Interactive Faction RPs (Style of Nation Building)

Lorsh

Varlot
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Let me know what you think of this concept! Feel free to make suggestions, ask questions, and, of course, use this information to create roleplays of your own. Any of this can be edited to suit your own needs. So, basically, Interactive Faction Roleplaying is a method of strategy-type RP I started developing awhile ago, although I only came up with that specific name a few hours ago. It's similar to the usual Nation Building concept, but (usually) comes with more mechanics, a GM, and involves the management smaller groups, where each member tends to have a name and specific job.

Examples of roleplays using this style.

Nation Building - STATE ZERO | Wolves of Atlano

Nation Building - OVERCAST: The Convicts

Interactive Faction Roleplays

• Guidelines on how it generally works:

-Works best in post-apocalyptic and survival-based settings, but can be tailored to other types of genres as well. I've done medieval-based roleplays like this before too.

-The focus is not on countries. Rather, players control smaller-scale groups such as gangs, settlements, paramilitary groups, etc. Generally, groups of 20 to maybe 300 people.

-Common themes include ethical dilemmas, squad tactics, supply management, scavenging, and community building.

-There is a GM (or DM) that controls the environment, NPCs, and other external elements. They determine the results of each player's leadership decisions, such as crop yields and the amount of supplies obtained from foraging operations. Usually, there will be mechanics and systems in place that the GM can use to help them determine different outcomes, including some mechanics which I will provide examples of. Ultimately though, the GM can simply be a dictator choose what happens based on what makes the most sense, if need be. A good GM will not favor one faction over another.

-Each player has their faction's leader as their character. The GM gives personality to the faction's common members, and can give advice to the player in the form of the faction leader's lieutenants.

-Each faction has a separate thread, where the GM and faction leader interact on a one-to-one basis. A lot of RP is derived from the GM presenting the player with internal problems in their group, as well as offering different sets of choices and dilemmas. The GM can also introduce NPC-based antagonists for the players to deal with as well.

-DESPITE each faction's posts taking place on separate threads, these factions co-exist in the same overall roleplay. They can meet each other, fight each other, and communicate. The separate threads act as a barrier to easy metagaming. Sometimes, cross-thread interaction involves the GM filtering info from one thread to another, but direct communications (assuming they are established IC first) can be set up in the form of RPN Group Conversations. Peaking on another faction's thread is not allowed unless given permission to do so.

-Posts can involve the player's leader character interacting with NPCs and issuing orders in a more direct fashion (IC mode), or simply providing summaries of what they want to be completed (command mode).

Last edited:
Dear Swarx,

I have recently begun my own roleplay of this variety and I thought that I would that it is of similar design. I think it would help others to see another variety.

The Adumbrate Saga

Thanks,
Zalt.

I have a couple questions

1. Is this like an actual game, IC?

2. Why "alternative to nation building". Is it really necessary to create an alternative to an already underpopulated section of the site?

I have a couple questions

1. Is this like an actual game, IC?

2. Why "alternative to nation building". Is it really necessary to create an alternative to an already underpopulated section of the site?

1. What do you mean by that?

2. Maybe, considering vanilla isn't cutting it for most people.

1. What do you mean by that?
ALl those systems and mechanics, I'm asking whether in universe those are for a game, or if the mechanics are just OOC support.

2. Maybe, considering vanilla isn't cutting it for most people.
But if what you are attempting to do is create something like it, just not in that section won't that just be a problem for that section and divert attention outwards from it? Wouldn't it make more sense to make this as a new type of nation building perhaps instead of something outside of nation building?

ALl those systems and mechanics, I'm asking whether in universe those are for a game, or if the mechanics are just OOC support.

But if what you are attempting to do is create something like it, just not in that section won't that just be a problem for that section and divert attention outwards from it? Wouldn't it make more sense to make this as a new type of nation building perhaps instead of something outside of nation building?

OOC support, mainly. I use them in some of my RPs, though.

I suppose it would be better worded as an alternative way of doing nation-building roleplays, rather than an alternative to nation-building itself.

I see. Alright. Well, from what I can tell, it could use some ground testing but in theory it's looking great! Good luck!

I can tell you firsthand that these faction RPs are fucking awesome. I have had ten times the entertainment and fun in this kind of RP than in a Nation Building. The way that Swarx pulls off these RPs is spifftacular; a perfect blend of character development, low-scale management, and gambling between risks and reward. You truly feel like you are on the brink of prosperity or damnation at every turn. The playing of Swarx's games are both simple in the fact that you manage a small amount of people, and complex in the fact that you need to command, equip, and keep happy all of them. And on top of that, Swarx's universes are 100000% more in depth than pretty much any I have seen on this website.

These RPs are insane, and I highly recommend that you try it Idea Idea

Very few roleplays evoke a legitimate emotional response from me, whether it be fear, relief, pride, or despair. But Swarx's RPs do it every single time

And it's not even just his either, this genre in general is just fire, and they're easy to make too with a bit of effort

Lord Bradorian Lord Bradorian I never said otherwise. I mean they're not my cup of tea from what I can tell, but what I was asking earlier wasn't an implication of this being worse, quite on the contrary in fact. From this and from past post by Swarx, I reckon he (or she) enjoys nation building and wishes there would be a bigger site presence there or better quality RPs there, something along those lines. So my question is, if this RP is successful and it is framed as "an alternative to nation building" that could make the section loose even more traffic when it is already delicate, whereas proposing this as within the genre might lead to more people taking an interest in it, resulting in perhaps the possibility of increased attempts at roleplay creation and management there and more effort being put in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back