Advice/Help I have trouble paying attention and getting invested in RPs. Any advice on what to do about that?

Auran

Fuckin' dying.
Hey everyone.

This is basically my first post here other than an introduction, so bare with me.

I've been roleplaying for quite a few years, in multiple mediums (mostly Discord). And now I'm trying to get into forum RPs. Fortunately I have a friend who frequents a particular one that interests me and such. Problem is I basically have to read 40 pages of stuff to be able to catch up and actually post.

Now as far as I don't know I don't suffer from any sort of condition that prevents me from paying attention to things, however I personally find it quite hard to read a bunch of text like that (be it roleplaying, a story or otherwise). Not to mention I don't exactly have the patience to do stuff like read one page per day.

As such, I've become desperate enough to ask random strangers for help on this issue I'm having. How do you all manage to keep invested in stuff, and if you have ever been in a situation similar to mine, what did you do to be able to pay attention to everything without just giving up entirely?

Thanks in advance.
- Auran

If your new I would not suggest joining a roleplay that is that far in. It will be very hard to get your character into the action and it might be difficult to keep up with everyone else.

I would look at the interest checks ( Looking for Group for groups AND Looking for Partners for 1x1s). If your worried about being left behind I would recommend starting with a 1x1 first. Maybe with your friend who has interests that line up with yours?

Or if you feel more comfortable in groups I would look at one that hasn't started up yet and has a slow posting schedule. Something you think you can keep up with easily.

I have two things to tell you. First is pretty much what rae2nerdy rae2nerdy told ya: You're looking in the wrong section. You join new RPs not ongoing ones, and to do that, you through interest checks not existing roleplays. Only exception would be joining a roleplay for a friend or if you want to join a hosted project, but those are fringe cases.

Now leaving the already scouted lands, is my second piece of advice. Once you're looking in the right section, there is only one way to improve your attention span: diligent practice. You have to make yourself write when you don't necessarily feel like it, you have to establish ever-increasing but achievable goals for yourself. I know it's not pretty sounding or easy, but if you want to bring serious improvement to your mentality or instincts only diligence and good habits will work.

If your new I would not suggest joining a roleplay that is that far in. It will be very hard to get your character into the action and it might be difficult to keep up with everyone else.

I would look at the interest checks ( Looking for Group for groups AND Looking for Partners for 1x1s). If your worried about being left behind I would recommend starting with a 1x1 first. Maybe with your friend who has interests that line up with yours?

Or if you feel more comfortable in groups I would look at one that hasn't started up yet and has a slow posting schedule. Something you think you can keep up with easily.

Figured that much. I ended up joining and leaving the RP's Discord like 3 times already, all of them induced by Ferociousfeind Ferociousfeind (dammit Ceph I told you this wasn't a good idea)

Well, thanks for the advice I guess.

I promised I would make a better roleplayer out of you, Auran! And I'm sticking to that promise.

I have two things to tell you. First is pretty much what rae2nerdy rae2nerdy told ya: You're looking in the wrong section. You join new RPs not ongoing ones, and to do that, you through interest checks not existing roleplays. Only exception would be joining a roleplay for a friend or if you want to join a hosted project, but those are fringe cases.

Now leaving the already scouted lands, is my second piece of advice. Once you're looking in the right section, there is only one way to improve your attention span: diligent practice. You have to make yourself write when you don't necessarily feel like it, you have to establish ever-increasing but achievable goals for yourself. I know it's not pretty sounding or easy, but if you want to bring serious improvement to your mentality or instincts only diligence and good habits will work.

As previously mentioned, I was in fact joining for a friend.

Anyways... Alright, I guess I can try the whole diligence thing. Thanks.

I promised I would make a better roleplayer out of you, Auran! And I'm sticking to that promise.
Geez this thing showed up when I was typing my last reply... Thought I would have to refresh the page for stuff like this to show up haha. Technology has gone a far way.

Could always ask someone in the 40 page rp to sum it up a bit.

“Page 1 to 5 is bob talking to Ella while joe evasdrops,
Page 10 to 12 is a fight joe wins...” etc

Could join a rp that hasn’t blown ahead aha idk.

Could always ask someone in the 40 page rp to sum it up a bit.

“Page 1 to 5 is bob talking to Ella while joe evasdrops,
Page 10 to 12 is a fight joe wins...” etc

Could join a rp that hasn’t blown ahead aha idk.
Eh, to be honest I've kinda been hesitating to join this particular RP for a few months by now. My friend's just too stubborn for their own good haha

Eh, to be honest I've kinda been hesitating to join this particular RP for a few months by now. My friend's just too stubborn for their own good haha
Then don’t join it, apologise to your friend saying you don’t want to join that much and that you are looking for one you are more keen on.
Maybe they will join you in looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back