In Desperate Need of a Solution

Riolux

Umbreon? More like DUMBreon!
So I'm in the middle of a group roleplay when one of the members suddenly vanished during a conversation with my character. Since I'm the one running it, I can't do anything to move it forwards due to my character being locked. I want to continue, but I don't want to cut the other person out entirely, as they do quality posts and are generally nice, never doing anything wrong besides this extended absence. However, I don't want to let this kill the RP in case the extended absence continues to persist. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impose a deadline after which you will take temporary control of the character, if the player come back, he'll take his character back, if he doesn't, you keep it.

Without a link to the RP in question, I'd just say find an excuse for your character to wander off. In real life, it's awkward because of the potential for insult, but the other player should understand if they've been out for a while and gloss over any insult their character feels.

Have your character excuse herself to go to the bathroom. It works for real life conversations.

@Lil Carnage the problem with that is that I fear I wouldn't be able to do their character justice and would hate to botch it up in a way that makes them unintentionally act out of character, and it doesn't really work out all that well if the absence continues.

@RatFlail I edited in a link to the RP. The conversation wasn't exactly initiated in the normal manner. (on page 3 btw)

Last edited by a moderator:
one solution I do is create an NPC situation. Create an NPC that serves the needs of the plot. The specifics of this would be decided by what your intended plot is.

Worst case scenario, perhaps you could have a time-skip? Whether you time-skip the interaction itself (and inform the other roleplayer that you'll OOC invent the rest of the interaction with them when they're next online) or time skip the entire group? Or you could just force your character to suddenly have to leave? Imagine a scenario that would have your character abruptly leaving, and then enact it. Perhaps it's a 'I completely forgot that so-and-so was meeting with me today. I was meant to catch up with them half an hour ago, sorry, but I have to run?' Or create an emergency that wouldn't interfere with the plot for too long...

Good luck though.  Maybe establish a set waiting period (by which the end of, you'll exercise your right to keep the roleplay moving), so that if this situation ever crops up in this roleplay again or in any others, so everyone knows how things will pan out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back