Video Games In your opinion, what are some of the most overrated video games?

Please do not come at me but I think that Zelda is really operated. I do agree that it's a classic and the memes are (sometimes) great, but it's kinda over rated in my opinion.

I know this has already been mentioned once, but Among Us is really overhyped imho. Probably just because I am bad at lying and my favorite part is just doing my little tasks lolol
I was into it for about a hot minute. It reminds me of Werewolf/Mafia (there's many variations of the same game), but I definitely prefer that sort of game in person. It's meant to be played in person and is much more engaging.

animal crossing and call of duty. i need not explain.

controversial but most if not all of hideo kojima’s recent projects suck big ass.

animal crossing and call of duty. i need not explain.

controversial but most if not all of hideo kojima’s recent projects suck big ass.
I can't speak for Call of Duty, but I do know Animal Crossing is popular due to the sense of escapism it evokes.

Final Fantasy. It’s not as interesting as a lot of people claim it to be. At least, not to me.
Retro me has a soft spot for FF1 for the NES, but that's kinda where it ends. I got about a third of the way through FFX and got incredibly bored. The world is kind of underdeveloped, and IMO, the gameplay is just... bad. Especially that weird sport.

Retro me has a soft spot for FF1 for the NES, but that's kinda where it ends. I got about a third of the way through FFX and got incredibly bored. The world is kind of underdeveloped, and IMO, the gameplay is just... bad. Especially that weird sport.
Really? I love the gameplay of FF X. In fact, I'd be far more into the series if all the FF games had its gameplay (minus the sport, not a fan of it).

Pretty much any FPS game thats not Overwatch is overrated imo.. Just not a huge fan of the overly toxic communities that follow it.

I'll get nuked for this, but here goes!

Bioshock. I honestly had more fun playing the original System Shock (which is great), and good God, do not get me started on that ending!

Pretty much any FPS game thats not Overwatch is overrated imo.. Just not a huge fan of the overly toxic communities that follow it.

Hypocritical considering Overwatch is literally known for being extremely toxic and frustrating to play.

Fallout 3. Only good thing that came from it were memories and new vegas.

(my opinion) I think one of most overrated game is call of duty its basically a different story same sort of gameplay and most of the community for cod is toxic if you are in the middle of a match

(my opinion) I think one of most overrated game is call of duty its basically a different story same sort of gameplay and most of the community for cod is toxic if you are in the middle of a match
The original Call of Duty games were good, but then it really lost its lustre after the first few games. The original Modern Warfare was like the last good one, imo.

I don't really see the hype around Elden Ring tbch. It looks gorgeous, sure, but It's not the first open world Souls game. It's not revolutionary.

That was Dark Souls. Dark Souls is open world. DS2 might be, I never really got far into it.

An open world video game is a game where the entire world is generated at once, or at least while you progress. You can sort of tell if a game is open world because there wont be any loading screens when you walk into a new area (like, say, DS3).

MLB the Show & Madden for the same reasons. I don’t know about last years game cause I didn’t bother with either one, but it’s been pretty much the exact same game every year for several years except roster updates and that’s it. Expensive repeats and I’d expect way more by now with the gameplay and game mode improvements in the 2020’s of gaming and how much money they rake in each year.

Elder Scrolls Online and Oblivion I could never get into so kinda feel they are overrated but in truth also could never get too far into the game before giving up on them. I liked Skyrim for sure though, especially after the anniversary edition updates with special edition game. Some of the bugs are still around and bugging me out but still enjoy the game. But so far that’s been the only ES game I’ve liked personally.

Rise of Kingdoms for mobile games wise is way overrated. It’s time consuming if you want to keep up with the allies and avoid being kicked out for falling behind (probably group pending and not universally true) , boring, can’t delete your account so basically app removal is your lone option. Although admittedly I also have found mobile games in general to be overrated and not worth the time and possibly money put into them. So I rarely try them out but rise of kingdoms and Pokémon go were two I’ve tried in recent years with Pokémon go being around the time it was huge and still new. Both I’d put into the overrated category.

Edit: I’d probably add COD & Final Fantasy as well. But not enough experience with either game just brief gameplays from one game years ago for both. Although turned based fighting games aren’t really my thing in general (Pokémon as kid excluded). Fort nite and Destiny I’d as well but same reasons there too.

Elder Scrolls Online and Oblivion I could never get into so kinda feel they are overrated but in truth also could never get too far into the game before giving up on them. I liked Skyrim for sure though, especially after the anniversary edition updates with special edition game. Some of the bugs are still around and bugging me out but still enjoy the game. But so far that’s been the only ES game I’ve liked personally.
OK, on the topic of Elder Scrolls, Skyrim in particular is a masterclass in how not to introduce your player to the game. I had to study this in class because of how mind-numbingly bad the introduction was. It's filled to the brim with detail, which is fine. It's putting you in a wheelbarrow and just trotting you around with no control. That's, weirdly, also fine, as long as you're smart about it. The killer thing about Skyrim's intro is that it takes half a fucking hour just to get started.

If you get past that - and to be honest, that's a big if - it's a pretty great game as far as sandbox fantasy goes. I loved the game, but god I can never start it over. That intro sequence is absolutely painful.

OK, on the topic of Elder Scrolls, Skyrim in particular is a masterclass in how not to introduce your player to the game. I had to study this in class because of how mind-numbingly bad the introduction was. It's filled to the brim with detail, which is fine. It's putting you in a wheelbarrow and just trotting you around with no control. That's, weirdly, also fine, as long as you're smart about it. The killer thing about Skyrim's intro is that it takes half a fucking hour just to get started.

If you get past that - and to be honest, that's a big if - it's a pretty great game as far as sandbox fantasy goes. I loved the game, but god I can never start it over. That intro sequence is absolutely painful.
Yeah that opening can be a drag. First time through I was ok with it, each respective character after that is just too long, but something I’ll still do when the Skyrim mood hits. But yeah, I agree it’s pretty good all things considered the anniversary updates brought some new features that make it a little refreshing and relaxing in some cases gaming wise.

1) Destiny 1 and 2

I was super hyped for this game when it was initially announced. I thought it looked great, had an interesting premise, and had a lot of promise since it came from Bungie, the original company behind Halo. But when it was released I enjoyed it for about 2 hours, and that's it. The other 40+ hours I put into the game were little more than a single, long-running "Go here, use the Ghost, fight waves of enemies, and kill the boss at the end" mission.

The game literally has nothing else to offer. Every world, while looking fantastic on the surface, is completely empty and devoid of anything interesting to do except get to the boss fight at the end. All the enemies are exactly the same and spawn in the exact same places. There's no NPC villages, towns, or cities to explore (even if they're dilapidated and uninhabited). No interesting NPC companions that can join you on missions. There's literally nothing. It's just you and this empty world with scripted enemy spawn points to serve as "obstacles" on your route to the obligatory boss fight at the end.

It's not exactly gripping.

Even Destiny 2, despite the attempted fixes after parting ways with Activision, failed to introduce anything new that was genuinely inspired or interesting to either the worlds, gameplay, or story. A lot of people lauded the story additions as being awesome. I was left unimpressed and found it all to be very contrived and easily predictable. Literally nothing surprised me as I played through Destiny 2, and I was bored for about 98% of the adventure, or irritated at the overly repetitive nature of the game. For that 2% where I wasn't bored or irritated, I was regretting getting the game at all and wasting the 40+ hours of my life that I put into it.

2) Every Single EA or Take-Two Sports Game (Madden, FIFA, NBA, etc)

Every single game for the last decade or so has been a copy-paste with fewer and fewer actual game features and gameplay mechanics stuffed to the brim with predatory gambling mechanics. No, they're not "microtransactions." Once you've spent more than about $10 on a single in-game purchase it's not a microtransaction. It's a transaction. And that's $10 real world dollars for however many game-currency. Real money for fake money, or coins or whatever other form of "currency" the game has just so you can try playing a gambling game of chance to get a character you want, or raise your stats.

Pathetic.

3) The Elder Scrolls

As much as I was a major Skyrim fanboy for over a decade and put over 1,000 hours into it over the years, the more I've learned about story telling and world building and character design, the more I feel disconnected from the entire Elder Scrolls franchise as a whole.

While the game is definitely fun it's not what I thought it was all those years ago when I first started playing it. The bland and uninspired side quests, none of which are even remotely related to the main story or advance our knowledge of the world around us, now stand out to me as the greatest example of pointless filler given interactive form. Even the main story is optional which is never what you want in a game like this. Alduin is supposed to be a world-ending threat. But you can ignore him and play Skyrim however you want without ever advancing the story beyond a certain point.

... How does that make sense?

As much as I still love Skyrim for the nostalgia, the game just doesn't hit the same now that I know about all of its flaws. Sadly, the more you know and can recognize faults, the weaker the game becomes in terms of its interest level and the amount of enjoyment you can get out of it while playing.

That's about it for me right now. Don't wanna ruin too many childhoods. Lol.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean

This might be because I'm not a fps fan, but I don't really understand the hype behind COD. I tried playing it when I was younger, but it just wasn't fun to me, but maybe it just wasn't for me!

This might be because I'm not a fps fan, but I don't really understand the hype behind COD. I tried playing it when I was younger, but it just wasn't fun to me, but maybe it just wasn't for me!
The early ones are good, but after Modern Warfare I would definitely say they're overrated.

The early ones are good, but after Modern Warfare I would definitely say they're overrated.
I actually played some of the latest games at the time (this was a couple of years ago), so I might play some of the earlier ones next time I have access to the games!

Metro 2033. It's only really exceptional in the lighting department, but aside from that I don't see the appeal. For me, STALKER completely blew this game out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back