though that really depended on how bad the bleeding was, if he lost too much blood, then that was the end of that. If the bearkin was alive, she would have to buy him a drink upon his return. But for the moment, there were the accusations of Cui'nan, though it seemed the bearskin had their evidence gathered against her.

So there she sat outside the town hall, trying to piece things together, ignoring what was going on around her.
So many questions of my comrades that are still unanswered, if the bearkin believe they have enough evidence then they will stick with it. From what I have seen these comrades do not just go on a whim. However, that doesn't mean they know the whole story, either. They simply have the evidence to prove she was involved in the matter and came to a conclusion based on that. She thought to herself, letting out a small sigh as she felt a familiar nudge. Looking over she saw Boris to which she grinned.

"Alright, alright, fine, fine," Crymaria relented as she stood up, enjoying the fact that she was muck-free, unlike the night before. Though the smell lingered slightly still, she figured it would go away soon enough. She stretched for a moment as she then started to wrestle with her bear companion, attempting to put him in a headlock. No doubt any onlookers would think she was crazy for wrestling with a bear in the city. But that wasn't important at the moment.

Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Ciu'nan was much more manageable, being sedated by Jia's technique. Wei and the others had no trouble transporting her to the caravan. On their way, they spotted Crymaria playing with Boris in the pooring rain.

"If you're coming, climb onto a wagon. A separate detachment will be breaking off to find Alexei." Wei called to her.

Crymaria wouldn't be able to join Wei in his cart, but she could follow the other hunters onto their wagon.

-----

Ciu'nan was lifted into the cart and positioned next to Jia, who decidedly nudged her away from him so that she slumped in the opposite direction. He faced Wei and Beni, who sat across from him in the wagon. They were silent except for Wei calling to the driver that they were ready to depart.

The rain fell heavy outside the covering over the wagon. An accompanying wind whipped any loose sections of the tarp, allowing rain to squirm its way inside along the edges in a few places.

After a few minutes of travel, Jia cleared his throat.

"Wei...you didn't see anyone strange in the infirmary, did you?"

The lead hunter thought for a moment.

"No, sir. They were all bearkin as Lady Bao had instructed. A few of the attendants making last minute preparations. No one strange."

Jia sat silently, staring out a gap in the wagon covering caused by the tarp flapping in the wind. Wei looked at his overseer.

"Did...you...see something, sir...?" he asked hesitantly.

Jia's gaze remained fixed out the gap in the tarp, but his eyes narrowed at Wei's question.

"Checkers." he finally said.

A perplexed look tilted Wei's features as he looked across at Jia.

"Sir...?"

"Checkers is a very straightforward game with simple rules. There are two sides, each with its own distinct color. These sides take turns making moves and trying to outwit the other, methodically jumping their pieces and removing them from the board. One particular rule, simple but important, governs what constitutes as a legal move on the board: that is, all pieces must move along the same colored spaces. The board is made up of 64 squares alternating two different colors. If this simple rule were ignored, checkers would suddenly become a lot more complicated than it need be."

Wei's confused expression only deepened as Jia rattled off his explanation of the boardgame.

"I'm sorry, sir. I...What are you trying to say...?"

Jia suddenly turned to face Wei.

"I'm very good at checkers, Wei, but that's only if everyone plays by the same rules that I know. I'm moving my pieces along the proper channels, but it feels like someone is moving along the forbidden channel, trying to pull one over on me."

Revelation was beginning to dawn on Wei as his expression relaxed into understanding. He settled back against his bench.

"What are your orders, sir?"

Jia stared at Wei for a moment, then his gaze shifted next to him to Beni, who had looked up curiously as Jia spoke. Next he turned to Ciu'nan's slumped form next to him. Finally, he returned to Wei.

"We have a duty to present the matter concerning these two to the guardian, so that justice can be meted out. Until that happens, we can't let anyone, or anything, interfere."

"Understood."
Came Wei's supportive reply.

Lady Bao was content to let Hathaway have his say. She simply sat gingerly holding the object in her lap, staring absently down at the floor as he shared his heart on the current events. When Hathaway asked her what was going on, she answered with a nonchalant air.

"This is what the end of an age looks like, child. It is the passing of seasons, the old dying to make way for the young. These are times of transition, and change never comes easily. It is like a mother about to give birth. There is pain and screaming and blood, and then...she holds her child for the first time. Perhaps you are too young to know it yet, but looking into the eyes of that new life you helped create...it is some of the most powerful healing I have ever encountered. I am hoping that Kruhrin can experience that as it embraces the new life that is being birthed from this catastrophe."

At the mention of the item she held, her arms curled a little tighter around it.

"This is Kruhrin's most important artifact. It was a gift given to us at Kruhrin's founding."
She hesitantly pulled a flap back to reveal an antique honey pot. "Unfortunately, it ran dry. Had this been full, the plague which currently has the town in a death grip would have passed by harmlessly." She pulled the cover back over the pot as she finished speaking.

Kenju Law Kenju Law

Character Grade - E

Actions/Cooldown

Crymaria looked over when she heard the familiar voice of Wei mention the cart. At this point, she felt like she needed to go on the trip to the monastery. Giving him a nod of her head she stopped wrestling with Boris and then moved to one of the hunters carts that had room. "Alright Comrade Boris, stay close," She stated getting into the wagon and waiting for the trip to start.

Clyvelle Clyvelle

With a listless gaze, Hathaway pondered Bao's words carefully. He could clearly see these events were weighing heavy on her aswell, but she had a wise aura about her. "..Well I do pray that what is birthed from this chaos is worth the pain and suffering," he spoke with some exasperation in his tone.

Seeing the item Bao held, Hathaway appraised the object with some interest. He half-heartedly tried to decipher it's age from its withered visage but quickly gave up. "The fact that you're carrying it right now...does that mean there's a way to refill it's contents?!" The priest proclaimed, becoming more excited from his own deduction. Leaning further closer, Hathaway continued his fervor "Please tell me, Lady Bao, what can I do to help?"

Last edited:
Ciu'nan

| Fae | Merry |
The carts begans moving out of the Kruhrin. The beasts of burden pulling them didn't seem particularly fond of the rain, but they were less bothered than those having to make the journey on foot next to the caravan. Occasional coughs and moans could be heard from beneath the water resistant tarps topping each wagon. It would be a longer journey for some, much longer for others.

The carriage Crymaria found herself in a wagon that contained the remaining hunters that were keeping law and order in the absence of Misha's larger guard faction. Most hung their heads or otherwise leaned against one another as they lightly jostled from the movement of the wagon. They had been stretched thin the past few days between the scouting missions and then the sudden need for military presence at the town hall. It shown on their faces that they were ready for a mini hibernation at the soonest convenience.

One guard in particular bore a sour expression on his face but he seemed a bit more awake than the others. His jaw hesitantly moved as he chewed on something sticking out of his mouth.

saxon saxon

-----

Ciu'nan began to regain herself shortly after the caravan had departed. She tried to bring her hand to her head, but was confused to find it stuck on something. She lifted her head to peer over at her wrist and saw the shackle betwixt her and Jia. The latter's gaze shifted to her as she began to sit up. Ciu'nan used her free hand instead to hold her head as she peered around the wagon.

She started to speak but coughed as she abruptly recalled her previous request for water had gone unanswered. Looking between Wei and Jia, she couldn't bring herself to repeat her request. Ciu'nan stuck her free hand through a gap between the tarp and wagon and cupped it under the runoff trickling off the tarp. Once a few drops were nestled into her palm she would eagerly bring her hand to her mouth to slurp up what she could. She would repeat this process until Jia begrudgingly thrust his gourd into her side. Ciu'nan would look at the gourd and then to Jia before returning to her water collecting. An irritated sigh escaped Jia.

"It's not poisoned. See?"
said he as he popped the cork in the gourd and trickled some of the water inside into his muzzle.

Ciu'nan looked at Jia for a moment before snatching the gourd and guzzling down the remainder of its contents. She tossed the empty container back to Jia, who caught it with a disgusted look.

"Where are we?" Ciu'nan asked as she tried to peer through the gaps in the wagon covering.

"Somewhere between Kruhrin and the monastery." Jia answered vaguely.

Ciu'nan frowned at Jia's unhelpful answer, but then Beni caught her eye. She leaned towards the rabbitkin as her expression softened.

"How are you doing, Beni...?" Ciu'nan asked

"Sit back, fae!" Jia said as he forcefully shoved her with a tiny paw. "What do you think this is? Some casual trip in the countryside with friends? You are a criminal. We are on our way to your trial. You very likely only have a short time left amongst the living."

"Then why would I not spend those moments seeing to someone I care about?"
Ciu'nan interrupted before turning back to Beni. "Beni you must know that hurting you wasn't my intention. None of this is what I wanted."

Beni lifted her head to direct a tearful gaze at Ciu'nan.

"I watched him take his last breath, Ciu'nan." Beni said. "These bears are the only family I have, and because of you, I've lost the only thing that mattered. Don't pretend that you care about me."

The sound of the rain filled in the silence that fell over the occupants of the wagon. Ciu'nan's gaze fell as she sat back in her seat. Jia folded his arms.

"Withholding information was your choice, Beni. That betrayal of our trust is why you are here alongside the fae." Jia said soberly.

Beni's head fell once more, the hood obscuring her features as tiny sniffling sounds could be heard.

8e2179f19baa714f8f8fb6b0e48ae651.jpg

"You guess rightly, priest. In fact, the refilling of this honey pot is one of the main purposes of Orson's Feast. This, the fifth day of the feast, we bears of Kruhrin gather at the monastery to commune with Orson and receive the blessing of his honey. This is our last hope of salvation in the face of this plague."

A pleased expression curled Lady Bao's lips ever so slightly. The priest taking interest in their artifact meant something to her. When he leaned in volunteering his help, Lady Bao just gave him a sad smile.

"Well, I can't say I know much about your faith or your god, but perhaps you wouldn't mind saying a prayer for my departed kin? Maybe a hymn, if you prefer? Whatever rite you might have to help send them on in peace would mean the world to me." said Lady Bao folding her hands in front of the pot in her lap.

Kenju Law Kenju Law

Character Grade - E

Actions/Cooldown

Crymaria yawned as the carts started their journey, she wasn't entirely sure why there was a lack of wagons. But decided to assume it was for security reasons, though much of the events that had transpired over the last couple of days. If she had known what was going to happen and what was about to transpire, she probably would have chosen a different path. Though there wasn't much of a point in regretting the decision now, for the time being, there was unfinished work that needed to be done. I wonder if it rains this much around this time of the year here or if it's uncommon. She thought to herself, turning her head to look out the back of the wagon.

Taking in a deep breath she then turned her attention to the other occupants. She noted they were part of the hunters and based on the look it they seemed like they had been stretched a little too thin for their own good. Not to mention there was still Alexei that needed to be retrieved from the swamp. Though she wasn't overly concerned about the bear. If there was someone that could survive in that swamp wounded it would be him unless the whole building got crushed under the building. But the wailing was still a mystery to her which brought many more questions than answers.

"Comrade, why the sour expression? Is this not a time of celebration for the city or is this only when law needs to be handed out?" She inquired leaning forward to rest her elbows on her thighs.

Hathaway

Clyvelle Clyvelle
1713923799102.png

Hope seemed to slowly gather in Hathaway's eyes the more he heard of Bao's plan to refill the pot. A vague image of the people of Kruhrin being saved was slowly coming into his mind. He wasn't sure how they would get there but wherever Lady Bao was going seemed to be the answer. Thankfully they seemed to be heading to the same place. The priest made sure not to lost track of the bearkin.

"That's odd though.." Hathaway said, tapping his chin quizzically. He the thought back to the information Lady Bao had just given him. "The pot is such an item of importance, surely someone would have noticed it had ran dry. So shouldn't the council have been aware something like this could happen? Shouldn't precautions have been taken in hindsight?" he pondered these questions and spoke them both for himself and Bao. Without a doubt there was more to this story that she hadn't told him yet. Kruhrin itself still had many secrets hiding beneath the surface. He didn't feel it was his station to pry, but if this related to the risking of lives, then he couldn't leave things be.

Once Bao requested him to say something in honor of the deceased and suffering, Hathaway cast his eyes down grimly. Thinking back on the pain and death that he'd seen earlier wasn't something he wanted to reminisce, but he was still a priest and had a duty. Yes, now that he was reminded of it, his job as a priest wasn't only to save lives but also shepherd the souls of the lost and damned. With some renewed purpose in him, Hathaway stood amongst the others in the wagon, scanned them over with eyes of compassion and spoke for them to hear, "Behold the marigolds at my feet. Their beauty is beyond compare. Yet no matter how much sweat the magician tolls, the allure of artificial flora can never turn my eye. Why? Is not their beauty everlasting against the cruel rot of time? But that is why, it is because the marigold's life is so miniscule that we treasure it so. For only when their light is gone that we truly cherish it's brilliance. So when my flora withers away, I will weep but I will know it's beauty will have glowed ever brighter in my heart and everlasting in my soul."

Ciu'nan

| Fae | Merry |
The bear turned his attention to Crymaria. He seemed grateful for a distraction from the unpleasant taste currently saturating his mouth.

"Oh, it's these roots. Mhu'ati handed them out to us. Said they would help keep us awake. Alert. She was right, of course, but they are downright awful!" said the bear as he glanced around at the others. "We all tried them, but the others couldn't stand them. I figured out that if you can push through the initial ick, the taste sort of mellows out, making them...erm...somewhat tolerable at least. If they'll help me do my part, I'll struggle through just about anything. It's not like we have much choice at the moment what with Misha and the others being gone." His eyes opened slightly as a thought occurred to him. "Say, you were the one helping us with scouting, weren't you? You went out to the wetland with Alexei?"

saxon saxon

-----

The four occupants of Ciu'nan's cart sat quietly for a long while. In the silence, Ciu'nan grew contemplative. She thought of what she could remember from that other time where her children were. The outcome of those events would forever be beyond her reach. Did they live? Did they grow old? Marry? Have children? Were they happy?

"Do you have children? Cubs, I mean?" She asked quietly, looking from Jia to Wei. They both refused to answer. When Ciu'nan knew there was no answer coming, she continued, more or less thinking aloud. "I had children once. Three of them: two boys and a little girl. The boys looked too much like their father, who...was not a man that I chose to be with. But my little girl"--a smile gently stretched her mouth as a distant look clouded her eyes--"she was all me...and more. I was so reserved back then...but my daughter proudly displayed everything I kept inside. She was unstoppable." Silence took over the wagon once more as Ciu'nan withdrew into her thoughts. The smile lingered still on her face.

The caravan was coming up on the amphitheatre. They would arrive at the road to the wetlands shortly. It was slight but the rain had lessened somewhat as they ventured out from Kruhrin. The hunters heading out to rescue Alexei would have a wet journey indeed.

8e2179f19baa714f8f8fb6b0e48ae651.jpg

Lady Bao bowed her head. Her lips pursed as she shifted the honey pot in her lap.

"It is the double edged nature of this lifegiving honey: it comes directly from the guardian, who only appears to us on this day each year. Once the supply has ran out for the year, all we can do is wait until the feast to get more." She sniffed suddenly straightening her posture slightly. "It was a blessing that this plague came now and not earlier in the year. Many more would have most certainly been lost. Perhaps all of us."

When Hathaway began speaking, Lady Bao closed her eyes. It might have looked to outsiders like she was sleeping, but those nearby could tell she was still awake. Her circular ears twitched occasionally, and her grip tightened on the honey pot in her lap. Only when Hathaway had finished speaking did the councilbear open her eyes. She slowly reached a withered paw out to Hathaway and gently laid hold on his wrist. After a brief moment and tiny squeeze, she released him back to his seat with a smile.

"Marigolds...Mhu'ati told me once about a traveler that stopped by her home some time ago. He was a sickly man, who believed his life was nearing its end. The pack he carried was filled to the brim with marigold flowers. Mhu'ati being an herbalist, she naturally asked him about the marigolds in his possession. He said they were for a ritual he would be performing soon. He was looking for a place to perform the ritual, so that when he died, his spirit would find peace. In the end, he built a small altar in a clearing not far from Mhu'ati's home. The marigolds were placed all over the altar and the ground around it. Ever since then, the area has been covered in marigolds each year."

Kenju Law Kenju Law

Character Grade - E

Actions/Cooldown

Crymaria nodded her head as the hunter explained the root to which her expression soured as he explained the bitterness of the root. "Comrade, I do not think that I would give anyone that root; the bitterness alone would make me despise it as it," Crymaria explained as he thought about the taste that sent a shiver down her spine. She pondered the idea of whether Comrade Boris would like it or not, though that was something she could test at a later date. Though she knew her comrade wasn't too overly picky with food but she might have to try and get some of those roots later and see what happens.

"I mean, I suppose if the taste mellows out, however, that is still not something I would wish upon someone. But if it allows you to accomplish what you were doing then you might as well use it I suppose," Crymaria nodded her head as she looked out the back of the wagon to see if there was anything going on at that moment of time when she was pulled back from her thoughts as Alexei was mentioned.

"Yes, Comrade Boris and I were the ones who went with Alexei during his scouting mission, though he was injured during it and couldn't make it back, so he elected to remain in an old structure. I told Wei, and he said there would be people going to pick him up today," Crymaria explained as she perked up a little bit from her normally collected expression. She knew that if anyone could survive out there it would be Alexei the bear practically seemed to live there anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back