• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern I have no idea for a name but anyone interested in a card game Rp?

Archdemon

Some random dude on the Internet
Hello! I've been getting back into card games as of late, mainly stuff like Yu Gi Oh and/or Cardfight vanguard. The Rp idea isn't much of a fandom but is based on some of the things in these card games. I don't have a name for this card game but I'll have you guys decide that.

I shall kinda explain what'll happen, in this particular Rp each player will wield a deck of monster cards with their own stats and abilities. There are many different monster series like say a pirate series where each of the cards are related to pirates in some ways like say a flying man of war ship. Each player will have a custom deck to suit their needs and their very own avatar which is a personal unit they summon into battle. These sometimes aren't their strongest units but they are the most useful. Each card type ((Pirate, dragon, demon, Angel, Etc..)) has their own weaknesses against other types so you have to play smart with your cards. Each player will have a visualizer in battle to see their own cards in action.

This Rp will have some Dice rolling in it just to play it out on luck. The dice will only affect one thing about a player and that is their luck in drawing useful cards/cards they need to win so higher is always better.

I have a feeling that I could do way more with rules for the card game so I shall ask you people who are interested to give out ideas to balance this Rp out. I also need a name for it! If you have any ideas or are curious about something or are confused on something please let me know so that I can explain better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea from @TheJipan:

First of all, I'd like to point out that most card games have between 40 and 60 cards as the decks size, with the limit per card being 3/4.

If we were going to go for a rank system, I would probably go for:

1xS

2xA

5xB

7xC

10xD

15xE

for a 40 card deck, with the maximum number of copies of each card being 4.

The most difficult part about this RP would be coming up with and vetting the cards, so the RP can be played fairly. This system would require 12 unique cards to be created per player.

As for drawing cards, you would have to have a numbered deck list which is used, along with a die roll, to decide which card is drawn, and would keep track of which cards are left in the deck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea from @Tzun:

The system with ranks for cards and a percentile die is clever, and works out well enough, letting players be a little more strategic with their actions. So, let me throw out the idea I had as far as this goes, seeing as how I've tried to make several rps akin to this in the past, I've thought about it a lot.

Any instance of the word "tome" refers to deck. A card was used as a "page" of the tome. The Living Grimoires, they were called, and would randomly chance to certain page sets, and only of those pages could the player cast spells. All card actions are considered spells, but are broken into different categories, such as traditional -casting-, -summoning-, -ritual-, -sacrifice-, and more.

U (No percentile to roll, gotten and played first turn, this is the player's unique avatar. Does not count as being in the tome.)

M (Special cards that have a very powerful ability. 1 allowed per tome.)99-100 2%

A 86-98 13% (4 allowed per tome.)

B 71-85 15% (5 allowed per tome.)

C 51-70 20% (10 allowed per tome.)

D 31-50 20% (10 allowed per tome.)

E 1-30 30% (20 per tome.)

The player rolls a percentile die, and is allowed to choose a card from that ranking. All cards are available to see for all players, but there is no "luck of the draw" on "luck of the dice" for a chance for things to go right, but still that chance to be strategic with what you have available to you.

A limit of 3 cards in hand is allowed. Players can play cards immediately as drawn, or keep them. Cards that are drawn and not played immediately if a hand is full, are burned. Players can then continue with their turn. But, if the player draws a card that they wish to 'script', they put a card back into their tome, and exchange it with the one that was just drawn.

I have a way to generate cards, and an eye for mechanics. If you'd like to see some of my work, I'd love to send it to you, so you can get a visual understanding of what they would look like. (Sorry, this is a pseudo-request to be a gm- post)

Players started with a total of 50 hp, and could not go past their limit unless a card specified otherwise.

Only one card is player per turn per player, unless another card says otherwise, such as the -chain- effect.

A turn is whenever a singular player is at least -able- to take an action, but does not have to.

A round on the other hand, is when it is your action once more, ie, you take a turn, and all other players take a turn, then it is your turn once more. That is a round.

This was also very medieval-fantasy ish. Dragons, angels, demons, mortal fighters, etc.

Players would choose who they were attacking, the player's avatar (who has the 50 hp) or one of the player's summons.

There were 2 different 'rp' threads. One was for the GM's and players to choose what they cast, and at who, and different thread, where the rp would take place. Examples

RP Thread

P1: I flip frantically through the pages of the tome that have been revealed to me, my avatar smashes its fists on the ground, tremors of power shake the battlefield. Until finally, I find just the page. A lightning bolt to lower the defenses of his line.

I raise my grimoire into the air, and allow the storms to rise and brew from my book, darkening the arena to almost a pitch black. All are buffeted by winds, yet they are resistible, unlike the electric smell that looms all around us. Finally, in a brilliant flash of lights, the clouds vanish into nothing, and a smoldering ash is left on the ground where a man in full armor once stood.

Duel Thread

P1: (Rolls a 47) I choose my lightning bolt cast from Rank D, and use it on P2's Mortal Knight.

Thanks for the opportunity, really hyped.

I actually got kinda bored and started playing around with my editor again. Here are some ideas as to how the spells and avatars looked when I had my idea.

http://imgur.com/86SMwTB - Avatar Template

http://imgur.com/9clfwdl - Spell Template

Last edited by a moderator:
#1. Don't be scared ILY.

#2. I would love to do this but I have no idea how I would and would love to try this with you

Th

MysticTrinket said:
#1. Don't be scared ILY.
#2. I would love to do this but I have no idea how I would and would love to try this with you
thanks!

Right now we are just thinking about ideas on how to make this Rp balanced so that we don't have OP players. Also we need a name for the Rp as well, the name is going to be something that sounds like a card game.

How about using some kind of percentile dice system? Cards could be ranked A to E, with only one A, two B and so on until five E rank cards. That makes a total of 15 cards for a player to choose. Say, roll a d100. 0-20 could be an E rank, with 80-100 an A rank card. The game could last for 10 turns (or another figure).

A name should be too much of a concern. Alliteration is always good for these sorts of things... how about, "Maverick Monsters", or something?

First of all, I'd like to point out that most card games have between 40 and 60 cards as the decks size, with the limit per card being 3/4.

If we were going to go for a rank system, I would probably go for:

1xS

2xA

5xB

7xC

10xD

15xE

for a 40 card deck, with the maximum number of copies of each card being 4.

The most difficult part about this RP would be coming up with and vetting the cards, so the RP can be played fairly. This system would require 12 unique cards to be created per player.

As for drawing cards, you would have to have a numbered deck list which is used, along with a die roll, to decide which card is drawn, and would keep track of which cards are left in the deck.

BTW I am a huge fan of card games and would love to see this RP work.

You make a good point. I was trying to introduce a simplified version initially for play-testing. Speaking of the card list, it could be more fun (suspenseful) if those who are duelling, summit their list to a GM prior to the battle, so the opposing player is not aware of all the cards.

I. Love. Card. Games.

If you would be so kind to let me GM and churn out some cards, I absolutely adore this!

The system with ranks for cards and a percentile die is clever, and works out well enough, letting players be a little more strategic with their actions. So, let me throw out the idea I had as far as this goes, seeing as how I've tried to make several rps akin to this in the past, I've thought about it a lot.

Any instance of the word "tome" refers to deck. A card was used as a "page" of the tome. The Living Grimoires, they were called, and would randomly chance to certain page sets, and only of those pages could the player cast spells. All card actions are considered spells, but are broken into different categories, such as traditional -casting-, -summoning-, -ritual-, -sacrifice-, and more.

U (No percentile to roll, gotten and played first turn, this is the player's unique avatar. Does not count as being in the tome.)

M (Special cards that have a very powerful ability. 1 allowed per tome.)99-100 2%

A 86-98 13% (4 allowed per tome.)

B 71-85 15% (5 allowed per tome.)

C 51-70 20% (10 allowed per tome.)

D 31-50 20% (10 allowed per tome.)

E 1-30 30% (20 per tome.)

The player rolls a percentile die, and is allowed to choose a card from that ranking. All cards are available to see for all players, but there is no "luck of the draw" on "luck of the dice" for a chance for things to go right, but still that chance to be strategic with what you have available to you.

A limit of 3 cards in hand is allowed. Players can play cards immediately as drawn, or keep them. Cards that are drawn and not played immediately if a hand is full, are burned. Players can then continue with their turn. But, if the player draws a card that they wish to 'script', they put a card back into their tome, and exchange it with the one that was just drawn.

I have a way to generate cards, and an eye for mechanics. If you'd like to see some of my work, I'd love to send it to you, so you can get a visual understanding of what they would look like. (Sorry, this is a pseudo-request to be a gm- post)

Players started with a total of 50 hp, and could not go past their limit unless a card specified otherwise.

Only one card is player per turn per player, unless another card says otherwise, such as the -chain- effect.

A turn is whenever a singular player is at least -able- to take an action, but does not have to.

A round on the other hand, is when it is your action once more, ie, you take a turn, and all other players take a turn, then it is your turn once more. That is a round.

This was also very medieval-fantasy ish. Dragons, angels, demons, mortal fighters, etc.

Players would choose who they were attacking, the player's avatar (who has the 50 hp) or one of the player's summons.

There were 2 different 'rp' threads. One was for the GM's and players to choose what they cast, and at who, and different thread, where the rp would take place. Examples

RP Thread

P1: I flip frantically through the pages of the tome that have been revealed to me, my avatar smashes its fists on the ground, tremors of power shake the battlefield. Until finally, I find just the page. A lightning bolt to lower the defenses of his line.

I raise my grimoire into the air, and allow the storms to rise and brew from my book, darkening the arena to almost a pitch black. All are buffeted by winds, yet they are resistible, unlike the electric smell that looms all around us. Finally, in a brilliant flash of lights, the clouds vanish into nothing, and a smoldering ash is left on the ground where a man in full armor once stood.

Duel Thread

P1: (Rolls a 47) I choose my lightning bolt cast from Rank D, and use it on P2's Mortal Knight.

Thanks for the opportunity, really hyped.

I actually got kinda bored and started playing around with my editor again. Here are some ideas as to how the spells and avatars looked when I had my idea.

http://imgur.com/86SMwTB - Avatar Template

http://imgur.com/9clfwdl - Spell Template

That seems like an... Interesting... Idea. It also seems like a very western card game, from the comparatively low numbers used to the more realistic art styles - personally, I'm more interested in eastern card games, with higher numbers and less realistic art styles.

On a mechanics note, one of the main appeals I find with card games is seeing what you can do with the cards you are dealt - which works better with a purely luck of the draw and larger hand - rather than essentially being able to choose the specific card from your deck which suits the situation. I do, however, like the idea of having an 'avatar' or whatever you want to call it. As for the 'one action per turn' thing, I can see why you might have such a mechanic, but I believe that having cards that can be activated on your opponent's turn has the same effect, and allows players to pull off more interesting combos on their turn.

It seems like it might have faded a little. If it does, I've thrown up an interest check and started working on something very similar, with fleshed out mechanics and over twenty or so cards finished already if that's your kinda thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back