• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Invicta Civitates OOC

Oh yeah I totally forgot they terraformed in Aliens. That kind of tech would probably belong to the megacorps (if they still exist in such a state).
They sorta do? Private enterprise is a thing but under the caviat that they serve the government over their own interests. Of course this doesn't stop them from bribing Consuls to butter up those wheels. But for the most part colonies are run by the central government, even if they're funded by a company.

Jabroni Jabroni
Direct Timing Direct Timing
AceTheLizardKing AceTheLizardKing
Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian
skycaptain skycaptain
Plutoni Plutoni
ThatGuyWithSouvlaki ThatGuyWithSouvlaki

Hello everyone, this is just to inform everybody that Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford has designated me as a "co-GM" to help him run this more smoothly during a rough period for him. For now, I've only made a character sheet on his behalf and considering ways to get the story started.

Speaking of, please fill out this sheet with the basic concept of your characters:

Name: Full name of the character, including any particular nicknames.

History: Historical details of the character, a rough biography that gives us an idea of where they've been and what has happened in their life. Their parents, their general heritage, what kind of environment they grew up in, notable achievements.

Personality: General personal profile of the character; don't use simple language like "vicious when angry", describe what makes them react strongly instead, or what their general thought process is, anything to get an idea of their basic mental archetype.

Skills: Unique, particular skills the character possesses; what they're distinctly capable of doing that should be noted. A silver tongue, their trigger finger, a vague prescience about danger, or air of wisdom.

Appearance: The general appearance of their character, their rough build, height, any interesting details.

Miscellany: As described, miscellaneous things to note.

And, for your perusal, please consider this prototypical sheet for my own 'main character', the aforementioned 'disgraced son'. I've changed the title, of course lmao.

Name: Leonard "Lucky, Iron-ass" Augustis Niketas Caeser Cincinantis

History: Born with a silver spoon in his mouth and embraced by adoring servants, Leonard is the youngest scion of the Cincinantis family, a long-standing political dynasty within the Republic that has prided itself with its deep integration into the economy surrounding high-technology, and excellent military service, not to mention influential voices. Though he was a quiet kid and stayed out of the spotlight entirely, very unusually compared to his ancestors and siblings, as he became an adult an intense wanderlust and thirst overcame him.

Serving from the bottom, another questionable characteristic for his lineage, he rose up in rank the hard way in the Republican Navy, both as a test pilot and, shortly before his discharge, an aggressor squadron member. WIth a particular service in testing lighter warships and air/space hybrid crafts, he was instrumental in finalizing the design for many bleeding-edge warships that are either being fielded already or are still in testing. Accidents happen, but he became distinct from his peers for a unique string of fortune of never being hurt when even his co-pilots were injured. Although his luckiness seems to rub-off, with no fatalities ever being reported in any testing program he partook in.

After a period of time where he served with distinction and seemed quite comfortable in his position, he was overcome with another strange restlessness, this time related to the recent strange mutterings of odd happenstance in the outer colonies of the Republic. In his position, he was even privy to a few of the classified documents with vague suggestions of identifiable malice and intelligence in the strange entities being sighted. Calling on every favor he can, he seeks to blunt this possible disaster with everything he has.

Personality: Quiet, contemplative, honest, but also rough-hearted with a hint of vindictiveness and self-importance; all of these qualities could describe Leonard with a high degree of accuracy. Though he isn't a sociopath by any means, he does have distinct difficulties relating to many people, and keeps a respectful distance even when such an approach isn't warranted. Though he has no major awful psychological issues, he's still somewhat odd; with intense fixations that come and go, that completely overwhelm him. Sometimes, huge thirsts he desperately slakes for years. Others, a passing fancy he can obsess over for a few days.

Cold, he's been called a step even above a 'Hardass', at one point being mockingly called "iron-assed" during his relatively brief tenure as an OPFOR pilot in the Navy's aerial training program. Still, this is a nickname he enjoys, not entirely ironically, with a healthy amount of his tongue in his own cheek. He's the type to even appreciate the wit of an insult if there's anything particular, but he's good at hiding it at this or that moment.

Skills: Leonard Augustis Niketas Caeser Cincinantis served as an experimental warship pilot with intense distinction, with developed piloting and engineering skills; personally offering suggestions and discussing issues with the development team on a near equal level, and pushing the machine past what it was initially expected to be able to perform. Besides his familiarity with a control stick and blueprints, he possess the minimum expected political savvy of his pedigree. Certainly undeveloped, a certain talent is still there just from watching and speaking with his family when he was younger.

Besides his own raw skills, he of course has a good understanding of aerospace and literal space mechanics, knowing the difference of plasma and ion engines and maintaining the ability to calmly explain to 'groundlings' why spacecraft have a funny habit of flipping around when they're halfway to their destination. He's not exactly a master craftsman, but he can repair a fusion torch engine or a centrifuge as long as he has something that's vaguely appropriate and force it to work, for a little while.

With quick hands and a sharp eye, what one might initially presume to be an archaic and bizarre hobby of his starts to make more sense; in an age of planetary assault craft and orbital bombardment and electromagnetic weapons, he's surprisingly skilled in swordplay. Though he's never had the time to partake in the rare martial arts tournament suited for such skillsets, anyone who could catch a glimpse of his practice would note a dedicated adherence to a self-taught style, combining the concepts of various ancient schools practicing two-hander blades and more modern CQC techniques.

Besides his particular odd martial prowess, he of course has the modest experience around firearms and ground-based tactics expected of somebody who served as a test pilot in the Navy. A decent shot, but no more or less.

Appearance: Slightly slim in stature, he's quite tall at 6'3" (190cm) and his musculature was obviously cultivated by his training more for quick bursts of speed than sheer strength, with a general leanness. He has the light blonde hair that most of his family members do, with dark green eyes that are mostly unique to him, in his family. (Usually suggested to be some freak remnant of some genetic tweak or another made by some distant ancestor)

He cuts his hair short, plainly groomed with no particular style. His most distinct facial feature is a slight length to his nose, and a mild angularity to his face. His clothes are usually of the nature of piloting jumpsuits or dress uniforms, though in situations where those are seen as strange he tends to default to the next best thing, particularly a thermoregulatory jumpsuit topped with hard-wearing working clothes. In short, really quite unimaginative in this department.

Though, of course, with his growing paranoia in recent times he has commissioned many pieces; in particular, a special suit of armor fully described elsewhere.

Misc: N/A.

If you're intimidated by the length, don't. As co-GM I'd personally accept something shorter and blunter as long as it still gave a good idea of who the character is.

Please, expect a description of our starter ship/'home setting', the planet we're starting on, and a rough draft of the starting plot thread in the coming days.

Last edited:
Jabroni Jabroni
skycaptain skycaptain
Plutoni Plutoni
Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

Hello again everyone, I'm writing up the basic idea of the party's initial transportation, the aforementioned special-purpose ship that's been noted a few times, but I have the basic design down yet I'm not sure of a name. If you have anything better than the list below, please, tell me. Otherwise, vote between these options if you would:

The Nemi
The Argo
The Hellen

The Argo is perhaps the most obvious choice, but because of that it isn't too attractive on its own. Personally, I'm fond of the Nemi since this stands to reference two ships that were discovered in real-life which were more or less floating palaces of the Roman era, which fits with the concept of the ship having unusually luxurious accommodations and whatnot, but the ship is far more modest in scale compared to the real-life Nemi ships which were really quite large for their time. The Hellen is another obvious choice, but it isn't quite as "Well, duh". Since Hellen launched a thousand ships, the Hellen could be the nucleus of a counter-strike against the Invaders, which is roughly appropriate.

Anyway, as I said, I can't pick between these three and I can't think of anything better. Please, discuss this with me, and each-other if you would.

Jabroni Jabroni
skycaptain skycaptain
Plutoni Plutoni
Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

Hello again, sorry for the additional mention but I just sent a basic synopsis of the currently unnamed special-purpose ship to Rusty and he approved it, so I'm posting a description of it here for public perusal. Please, if you have any critique or commentary on the ship itself do share it with me. Since we aren't underway it'll be easy to add changes or modify it if you've any requests related to the ship.

Anyway, the file in question:

The INSERTNAME is a particularly unique vessel, built under orders by Leonard Augustis Niketas Cincinantis using a vast majority of his connections in the military-industrial sector. A spherically shaped ship measuring about thirty meters across, the INSERTNAME is one of the most finely crafted hulls ever built in the GRUS. Featuring perhaps the most sophisticated gravitic drive ever made by human hands, the INSERTNAME is one of the few ships that can utilize low-stability planetary gravitic anomalies as jump points, enabling the craft to enter FTL from low orbit around planets, directly to low orbit around planets in other star systems.

Furthermore, the INSERTNAME's gravitic drive is also tied directly to the ship's regular space propulsion; when other ships can only use their FTL system's gravity manipulation abilities to 'jam' long-range sensors and cloak themselves in a veil of altered space, the INSERTNAME can induce horrific pressure and temperature in its own fusion reaction chamber. Instead of the pure-hydrogen annihilation of standard warships, the INSERTNAME can rely on proton-proton fusion, an even more destructively energetic reaction. A particularly capable example of a "torch-ship", the INSERTNAME features an unheard of propellant efficiency, and an equally unheard of thrust potential. Where civilian ships would take months to make a certain orbital transfer, such as from the main habitable planet of a standard Sol-like system to the closest gas giant, warships could take weeks with their standard fusion engines. The INSERTNAME would take only several days.

The INSERTNAME, by necessity due to its potential for a horrific degree of thrust, is built extremely sturdily. The engine and frame of the ship are capable of maintaining a thrust of 1g basically indefinitely; with the fact the ship can more or less stay under-thrust with ease constantly, this removes the need for any other form of artificial gravity. In emergencies, the ship is even capable of more than 3 G's of acceleration, which is insane.

In the middle of the ship lies the fusion reactor, which powers and propels the ship by dispensing drive plasma through eight magnetic nozzles on the rim of the underside of the hull. By way of tweaking the specific shape of the fields that make up the magnetic nozzles, an excellent maneuverability is achieved in space and in an atmosphere. With only mild difficulty, the ship can hover and strafe about, something like a helicopter, searching for the perfect stretch of flat surface to land. To land, the ship relies on four adjustable landing legs, set to extend the main body of the hull about five meters above the ground by default.

In the direct middle of the hull, 'underneath' the main body of the ship, is a primary cargo elevator for the ship's internal cargo bay, which is 'below' the fusion reactor. In other words, the ship's "basement". Two ramps, one "forwards" and one "backwards" are also featured due to the relatively limited size of the cargo elevator, intended for vehicles. Speaking of, the INSERTNAME's hangar is just about big enough to handle cargo such as basic intermodal transport containers, most standard civilian vehicles, and perhaps even heavy military equipment like tanks, though certainly not many. In no way a standard military dropship, the only thing it could reasonably deposit would be small special forces teams or something of that sort. The absolute most it could be expected to drop on its own is a very small outpost, which would need to be packed and unpacked.

The space above the fusion reactor is a multi-deck crew quarters, cramped but luxuriously fitted nonetheless. With private personal bunks and amenities up to and including a communal hydroponics garden, the INSERTNAME is surprisingly comfortable to outright live in. The garden, of course, has the more practical purpose of helping to extend the useful operational time of the ship without resupply, though of course the small garden couldn't feed the crew entirely on its own. No matter what, fresh fruit and vegetables is always a morale booster on a ship. Besides the main hydroponics room, the ship also features a library (with paper and electronic records of every book), a gym, and various small communal rooms. In the middle of the craft's crew quarters lies the bridge, while the crew quarters connect to the engine bay and the cargo bay by way of elevators, at the "left" and "right" of the ship.

Plants and shrubbery are a standard feature for basically every long-term communal living space, with both familiar and exotic flora featuring in the ship's "ecosystem", always deposited in almost cute planters and inside glass recessions in walls. Though, of course, due to the intensity of the ship itself only hardier specimens can be reasonably expected; thickly-built bushes and strains of blooming moss are more common than dainty roses.

Above the crew quarters, in the 'attic' of the ship, lies the INSERTNAME's weapons and sensor batteries. Directly hull-mounted due to the INSERTNAME's extreme maneuverability making a fully turreted mount pointless, the weapons are a spread of four. A missile tube connected to a rotary magazine, suitable for most standard GRUS missiles (up to and including tactical nuclear missiles), a railgun, a laser lense, and a particle cannon. With each weapon being comparable to a picket ships', the INSERTNAME is able to defend itself against other small vessels and perhaps modest secondary warships if fortune favors the INSERTNAME, but it could only annoy proper line-battleships. Even if it was fitted with nuclear missiles, the fact it only has one, rate-of-fire limited tube means that its lone missile strikes would be easy for a targeted battleship to intercept.

Thankfully, the INSERTNAME doesn't need to rely on its firepower or its hull to protect itself in space. Its intensely powerful gravitic drive can utilize its gravitational effects to cloak the ship just like standard military warships do, to a proportionately higher degree. While GRUS battleships can only 'jam' enemy sensors to make long range interplanetary combat a fruitless endeavor, the INSERTNAME can outright cloak itself to long range sensors entirely, allowing it to sneak past pickets and infiltrate into gravitic jump points. Even direct optical observation is rendered severely unlikely, since the ship's FTL drive fields can outright trap and disperse photons, almost like a black hole's event horizon. With the fact the fields are highly malleable, it can constantly tweak the specific effects of its gravitational lens to maintain its veil of secrecy.

Furthermore, I also made an extremely sophisticated diagram in MSpaint so that everyone has a basic idea, if you just can't visualize it in your head for whatever reason. The very elegant diagram is below.

uhQjldU.png

I forgot to write this down, but the crew-to-cargo elevators obviously have stairwells as well.

Please, don't be too impressed by my artistic talent, it's just a diagram. Anyway, if you have any concerns or comments, as I said, please share them with me in public or in private however you see fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back