• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Kruhrin Village][Ciu'nan]Orson's Feast III

Screenshot_20231118-113134-327.png

Joannes otherwise solemn expression gave way to surprise, the nun was having a hard time and she was going to be sick! She heaved once more as the toad poured whatever was in his cauldron into jars. But then, something surprisingly horrible happened. The frog creature threw a jar at their feat, splattering a few bits on her hair, with most of it having landed on Levia as she stood behind her and got most of the impact.

"I.. beg your pardon?" She asked the frog and the witch at the same time. However, after the little mischief, the frog made a run for it. "Please forgive me for what I'm about to do!" She exclaimed as Joanne ran after the frog, then within range she'd use [Forced Penance E] to keep the frog in place. "God wills it for you to be still."

• Forced Penance - Magic E - Holy Affinity F - Magic Incapacitating F - Magic Range F - 30ft - Forces a target within reach to kneel if able otherwise immobilized for the duration of [Magic - Incapacitating F] - 1 Cool down - Grade E

Last edited:

Character Grade - E

Titles: Human, Martial Artist, West Empire Adventurer, Do-Gooder, Loyal

mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle Kenju Law Kenju Law RavenSong RavenSong Scarletti Scarletti

Actions/Cooldown

Crymaria was glad to be inside the hall, rubbing biceps, she tried to bring more warmth back to her arms. Looking around, she saw Beni motion for her and Ciu'nan to come on up. When they reached the room with the other hunters were gathered. Finding a spot toward the back of the room she leaned against the back of the room as she listened to what Beni had to say on the matter. From how Beni explained the situation, Crymaria brought her hand to her chin as the situation seemed to be dire. However, the fact that even these bearkin would have issues with them was something more concerning.

When Beni backed off and then let the captain come up and speak, she refocused her attention to the information at hand. When it was time for questions to be asked, Crymaria pushed herself off the wall and took a few steps forward.
"Are these frogs usually a threat in most cases? Or is it more of a fact that they are being dealt with now because the festival is in danger?" She inquired as the sense of urgency and how dangerous the situation was depended on the events of the surrounding area or if this was just something they wanted to deal with now.

"Comrade Hunter, indeed, there is more information than what a legend says. If the other hunters have been able to hunt them before, then there is a way to do it, though the experienced ones are not here. Secondly, do we even have a plan currently?" Crymaria inquired as she looked at the captain; if there wasn't a plan then in her mind the whole thing was doomed from the beginning. Not to mention she did have other things that she needed to look into.

Hathaway
Titles: [Human], [Priest], [Landless Lord]
Clyvelle Clyvelle saxon saxon
1700453710188.png

Hathaway greeted both Ciu'nan, Crymaria and of course Boris, when he got the chance to meet them again. It was surprising to him that they would meet up at a place like this so soon. Just what circumstances had their investigation brought them to? While he was contemplating this, the Beastkin had entered and gathered to request of them a mission.

"While I'm happy to offer assistance, I must ask something. I am capable of healing, like you sought. However, my healing is of the magical variety. Taking into account your culture, am I to assume that you're fine with me using my magical healing in these lands?" Asked Hathaway as he looked at them all earnestly, especially Lady Bao. Thinking back to her tale from yesterday, he clearly remembered the negativity that surrounded healing magic. If there was to be a special exception for this occasion, then he wanted to be sure of it.

The fact that they were being asked if this mission showed that they had managed to gain some trust. Hathaway was glad to be able to attain such a connection. Not only that, but it allowed them to help maintain the peace of the festival like they asked. "Other than that, I'll gladly lend whatever aid I can for you all. Some of that Mushroom Soup wouldn't be a bad idea as well. Though I'm surprised I still have enough room in my stomach after Sifu Daichi had me eat that mountain of meat."

Kruhrin is a town carved into the top of the foothills on the Ryke-East Empire border. The town is comprised of three semicircular terraces, each standing about 24 feet high, wrapped around a central plaza where the main entrance is located. The main road leading up through the terraces cuts off a wedge of land equal to a fourth of the town on the northern side. This land is mostly forested and sloping, with a windmill at its foot and a small shelf at the top used as a sort of campground. The natural peak of the foothill remains intact save for a natural split where the main road passes through to the meadow beyond.

The plaza, aka the first terrace, is the lowest point of Kruhrin and acts as the tourist level. There is a singular expansive tavern as well as shops that non-locals would find helpful during their stay. Many celebrations and feasts are held in the plaza. The buildings on this terrace are a mix of one and two story structures, with the two story buildings being shops with an upstairs living space for the owner.

The second terrace is the residential area. All structures on this level are homes for the citizens of Kruhrin. As such, it's not uncommon to see buildings reach three stories. Also on this terrace, on an isolated rise just above the tavern, is the windmill, the only four story structure in Kruhrin.

The third terrace holds the town hall and acts as the administration level. The three members of the council live in the town hall. Next to it is the barracks of Kruhrin, which is a building shared by the guards and hunters of Kruhrin, who are often both hunter and guard. Next to the barracks is a slaughterhouse where the usable goods are extracted from the carcasses. The edible portions are sold to the tavern, while refinable parts like the pelt and bones are sold as-is.

Behind the town, a vast meadow sprawls across the rolling hills, interrupted periodically by ravines and clifffaces as the mountain range climbs higher. Nestled into the landscape a couple miles from town is an amphitheater where various contests are held, primarily the contests that take place during Orson's Feast. Not far from amphitheater, a rocky formation can be seen where two colossal bear statues guard the way to the monastery of Kruhrin.

eaa2f72e8328eb40bb803163b54cc185.jpg

Wei met Crymaria's gaze as she began to speak. The no nonsense expression on his face conveyed his seriousness regarding the meeting and its topic.

"The frogs are passing through a lowland area that neighbors the meadow behind Kruhrin. This behavior, though rare, is not unprecedented. In times past, they lingered for about a week and wandered off further into the mountains. We assume they exhausted their food supply or are following some preset migratory path.
"They are not actively threatening the town in their current location, and we would like to keep it that way. For now, scouting and keeping tabs on them is all that's necessary. Should they start moving towards the town, only then would we have to intervene. Making contact before that time would be foolish as a retreating scout party could lead them towards the town.
"This is also the reason why we have never hunted the frogs or otherwise made contact save for a few incidents similar to the one I just told you. Encounters have only ever been accidental or purposeful diversions so that the bulk of our hunting parties could escape the area. Trust me, one time of pulling your friend from the belly of one of those beasts is enough to turn you off the idea for the rest of your life."

When Hathaway spoke up, a most grave expression furrowed Wei's face. He turned to Beni and asked, "Are we clear?" The rabbitkin's ears perked up as she listened for a moment. "Yes, Lady Bao is still in her room with Sifu Akim." she replied. The hunter cleared his throat as he looked around the room. "What I'm about to say does not leave this room." He waited for nods and signs of agreement then continued. "I don't give a damn if Lady Bao or the king of Ryke himself outlaws magical healing. It's only us hunters and the beasts out there in the fields and forests. Telling someone struck with acid to 'wait until the herbs kick in' as their flesh is melting off their bones is the weakest kind of leadership I have ever seen. So if you're willing, priest, you come if we call, heal us with your magic, and don't you dare feel bad about it. I won't."

d0e6a5affb77a3708278ccabc15db4b6.jpg
-----
Caves
Approaching the caves took no time at all--barely a stone's throw from the cart. A cliff face approximately three stories high rose up before them. Each story was terraced to provide a walkway in front of the caves. The caves along the ground level were all opened with no walls, doors, or other blockages to their entryways. The caves along the second story were partially closed off by a mixture of fencing or tarps to partially obscure the entrance. The third story caves were completely walled in with doors.

At a glance, the ground level caves seemed more populated. Some had feral bears coming and going from them or sleeping within. Others had various beastkin camping out in them. All of the caves were single chamber rooms.

To see in the upper two levels, one would need to climb up there via the ladders provided or the stairs hewn into the clifface.

The anuran dashed out onto the ledge while the two ladies were recovering from their disgust and surprise. Levia would give chase with Joanne right behind her. Outside, Levia was falling behind as Joanne passed her in pursuit of their assailant. The nun was closing in fast on the anuran, who took notice with a panicked gasp. Before the devout woman could lay a hand on him, however, the anuran suddenly jumped the whole twelve feet up to the next terrace. As he was about to jump again, Joanne uttered a solemn prayer, hitting him with her divine magic while he was in mid-flight. The runaway chef fell back down to the ground in a kneeling position, unable to move.

Status
Time: mid-afternoon
Weather: overcast, strong winds, cool

Shortly after Joanne subdued the frog creature she held her sleeve to her nose. The stench was unbearable, however she couldn't help but continue to pant as she caught her breath from the sudden exertion of energy to catch up to the agile creature.

"Please forgive me, but i must be heard." She got on her knees along with the frog, "I beg of you to please reduce your practices here. It is quite the disturbance to your neighbors. Perhaps there can be a cooperation between you and the wolf kin down below? Either way, I sincerely apologize for having to resort to such.. crude means."

Having said that, the nun would entwine her hands, "I pray that when this magic breaks we could come to some sort of understanding."

Surely, the nun was quite unaware of these folks politics and how exactly everyone got along, and where to or not overstep the bounds of their peace and order. However, considering this frog folk had thrown a vile jar of pestilence, the nun only thought it appropriate to return the gesture in kind, even to just be heard. However, it was in Joannes best intentions to forge a cooperation.

Last edited:
Seeing the frog freeze midair as it tried escaping and falling to the ground, Levia stopped her chase of the little scoundrel, instead taking her time to stride her way over. After all, there was no point exhausting herself out and taking in even more of this pollution. She'd glance over at the nun, surprised yet impressed that she was capable of such magic. Stepping aside, she'd let Joanne speak to the frog first.

But instead of kicking the frog while he was down and scolding him as she should, the nun was more caring and tried reasoning with the vile creature. Somehow, Levia felt like there was no point reasoning with it, after what it'd done to them earlier. It seemed to be in a hurry to leave, and perhaps there was more than meets the eye. She didn't trust it, not one bit at all.

For now at least, she'd put her trust in the nun to resolve things her way. There was no point getting the frog riled up unnecessarily on her end, as it may cause more trouble for them in the long run.

Character Grade - E

mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle Kenju Law Kenju Law RavenSong RavenSong Scarletti Scarletti

Actions/Cooldown

Crymaria met Wei's gaze as the situation was explained, nodding her head on occasion. However, the reason seemed sound enough that she couldn't help but judge the fact the bearkin didn't know much about the creatures to begin with. That whole part seemed naive to her, if there was a threat why wouldn't you want to learn more about it before it became a problem? Many questions flowed into her mind as she looked over to Comrade Boris for a moment before folding her arms across her chest and tucking her chin a little.

"Correct me if I'm wrong Comrade, you want us to watch the frogs as they hop across the area. However, the only information that we have been given that we can take as a fact is from a legend," Crymaria pointed out as she took a few steps forward. The whole thing right now seemed not entirely bad if they kept their distance but if they had to get in close for whatever reason. Well that was a different story after all no plan surives contact or so they say. "Would it not have made more sense Comrades to study the creatures and a better collection of information about them?" She concluded looking around the room. She wasn't about to back out now but there was flaws that she found with what was said so far.

Infomation could change the whole situation if it was used correctly. Crymaria knew that and her eyes shifted from each individual person. "Had there been time to study the creatures you might have found a way to keep them away from areas or even make it easier to deter them from getting close. But seeing as we are at this crossroads I doubt we have much else we can do besides watch," She concluded.

Hathaway
Titles: [Human], [Priest], [Landless Lord]
Clyvelle Clyvelle saxon saxon
1701144694795.png

Hathaway nodded his head upon receiving information on the mission and the frogs. From the sounds of it, despite how ravenous the frogs could be, the task itself didn't involve intentionally going after them. Since it was only a scouting ordeal, the thought of them being in any mortal danger didn't seem high. Especially considering that fact that Ciunan and Crymaria were along for the ride. Those two seemed well equipped when it came to dealing with the severity of nature.

Speaking of which, after hearing Crymaria's constructive criticism, he was even more sure of his guess. "I think Ms. Crymaria has some well-reasoned advice on the matter. Should we all survive unharmed at the end of all this, I humbly request that her words be taken into consideration." he said while keeping in mind to show respect. Upon seeing the shifty nature of the beastkin, Hathaway's eyebrows furrowed. Then once he heard their explanation, his eyes slowly widened. "I- Is that truly fine to do that without Lady Bao's or the other higherups' approval?!" Hathaway was surprised at this sudden twist in going behind Lady Bao's back.

After pausing to collect his thoughts for moment, Hathaway continued, "Of course, I'd be willing to heal anyone if the times called for it, no matter what. What I mean to say is, isn't it possible to have a conversation with her and the council about this? We all know that Lady Bao is a wise and considerate individual. So I'm sure her and the council would understand if you explain our circumstances!" The priest almost pleaded with them to reconsider. He was sure that Lady Bao was highly respected in these lands. So to hear such dismissal of her opinion was a shock to the young man. More and more, he was constantly finding different side of Kruhrin that he didn't know existed...

Kruhrin is a town carved into the top of the foothills on the Ryke-East Empire border. The town is comprised of three semicircular terraces, each standing about 24 feet high, wrapped around a central plaza where the main entrance is located. The main road leading up through the terraces cuts off a wedge of land equal to a fourth of the town on the northern side. This land is mostly forested and sloping, with a windmill at its foot and a small shelf at the top used as a sort of campground. The natural peak of the foothill remains intact save for a natural split where the main road passes through to the meadow beyond.

The plaza, aka the first terrace, is the lowest point of Kruhrin and acts as the tourist level. There is a singular expansive tavern as well as shops that non-locals would find helpful during their stay. Many celebrations and feasts are held in the plaza. The buildings on this terrace are a mix of one and two story structures, with the two story buildings being shops with an upstairs living space for the owner.

The second terrace is the residential area. All structures on this level are homes for the citizens of Kruhrin. As such, it's not uncommon to see buildings reach three stories. Also on this terrace, on an isolated rise just above the tavern, is the windmill, the only four story structure in Kruhrin.

The third terrace holds the town hall and acts as the administration level. The three members of the council live in the town hall. Next to it is the barracks of Kruhrin, which is a building shared by the guards and hunters of Kruhrin, who are often both hunter and guard. Next to the barracks is a slaughterhouse where the usable goods are extracted from the carcasses. The edible portions are sold to the tavern, while refinable parts like the pelt and bones are sold as-is.

Behind the town, a vast meadow sprawls across the rolling hills, interrupted periodically by ravines and clifffaces as the mountain range climbs higher. Nestled into the landscape a couple miles from town is an amphitheater where various contests are held, primarily the contests that take place during Orson's Feast. Not far from amphitheater, a rocky formation can be seen where two colossal bear statues guard the way to the monastery of Kruhrin.

"Of the things bearkin are known for, a studious nature is not usually among them." Wei said. "I won't deny the truth in your suggestion, but we've simply not had the resources nor an inquisitive individual to do them. While the dimensions I gave are estimations, they were made after briefly examining the frogs up close. We have actually managed to kill one or two, but that was only to save someone or to prevent them from wandering too close to Kruhrin. Unfortunately, the carcasses were in a dangerous area preventing further observation. As you can probably guess, no follow-up investigation was made at a later time either.
"I can understand your frustration at our lack of information, but our methods have worked so far. That said, if you or anyone else would like to observe them for us, I'm sure we can find a way to reward you for your efforts. I won't be risking bearkin lives to do so. At this point we'll have to work with what we have."

Wei nodded at Hathaway's support of Crymaria's idea, but his face was serious once again upon hearing the priest's plea. His reply was firm but with a controlled tone not intended to wound.

"Don't misunderstand us, priest. Every single one of us hunters would die for Lady Bao if necessary. She is a member of the council and like a mother to many of us. That said, she governs the medicinal practices of Kruhrin and that alone. Lady Bao can and does express her preferences on how other factions, like the guards and hunters, carry out their duties. At the end of the day, however, the guards answer to Misha and we hunters answer to Jia. He has already cleared what I just told you."

Beni nodded her head as she stepped forward.

"Even the council has difficulties making certain decisions. The fact of the matter is they won't be in agreement on everything all the time. In those moments, a go-between like myself is useful in keeping the peace."

-----
Caves
Approaching the caves took no time at all--barely a stone's throw from the cart. A cliff face approximately three stories high rose up before them. Each story was terraced to provide a walkway in front of the caves. The caves along the ground level were all opened with no walls, doors, or other blockages to their entryways. The caves along the second story were partially closed off by a mixture of fencing or tarps to partially obscure the entrance. The third story caves were completely walled in with doors.

At a glance, the ground level caves seemed more populated. Some had feral bears coming and going from them or sleeping within. Others had various beastkin camping out in them. All of the caves were single chamber rooms.

To see in the upper two levels, one would need to climb up there via the ladders provided or the stairs hewn into the clifface.

By the time the girls had reached the frog, Joanne's spell was beginning to wear off. His large eyes were wet with brimming tears as he slumped to the side and began aggressively rubbing his shins.

"That hurt, lady!" he said through his howls of pain. When the nun began to speak, the anuran held his piece, sniffling here and there. His cheeks puffed, pouting a bit at her scolding. "I was leaving when you stopped me. What if you had broken my legs, huh? What then??" Free of Joanne's spell, the anuran stood up. "I'm going now unless you're going to try to stop me again. Tell them to dump the cauldron if they don't like the smell. I won't be coming back for it."

Status

“Hah! Serves you right for causing this mess and running away immediately after.” Levia scoffed, as she gestured at her tainted dress soaked in the nasty sludge. Turning to the nun, she would nod at her. “Ignore his yapping, I think you did a pretty good job myself.”

The anuran then told them he was going to leave without cleaning up his own mess, and instead wanting others to clean up after him. “Hey hey hey, not so fast buddy. I believe you owe us an apology, first and foremost. And then you can clean up your mess yourself. You wouldn't want to be frozen again after all, would you?” She threatened the froggie, her hand glowing blue with her own ice magic. She was more than capable of freezing this frog herself, and she had absolutely no room for sympathy for the frog here, not after what it’d done to them.

Joanne flinched at the frogs exclamations, she felt a little bad that it had to come to this. However, "I-i just felt I had no choice. How else could anyone react to a glass jar being thrown at them and.." the nun would turn to Levia, and shook her head empathetically at the witches dress then back at the frog. "..yes, perhaps further evaluation of your behavior could yield our actions just."

"I.." Joannes stuttered at the frog complaining about the possibility of him breaking his legs then turning back to an indifferent Levia. The witch was right, however, she could t help but feel a bit of guilt and be somewhat sympathetic to the frog folk, perhaps, that's just how frog folk were?

"I feel we don't know much about one another, how about you come back with us to your place, clean up your area and then you may depart. It would certainly speak volumes of your character and be remembered with respect instead of disdain."

Getting up she moved besides the distressed witch, placing a hand on her icy shoulder, "You have every right to be upset, it's certainly a beautiful dress. But.. I feel he might do the right thing. If he doesn't, then I leave it to your discernment." She entwined her hands as if in prayer and looked at the frog folk, "Well? What's it going to be?"

Character Grade - E

Actions/Cooldown

As Crymaria heard Hathaway say "Ms", she faked coughed, "Comrade." Though she was content, at least someone else in the room agreed that more research on the creatures should have been carried out long before this became a problem. Had they collected the information before then she knew they would be better prepared for the situation they are in now. Folding her arms across her chest and let out a small sigh.

When Wei spoke, Crymaria couldn't help but feel like the response was a cough out. From what she had seen they were a thriving city, that just sent some of its people to help the elves. So she didn't entirely believe the part about the lack of resources at hand prior to all of this happening. As for the curious mind, well she didn't know if she fully believed that either, but there was a task at hand and someone was going to have to do it. Though she wished they would have had more accurate information than just estimates and stories.

Though for the moment, it looked like her and Comrade Boris would have to take note while keeping an eye on the frogs when they get too close. Though she wasn't against fighting one just to get a corpse for the bearkin to study. But for the time being she wasn't going to go out and look for a fight with the frogs unless they got close.

Wei waited a moment to see if any other comments or questions would be made. None came.

"Moving on. You'll each be assigned to one of us hunters to make scouting pairs. Priest you will simply be on call if we need you. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. We already have teams prepared to cover tonight's shifts, so your watches will start tomorrow morning at dawn. Last call for questions, comments, or concerns."

Mhu'ati raised her hand.

"I know your work is dangerous, but if an opportunity presents itself, I would not mind having samples of these frog creatures. Some of their saliva, their tongues, or pieces of their flesh would be good for me to study." she said smiling at Crymaria. "You are a smart woman to suggest studying them, so I will help you if I am able.

Wei cleared his throat.

"If the adventurers wish to help with that, fine. As I said, we are not risking bearkin lives for those objectives. I would insist that any attempts to study the frogs or acquire these samples be taken after the frogs begin moving away from Kruhrin. Anything else?" No further comments were made. "In that case, let's all get that meal we were talking about earlier. Eat well and rest up. Dismissed."

-----
Caves

To see in the upper two levels, one would need to climb up there via the ladders provided or the stairs hewn into the cliff face.

A shiver ran up the anuran's spine as he noticed the blue glow of Levia's magic. His arms raised in front of him in a shielding posture as he cowered at her threats.

"I-I suppose I did...leave a few things back there...better go collect them...." he said unable to refuse their demands.

Shuffling along the terrace and descending down to the second level from which they had come, the anuran pulled the tarp aside but stopped, surprised by something. Taking a few steps into the cave, he turned to call back to the girls, "You two playing games?"

Upon the pair entering the cave, they would see what he meant: the entire cauldron had disappeared, the fire beneath extinguished. On the floor of the cave, a single pair of footprints could be seen passing through the concoction splattered on the floor and leading up to the where the cauldron had sat. The trail then led back to the door where they inexplicably disappeared. A handful of black feathers blew into various corners of the room, but with the animal carcasses on the counter, they might be overlooked by most as just another "decoration" left by the tenant.

-----

Word of these events would reach the remaining council members as well as the hunters, as the wolven, who were discovered unconscious in their cave below that of the anuran, would be taken to the town hall for medical attention. Their arrival would occur around the time the hunters' meeting concluded. Upon hearing word of the sickly wolven, Lady Bao would conclude her meeting with Sifu Akim and tend to them. The latter would take his leave with Daichi and Hathaway, assuming they were ready and still willing. They would begin the long hike back to the monastery.

Upon arriving at the monastery, Sifu Akim's demeanor changed. His leniency and humor up til then seemed to be all but gone. Daichi was visibly tense as though expecting something. Leading the pair into a sparring room, Akim suddenly rounded on Daichi, who guarded too late to intercept the blow. He was knocked out with a single kick to the side of the face. Turning to Hathaway, Akim locked eyes with the priest. "Your first lesson, young Hathaway, shall be your most important: pain. You must willfully accept a blow from me. It will be painful, but you must not heal it. You may find yourself drifting into whatever levels of hell you believe in. However, should you endure it to the morning, you will be stronger for it. How you deal with this lesson will determine whether you persist in my dojo or not."

Levia and Joanne would be questioned about the events. Their intervention of the anuran was appreciated. If they didn't already have one, a room at the tavern was provided or their fee reimbursed. Wei, the lead hunter, would ask both ladies if they would like to help with the scouting mission the next day. Details would be provided if they were willing to participate.

Status

Isekai Hell Grade

Rewards:

Ciu'nan- 81 Points
Acquired Optional Title- [Hopeful Investigator] - This character has taken part in looking into a matter where a crime potentially was committed. However, the result was inconclusive but they now have the experience for what to look for in a matter next time.

Crymaria- 39 Points
Acquired Optional Title- [Hopeful Investigator] - This character has taken part in looking into a matter where a crime potentially was committed. However, the result was inconclusive but they now have the experience for what to look for in a matter next time.

Hathaway- 42 Points

Joanne- 19 Points

Levia - 46 Points

Mentions: Scarletti Scarletti saxon saxon RavenSong RavenSong Clyvelle Clyvelle Kenju Law Kenju Law Novama Novama

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back