Video Games In your opinion, what are some of the most overrated video games?

Dark Souls: The games handle like a drunk rhino [Seriously, sometimes I wonder if the player character is under water or something]. Many of the boss fights come down to being: Tedious, repetitive or both. Its 'hard' but in all the wrong ways, imo. Resistance: Fall of Man was hard. Dark Souls is 'hard' in kind of an artificial way and the people that swear by its name, up and down, just confuse me. Like, mate, its an okay game, not the second coming.
This. Just...this. Bloodborne and Sekiro? I get it. Those games are legitimately about skill and memorization. But Dark Souls wouldn't be nearly as hard if you had better controls and the hitboxes were actually decent. It just feels artificially difficult to me.

EU4: Like... its a glorified map painter. Its not like Crusader Kings where you are RPing as a king/queen trying to set up their dynasty, its not HOI4 which is a strategy game disguised as a map painter... EU4 is just looking at numbers and trying to paint the map. Its not as tactical as HOI4, its not as deep in character or events as Crusader Kings, you can't build cool things or go exploring like in Stellaris... Yet people will die on a pyre for it. I just never understood why people enjoyed the game so much. Its okay. That is about as high as I go on it.

Dark Souls: The games handle like a drunk rhino [Seriously, sometimes I wonder if the player character is under water or something]. Many of the boss fights come down to being: Tedious, repetitive or both. Its 'hard' but in all the wrong ways, imo. Resistance: Fall of Man was hard. Dark Souls is 'hard' in kind of an artificial way and the people that swear by its name, up and down, just confuse me. Like, mate, its an okay game, not the second coming.

Fallout: New Vegas. I am not saying its a bad game, its not, its a good game, but people are a little too.... fanatic about it. Honestly, I prefer Fallout 3 to it, yes, I do, put away your pitchforks and the reason I do is the same reason I enjoyed Skyrim and even Fallout 4... I'm not in it for the story. My favorite thing about these games is getting out of the starting zone, picking a direction and just going. Seeing what is out there, seeing what I'll find and stumble on, immersing myself into the world as this adventurer. You can't do that in New Vegas. New Vegas is a linear game pretending to be Fallout. Don't believe me? Try it. Pick a direction and walk. You can't. Because they cut off the directions with monsters you can't get past [Deathclaws and Cazadors] and if you get past that, a lot of the areas are directly tied to quest and so you either can't progress in the area or feel like you are missing a ton of stuff because you didn't follow the preset path to get the quest before going. That doesn't exist in Fallout 3. Areas will be tied to quest, sure, but it doesn't matter. You are never punished for exploring, you don't feel like you are missing out on a ton of stuff by exploring. Honestly, I think Obsidian just sucks at making Open World games and should stick to linear games. Its what they are good at and excel at [when they actually finish a game].
This. Just...this. Bloodborne and Sekiro? I get it. Those games are legitimately about skill and memorization. But Dark Souls wouldn't be nearly as hard if you had better controls and the hitboxes were actually decent. It just feels artificially difficult to me.

I agree about Dark Souls 1 and 2, but Dark Souls 3 actually feels pretty good and fun to me. (Probably because it got much faster.) It also feels less gimmicky than its predecessors. I genuinely think that people who worship DS1, with its clunky controls and many, many infuriating locations, are just drunk on nostalgia. (Or they're into ~lore~, but tbh, gameplay > lore, always.)

I agree about Dark Souls 1 and 2, but Dark Souls 3 actually feels pretty good and fun to me. (Probably because it got much faster.) It also feels less gimmicky than its predecessors. I genuinely think that people who worship DS1, with its clunky controls and many, many infuriating locations, are just drunk on nostalgia. (Or they're into ~lore~, but tbh, gameplay > lore, always.)

Gameplay > Lore? Trying telling that to the cult of Morrowind III. "This janky lore that seems like it was written by like six random people writing down whatever they could after a binge of Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings and Lovecraft is totally amazing and its such a great and awesome game, oh, please ignore the hilariously broken mechanics [Alchemy alone. Like no testing went into that game] and how every attack you make will clip through existence."

But I've never played the third one so maybe they did fix that. I know bloodborne felt a lot better, so it makes sense for there to be some progress made. Only played the first two. Wasn't a fan so saw never saw a reason to pick up the third one.

Raid Shadow Legends. But seriously, I think Far Cry 5 was ridiculously overhyped, and is being praised for being a straight downgrade to 4, I just can’t enjoy a game where I’m another godlike silent protagonist with barely any input into the story. The only remotely decent thing was the co-op, where my friends made me enjoy the game more then the ENTIRE CAMPAIGN. Even though some people called out Ubisoft for how lazy it was, it was praised across the wall for being mediocre at best.

art by
arithm

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴜʀɴs

(he/him)

ʙᴜɢʙᴇᴀʀ ʙᴀʀᴅs ᴡɪᴛʜ
ʙᴀɴᴊᴏs ʏ'ᴀʟʟ

I don't understand the allure of sports games (FIFA, etc). However, I recently didn't understand why people liked FPS games until I played with a group of friends on a team, so maybe I'm biased.

♡design by rabbitswarren, coded by uxie♡

Regarding Skyrim: it's good in some areas, but not so good in others. I also admit a bias since it's the first Elder Scrolls game I ever played. I also love dragons and to see another game incorporate them got my attention(and yes I realize they're technically wyverns). Some pros for me in the game are the gameplay and the graphics. The gameplay is fairly straight forward and the controls are not clunky like in some other games. The graphics were outright gorgeous for their time and even now they continue to hold up fairly well.

The cons? Well, I'm not a fan of the repetitive quests. Nearly all of them feel the same, being along the lines of fetching something. That gets boring fairly quickly. Also, the storyline started out good but it becomes more difficult to be immersed when your character is head of literally every guild and faction in the game.

art by
arithm

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴜʀɴs

(he/him)

ʙᴜɢʙᴇᴀʀ ʙᴀʀᴅs ᴡɪᴛʜ
ʙᴀɴᴊᴏs ʏ'ᴀʟʟ

That's a very fair criticism of Skyrim tbh. I loved it, but all of that is 100% true.

art by
arithm

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴜʀɴs

(he/him)

ʙᴜɢʙᴇᴀʀ ʙᴀʀᴅs ᴡɪᴛʜ
ʙᴀɴᴊᴏs ʏ'ᴀʟʟ

Mhm! Definitely c:

To weigh in on the Dark Souls discussion, though:
I played Bloodborne first (not technically Dark Souls but relevant) and adored it, from there I went to DS 1, 2, and 3 respectively. I enjoyed them all, but 3 was definitely the best out of Dark Souls. Personally, Bloodborne was better though.

As much as I hate to say it, Danganronpa. I’m a huge fan of it, but I admit it’s kind of everywhere nowadays and there are many things about it that are overhyped and such.

Other than that I’d have to agree with earlier statements about Yandere Simulator. The Dev is extremely ableist and doesn’t believe in dissociative identity disorder, for example, so I am so surprised it’s getting any support to begin with nowadays.

art by
arithm

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴜʀɴs

(he/him)

ʙᴜɢʙᴇᴀʀ ʙᴀʀᴅs ᴡɪᴛʜ
ʙᴀɴᴊᴏs ʏ'ᴀʟʟ

That's really fair. I've played it, and had fun, but it never interested me past a few rounds.

Don't get me wrong, I adore that game. But, dear God, some of the fanatics have deep-set problems.
If you do like Undertale I highly recommend you play through the Mother series or at least Earthbound and Mother 3. Mother is what inspired Toby Fox to make Undertale and in my opinion it's a better game series and has a better fanbase.

Overwatch

Let me first start by saying that I actually loved this game for a time, and I even still go back to it occasionally, but this isn't a thread about games we hate its a thread about games we think are overrated. I think that there are a lot of people that put a lot of stock into overwatch and they hype it up a lot, but when it comes down to it, it can be a really hard game to learn for beginners and has an extremely toxic community to it, both of those things are bad for a game that is purely multiplayer (and I would just as soon say the same thing about games like League of Legends).

It does have some great elements to it like character design and aesthetics but I still stand by it being overrated.

Overwatch

Let me first start by saying that I actually loved this game for a time, and I even still go back to it occasionally, but this isn't a thread about games we hate its a thread about games we think are overrated. I think that there are a lot of people that put a lot of stock into overwatch and they hype it up a lot, but when it comes down to it, it can be a really hard game to learn for beginners and has an extremely toxic community to it, both of those things are bad for a game that is purely multiplayer (and I would just as soon say the same thing about games like League of Legends).

It does have some great elements to it like character design and aesthetics but I still stand by it being overrated.

Perhaps I'm biased since I do play it, but I do enjoy Overwatch a lot. It's definitely one of the best games of its genre. Team Fortress 2 is about the only one I can think of that is better, but I haven't been able to play it in years due to a lack of a proper gaming computer. Overwatch on console is a wonderful alternative.

among us, but only because I've played Town of Salem for years and it feels like the current crowd for the game doesn't take it as seriously as some people want it. I like the concept a lot, but I guess I'm just annoyed by the current player base.

as said previously, i think among us is overhyped.

yeah, it's fun, but there are games with way more lore and detail. it's good that the game is getting attention because programming that whole thing to have 10 people play it would be atrocious, but i think the hype it currently has is over the top.

I really think that Among Us was really overrated. Like once it became popular, that's all YouTubers would do. They would base all of their videos onto this one thing and it eventually kind of got boring. I really do think that part of the reason that Among Us kinda died was because of how overrated it was. I don't know, this is just my opinion. : /

I really think that Among Us was really overrated. Like once it became popular, that's all YouTubers would do. They would base all of their videos onto this one thing and it eventually kind of got boring. I really do think that part of the reason that Among Us kinda died was because of how overrated it was. I don't know, this is just my opinion. : /

I find it kind of odd how it didn't even become popular until like a year after it came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back