• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Invicta Civitates OOC

Rusty of Shackleford

Ten Thousand Club

"Humanity stands as it always has. Unbroken. Unbeaten. Invincible."
-High Imperator James Harrison addressing the Consulate after the ratification of the Republic

Welcome to the OOC! Feel free to ask questions about the setting and provide ideas!​

So does this Hawking-Einstein drive make ships faster than light? How long would it take to get from say, Earth, to the Outer Colonies?

So does this Hawking-Einstein drive make ships faster than light? How long would it take to get from say, Earth, to the Outer Colonies?
The Hawkins-Einstein drive sort of...okay, imagine space as a carpet. And planets are objects on a carpet. A Hawkins-Einstein drive, instead of making you walk across the carpet, instead pulls the carpet closer to you alongside the object on the other side. In essence, it creates a bunnle where space moves through it instead of the ship itself moving. It's complicated buy that's the jist. The speed depends on the drive in particular. The ones being used during the golden age if humanity's expansion were much faster, so it would take maybe a year or so to get from Earth to the Outer Colonies. But now, it could take much longer, upwards of a few years due to the technological dark age

The Hawkins-Einstein drive sort of...okay, imagine space as a carpet. And planets are objects on a carpet. A Hawkins-Einstein drive, instead of making you walk across the carpet, instead pulls the carpet closer to you alongside the object on the other side. In essence, it creates a bunnle where space moves through it instead of the ship itself moving. It's complicated buy that's the jist. The speed depends on the drive in particular. The ones being used during the golden age if humanity's expansion were much faster, so it would take maybe a year or so to get from Earth to the Outer Colonies. But now, it could take much longer, upwards of a few years due to the technological dark age

So it's an alcubierre type drive, where it latches onto the space around the ship and moves that artificially constrained and leashed spatial bubble compared to the rest of space, dragging along the specific ship in question for the ride to the designated trajectory?

Generally, it's presumed that these types of drives have very important caveats, such as the 'excess energy' and 'energy bubble' problems. Not to mention, in real life the highest hypothetical efficiency still requires, just to propel a spaceship perhaps the size of a football, a tank of gasoline the size of jupiter. Afterwards, the bubble of warped space will be so hot as to be comparable to a condensed supernova, and when the bubble of space is deposited to the location the energy is released roughly where you're going (probably destroying the planet you're trying to visit, or wherever else)

Of course, due to FTL and space opera going together like peanut butter and chocolate, we can hand-wave all of this away. Maybe the special mechanism that artificially warps space can initiate with a far lower energy content, and at the periphery of the bubble the heat gets recycled back into usable energy somehow (or is made otherwise useful in perpetuating the warp bubble)

Though this does bring to mind an alternative solution related to a question I have...

So, how exactly is Earth and the other ancestral homelands, so seperated from the other colonies that now make up the GRUS? if our FTL is literally 'point and shoot' that'd severely disparage the idea that going back to the homelands isn't very navigable. A concept I've wanted to use myself is that maybe FTL has to harvest 'gravitational tears' and those are only so common and only point to certain other stars in a radius around a certain star. More or less, areas of space with funny inter-stellar (as in literally star-to-star) gravitational anomalies that allow for the practical FTL travel. Of course, more dangerous 'gravitational tears' are available but they're harder to find and, of course, more dangerous, but allow spaceships to drop in closer and invade things.

And, of course, some kind of mechanism natural or artificial has torn Earth's safe FTL navigable zones away from the rest of the galaxy.

Maybe the Invaders' initial advantage could also be explained by their better understanding of these anomalies?

So it's an alcubierre type drive, where it latches onto the space around the ship and moves that artificially constrained and leashed spatial bubble compared to the rest of space, dragging along the specific ship in question for the ride to the designated trajectory?

Generally, it's presumed that these types of drives have very important caveats, such as the 'excess energy' and 'energy bubble' problems. Not to mention, in real life the highest hypothetical efficiency still requires, just to propel a spaceship perhaps the size of a football, a tank of gasoline the size of jupiter. Afterwards, the bubble of warped space will be so hot as to be comparable to a condensed supernova, and when the bubble of space is deposited to the location the energy is released roughly where you're going (probably destroying the planet you're trying to visit, or wherever else)

Of course, due to FTL and space opera going together like peanut butter and chocolate, we can hand-wave all of this away. Maybe the special mechanism that artificially warps space can initiate with a far lower energy content, and at the periphery of the bubble the heat gets recycled back into usable energy somehow (or is made otherwise useful in perpetuating the warp bubble)

Though this does bring to mind an alternative solution related to a question I have...

So, how exactly is Earth and the other ancestral homelands, so seperated from the other colonies that now make up the GRUS? if our FTL is literally 'point and shoot' that'd severely disparage the idea that going back to the homelands isn't very navigable. A concept I've wanted to use myself is that maybe FTL has to harvest 'gravitational tears' and those are only so common and only point to certain other stars in a radius around a certain star. More or less, areas of space with funny inter-stellar (as in literally star-to-star) gravitational anomalies that allow for the practical FTL travel. Of course, more dangerous 'gravitational tears' are available but they're harder to find and, of course, more dangerous, but allow spaceships to drop in closer and invade things.

And, of course, some kind of mechanism natural or artificial has torn Earth's safe FTL navigable zones away from the rest of the galaxy.

Maybe the Invaders' initial advantage could also be explained by their better understanding of these anomalies?
That's actually a good idea! Humanity initially explored the galaxy by first sending probes that sort of marked these tethers, then used them to travel to stars in sequence. After the Magna Finis, these tethers just went dark, meaning that the process would need to be repeated, because using warp to just go to where they know Earth is could have all manner of issues.

We can just say they were able to find ways to get around the alcubierre drive's issues, but one of the caveats is the gravity tethers. Sort of like in Star Wars where technically you could do a blind jump, but it's generally a bad idea. Could lead to you getting trapped in a gravity well or inside the core of a dying sun and crushed in microseconds.

Hey, Hey People, Sseth Pleb here. Rusty, can you give me a run-down of the special forces division(s)/special operations command? What's it like, their duties, and etc etc. You don't need to go too in-depth, just enough for me to get a feel.

Last edited:
How come the outer colonies went backwards with technology? Is it simply because they advanced at a slower rate than the colonies closer to Earth?

How come the outer colonies went backwards with technology? Is it simply because they advanced at a slower rate than the colonies closer to Earth?
Not GM, but I can see it that way. Imagine transporting scientists, engineers, social workers, etc etc, taking a year to get there and back (if it ever came to that.), most people probably wouldn't want to go. Plus there is a potential to stigmatise the outer colonies from the inner, treating it like how Cityfolk act towards Countryfolk and vice versa. Inner Colonites treating Outer Colonites as if they were uneducated rabbles while Outer would treat them as lazy bums.

Hey, Hey People, Sseth Pleb here. Rusty, can you give me a run-down of the special forces division(s)/special operations command? What's it like, their duties, and etc etc. You don't need to go too in-depth, just enough for me to get a feel.
I actually have nothing on that! I have two options just briefly considering it.

One, each Consul has access to their own special forces at their whim. This would mean they all basically have assassins at their beck and call, but brings up why they haven't just started a coup yet or always assassinate rivals. The most likely answer, on the other hand, is that the special forces is specifically under command of the High Imperator. If a Consul needs them for a mission, it has to be approved to prevent foul play.

And yes what Pleb said. It was more that the tech in the Outer Colonies was less advanced and sort of old compared to everywhere else. The colonies themselves were scouted by top of the line ships, but they were probably just given older ones once everything was set up. Plus there was a brief period of conflict following the Great Fall, where everyone was panicking and trying to get control of the situation

Also...thank you to the Merchant's Guild for funding this RP

I actually have nothing on that! I have two options just briefly considering it.

One, each Consul has access to their own special forces at their whim. This would mean they all basically have assassins at their beck and call, but brings up why they haven't just started a coup yet or always assassinate rivals. The most likely answer, on the other hand, is that the special forces is specifically under command of the High Imperator. If a Consul needs them for a mission, it has to be approved to prevent foul play.

Alrighty, that's all I needed to hear.

In a way it saved the Outer Colonies. They were left alone and without a way of immediately reexploring.
Well sure, but those on the inner colonies I'm sure would have liked the chance to call for back up. I know I would have been trying to find help from anywhere I could think of if I was a commander trying to fend off invading forces.

Well sure, but those on the inner colonies I'm sure would have liked the chance to call for back up. I know I would have been trying to find help from anywhere I could think of if I was a commander trying to fend off invading forces.
Well...what if they didn't want to call for help? Or more specifically, the Inner Colonies wanted to hide as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back