Advice/Help Invisible on sites

Rareraven

I like to rp fandoms.
Hi, I’m on two other sites and having the most hardest time getting people’s attention or lack there of.

I rp fandoms, Naruto, Harry Potter etc. no one seemed to notice my threads or even drop me a message. School is out and I’m feeling like I’m nothing! Everyone else who has oc rps must have TONS of people messaging them! I may be ranting here but I don’t like feeling like I’m nothing.

Have you considered that maybe your search threads are not well structured or appealing? Try looking through other threads and picking up the gist of what yours should look like. In essence, here are some of my tips:

1. Make sure your thread is concise and easily readable. Cramming all rules and preferences in one paragraph makes it harder for a potential partner to read it. Divide it into sections, such as introduction (some info about you), preferences (RP style and themes or fandoms) and rules(ex: no godmodding, minimum of two paragraphs, etc.)

2. Grammar check your thread. Text speech and occasional grammar mistakes are usually fine in PMs (if your partner is alright with those, as well), but in search threads, they may translate to lack of interest and/or effort. This includes structuring your sentences properly (using commas and periods).

3. Consider bumping your thread every now and then. Bumping pushes your thread to the top of the search list and increases your visibility. You shouldn’t bump more than twice a day, though. That can be considered spamming.

You could also resort to responding to other search threads (I’ve seen hundreds looking for Naruto or HP roleplays!) and finding a partner that way. Don’t forget to be nice and express what you want in a clear but polite way.

Last edited:
Hi, I’m on two other sites and having the most hardest time getting people’s attention or lack there of.

I rp fandoms, Naruto, Harry Potter etc. no one seemed to notice my threads or even drop me a message. School is out and I’m feeling like I’m nothing! Everyone else who has oc rps must have TONS of people messaging them! I may be ranting here but I don’t like feeling like I’m nothing.
I'm sorry you are feeling like that, you should have a good time being part of a community. I think first, in spite of everything, you should try to get out of feeling like you are nothing. I don't know you but I don't think that's true. Feelings of negativity ultimately affect you moving forward. Once you feel better realize that just because you haven't garnered interest yet doesn't mean it won't happen. There are a ton of people on different communities waiting to find the right partner to write with.

Now with that said, don't just let your request thread do the work for you. You have to approach people too but having a kick ass RT helps as well :) when I do a RT I like to think what I'm trying to tell people. I'll include plot ideas and pairings something to make it stand out. I think I even put in a couple of starters too. I'm not saying you need to do the same but having a concise rt can help and even approaching people that like to do fandoms as you. Don't wait for people to come to you, go to them if you have to.

I do hope it works out for you though.

I've read your latest ad, and I can immediately see what's the problem. It's so very brief, no one gets an idea what you want.

At least that's what most will tell you.

But look, what's in reality... *leans down to whisper* This might be cynical to the bone, but you need to make a candy of your ad. Like, the ad "I want to RP MxM Draco x Harry" if pretty much enough to go on from, but that's not what people want! They want to see you're a good writer, and that you're serious. So try adding a bit about yourself, a bit about what you're looking in a partner, a bit about what you can provide. Try to format it - even if minimalistic, with just bold text highlighting important parts, or (un)numbered lists. Like, for instance, one of my most popular ads looks like this, and it covers just a few points, doesn't look that good, but it shows minimal effort put to it. And here be my most popular one. This small experience with different ad types taught me that people are attracted to pretty, and shiny. And they want to see more than just a few lines of text. They see few lines of text - they think this is how you play: via one-liners. And little to no people want that - they want at least a paragraph. So your job here, is to show them that you can write good posts, as well as you care enough to make your ad pretty on the eye.

A good way to go here is to write something like this.

[say hello and tell them who you are - recently age is important in RPs]
[what fandom are you looking for]
[what pairings do you like, what do you accept; add what role you'd like to take]
[come up with a few ideas for the main plot, add if you're set on them or are willing to brainstorm]
[tell how often can you post, how big your posts are]
[tell us about any NOs you might ave in a game]
[tell us your ideal partner]

Everyone else who has oc rps must have TONS of people messaging them!

That’s one hell of an assumption to make.

Let’s start by checking the requirements for someone to want to respond to you:
*They must like (and therefore have seen, read or played) the fandom idea you’re interested in (I’ll exclude original ideas in this list , since by what you said you focus on fandom)

*If your interest check involves cannon characters that has extra implications regarding them liking the specific characters and/or pairings involved. Furthermore, different communities will have different expectations and ratios regarding the use of cannon and oc characters in fandoms (you’re more likely to encounter cannons on sites dedicated to a cannon or medium , whereas in RPN for instance most are focused on OCs)

*It must be an available time for them (while school may be over for you, one has to keep in mind many people are in different parts of the world and stages of life, so the odds of someone matching your exact schedule/timing are actually a lot lower than the opposite. I for instance am just starting my exam season.)

*They must see your interest check and take interest in it

*They must like the interest check, including your requirements, how you present yourself, and ideas you offer.

*You must fit their tastes better than other currently available options

Fandom roleplays naturally have such a bundle of issues. I don’t know if this will make you feel any better, but it’s essentially not that you are in any way “nothing” as much as it isn’t a “you” matter, at all, until you make it become that.

The important part to retain therefore is that none of it is personal. If the availability is there, you have the opportunity to attract it to yourself, be it by hunting it down and/or by making yourself a more attractive option (genuinely of course). Others do not have a leg up on you nor are they having “a ton of replies” while you’re left in the dust. Any that do have replies have worked to earn them.

Edit: Kevin’s post made me post this before I was finished through a misclick. Sorry if this causes anyone to read what I said prematurely.

😭seems like being myself gets me no one to rp with.....
That’s incorrect. You can be yourself and get people to RP. But you need to actually sell those good points. People aren’t mind readers, and anyone who is even remotely able to read into things enough to figure out details about the writer will of course value stuff actually being written in an attempt to appeal.

It’s not about lying or being untrue to oneself, it’s about making oneself and one’s good points as a potential partner stand out, rather than relying exclusively on factors were you are either one in a million (meaning there are better choices) or entirely alone (meaning no one actually is interested in the idea in the first place).

PS: that is not to say compromise and putting in the effort of searching for things yourself are not an important factor too- but if those things are considered untrue to yourself, you’re up to having a very rough time in every part of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back