Video Games In your opinion, what are some of the most overrated video games?

Nocturne.

Hiatus!
I am quite curious. What is a game you think is ridiculously overhyped? Why do you think that? I'll start off, of course: I believe FNAF is overrated. Wonderful as the story is, it mostly gets its kicks from jumpscares. I could turn to any other horror game for that experience.

Last edited:
For me, it's Horizon: Zero Dawn. The gameplays is fun, I'll give it that, but the writing is so atrocious that I couldn't finish it out of sheer second-hand embarrassment I felt for the writers.

Nioh is pretty bad to me, too. I love Souls-like games, but the creators of Nioh basically replicated its worst elements without including the actually good stuff. The level design sucked, and the way they kept reusing the enemies was r i d i c u l o u s. If you thought that DS1 was bad for reusing Asylum Demons three times, then hoo, boy, are you going to love meeting Onryoki what felt like twenty times at least. Also, the writing was bad. Like, tragically bad. There's minimalism, and then there's making literally no sense.

Wow, I forgot how bitter I was about these games, haha.

I am quite curious. What is a game you think is ridiculously overhyped? Why do you think that? I'll start off: I believe FNAF is overrated. Wonderful as the story is, it mostly gets its kicks from jumpscares. I could turn to any other horror game for that experience.
Why is this light yellow? I had to use the dark theme to see it.

Anyway, I think the most overrated game is Yandere Simulator. Yeah, it's getting recognized for its spaghetti coding, terrible object/character files, and terrible game mechanics, but it still has a huge following that is all just yes-men and white knights for Yan Dev/Alex to manipulate (as far as I know. I'd rather not follow the jerk moves that he makes, so I'm not up to date.) I used to actually like it, but then I realized what shit it is. Also, he called the people that saw the game for the cluster-fuck it is 'Gremlins' once, just to give a glimpse of his shittiness.

Why is this light yellow? I had to use the dark theme to see it.

Anyway, I think the most overrated game is Yandere Simulator. Yeah, it's getting recognized for its spaghetti coding, terrible object/character files, and terrible game mechanics, but it still has a huge following that is all just yes-men and white knights for Yan Dev/Alex to manipulate (as far as I know. I'd rather not follow the jerk moves that he makes, so I'm not up to date.) I used to actually like it, but then I realized what shit it is. Also, he called the people that saw the game for the cluster-fuck it is 'Gremlins' once, just to give a glimpse of his shittiness.
This game is a mess with a shitty creator and I can't believe I EVER liked it.

Why is it garbage?
Bad story, previous lore is forgotten about, extreme mechanics disbalance, not a single memorable or at least half-deceloped character, lazy and uninteresting leveldesign, lack of immersion, and the bad side of political correctness weaved onto the game, not to mention its banal and boring world when compared to earlier entries and other games. They had a good universe to make a game with, and they messed it up big time. One good thing they have is art - you can just go there to look at pretty landscapes and sunsets, but Skyrim doesn't hold up even to their earlier entries, which were far from perfect on their own. Bethesda overall lacks good direction.
I'm not even talking about bugs and "fans will fix this in mods" attitude.

Call of Duty and any of the FIfa or Madden titles. You're literally just buying a repackaged version of the last game

Skyrim is praised, but it's absolute garbage.

Offtopic: your first post is just a big blank thing for me.
You need to play it with mods. Makes a world of a difference

This makes mods good. Not the game itself.
I mean, I guess it all depends what you want from the game. I love character creation. tbh, that's really the only reason I even really got into the Elder scrolls or fallout games. If the character creation wasn't what it was, I wouldn't care about them. Mods just make the thing I like about them that much better.

This makes mods good. Not the game itself.

That is flat out untrue. Mods depend massively on how much the game designers, themselves, wanted to indulge modders. There is a reason certain games like: Skyrim, Fallout, Rimworld, Neverwinter Nights, various Paradox games etc have such massive modding scenes that completely, and utterly, change so much to a game. Because the game designers knowingly gave people the power to do so [It tends to cost more time and money for them to properly develop modding tools and kits for the community to use to make such things easier, so yes, it is a conscious decision].

That is as much a part of the integral design and point to the game as the storyline is. Have you never wondered why other extremely popular series don't have remotely the same modding scene? Why when they do have mods they tend to be small, minor, things that change something slightly or fudge a value? Because modding support wasn't intended [or was outright made more difficult]. I don't care how much you think the original Skyrim is overrated, but the fact that Skyrim has so many mods? That fact it can become anything you want? A large part of that credit goes to its designers which is something you need to consider when evaluating a game.

That is as much a part of the integral design and point to the game as the storyline is.
Absolutely not. This is actually a professional opinion. The addition of modding access is made for two things: selling the engine (not this case), and selling more games (this case), because as long as the community is alive and doing its job with the mods, people buy the game. It's a PR choice, and a free bump for old games that requires no work from the devs part.

Not to mention, have you even tried to make mods on their engine? It's absolutely hideous and unfit for modern day and age. Which is another minus to the whole list of things I have already mentioned: even the engine needs disassembling reworking from the scratch (thanks script extender team for doing that), else its practically unusable.

Mods are good. Modders are saint people who do a lot of work for basically nothing. The game itself is absolute shite, and saying it's good because the mods are good is like saying a show is good because the fanart is pretty.

Sorry if I'm being rude, but I don't think you can compare mods to fanart because fanart doesn't contribute to the quality of a show, while mods contribute to the quality of the game.
Oh, you aren't rude, and you're entitled to your own opinion. However, it is still an entity that was created by the fans, for the fans, for free (unless it's a commission, in which case you're walking a thin line), and wasn't included in the original media - a cartoon provides you with as many tools to make fanworks as a game - to make mods, it's just less technical. If it makes it more even, replace 'fanart' with 'fan skits'. Besides, I wouldn't say that seeing good art doesn't contribute to my own enjoyment of a show, a film, or a toon, but that might just be me, lol.

I always wondered how FREE mods did better work than the original content. Kinda stupid, imo
It's passion projects, imo. You don't have direction, you do what you want, and when you want, and you do it only if you feel strongly towards it. Many, many modders are devs themselves (I have only recently realised that my favourite mods are actually made by my colleague and a good friend - I just never noticed the creator's username before a few months back), and others should think about becoming ones.

I tell ya, I didn't have any good experience in the field when I was working on something official, in a big team, because you had this... frame for the lack of better word (sorry if this makes little sense, I'm just really sleepy), and you had to follow it. And lemme tell ya, the directors and producers, a.k.a., people who make the calls aren't the most creative people for some reason. My own theory is that they sort of wrote themselves out OR are friends with the investors. But in small teams, or over something I myself really, really wanted to make - the experience was fantastic.

But, yeah, short version is, passion projects are much more fun to make than something you're "forced" to do. And more fun means better morale, which in turn means better quality. Morale is everything.

It's passion projects, imo. You don't have direction, you do what you want, and when you want, and you do it only if you feel strongly towards it. Many, many modders are devs themselves (I have only recently realised that my favourite mods are actually made by my colleague and a good friend - I just never noticed the creator's username before a few months back), and others should think about becoming ones.

I tell ya, I didn't have any good experience in the field when I was working on something official, in a big team, because you had this... frame for the lack of better word (sorry if this makes little sense, I'm just really sleepy), and you had to follow it. And lemme tell ya, the directors and producers, a.k.a., people who make the calls aren't the most creative people for some reason. My own theory is that they sort of wrote themselves out OR are friends with the investors. But in small teams, or over something I myself really, really wanted to make - the experience was fantastic.

But, yeah, short version is, passion projects are much more fun to make than something you're "forced" to do. And more fun means better morale, which in turn means better quality. Morale is everything.

Any art I've done of my own volition usually turns out better than something I've been asked to do for someone else. So yeah, I get what you mean.

Absolutely not. This is actually a professional opinion. The addition of modding access is made for two things: selling the engine (not this case), and selling more games (this case), because as long as the community is alive and doing its job with the mods, people buy the game. It's a PR choice, and a free bump for old games that requires no work from the devs part.

Not to mention, have you even tried to make mods on their engine? It's absolutely hideous and unfit for modern day and age. Which is another minus to the whole list of things I have already mentioned: even the engine needs disassembling reworking from the scratch (thanks script extender team for doing that), else its practically unusable.

Mods are good. Modders are saint people who do a lot of work for basically nothing. The game itself is absolute shite, and saying it's good because the mods are good is like saying a show is good because the fanart is pretty.

It does require work and time. Making a game mod friendly is a design choice, making modding kits and tools takes time and money which is the reason many indie games are not mod friendly, the developers simply didn't have the time and money to make it and once they get the initial cash flow from the sales, they move on to their next product [Case in point: Pathfinder Kingmaker. A game that could have had a massive modding scene like Neverwinter Nights, but they simply didn't have the money or time to do it. In fact, one of their stretch goals for the upcoming sequel was modding support. So, uh, yea, it isn't something that requires no work. That fact you believe that is wrong].

Modern day and age? Wait a minute, are you telling me a game that is nearly a decade old isn't as easy to mod as a game that came out last year with modding support in mind? Crazy, absolutely crazy. Who woulda thought? Script extender allows for you to do more things, usually by, this may surprise you, extending options with scripts.

Modders are great people, this is true, however without the game being so open with them toying with it, without developers planning on modders messing with it and so making it so easy to mess with, those modders wouldn't have been able to make what they did. Again. Why do you think some popular game series have such little, to no, mods? Because the game either wasn't designed with mod support in mind because they lacked the time and money [many indie developers] because, yes, it does take time and money to do this and it isn't free, or it was actively discouraged and made difficult [many AAA titles].

ARK

I even tried to play it with some friends, but because the people behind it didn't mention in advance there wouldn't be cross-platform playability between the Epic Games version and other versions...it was utterly useless to me and I couldn't enjoy it. I don't see how anyone else can.

Dragon Quest is a very underrated fandom even though it has been around much longer than final fantasy.
do you know how hard it is to find someone who even knows what DQ is? let alone likes it?
although the more recent games aren't that good the original two trilogys i still like the fandom

For me, it's Horizon: Zero Dawn. The gameplays is fun, I'll give it that, but the writing is so atrocious that I couldn't finish it out of sheer second-hand embarrassment I felt for the writers.

i agree i love the gameplay,(and the amazing world scenery) but the story is some what decent if you play it all the way through.

i agree i love the gameplay,(and the amazing world scenery) but the story is some what decent if you play it all the way through.

The story itself wasn't necessarily the problem, but the execution killed it for me. Like, I hated the way the dialogues were written, the characters, etc. etc. I do believe that, in a vacuum, the plot itself can be good, but I don't trust the writers anymore.

EU4: Like... its a glorified map painter. Its not like Crusader Kings where you are RPing as a king/queen trying to set up their dynasty, its not HOI4 which is a strategy game disguised as a map painter... EU4 is just looking at numbers and trying to paint the map. Its not as tactical as HOI4, its not as deep in character or events as Crusader Kings, you can't build cool things or go exploring like in Stellaris... Yet people will die on a pyre for it. I just never understood why people enjoyed the game so much. Its okay. That is about as high as I go on it.

Dark Souls: The games handle like a drunk rhino [Seriously, sometimes I wonder if the player character is under water or something]. Many of the boss fights come down to being: Tedious, repetitive or both. Its 'hard' but in all the wrong ways, imo. Resistance: Fall of Man was hard. Dark Souls is 'hard' in kind of an artificial way and the people that swear by its name, up and down, just confuse me. Like, mate, its an okay game, not the second coming.

Fallout: New Vegas. I am not saying its a bad game, its not, its a good game, but people are a little too.... fanatic about it. Honestly, I prefer Fallout 3 to it, yes, I do, put away your pitchforks and the reason I do is the same reason I enjoyed Skyrim and even Fallout 4... I'm not in it for the story. My favorite thing about these games is getting out of the starting zone, picking a direction and just going. Seeing what is out there, seeing what I'll find and stumble on, immersing myself into the world as this adventurer. You can't do that in New Vegas. New Vegas is a linear game pretending to be Fallout. Don't believe me? Try it. Pick a direction and walk. You can't. Because they cut off the directions with monsters you can't get past [Deathclaws and Cazadors] and if you get past that, a lot of the areas are directly tied to quest and so you either can't progress in the area or feel like you are missing a ton of stuff because you didn't follow the preset path to get the quest before going. That doesn't exist in Fallout 3. Areas will be tied to quest, sure, but it doesn't matter. You are never punished for exploring, you don't feel like you are missing out on a ton of stuff by exploring. Honestly, I think Obsidian just sucks at making Open World games and should stick to linear games. Its what they are good at and excel at [when they actually finish a game].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back