Is it me or... is rping getting predictable and dull?

No it hasn't, it just sounds like you haven't found the partner you are looking for and you assume everyone out of all the members on the site is the same. Yeah, ideas might be the same but there are people on here who I'm sure are looking for something new, refreshing just like you. You have to be willing to find them.

What you might also need is a break from roleplaying for a while. Maybe try writing on your own a bit then come back to it another time. When you are not finding what you're looking for sometimes you just need to take a step back. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No new ideas, eh?

Even Shakespeare stole ideas from other stories and practically plagiarized Greek playwrights. 

Without knowing your RP style and the folks who are contacting you or vice versa, however, I can't be of any help. 

Just keep searching, ask for writing samples up front, and be willing to be flexible without compromising to the point you're having no fun. 

RPers on this site are still a hell of a lot better than on other sites I've seen. 

If you have a search thread of your own, consider rewriting it. Maybe it needs to be clearer or more concise. 

-Walks in-

-Suffocates due to the amount of arrogance-

-Walks out-

*narrows eyes* Stonewolf18.... that cant possibly be you is it? Damn been a while. Nice to see you still lurking about the place, even if it is to give negative comments.

Anywho I never meant for this to be a hash on other people or a place to bemoan about the failings of other rpers, theres no arrogance here just plain truth. I have more skill in writing than some and others have way more skill than I do and I envy them that.
Some people have a point there i a new influx of rpers who dont have much experience and whilst I do like helping them out and watching people grow as with the case of my good friend Bobisdead123 who was a total scrub when I first met him but has become a pretty legit rper, most of the population nowadays on rpn just looses interest to quickly in a role play. 

Another note, the purpose of this wasnt to find a role play or to make one to suite me. I was simply asking if anyone else just found that role playing was becoming dull and predictable? I'm just seeing more of the same stuff over and over again, be it from characters to the rps themselves. Then, with like minded individuals we could come together and perhaps find the cause to this problem and from there a solution to the predicament we would find ourselves in. 

If I came off any other way, arrogant or searching an rp then I apologize for not being clearer and now let the record be set straight.

Is it just me or... has rping just become so... dull and predictable? I mean, I dont see any truly new or original rp idea's any more on this site and If I do they die so quickly. When I do try to get stuck into an rp its just so boring and dull to look at the characters people make because I've seen their like a thousand times and I can almost immediately predict what that persons going to do. 

Are you excluding yourself from this criticism, or including?

I... unfortunately agree. 

The only advice I can offer is to direct you to Tamriel Foundry, and the TF Roleplayers subforum. We're a small, tight-knit group of RPers that have been at it for years. We're constantly crafting new, original, and detailed RPs which last for very lengthy periods; and use characters which are fully fleshed out and rich in history and personality. It's shrunk to about 5 regulars now, and we recently had a new one join.

The only downside is that whilst each roleplay is unique, it is an Elder Scrolls site, and thus all are set in that universe. All of the best roleplays I've ever partaken in are on that site, including A Waltz of the Illustrious, Captain Arenthia, Open RP (first ever RP I was in), and A Throne in the Ruins (which unfortunately was never finished as we lost a few RPers that season).

It's a fantastic site, even if only for Elder Scrolls.

I... unfortunately agree. 

The only advice I can offer is to direct you to Tamriel Foundry, and the TF Roleplayers subforum. We're a small, tight-knit group of RPers that have been at it for years. We're constantly crafting new, original, and detailed RPs which last for very lengthy periods; and use characters which are fully fleshed out and rich in history and personality. It's shrunk to about 5 regulars now, and we recently had a new one join.

The only downside is that whilst each roleplay is unique, it is an Elder Scrolls site, and thus all are set in that universe. All of the best roleplays I've ever partaken in are on that site, including A Waltz of the Illustrious, Captain Arenthia, Open RP (first ever RP I was in), and A Throne in the Ruins (which unfortunately was never finished as we lost a few RPers that season).

It's a fantastic site, even if only for Elder Scrolls.

Thanks but no thanks. I appreciate the games and love Skyrim and Morrowind but avoid anything relating to large scale popular video games, book, anime, based rps. Bad past experiences which might not be fair enough reason to avoid them if I dont see the same things in them which brings us back to the ACTUAL point of this discussion. 
No offense to you and yours, im sure there are some epic moments and rps but such a environment is not for me.

Are you excluding yourself from this criticism, or including?

As of late, viewing myself from an outsider perspective perhaps I have been repetitive as I have been using the same character in multiple rps (which have subsequently failed) but its only for the reasoning that I am testing out a character Idea and have had precious little actual data and experience to determine whether or not the idea is a failure or is simply still in need of tweaking. Soon my glorious Serai'Drakhoul, The Lady of Ravens, Galumora. We will find you an rp worthy of you. 
But on an overall? Excluding. 

I ask because I suspected projection.  It's possible you've grown bored of your own creative habits and have incorrectly diagnosed your frustration as a failing of the community/site.   

Somewhat like writer's block???

Honestly, I love me some good writing but when I come on here I'm tired af and just want to unwind with some dumb romance-y RPs with predictable characters. Some may see this as an art form but for me it's just an escape.

I ask because I suspected projection.  It's possible you've grown bored of your own creative habits and have incorrectly diagnosed your frustration as a failing of the community/site.   

Now theres an Idea and entirely possible. It could be that perhaps I've spent to long trying to get my Dredge to work and stick, that the fantasy rps I join in are all along the same lines and perhaps I need to broaden my horizons a bit. If this is the case, of which I will have to delve into places i'd rather not venture, then I might need to experiment a bit with rps. 

Thank you for bringing this possibility to light, and my apologies for thinking less of you earlier when you first posted but I incorrectly assumed you were just here to tell me off.  I will definitely keep it in mind.

Honestly, I love me some good writing but when I come on here I'm tired af and just want to unwind with some dumb romance-y RPs with predictable characters. Some may see this as an art form but for me it's just an escape.

Gotta admit I've tried those myself when things were looking dark or in need for some hilarity. Romance and the more sensitive stuff are one area of character interactions and rping that I will admit I have faults in and need a bit more practice. Most of my characters are loners but I've a few that I like for anything more involved.
Oh make no mistake I love tragedies  and appreciate the motivational/pushing power of love in a characters goals and or psyche make up. Got a couple of buddies who simply refer to me as Evil or Sly Bastard because I have a habit of killing their favorite characters off, and by favorite characters I mean mine that they've come to adore. 

*shrugs* Happy endings were something I never really got into, no one remembers happy endings. History teaches us that, Romeo and Juliet, every Greek and mythological tale EVER but specifically the Greeks, etc etc. 

(sits here and re-reads post and realizes that it was complete garbage and all over the place but is too tired to actually re-write it)

Now theres an Idea and entirely possible. It could be that perhaps I've spent to long trying to get my Dredge to work and stick, that the fantasy rps I join in are all along the same lines and perhaps I need to broaden my horizons a bit. If this is the case, of which I will have to delve into places i'd rather not venture, then I might need to experiment a bit with rps. 

You might also want to reevaluate your reluctance to create roleplays.  What better way to satisfy your imaginative hunger than to draw up the very worlds and adventures of your dreams?  

You might also want to reevaluate your reluctance to create roleplays.  What better way to satisfy your imaginative hunger than to draw up the very worlds and adventures of your dreams?  

Fear of Failure perhaps, or the fact that I do not want to go through all that work to simply watch it all die. Which are one and the same really.

Fear of Failure perhaps, or the fact that I do not want to go through all that work to simply watch it all die. Which are one and the same really.

The higher up the creative ladder you climb the more risk you'll take, but the payoff is also greater.  Fortune favors the bold.

I wonder how many other members have your mindset: Folks who believe (and even express) that they've developed above average creative potential, but they never put out their own roleplays for fear of failure?  Here's hoping you (and those like you) appreciate every interest check and launched roleplay—successful or not.  

On 11/13/2016 at 8:02 PM, Jarkov Malachai said:

Is it just me or... has rping just become so... dull and predictable? I mean, I don't see any truly new or original rp idea's anymore on this site and If I do they die so quickly. When I do try to get stuck into a rp it's just so boring and dull to look at the characters people make because I've seen they're like a thousand times and I can almost immediately predict what that person going to do. 

The only rps that seem to thrive are those accursed fandom rps or school/supernatural rps that make me want to gag and tear my eyes out. (no offense to those who like them it's just for me I'd rather be castrated than be involved in one.)

Maybe the reason for that is because of its common ground and a place where people can find a shared like in something and relate to it? Maybe I've just rapped for so long amongst so many fields, avenues, and directions that I've simply seen it all? Maybe my taste in for a role play is too exotic or complicated for the majority on this site, mayhaps I've set my standards too high.... I just... don't know. I don't want any of those things to be true but aside from a few rare exceptions, I feel as if I'm slogging through a frozen field, snow up to my Thighs and no end in sight.

Anyone else? Any idea's?

Erm, well, I have a rp going right now that I think is quite original. I could give you the link, if you're interested.

The higher up the creative ladder you climb the more risk you'll take, but the payoff is also greater.  Fortune favors the bold.

I wonder how many other members have your mindset: Folks who believe (and even express) that they've developed above average creative potential, but they never put out their own roleplays for fear of failure?  Here's hoping you (and those like you) appreciate every interest check and launched roleplay—successful or not.  

It has, and then it has not. History proves its shits never quite so cut and dry as Fortune favors the bold. True the payoff is greater but the average Joe just gets burned. 

But its not so much that I believe I've got above average creative potential and my apologies for letting it become a shit show of who knew the worst or comparison crap. Just that I'm tired of seeing the same trends in the little area's I excel in and those that I acknowledge I just straight suck ass in (for me, its trying to keep my mind in the character/staying in character).  Could just be like you said I need to broaden my horizons and check new things out. Put my own work out there but its just not worth it. The return yield isnt great enough to bother really. 

Erm, well, I have a rp going right now that I think is quite original. I could give you the link, if you're interested.

Sure, hit me up if need be im always interested in checking stuff out whislt I sit here in the darkness reading this stephen king and frantically turning on all my lights. Fuck It. I hated the movie but the books just plain worse cause my imaginations is like.

Sleep? Naaaaaaaaaw Bitch you aint gettin any tonight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back