• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom If I had a Heart

Carmen had finished preparations with the staff an hour ago and had since been trying to find her husband with no luck. They were having a large gathering at their town for the sons of Ragnar and her father in law, Harald. She both loved and loathed these nights. There’s was nearly always tension in the air and since falling pregnant she was more worried about safety than anything. Finally she had located Aaron talking to someone down by the waters edge, making her way down there and waiting until they parted company. “Everything is ready.” She smiled, taking his arm as they walked.

Ivar was bored senseless. They had been on the road for three days and it would be another several hours before they made it to the Haraldson settlement. So in true Ivar fashion he had taken to entertaining himself by pissing off the people around him, going through all of his brothers until he caught up to his servant, throwing little stones at her every few seconds.

Aaron gave a wide smile when he saw his wife come towards him. He finished up his conversation hurriedly before turning his attention to her. Though she was barely showing at all, he was excited to welcome their first child, he had prayed to the gods for quite sometime to bless them with one. Now he prayed that it would be a son. He walked along their small pathes with her and nodded some "Good, and how are you feeling?" He asked gently. It was no secret that Aaron was madly in love with his wife, she was his soft spot and he always did his best to treat her like she were a norse goddess.

Maxine sat in the back of the buggy with Ivar giving a heavy sigh. She'd been a servant or slave for years now. It all happened when her father decided to take their family on a raid to Northumbria. Thinking they would conquer it, he had wanted to move them there. Unfortunately, no one had survived, and she had been taken captive by their army. When the son's of Ragnar had invaded though to avenge their father she saw a glimmer of hope, thinking maybe she could be set free by her people. But alas, they only saw her as a servant still, and so here she was, taking care of the youngest son. She gave a frowned when she felt pebbles being thrown at her and glanced at Ivar knowing she could not say anything.

Carmen smiled a little and nodded "Well your child let me eat today so good." She told him, “The only one I worry about is Ivar. Him and your father have the most complicated relationship and I just don’t want you to end up stuck in the middle.” She told him quietly as she just followed him around town. He’d been busier than ever since becoming jarl and she felt like they didn’t have much time with each other anymore.

Ivar chuckled some and threw a few more until she finally turned around. “Oh don’t be like that Maxine. I’m bored. Entertain me.” He told her, giving her the same look he always did when he was being deliberately difficult.

Aaron smiled happily at her and nodded some "I will handle Ivar if it is needed. Ubbe will be there as well, he can keep him under control as well." He said softly before giving a heavy sigh. He was proud to be the jarl of their town, but he was becoming rundown as well. He wanted time with his wife and away from the world.

Maxine moved to where her back was facing him once she felt a pebble hit her face. She glanced back at him as he spoke and gave a small nod "What would you like my lord?" She asked quietly frowning when he tugged her arm harshly towards him. She moved as quickly as she could to sit beside him giving a heavy sigh.

She nodded and stepped into the long house, going through to their rooms and shut the door behind them, getting him to take a seat while she kneeled behind him, massaging the knots out of his shoulders. “I want to come with you… when you make the trip to Kattegat.” She told him.

Ivar smirked a little and leaned back, laying an arm behind her shoulders. “That is a little better though it is still not entertainment.” He smirked but frowned when his own brother piped up for him to cut it out. “Ubbe you have been no fun since father died…. You should relax. Loosen up. Take a woman or maybe three and you would feel much better”

Aaron sat on their bed and shed himself of his furs giving a small sigh as he hunched over. He gave a soft groan as he felt her nimble fingers work into his back. He shook his head though at her request "No...Kattegat is a dangerous place, I do not want you and our child there." He said seriously to her.

Ubbe frowned as he continued to listen to his youngest brother "Ivar. Leave the girl alone." His deep raspy voice said before rolling his eyes.

The rest of the ride had been long but Ivar had thankfully cut out his antics. Maxine got out of the cart before him as they arrived but waited by his side incase he needed any kind of help getting down.

She frowned and moved to have him face her "Not for me... If you were married to an outsider yes but the sons of Ragnar would make sure I was safe." She told him quietly and kissed him gently, "It would make me feel a lot safer than waiting for you to come home. The raids are bad enough having no word for months." She muttered, kissing him again but looked up when one of his men came to say the guests had arrived, getting up and waiting for him to be ready, following him quietly.

Ivar muttered under his breath but sat still the rest of the time, getting down with some difficulty even though help was available. He would nearly always decline it if they weren't in their own hall. "Aaron Bloody Axe Haraldson.... It is a pleasure to finally meet you." He told the man stood by his long house, noting the woman stood next to him was holding her belly but said nothing of it for now. "We thank you for holding this feast in your town so as we could meet your father halfway between territories.' He smiled, using his crutch to make his way over

Aaron gave a heavy sigh but nodded softly "I will think about it okay?" He said softly after his men had left them. He kissed her gently before he got himself presentable and walked out to the front of their home. He plastered on a smile as Ivar spoke "You must be Ivar, the pleasure is mine to host your family." He said graciously before extending his hand to not only Ivar but his brothers as well. He had met Ubbe multiple times, Hvitserk only a handful as well as Sigurd. He brought Carmen to his side after greeting them and introduced her as well "This is my beautiful wife Carmen, please let her know if you need something with your sleeping accomidations."

Maxine followed behind Ivar noting how heavily he was leaning on his crutch. He would definitely need some of her herbal remedies to help the pain tonight. She stayed quiet as the host introduced himself and his wife. Though when they made their way inside she gave a small curtsey to the woman "Thank you for having us." She said quietly before quickly hurrying inside to keep tabs on Ivar.

Carmen stood next to him and nodded to them all until it was only her Aaron and Ubbe left out there, hugging her old friend tightly, "How has Kattegat been treating you since the England raids?" She asked him while Aaron had excused himself to go handle a few more problems around town that would keep him busy until the feast tonight "Have you heard the news? I am with child." She told him happily as she led him through to the room he would be staying in. The two of them growing up had both always wanted large families. They had talked at length many times about having it with each other despite the norns leading them to different paths and she was excited to be starting hers finally.

Ivar frowned and made hins way inside, following one of the servants through to his room and sending them away before falling onto the bed and hissing in pain. "Hurry up." He muttered to Maxine, gritting his teeth and holding the furs on the bed tightly to avoid striking her while she sorted out his legs. "That fire has barely been started. They expect me to be in a cold room?" He snapped a little

Ubbe gave a huge smile to Carmen "Things are not all there, I will need to speak with Aaron on it." He explained before smiling wider when she mentioned a child and his hands instantly went to her stomach. "A child?! By all the gods, I hope they bless you with health, strength, and happieness." He said sincerly. He had always loved her, since they were kids in fact. Sadly life and the god had other plans, but he would always have a place for in his heart.

Maxine got to Ivar's room and sighed quietly "I will tend to it. Make sure that it is big enough." She said softly before kneeling infront of him. She gently took his braces off and helped him lay in bed. Afterwards she tended to the fire as promised and soon started sorting through her small pouch to make the herbal rememdies he would need

She smiled and nodded. “That is the hope….” She trailed off hearing the pained yells. “How is Ivars temper these days?” She asked him quietly, opening the door to his room and letting him inside.

Ivar watched her frowning. “What did you say to the Jarls wife as we came in?” He questioned her, yelling out when she knocked into his legs by accident. “Careless!” He hissed at her

Ubbe walked inside with her and frowned when he heard his brother's pained wails. He sighed heavily and shook his head some "I did not think it could get worse, but he is not well. It is as though every day is a new challenge. We do not know if we will get Ivar the annoying or Ivar the mar man." He explained quietly to her.

Maxine walked past him and barely hit his legs gasping as he yelled "I'm sorry my lord, please forgive me!" She pleaded before dropping to her knees for forgiveness a custom she had learned in England. She got up once he said to and quickly started on her rememdies "I thanked her for welcoming us into her home." She explained quietly when he asked again what she had said to the Jarl's wife.

He frowned and shook his head. “You should be glad she is kind. Others wouldn’t like you speaking to them at all, she is different… you are permitted to sit with us this evening but watch your tongue.” He warned her, starting to get some rest for now until the evening.

Carmen sighed but nodded “I will leave you to it for now. If you or your brothers need anything just ask.” She told him and gave his arm a squeeze. “It is good to see you Ubbe.” She smiled and made her way to her own room to lay down for a short time until she heard her father-in-laws booming voice, sighing to herself and got up to go greet him. “Harald. Your son is somewhere in town sorting out the peoples problems.” She told him

Harald stormed into the long house smiling widely "Greetings everyone!" He called loudly. He opened his arms wide when seeing Carmen come out "Ah, there she is, my beautiful daughter!" He called before frowning softly when she said Aaron was out helping the people. "And he did not think to be here and greet his father? Well, that is alright, he is doing what a good Jarl should." He said a bit bitterly

Maxine gave a small nod "Yes my lord." She said softly before letting him rest. She gently shook him awake hours later after Hvitserk had told her the feast would be starting. She frowned some when his blue eyes shot open staring directly at her "Your brother....he told me to wake you. The feast will be starting soon." She said quietly before grabbing her remedies "I made this for you to drink, it will help the pain."

She smiled and took him through to his room they always had set aside for him, having someone fetch him a drink as well, “I’ll let him know you’re here.” She told him, leaving him to get settled and went to find Aaron. “Your father is here. He’s not in a very good mood.” She told him when she found him at the blacksmiths, “We should start getting ready love.” She told him quietly.

Ivar glared at her and just shook his head, moving carefully to get up and took the drink, washing it down immediately with a cup of ale. He couldn’t deny that they worked but they certainly tasted awful.

Aaron looked over when he heard his wife's voice frowning some "Thank you for greeting him. I will speak to him later." He murmured before saying goodbye to the Blacksmith and walking with her. It was no secret that he had a terrible relationship with his father, he outright loathed the man, but he knew a relationship of some sort was needed to make their village prosper.

Maxine handed him a cup of Ale after knowing it would help wash down the taste. She went to grab his braces and gave a small sigh "Would you like for me to place these on you now?" She asked softly

She nodded and followed him back home, sitting at the edge of their bed while he got himself changed and ready for the evening. “Ubbe says that Ivar is very unpredictable at the moment,” she told him quietly

“I don’t want you to but I can do it myself.” He muttered, taking them from her a little forcefully, getting them on with some difficulty and finally got up carefully to head out to the hall.

Aaron watched her some as he got into his more shirt and furs. He gave a heavy sigh and shook his head some "Stay by my side, I want you to stay far from him." He said quietly before going over to her and kissing her lovingly "Tonight will be okay, do not stress." He said softly

Maxine frowned as he yanked them from her but nodded silently. She handed him his crutches once he had the braces on. She dusted off her dress and sighed softly following him out when he asked.

She nodded and held onto his waist and kissed his nose. “Mmm… I love you.” She told him quietly, patting his chest then took his arm to head out into the hall

Ivar immediately went to find Hvitserk and sat next to him. “Harald looks to be in a good mood. He shouldn’t be after the news we gave him last week.” He muttered

Aaron smiled softly at her "I love you too." He said quietly before walking out with her. He waved to everyone who was in the hall already and sat at his throne with her beside him.

Hvitserk looked to his brother and gave a nod watching Maxine sit behind them. He sighed heavily and gulped down his ale "Something is wrong, I do not know what it is, but something is wrong." He muttered watching Harald as he made his way around greeting everyone.

He frowned and nodded a little, leaning back and watching everyone carefully, looking to Aaron sat at the head of the table, waiting patiently for Harald to take a seat on the other side of the jarl's wife. "So.... What has got you so happy? After the news that we would not be putting you forward as our vote for King... I was expecting you to not show up here." He called up the table to him, a few ales deep now that food was being brought round.

Carmen frowned and tensed a little as Ivar's voice cut through the chatter and an uncomfortab;e silence fell around the table. She had her father-in-law's hand on her arm though so she couldn't exactly move but she looked to her husband confused, wondering if he knew about this already or whether he was just as clueless as she was.

Harald's smile faded as Ivar spoke and he tensed up a bit "It must not be in the god's plans!" He called before laughing happily. He was beyond furious that his name had been declined, but he had his ways, he would soon make himself King of all Norway.

Hvitserk sat happily eating with the men but frowned when Ivar piped up "Ivar." He said in a low warning tone while Ubbe also sent him a disapproving look. 'Let us not talk of politics here, this is a feast! A time for good will and happieness!' He heard his other brother say to try and break the awkward silence that had fallen over the hall.

Carmen frowned and looked to Aaron once things had settled again, "So what will we be naming our son?" She asked him quietly, sure that it was a boy.

Ivar just shrugged "I only ask." He told him, going back to his plate of food, allowing chatter to fill the room once more and he just watched everyone in silence, always observing every detail in behaviours, very aware o fUbbe watching him like a hawk and eventually Ivar was ready for more mischief "Really Harald, you should be takign it as the biggest insult. To be shunned by the sons of Ragnar... I would understand if you disappeared into the mountains and never showed your face again." He spat, taking the jug of ale and going to refill his cup, glancing at Max and nodded towards it "Empty, fetch another." He told her

Aaron smiled softly at her as the room filled with chatter again "Freyr, I have always liked the name." He said softly to her before kissing the side of her head "Would you like that name?"

Harald frowned deeply as Ivar started his antics again "And what is for me to be insulted by the likes of you? From what I remember, Ubbe and Bjorn have high respect for me as did your father." He called smirking a bit at the younger man "I think you are more upset that you did not even get a mention."

Maxine got up and hurriedly too the jug to go replenish the ale for them. She came back quickly and poured him another cup just watching the encounter intently between him and Harald.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back