Chitchat I’m a dog groomer - AMA

TaperedNightjar

Earth-bound Misfit
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Are these allowed? 😅
I thought it could be fun. I’m a dog groomer, ask me anything!
Other jobs I have had that you can ask me about...
  • Starbucks barista
  • Wendy‘s key holder
  • Substitute teacher (pre-k through grade twelve): Preference was middle school.
  • Camp counselor (5 summers): Director of Outdoor Living Skills, hiking, and nature. Director of Counselors in Training, kitchen assistant, remote and wilderness first aid, small craft rescue, low ropes/team building director.

How do you keep dogs from smelling bad?
Dogs should be bathed at least once a month. A good brushing daily with brush spray also helps. Always spray them before brushing to prevent dead ends, coat damage, and mats.

How do you not cut their little ears when cutting their ear hairs? I know I have a little Yorkie whose ears are moving around all the time, and they usually flinch because they’re sensitive when you put something near it.

How do you make such a precise hair cut on the ears without cutting the ear itself? Do you hold on to their ears?

Just a random question I thought I’d add.

How do you not cut their little ears when cutting their ear hairs? I know I have a little Yorkie whose ears are moving around all the time, and they usually flinch because they’re sensitive when you put something near it.

How do you make such a precise hair cut on the ears without cutting the ear itself? Do you hold on to their ears?

Just a random question I thought I’d add.
1. It depends how their behavior is really. If they are very reactive I will generally just trim as much as they let me and then I tag out. My boss has many many years on me, so if I cant do something due to a dog's behavior she can usually get it done. It's definitely something that comes with time. I am for sure more comfortable now handling dogs with different personalities than I was when I first started. Dogs that are super wiggly for their faces though? I will put in my best effort, but I wont risk it if it's too dangerous. There are some dogs we send home looking a little untidy because we just end up doing "comfort grooms" depending on how they are acting (aggression for example).

2. With yorkies they get the end of their ears "tipped" usually. I use a #10 blade to do this. I keep my fingers pressed under the ear leather for stability when I shave it. Then when I tidy up the edges of that area I "pinch" the leathers between my finger tips. This way if I miss my mark I cut myself and not the dog. For the longer parts of the ears I try not to touch them because it can mess up the pattern, so I just wait for the dog to be still and then I trim as quickly and safely as I can. Shears should always point downward toward the jaw when trimming ears. The opposite direction can have horrible results.

Any tips for trimming dog’s nails? I always try to calm my puppers down with calming music and try to cut them as slowly and carefully so as not to hurt them, but they’re very squirmy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back