Is it me or... is rping getting predictable and dull?

Jarkov Malachai

A simple Traveler, consumed by Wanderlust.
Is it just me or... has rping just become so... dull and predictable? I mean, I dont see any truly new or original rp idea's any more on this site and If I do they die so quickly. When I do try to get stuck into an rp its just so boring and dull to look at the characters people make because I've seen their like a thousand times and I can almost immediately predict what that persons going to do. 

The only rps that seem to thrive are those accursed fandom rps or school/supernatural rps that make me want to gag and tear my eyes out. (no offense to those who like them its just for me I'd rather be castrated than be involved in one.)

Maybe the reason for that is because its common ground and a place where people can find a shared like in something and relate to it? Maybe I've just rped for so long amongst so many fields, avenues, and directions that I've simply seen it all? Maybe my taste in for a role play is too exotic or complicated for the majority on this site, mayhaps i've set my standards to high.... I just... dont know. I dont want any of those things to be true but aside from a few rare exceptions I feel as if im slogging through a frozen field, snow up to my Thighs and no end in sight.

Any one else? Any Idea's?

You have high standards like myself. It took me a long while to figure out what my preferences are. If you're advanced at roleplaying finding a partner or a roleplay is going to be REALLY difficult. You might as well make your own or keep your eyes peeled for people with 5+ years of experience. I've always been able to pull a new plot from the air, doesn't mean it'll stick. I've accepted that most rps will fail but you'll always find a gem in the middle of all this soot. 

Perhaps the problem is that I try to keep most rps alive that I join, I know that most will fail but I nevertheless plan out all sorts of cool things and spend way to much time on my characters and posts for responses that are maybe 2 paragraphs long and then they just vanish off into the great beyond. Like you said most rps fail miserably but I dont think that after some 8 years I've quite accepted that fact. I still try to make everyone the best I can and burn myself out in the process. I dont know, this is just me musing and babbling in the dark.

Perhaps the problem is that I try to keep most rps alive that I join, I know that most will fail but I nevertheless plan out all sorts of cool things and spend way to much time on my characters and posts for responses that are maybe 2 paragraphs long and then they just vanish off into the great beyond. Like you said most rps fail miserably but I dont think that after some 8 years I've quite accepted that fact. I still try to make everyone the best I can and burn myself out in the process. I dont know, this is just me musing and babbling in the dark.

It's a hard pill to swallow especially if you're an intense roleplayer. 

None of us like our works to die down, especially when we get excited by it. I understand where you're coming from though. There have been countless times where I've even met the PERFECT partner but they STILL fell off the face of my planet. 

It's a hard pill to swallow especially if you're an intense roleplayer. 

None of us like our works to die down, especially when we get excited by it. I understand where you're coming from though. There have been countless times where I've even met the PERFECT partner but they STILL fell off the face of my planet. 

The struggle bus of we few rpers of Oriantar, travel near and far but to no avail. I try to keep a conversation in the OOC to bind those in the rp together. Those I have found last the longest when you have a lasting reason to stick around for the other people in it aside from the role play itself.

AoC and GitM are my fave examples on this site. We have a Pm of almost 9,000 replies total even though the actual rp only had like 400 and took us a year to get there. It died recently, perhaps another reason for my rp depression. But I get where you are coming from, rping when done intensely and with heart, can be crushing when all the time and thought you put into it dies. 

The struggle bus of we few rpers of Oriantar, travel near and far but to no avail. I try to keep a conversation in the OOC to bind those in the rp together. Those I have found last the longest when you have a lasting reason to stick around for the other people in it aside from the role play itself.

AoC and GitM are my fave examples on this site. We have a Pm of almost 9,000 replies total even though the actual rp only had like 400 and took us a year to get there. It died recently, perhaps another reason for my rp depression. But I get where you are coming from, rping when done intensely and with heart, can be crushing when all the time and thought you put into it dies. 

You said it way better than I ever could. 

Getting depressed about an rp dying is pretty common though. Happens to me often, 

You said it way better than I ever could. 

Getting depressed about an rp dying is pretty common though. Happens to me often, 

Yes and then the Struggle bus of trying to find another begins and for one with such high standards as I it is most frustrating. 

I'd start an rp myself but I dont think I could put all that work in it and have people who are most likely in no way shape or form ready for the type of Rp that I would create drop out so soon before anything actually would begin. 

Yes and then the Struggle bus of trying to find another begins and for one with such high standards as I it is most frustrating. 

I'd start an rp myself but I dont think I could put all that work in it and have people who are most likely in no way shape or form ready for the type of Rp that I would create drop out so soon before anything actually would begin. 

Yeah I've only ever tried to create a group rp once. I dropped it immediately because I couldn't handle the amount of inexperienced CS's I was handed. 

Yeah I've only ever tried to create a group rp once. I dropped it immediately because I couldn't handle the amount of inexperienced CS's I was handed. 

*groans in despair* Oh you understand my suffering. 
My idea of a good CS is about 2 or 3 pages of backstory, personality and etc. I usually, when certain that the rp in question is going to last longer than a week, will put in 4 or 5 if excited and I think the largest I've ever done CS wise was for the Serai'Drakhoul alien race and that was like 30 pages of shit. 

So when I see a giant anime picture and then maybe a paragraph for name, gender, personality and the words he likes and he hates written more times than 5 I cringe inwardly. Or the stereotypes which are so obvious that I again cringe, now im not above stereotypes for they do have their purpose but... only if used with tact know what I mean.

*groans in despair* Oh you understand my suffering. 
My idea of a good CS is about 2 or 3 pages of backstory, personality and etc. I usually, when certain that the rp in question is going to last longer than a week, will put in 4 or 5 if excited and I think the largest I've ever done CS wise was for the Serai'Drakhoul alien race and that was like 30 pages of shit. 

So when I see a giant anime picture and then maybe a paragraph for name, gender, personality and the words he likes and he hates written more times than 5 I cringe inwardly. Or the stereotypes which are so obvious that I again cringe, now im not above stereotypes for they do have their purpose but... only if used with tact know what I mean.

Oh man I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm not a huge fan of stereotypes in characters or predictable archetypes but if it's done correctly it could actually be kinda fun.  I had a friend who wanted to be a necromancer, and I was like "Alright he's going to be a bard"

Motherfucker was a bard

BUT

He plugged his guitar into a shrunken head that would scream at the top of its lungs. It was so cool xD

Oh man I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm not a huge fan of stereotypes in characters or predictable archetypes but if it's done correctly it could actually be kinda fun.  I had a friend who wanted to be a necromancer, and I was like "Alright he's going to be a bard"

Motherfucker was a bard

BUT

He plugged his guitar into a shrunken head that would scream at the top of its lungs. It was so cool xD

Better than a friend of mine, he was a Minotaur bard. # Failed Character concept. Moo Moo motherfucker, *gores the audience* 

Gotta admit though that sounds pretty legit. I generally judge people by the vocabulary they use in their CS's. I dont focus to much on the occasional grammar error since I know we all do it or were taught differently. Going back to the vocabulary, I checked out a Nation Building Rp once set in space and almost died when I saw the words 'Super Mega Carrier' in one mans CS. Actually died when I saw that he had a 'Ultimate Mega Cannon' below that in his military.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better than a friend of mine, he was a Minotaur bard. # Failed Character concept. Moo Moo motherfucker, *gores the audience* 

Gotta admit though that sounds pretty legit. I generally judge people by the vocabulary they use in their CS's. I dont focus to much on the occasional grammar error since I know we all do it or were taught differently. Going back to the vocabulary, I checked out a Nation Building Rp once set in space and almost died when I saw the words 'Super Mega Carrier' in one mans CS. Actually died when I saw that he had a 'Ultimate Mega Cannon' below that in his military.

Ultra Mega Cannon ACTIVATE *zoomz*

That just... tickles me. 

It tickles me right in the funny-bone. God there are so many players that make me cringe so hard that I feel it in my teeth. 

Ultra Mega Cannon ACTIVATE *zoomz*

That just... tickles me. 

It tickles me right in the funny-bone. God there are so many players that make me cringe so hard that I feel it in my teeth. 

There are, but Im pretty sure that when we started out that we were just as bad and looking back at some of my earliest material I do have to cringe at myself. 

It still doesnt make it any less bad but you can get where they are coming from if they have not really rped before. When I see a profile with some 8,000 posts and that shit is coming from them I just sliiiiiiiiiide away.

One thing I've come to accept is this simple fact, people tend to be lazy and don't want to put much thought into the story they are about to enter. It makes me rather sad that they don't, especially if I've tried starting up an RP and I've made a rather nice, detailed introduction to the story and the plot.

I've had a person on a different site tell me that they weren't going to read the information that I wrote and to dumb it down for them...talk about wanting to tell them to shove it were the sun don't shine.

One thing I've come to accept is this simple fact, people tend to be lazy and don't want to put much thought into the story they are about to enter. It makes me rather sad that they don't, especially if I've tried starting up an RP and I've made a rather nice, detailed introduction to the story and the plot.

I've had a person on a different site tell me that they weren't going to read the information that I wrote and to dumb it down for them...talk about wanting to tell them to shove it were the sun don't shine.

^^^ SCREW ALL OF THAT SHIT

I usually always create interesting plots for RP's, but when I can't and the other person...doesn't either its just bleh.

There are, but Im pretty sure that when we started out that we were just as bad and looking back at some of my earliest material I do have to cringe at myself. 

It still doesnt make it any less bad but you can get where they are coming from if they have not really rped before. When I see a profile with some 8,000 posts and that shit is coming from them I just sliiiiiiiiiide away.

Maybe we should try and drum something up sometime. o:

Dummbing it down for a clearly inexperienced roleplayer. Ugh.

Yeah, no kidding when they told me that I about snapped. I love writing and if I can share that love of writing with someone else to form an awesome story I'll do so gladly. The way I see it is if you take your time to write out a back story, a plot, and all of that jazz and someone doesn't want to take the time to read it all. Then clearly they aren't worth joining the RP.

Oh, man, don't even get me started. On another site I have to lower my standards so people will actually join my RPs. I understand that some people are still blooming and may not have any idea of quality content, but good Christ, at least try.

Oh, and another thing: On this same site I saw someone from my advanced RP (as advanced as it gets there, anyway) post a ONE-LINER. The betrayal hurts.

Oh, man, don't even get me started. On another site I have to lower my standards so people will actually join my RPs. I understand that some people are still blooming and may not have any idea of quality content, but good Christ, at least try.

Oh, and another thing: On this same site I saw someone from my advanced RP (as advanced as it gets there, anyway) post a ONE-LINER. The betrayal hurts.

Yeah, but sometimes even I end up doing one liners whether I want to or not. Normally it's either because I'm in an RP that is full of people who don't want to do more detailed posts and by the time I go to post mine there has been about 10 other posts....talk about irritating. Other times, would be the other part of me when honestly my brain isn't working and I really should stop writing but I don't know what else to do.

(Also sorry had to change the writing I accidentally got caught in the quote box  O.o )

I tend to agree with you.  I keep seeing the same ideas, and pairings, over and over again.   Hence, I keep to one x one roleplaying nowadays.  It's easier to find people who share your standards.  I've taken on the assumption that the reason behind this phenomenon is the constant inflow of new and subsequently less experienced writers whom have to go through the evolution towards better writing.  Some do it quickly, others not so much.  Along with their writing skill, most of the younger members base themselves off of existing works in various media formats, which of course contain all the stereotypical tropes.  

Smells like a bunch of smoke and cynicism to me. I just go with the flow. If it doesn't work out? Move onto the next thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back