• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
"Cassandra."

"Riberta."

The pair exchanged their singular word greetings, gazing at one another while Jakob spoke to Camille. The two had known of one another for quite a long time, and had worked together during their time in the Abyss during the Beaumont Mission. Both were victims of Sazak's mechanations, both being used for his own gain.

Riberta already knew Rebecca having met her before when those in Eternis were attempting to first locate the godly relics. And she already knew some of the others. Azathor, Takato, and Camille. The infernal cowboy, the werebat, and the Daristeinian were new to her.

She looked to Sebastian first, and gave him a simple wave and a "Guten Abend." Then, her attention shifted to the others. "Undite sought me out, and requested I aid you during your stay here in Daristein. I brought your horses, and some supplies and ammunition. The armorer, who's name escapes me at the moment, also sent some gifts. They're in a black satchel on one of the horses."

As Riberta spoke to the others, Rebecca found herself talking to Jakob.

"...Valeria, I guess, your great-great-great-great-great granddaughter sent me a letter. She told me everything. I came here to help. I was involved with the Grimtham incident and a part of the Beaumont mission. I feel... indebted to your descendant, and to many of the people I've met through both the Inquiry and the Mission. I'm here to make amends, for those who are still with us..." he spoke, eyeing Cassandra for a moment. "... and those who are no longer among us."

Rebecca smiled as she stood. "Valeria spoke fondly of you, as she tended to do of all those involved in the Grimtham incident." she responded, "It would be an honor to have you join us, sir."

She looked to Sebastian first, and gave him a simple wave and a "Guten Abend."

Sebastian gave a polite nod, although he clearly wasn't fully comfortable with the hybrid. "Guten Abend," he replied quietly.

Riberta then spoke of the gifts provided which were carried by each of their horses. Sebastian was happy to see Dantès again, but he cringed a bit at the thought of throwing even more weight onto the animal's back when it would already need to carry him, his pack, and all of his weapons. Still, his curiosity was strong, and he soon located the black satchel Riberta spoke of. Inside, each gift was tagged for a particular member of the group, and Sebastian's turned out to be an odd sort of weapon.

"It's... It's a harpoon gun?' he said, picking up the brass, rifle-shaped contraption and one of the matching missiles also in the bundle. The tip of the harpoon was barbed, of course, but there was something else. Sebastian's eyes went wide and he began to laugh. "The way this is made... Are these explosive!?" he asked, incredulous. "They sent me a an explosive-harpoon gun?"

"Valeria spoke fondly of you, as she tended to do of all those involved in the Grimtham incident." she responded, "It would be an honor to have you join us, sir."

"Much obliged ma'am." Jakob said, tipping his hat at the saintly woman. "So what's the current situation, ma'am? Where are we heading specifically?" Jakob then looked at his detectives and the Gravedigger. "While I trust the abilities of my agents, I've instructed them to get outta dodge should things get heavy." He then turned his attention back to the saint. "Are things going to get heavy, ma'am?"

"The way this is made... Are these explosive!?" he asked, incredulous. "They sent me a an explosive-harpoon gun?"

Billy, one of the detectives from Jakobs group, whistled upon seeing Sebastien hold the unique harpoon gun. "Ain't that a beaut? Hell if ya don't want it Hans, I'll take it off yer hands with pleasure! Imagine all of 'em evil vampire you can kill with that thing!" as Billy oozed with love for the harpoon gun, the other two detectives looked at Constantine with both curiosity and suspicion, the Gravedigger though, gave the wraith a respectful nod.

Camille maintained her serious gaze as Jakob made his intentions clear, performing a stern nod of agreement. It was good that he was here, as the huntress knew what Sazak had taken from him. His determination to see this through could not be brought into question, and she was glad to have another with personal motivations in this. While the fate of the world over is personal in a sense, there were egregious acts that the sadistic demon had to answer for.

As Jakob introduced himself, she started to stride toward the other newcomers before the mention of 'gifts' from the armorer were brought up. Yet for the moment she did not seem to be all that concerned with new kit, her emerald eyes instead shined up to the towering woman that had brought jakob to the group.

"Bonne soirée," Camille spoke up to the hybrid. "I do not remember if I ever formally thanked you for saving my idiot husband's life. He told me that he was ready to kill Sazak in the Abyss but getting him to admit that you dragged him out of there kicking and screaming was like an interrogation. So, thank you."

The mention of a 'gift' intruiged Azathor, as he wondered what could be in store for him of all things. He looked over to Sebastian, who had picked up a marvelous explosive weapon to add to his arsenal for battle. Heading over to the same satchel, the demon prince looked over what satchels were available and found a relatively small one with his name attached to it on a small tag. The size was curious enough, but even further still was the feel of what was inside; glass clinked together and rolled around within the interior, and upon opening it became evident of several vials with its contents giving an ominous appearance.

They took the form of oils, based on their viscosity, and from their smaller quantities Azathor could surmise that these were blade coatings of an alchemical kind. He could only wonder what kind of properties these would take up in battle against opponents, should they find their way into their systems. "A fine supply." Azathor commented, "Abyssal steel with potent alchemicals of the mortal world... a combination eager to be tested."

Xiaòzhou was surprised to hear that they had received gifts from the armorer. He didn't feel as though he had taken full advantage of the carbine he had received, though what he had managed to use, it had held up to the strain of his abilities. He made his way over to the black satchel, watching as Sebastian received an explosive-harpoon gun and Azathor received alchemic coatings for his blade. With his turn to check, he looked within and found what had been labeled with his name.

In contrast to the other two, the oni had received something of a defensive nature. He had received a some sort of long-sleeved undergarment, something that could go over his underrobe but under his robe. It appeared to be made of a mix of materials, the core of it seeming to being made of silk while several parts appeared to be of plate metal. He happened to notice that the tag with his name on it had something written on the other side, "This should help for when you get shot," implying this to be bullet-resistant in some shape or form.

"...this should help for when I get shot in the abdomen or the arm," the hermit commented plainly, recalling previous times getting shot.

"What's the matter, boys?" Constantine adressed the detectives. "Never seen a dead man rise from the grave before and bearing the scars of the Abyss?" He chuckled as he got closer. "Now I'm not pretty to look at sure, but not only am I the best argument against sinning you'll see in your life, I am also fighting on your side in this war. Heh, I do say I'm the best card player here if you fancy some during the down time." His gaze shifted towards the Gravedigger. "Good to have you along as well, sir." He spoke with an odd candid tone.

The wraith looked at the surprises that Riberta had delivered and is by instinct, he knew which one was meant for him. It was a pistol, a rather big one. Practically a handheld cannon. Felt like it would tear your hand off clean from the wrist if fired the wrong way. But there was something more to it. Runes doted the barrel, drum and the small pieces of wood. Alchemy runes he's seen placed on specific tools and weapons.

"Now what did your boy do to this here gun?" He looked at Billy "These are some grade A wards he put on it. Did he think I'd make this thing shoot pure Abyssall energy with these?" He was quiet for a few seconds as he looked at the handcannon again "Oh...he did..." the grin came back.

"So what's the current situation, ma'am? Where are we heading specifically?" Jakob then looked at his detectives and the Gravedigger. "While I trust the abilities of my agents, I've instructed them to get outta dodge should things get heavy." He then turned his attention back to the saint. "Are things going to get heavy, ma'am?"

Rebecca nodded, as she slipped her longsword into its sheathe nearby. "Likely heavy fighting. We're heading towards an old dwarven fortress here in the northern mountains of Daristein. Somewhere deep inside the fortress, Thiasis's gauntlets were hidden from the world. We need to get them before Sazak's Icons find them." she explained. "We managed to locate Gyasis's amulet on Grimtham, and also killed the Icons of Pride and Wrath. They were new Icons, though, so they weren't as strong as the others will likely be. The last artifact, Undite's Staff, is in northern Escaria. That's where we'll be going once we locate the gauntlets."

She looked back to Jakob after a moment, before glancing to the Gravedigger. "Once we find the fortress, I suggest sending some of your men back to Eternis. We need to keep them in the loop regarding the artifact collecting."

"Bonne soirée," Camille spoke up to the hybrid. "I do not remember if I ever formally thanked you for saving my idiot husband's life. He told me that he was ready to kill Sazak in the Abyss but getting him to admit that you dragged him out of there kicking and screaming was like an interrogation. So, thank you."

Riberta reached up, placing her hands on the sides of her helmet before lifting it off. Her long black hair flowed out, braided along the sides and top of her head in tribal fashion. She really hadn't changed much since her return from the Abyss. "He probably hates me for it, but him fighting Sazak at that moment would have been true suicide." she responded. "...He was a handful, but I was determined to keep him alive. The others too, but he needed the most attention."

Cassandra, meanwhile, noticed the others heading over and checking out the black satchel that Riberta had mentioned. Curious, she walked over and took a peek inside herself. At first glance, she spotted a note stuck to the inside. Reaching in, she grabbed it and took it out. Fancy handwriting. A stamp representing the Vigilant Order. This was all gifts directly from Adrien Frehner himself, with comments on each written down on the letter.

Cassandra chuckled, before coughing into her fist and preparing herself. She just had to mimic the dhampir alchemist's mannerisms.

"To the fine ladies and gentlemen of Saint Witlocke's glorious crusade: I, Adrien Frehner, have taken upon myself the goal of providing you with more equipment to use in your battles with the forces of Sazak's Icons and the Icons themselves. After hearing about your battle with the Icons of Wrath and Pride, I set out to craft gear and weapons for you so that your overall survivability would be enhanced. And, to be quite frank, I wish for you to cause these wretched creatures as much pain and misery as they would inflict on others."

Cassandra spoke eloquently, straightened up and walking about like the alchemist had before when they first met him. She motioned to each of the group as she went down the list, naming off what each of them had been given. "Young Sebastian, I give unto you a refined brass harpoon gun of my own design. Along with it, I give you four expertly crafted harpoons. These harpoons are filled with an explosive compound which detonates three seconds after the harpoon embeds itself within the target. It should be useful for any large targets you may encounter... such as the Icon of Gluttony himself. Use it well, my good man, and let your aim be true."

"To Azathor, young Prince of the Abyss, I gift to you four chemical compounds I've developed. These should be used upon your sword, and they will enhance the damage output once you start cleaving through the enemy with them. They're particularly acidic, so I would suggest not getting on your hands. It shouldn't damage your sword, due to its make."

"To Constantine, the suave gambling cowboy wraith, I gift one Colt Walker. A remarkable and already powerful revolver, I further enhanced it with alchemical engineering. It should withstand your wraith abilities, and is loaded with six high explosive shots. Watch where you point it, please!"

"To Xiaòzhou, the remarkable Redonian Oni, I gift a set of armored clothes. Meant to be worn under your robe, it should protect you from the toughest of hits from both the Icons and their minions. However, as they were only crafted from the finest metals I could make, they're not resistant to everything and will eventually break. Be careful in regards to the hits you try to power through!"

"To Riberta, Daristein's enduring warlord, I gift a nitro express rifle. A woman of your power and determination likely has no use for ranged weapons, but I believe you might like this. It is a double barreled rifle, shooting .577 Nitro Express rounds. Normally these would be powerful enough to put down the majestic elephants in Southern Redonia, but I believe they're better suited for putting down hostile forces from the Abyss. I've further reinforced the weapon, and manufactured eight shells for you. These shells have solid iron cores, for any demons you might need to shoot with it, while the outer casing is made of a silver compound. Watch the recoil, by the way!"

"To Camille, the beautiful and talented raven of Escaria, I gift what I call 'spike drivers'. These bolts, fired from your crossbow, are fitted with a shotgun shell mounted onto the end. When the bolt hits a target, a firing pin built into the bolt hits the back of the shell and fires it. The shell fires, sending a solid silver coated iron rod into the target. The force of the shot will allow the rod to pierce multiple targets, if you line them up correctly. Its also strong enough to punch through solid metal. A preferable alternative to using a gun, wouldn't you say? You have six shots. Make sure to plant one in a Icon's head for me."

"To Rajko, hunter extraordinaire and bat enthusiast, I gift four of what I've deemed 'inferno bombs'. Resembling classical fire bombs, these glass bottles are filled with a refined gel like compound. Submerged inside are steel balls meant to make sure the glass shatters when these are thrown. Ignite the cloth jutting out of the top of the bottles, and throw them at your target. The gel compound is highly flammable and sticks to targets. It also floats on water! The resulting blast from the bottle shattering is something to watch out for, however."

"To Cassandra, wild child of the darkest nights, I gift a pair of modified claw gauntlets. These gauntlets are made of high quality blackened leather, and the razor sharp claws are made using the finest metals I could craft. Built into the knuckles of the claws are reservoirs of a highly potent acid. The blades are coated with the acid as you flex your hands, and are applied to enemies that you should cut or stab with them. They're of limited use, however, as the acid will eventually dull and melt the claws. Keep that in mind! I'd estimate it has about four uses before they should be cast aside."

"And to Saint Witlocke, I gift a modified shield! Besides its obvious defensive uses, there's a set of high powered shotgun shells built into the body of the shield. A firing mechanism is built into the shield's handle, allowing you to fire some of the shells with a press of a button. There are six shells, and they fire two at a time, so you have three uses. Should an enemy get too close, and will not back off, point towards the enemy and fire away!"

Eventually, Cassandra reached the bottom of the paper. "Please, take care of yourselves. Should you need anything else, please don't hesitate to send word to me! I'll do what I can!" she said, before giving a bow and folding the paper up. As she straightened up, she spoke again as she looked in Jakob's direction. "Doesn't seem to be anything for you and your friends. I do apologize, Jakob."

She soon walked over next to him. "So! How've you been? We didn't really have time to chat all that much during our romp through the Abyss."

Last edited:
"He probably hates me for it, but him fighting Sazak at that moment would have been true suicide." she responded. "...He was a handful, but I was determined to keep him alive. The others too, but he needed the most attention."

Camille shook her head from side to side with a slight smile on her face. "I hardly expected someone like you to care about a man like Hudson's feelings," the huntress began with a slight chuckle, the thought of it almost surreal to her. "He does not hate you. Calling him a handful is putting things mildly, but you all really helped him down there. I thought he was charging into his grave yet he came back to us with a new lease on life. For that I shall always be grateful."

Just then Cassandra began her theatrical reading of their letter from the church alchemist, causing the huntress to turn about to the source with a furrowed brow of utter confusion. The pureblood at play was unnerving, to say the least, yet she said nothing and chose not to dwell on it. Shooting a nod to Riberta, Camille walked toward the satchel and joined the queue of members looking to go over their new equipment.

'Beautiful and talented'? If the huntress didn't know any better she would have thought that Adrien was flirting with her specifically, and regardless of the compliments' intent she still gave a slight smirk and roll of her eyes. What was much more important was the ammunition he provided unto her, and she carefully inspected the new bolts in their bundle before starting to put them into a storage compartment on her person. Camille had a method where she could easily pick them out from her standard bolts, these specialized ones pointing upward where the others had their ends angled down.

"A very thoughtful gift, I must admit," she said aloud to no one in particular. "The least I can do is make sure they find a home in an Icon's skull."

Last edited:
"What's the matter, boys? Never seen a dead man rise from the grave before and bearing the scars of the Abyss? Now I'm not pretty to look at sure, but not only am I the best argument against sinning you'll see in your life, I am also fighting on your side in this war."

Marcus adjusted his bowler hat and gave the wraith a respectful look. "Don't get balled up big six. I've seen plenty of chums similar to you." His accent was peculiar, using slang uncommon in either the south, east, or north Atraca. If Constantine had to assume, Marcus was likely in from the lands in between the two regions of North and south. "Now, I don't know what youse is but it'd a private paranormal dick's job to investigate and learn new things." This earned an eye roll from Sheila, the female detective: "Save the questions fer later. We got a job to do Marky." she said with a lower Atracan highlander accent.

"Heh, I do say I'm the best card player here if you fancy some during the down time."

Billy's eyes lit up upon hearing the boast regarding card playing skills. "Rolltide spooky feller! Tell ya what, next time we camp, we playin' a round or two for a bottle o' whisky. What say ya?"

"Likely heavy fighting. We're heading towards an old dwarven fortress here in the northern mountains of Daristein. Somewhere deep inside the fortress, Thiasis's gauntlets were hidden from the world. We need to get them before Sazak's Icons find them. We managed to locate Gyasis's amulet on Grimtham, and also killed the Icons of Pride and Wrath. They were new Icons, though, so they weren't as strong as the others will likely be. The last artifact, Undite's Staff, is in northern Escaria. That's where we'll be going once we locate the gauntlets."

"The gauntlets of Thiasis..." Jakob muttered, hearing the name of his dead deity. "...Val told me in the letters what happened to him and Gyasis." He clenched his fists for a moment, feeling rage swell up in his heart. "Thiasis was a kind god. He helped me back in Grimtham, and he dies while that fucking vermin Velin lives?"

His hatred for Velin only grew when he had returned to Red Gorge, and his sister told him that the goddess herself almost attacked the inhabitants of the place for daring to stand up for its non-human residents. He did not care, or believed, that the goddess felt regret for her actions. Even if that was the case, the damage already done was far too great in Jakob's eyes. To him, she was as vile as Sazak himself.

"Jakob..."

The detective's irate gaze slowly turned towards the Gravedigger; his old, wizened voice carried great wisdom - laced with a "Southorn" accent of the tribes living by the edge of the swamps. "What's done is done. I understand your pain, but do not allow hatred to blind you now that you've found those that need you most."

Jakob's gaze softened and his demeanor shifted on hearing this. Then, he let out a sigh of frustration. "Sorry... I... I was told you used to be a servant of that thing, in older times. But that thing caused too much pain to me and my people."

"Once we find the fortress, I suggest sending some of your men back to Eternis. We need to keep them in the loop regarding the artifact collecting."

"I already got five more riders doing some scoutin' for the church, but don't worry, I'll have my men go back once we get ol' Thiasis relic." He looked at his detectives and the old gravedigger. "They may be regular folk, I trust 'em with my life." He then looked at Sebastien, who had a human aura. "I'm sure you understand that." He said as he looked back at Rebecca.

"So! How've you been? We didn't really have time to chat all that much during our romp through the Abyss."

As Cassandra approached Jacob, he could only give her a sympathetic smile, but there was sadness in his eyes because her lover was stuck in hell, but also regret because he had not helped Cassandra when she tried to save Mariette's mind, because he had not tried to persuade her to come back to Adonia with them. When his eyes meet hers, it's as if he wants to tell her all these things, but he's unable to say them.

"I... i'm glad to see you, Cass." He murmured, still trying to smile at her. "I'm sorry I didn't get back to you, I guess... I..." He couldn't, he couldn't say what he wanted to say, and that made him angry, but he didn't want to make the situation any more awkward than it already was. "I'll be honest, that last leg of the trek into the abyss broke me, I barely remember anything after I killed that son of a bitch Wallace... heh, the last memory I had of myself interactin' with ya was me giving you and Mariette a thumbs up as you held hands on the train!" He tried to smile again, but it was painfully awkward.

"D... Do you know anything about her? Is she still down there...?"

"Sorry... I... I was told you used to be a servant of that thing, in older times. But that thing caused too much pain to me and my people."

"Yeah, I know. I experienced how horrible she could be back then, and I earned her ire by not following through with her demands." responded Rebecca with a nod, as she cast her gaze to the ground. "I left her Order, and formed the Vigilant Order alongside other like-minded individuals. You can imagine how I felt when I returned and saw that she had taken control of the order I helped to build."

She then glanced to the Gravedigger. "A pleasure to see you again. I hope my patron is doing well, all things considered." she said, giving the Gravedigger a warm smile.

"I already got five more riders doing some scoutin' for the church, but don't worry, I'll have my men go back once we get ol' Thiasis relic." He looked at his detectives and the old gravedigger. "They may be regular folk, I trust 'em with my life." He then looked at Sebastien, who had a human aura. "I'm sure you understand that." He said as he looked back at Rebecca.

"More than you know, Jakob." responded the Saint, nodding again. As Cassandra approached, Rebecca smiled and quietly moved past them. She needed to inspect the the shield she had been sent. Shotgun shells built into it? Quite remarkable, really.

Cassandra noticed the look on Jakob's face as she approached. So many things he wanted to say, but he was holding everything back. He was the first, honestly.

"I... i'm glad to see you, Cass." He murmured, still trying to smile at her. "I'm sorry I didn't get back to you, I guess... I..." He couldn't, he couldn't say what he wanted to say, and that made him angry, but he didn't want to make the situation any more awkward than it already was. "I'll be honest, that last leg of the trek into the abyss broke me, I barely remember anything after I killed that son of a bitch Wallace... heh, the last memory I had of myself interactin' with ya was me giving you and Mariette a thumbs up as you held hands on the train!" He tried to smile again, but it was painfully awkward.

"D... Do you know anything about her? Is she still down there...?"

"...Jakob, its okay. I understand. You don't have to apologize." she responded, her voice soft. She soon stepped over and hugged him, smiling as she did. When she released him after a few moments, she spoke again. "Yes, she's still down there. She's currently a lieutenant in Tariun's army. She's helping to win the war in the Abyss, and actually just lead an assault that captured the territory of Greed."

"And before you ask, I keep in touch with her. I write letters to her often, and she visited me at Tariun's tavern on Grimtham. We spent some time together." she added, "...I miss being with her. However, I have a job to finish up here before I can return to the Abyss to be with her."

The entire exchange between Cassandra and Jakob made Sebastian not-so-subtly bristle, and he even rolled his eyes when Jakob asked about Cassandra's quite literally gods-damned lover. He understood Camille's cautious respect for the deceased witch, which undoubtedly increased when the latter violently removed herself from Sazak's web, but to pity her - and especially Cassandra - implied that it was far too easy to win this man Jakob's approval.

Yes, their group had new allies, but why did they all have to be so questionable?

It made him wonder about the others Jakob brought with him. What secrets were they holding? Hell, they've got a mysterious man just called The Gravedigger. Does no one else find that uncomfortably strange?

"...Jakob, its okay. I understand. You don't have to apologize."

When Cassandra embraced him, Jakob quickly returned the gesture and hugged her as tightly as he could. "No, it's not a girl," he muttered to her as they released their embrace. "I am lyin' to myself, I keep tellin' myself that I was too tired and broken during our last hours in the Abyss, but that's not true." He clenched his fists in anger. "...But not entirely false either, after I killed Wallace I was angry and full of hatred for that cursed land, it blinded me to what was important at the time, we had saved Valeria and the only thing I cared about at the time was pulling her out of the Abyss."

"But I was there, I witnessed and remember everything that happened, I saw Mariette lose her mind to that accursed armor, I saw you save her." Jakob let out a frustrated sigh and averted his eyes, unable to look Cassandra in the eye any longer. "...I remember you saying goodbye to her."

"I... I should have done something, Cass! I could have helped you, I could have, no - I SHOULD have tried to convince her to come back to Adonia" In the short time Jacob had known Mariette, she had impressed him the most, the noble vampiress had treated him with great respect and friendship, unbecoming of a noblewoman, and in her final moments she had given him and his family a great fortune and secured his daughter's future. "I failed her again, first at Grimtham when I was wounded and was not there to stop her from killing herself, and then in the Abyss."

"And now she's trapped there, leading demons? She shouldn't have been there in the first place! She deserved to live in peace! And Sazak and that bitch Velin took everything from her." Jakob let out an almost savage growl as he remembered how he and the others met Mariette in the Abyss, driven almost mad by Sazak's cruelty.

"Are you alright, boss?" asked Billy with clear concern in his voice, Jakob turned to his companions who looked at him with concern. "Sorry guys," he said, turning his gaze away from his men and looking back at Cassandra. "I'm sorry, this all probably hurts you a lot more and... I shouldn't make this about me... I'm glad you're still in touch." He tried to smile again, but couldn't. "...Could you send her a letter from me? If you can, of course... She must know that Lucy is getting much smarter than her old man, and she has her to thank for that."

What secrets were they holding? Hell, they've got a mysterious man just called The Gravedigger.

To the common eye, the gravedigger appeared to be an ordinary southerner, but upon closer inspection Sebastien could see the various amulets and other tribal fetishes attached to the old man's satchel hanging from the side of his horse. "Osiyo, my son," the gravedigger said, a word that was foreign to Sebastien, but it had to be some sort of greeting, because the old man smiled.

"I see that fate has touched you," the smile on the old man's face widened.

To the common eye, the gravedigger appeared to be an ordinary southerner, but upon closer inspection Sebastien could see the various amulets and other tribal fetishes attached to the old man's satchel hanging from the side of his horse. "Osiyo, my son," the gravedigger said, a word that was foreign to Sebastien, but it had to be some sort of greeting, because the old man smiled.

"I see that fate has touched you," the smile on the old man's face widened.

"Tag," he replied flatly. "I wouldn't say touched. Manhandled is more like it. What's your story?"

After obtaining her new equipment, the huntress moved aside and found a tree to lean on, arms crossed while her eyes held forward. She had not broken from the group completely, and was still within earshot of Jakob and Cassandra as they spoke.

Unfortunately she was sharing in Sebastian's sentiment. The fact Jakob was so willing to forgive someone like the pureblood was almost insulting to her. All of them had Sazak in chains, meticulously averting Valeria's damnation from her gambit and ready to end his miserable existence. Yet Cassandra, that deranged pawn to that monster, ruined everything in that moment. The way Camille saw things Cassandra was responsible for everything that followed - the inquiry's curses and the current state of the world. She could recognize that the vampire was here for atonement, yet it would not come if her psyche shatters again and ends up rescuing Sazak from justice a second time.

What Mariette had chosen to do took incredible strength, and these days Camille wondered if she should have stopped her. Off of the assumption that the Abyss was a functional realm of retribution, somehow Camille could never imagine that she would end up tortured by Sazak for what must have felt like whole lifetimes. Yet if she hadn't gone into the sunlight, the Abyss' rebelling force would be far weaker. The huntress was hesitant to believe in fate, even if she had spoken to the god of time. Always believing that she had the means to shape her own destiny, if her past weakness allowed for a brighter future in the end, perhaps it truly was meant to be. Could the same be said for Cassandra?

Camille's stony expression flickers before she sighs.

"Mariette's choices were her own," she spoke up. "Though I wish things were different, we would all appear to be slaves to circumstance. I am confident that she shall use her power to make that hellish place as it is meant to be. I have... thought so much on the past. On Grimtham, what I could have done different to avert the horrors that were wrought."

"We cannot change the past. We are here, in the present," Camille stops her leaning and finally turns to look at Jakob. "And this time, things will be different. We all carry the scars of our mistakes on us, and through them we shall not fail again."

Rolltide spooky feller! Tell ya what, next time we camp, we playin' a round or two for a bottle o' whisky. What say ya?
"I'll play ya for two." Constantine chuckled before he looked at the other detective. "I'll save you the trouble. I'm a wraith. I fucked up real bad and when I died, I woke up in the Abyss. I was so angry that instead of putting me in chains or having me bust rocks with cut off stumps or whatever they do, I was offered to be a soldier of sorts. Now I'm here to help you lot and once that is done, I'm gonna find the demon son of a bitch that casued my problem since fled somewhere in this world and I'm going to kill him. If someone tries to stop me, I'll kill them too." Constantine shrugged "Its not a grand plan, I'd admit, but it keeps me going." He looked to the new pistol he was given. Maybe a shot from this should be kept in the chamber for that demon.

He listened to the conversation between Jacob and Cassandra. Hard not to, it wasn't exactly a secret hushed in whispers. Story wasn't exactly unknown to him, having heard parts of it from Colette when they were working in the Abyss. There were some extra details in there that neither were privy to. Turns out they had known maybe a tenth of it at best. Maybe less. If he were the gossip type, he'd probably stick his nose in there some more.

"...Could you send her a letter from me? If you can, of course... She must know that Lucy is getting much smarter than her old man, and she has her to thank for that."

Cassandra was about respond, comforting Jakob as he spoke of his 'failings', but Camille instead spoke in her place. She looked around at the Raven, propped against a tree nearby.

"Mariette's choices were her own," she spoke up. "Though I wish things were different, we would all appear to be slaves to circumstance. I am confident that she shall use her power to make that hellish place as it is meant to be. I have... thought so much on the past. On Grimtham, what I could have done different to avert the horrors that were wrought."

"We cannot change the past. We are here, in the present," Camille stops her leaning and finally turns to look at Jakob. "And this time, things will be different. We all carry the scars of our mistakes on us, and through them we shall not fail again."

"...I really hate to say this, due to who that came from, but she speaks the truth." said Cassandra softly, as she looked back to Jakob. "We can't change the past, as much as we all want to. We have to work in the here and now."

She then smiled, and hugged Jakob one more time. "I'll write her a letter from both of us. I'm sure she'd love to hear about little Lucy." she said, before releasing him and stepping back.

Meanwhile, Riberta had moved over near where Sebastian was, sitting in the grass and placing her helmet and weapon next to her. She was curious about the young man, glancing towards him every so often until the Gravedigger eventually approached him.

As he asked about the Gravedigger, Riberta spoke up in their own shared native tongue of Daristein. "[He's a friend of Adona's. Both of them are natives from down in Southern Atraca. I don't think anyone besides Adona knows his real name.]" she said, crossing her legs and folding her arms. "[From what I gathered from the other detectives, he just moves around the graveyard in Red Gorge and digs graves. I would say he's an odd one, but from what I understand, anyone related to Adona is.]"

Last edited:
"[From what I gathered from the other detectives, he just moves around the graveyard in Red Gorge and digs graves. I would say he's an odd one, but from what I understand, anyone related to Adona is.]"

"[And you're not?]" Sebastian replied, testily. "[...I've heard the stories, about what you are and what you've done. You're like Cassandra,]" he said with an ugly look that rapidly softened. "[...We're lucky to have you.]"

"[...I've heard the stories, about what you are and what you've done. You're like Cassandra,]" he said with an ugly look that rapidly softened. "[...We're lucky to have you.]"

Riberta tilted her head slightly. "[The great barbarian warlord who has harassed the people of Daristein for hundreds of years. A hybrid of vampire and alpha werewolf, leading a clan of other werewolves through the great forests of this beautiful country with the intent to maim and slaughter. Waging an endless war...]" she said, looking down towards the grass between them. "[...It does make me sound a bit like Cassandra. Monsterous.]"

She then sighed. "[I don't share her madness, thankfully. I'm simply cursed by Sazak to wage war.]" she soon said, "[Hopefully not for much longer. When Sazak dies, I'll finally be free. No more war. No more bloodshed. I'll be able to throw this gods forsaken sword and armor away, and simply be with what's left of my family.]"

She finally smiled. "[...I can visit the graves of my daughters, and finally be at peace.]"

Last edited:
Sebastian reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigarette and a match. As he lit up for the first time that day and took a drag, he tilted his head back and closed his eyes. After holding it in a bit, he blew the smoke out and almost seemed serene.

Whatever ugly thoughts had been running through his mind left him. "[So... Did your curse name Daristein specifically, or could you cross the border and do a little terrorizing in Atraca? Because that would help us out a little with the whole, uh, situation we've got going on...]"

After letting the words hang in the air uncomfortably for a moment, Sebastian chuckled at his own joke.

"[So... Did your curse name Daristein specifically, or could you cross the border and do a little terrorizing in Atraca? Because that would help us out a little with the whole, uh, situation we've got going on...]"

Riberta chuckled herself. "[Well, in any other situation, I would have. Daristein just always drew my ire because of their claim on my home village and its lands.]" she responded.

"[I've stuck around lately because demons have been appearing here in Daristein.]" she continued, "[So I've been killing the ones I find alongside what remains of my clan. You can imagine the looks I've been getting when I show up to save people from some possessed soldiers or neighbors.]"

She smiled slightly. "[My... well, I'll just call her my niece... She's been helping a lot. Smoothing things out with locals, organizing hunts against demons in the different areas of the country. Right now, she's investigating a possible Icon sighting in Eastern Daristein. My guess, the Icon of Lust. That used to be elven territory, and she had a thing for elves long ago...]"

"We cannot change the past. We are here, in the present, and this time, things will be different. We all carry the scars of our mistakes on us, and through them we shall not fail again."
"...I really hate to say this, due to who that came from, but she speaks the truth. We can't change the past, as much as we all want to. We have to work in the here and now."

Jakob's tired gaze slid back and forth between Cassandra and Camille, both women, so fundamentally different from each other, agreed on one thing: that they shouldn't let themselves be tormented by the past. Jakob thought they both sounded like the gravedigger. Who gives him the same advice, but he can't move on, maybe travelling with them will help him.

"I'll write her a letter from both of us. I'm sure she'd love to hear about little Lucy."

"Thank you, Cass." He said, trying to smile. "I hope you can see her and be with her again." Jakob patted her on the back.

Then he looked at Camille, who had just been talking to Riberta about her husband. "I hope Hudson is feeling better," Jakob said. Hudson had become one of his friends during their stay in the Abyss, and the two of them survived the many dangerous challenges the cursed land offered.

"He saved my hide plenty of times, and I think I've saved his too. He still owes me two bottles of whiskey though, they were expensive, Highlander brews too!" Jakob said with a smile, but before Camille could reply, he took the floor again. "Actually, he can pay me back in another way... I want you to come to Redgorge with your family when this is all over!"

It's not clear if this was Jakob's attempt to lighten the mood, but if Camille remembered the old constable at Grimtham well, Jakob was simply being himself. "I'm serious, I want you, Hudson and your children to visit us. My people and I'll cook you a feast; I'm talking barbecue ribs, gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice, collard greens, baked beans, Rose will make a mean grilled t-bone - and you're not going anywhere until you've tasted my crawfish etouffee."

"Oh Madmoiselle Guigere, you gotta go now! The boss makes killer crawfish etouffee," Billy said with a grin.

"I wouldn't say touched. Manhandled is more like it. What's your story?"
"[He's a friend of Adona's. Both of them are natives from down in Southern Atraca. I don't think anyone besides Adona knows his real name. From what I gathered from the other detectives, he just moves around the graveyard in Red Gorge and digs graves. I would say he's an odd one, but from what I understand, anyone related to Adona is.]"

"It's rude to talk about people when they're standing right in front of you," said the gravedigger with a cheeky grin on his wizened face. Then he turned to Sebastien as he finished talking to Riberta. "My story? I'm just an old man, son, I lived with my tribe down in the valley of the red river, not far from Redgorge, I think I was appointed gravedigger by the mayor, about... well, maybe a hundred years?" the gravedigger said casually. "I'm not sure, I was a young man then, ten years before the Viceroy of the South conquered the southern tribes, mine included, but I was a young child and my memory of that time is hazy at best."

Last edited:
"I'm not sure, I was a young man then, ten years before the Viceroy of the South conquered the southern tribes, mine included, but I was a young child and my memory of that time is hazy at best."

"...Whatever," Sebastian replied. "I don't give a shit."

The man was clearly toying with him and withholding information, and having already lit a cigarette for his nerves, Sebastian wasn't going to stress himself any further.

When Jakob spoke of Hudson, she gave a nod of her head as she put on a slight smirk. "Oh, he is doing his best. I am certain that he is probably quite stressed, given him being in Eternis with the children as I am out here risking my life... Yet he is in good spirits," Camille replies. Her smile broadens slightly at the mention of them aiding each other in the Abyss, though before she can actually start to repay the sentiment he catches her by surprise with the suggestion.

"That does sound like quite the feast..! If there is ever to be a moment of calm that would allow us to celebrate after Sazak's fallen, I would be happy to attend," the huntress replies. "Marie and Casseus would certainly appreciate the change of locale, though I cannot guarantee that Hudson won't be grumpy." The way she chuckled at those final words showed that she was mostly joking, though truthfully the both of them were not known to be the celebrating type. With a significantly brighter future ahead of them with the mission's success, Camille partially hoped to change that.

"It's rude to talk about people when they're standing right in front of you," said the gravedigger with a cheeky grin on his wizened face.

"...Apologies, wise man." responded Riberta. Her gaze didn't leave the grass at her feet, however, until she heard Sebastian's response to the old man's explanation as to who and what he was.

"...Whatever," Sebastian replied. "I don't give a shit."

Riberta glanced over, then at the Gravedigger. "Forgive him, wise man. It'd probably be best to come back to that subject later." she said, a few moments after he finished. She then shifted her gaze to the others. "I imagine it'd be a good time to get settled in. We've got a good ways to travel from here to the castle."

Rebecca overheard, walking back over with her new shield. "Yes, and we should be prepared. The Icons likely have a sizeable force with them to try and stop us. Get as much rest as you can, and prepare yourselves." she said, looking between the trio before glancing to the others.

Arrowhead River
South Warren River Delta
Near Skull Creek, South Warren, Atraca

"Fancy yourself the gambling type?"

"No, I don't."

"That was certainly quick."

"My next response will be quicker."

There was an audible click beneath the table. A revolver's hammer being cocked back. Claire smiled. "I've had to deal with three different people trying to convince me to gamble since I stepped onto this riverboat. Two of them tried to rob me, and both of them earned silver in their bellies. The other knew how to take no for an answer. Now, based on that information, you have two options."

The man, clad in a blue suit and bowler hat, nervously nodded. "I-I'll leave you be, then." he stammered.

Another click. The hammer was lowered. Claire nodded as well. "Good. Go bug someone else." said Claire, as her smile faded away.

It didn't take long before the man had vanished from the small round table. Claire sat back, looking about the large room. Her eyes traveled between the patrons. This was a gambling riverboat, so most of them were higher end gamblers and their well-dressed spouses or lovers. Suits, big dresses, fancy hats and shoes. A man's fingers tapped away across the keyboard of a grand piano off to the side, providing a nice tune to play card games to. Chips clacked on tables, as stakes were raised ever higher. There was a laugh here, a cry there, a string of curses over there. She even noticed one guy get punched, before the attacker was dragged away by the riverboat's staff.

Eventually, someone specific caught her eye. A young man in a black suit, with a red bow-tie and slicked back black hair. Likely styled with pomade. He stood off to the side, near the pianist, and was gazing quietly around the room. His arms were hidden behind his back. As his gaze drifted around to her, she smiled and gave him a two fingered wave of her hand. Soon after, he was on approach.

"Lady McLachlan. It has certainly been a while." he said as he neared. His voice was smooth, like fine velvet. "What brings you back to the Drifting Mistress?"

"I need to speak with Elijah. Is he available?" she responded, tilting her head to look up at the young man.

"Indeed he is, ma'am. Please, follow me."

A moment later, she was out of the chair and following after him. They walked down the length of the ship, past patrons and poker tables. An occasional glance was sent her way, but most were too busy or disinterested to care. Dull green carpet turned to polished hardwood, as they left the gambling floor and ascended a fight of stairs to the upper floors. Then, around the rim of the ship they walked. The second floor offered a wonderful view of the entire gambling floor below. From up here, you could see everything. One could likely spot cheaters if you had a small pair of binoculars.

To the front end of the ship they walked, eventually stepping through a pair of oak doors. Out onto the open deck they emerged, and sitting in a lavish outdoor chair facing the river ahead was the very man she was looking for. Elijah Morgan, current head of the vampire house of Morgan.

The young man walked ahead as Claire stopped a few feet behind. As he walked, he picked a parasol out of a small gold and black stand near the door and flicked it open. It was daylight, he didn't need to roast in the sun. A short stroll across the deck placed him at Elijah's side, where he bent over and whispered into his master's ear. Soon, she saw Elijah wave over his shoulder. Motioning for her to approach.

The House of Morgan was one of the newer, more modern vampire houses which broke away from the houses of old to chart their own paths. However, their very origins were tainted. A curse rested on the bloodline, to where almost half of its membership suffers from madness and insanity. The progenitor herself, Cordelia Morgan, embraced her madness. Elijah suffered from it, but found water to be calming. Oceans, rivers, lakes... as long as he was near a body of water, he was near serene. It made sense that he made his headquarters a riverboat.

As she arrived beside him, he looked up at her and smiled. "Claire! Welcome back to the Drifting Mistress. How've you been?" he said, in a slightly cheerful tone.

Claire was one of the few vampires among the houses that didn't look at House Morgan in fear or pity. She showed respect. She always did.

Claire smiled back. "I've been better. My mood will likely improve once this mess across the continent is over with. How about you?"

"Same as ever. Watching the waters, keeping my mind at ease. Beyond that, just making sure the riverboat stays as far from the fighting as possible." he responded. He looked back out over the river's waters, before speaking again. The smile faded from his face as the words left his lips. "What brings you here, Claire? Enforcer duties?"

She nodded, as her own smile faded. "Yes. I'm visiting all the houses." she replied. "Someone's aiding the Icons, and I'm trying to find out who and why."

"Of course." said Elijah, nodding. "I'm curious as to who it is as well."

Elijah soon stood from his seat, carefully climbing to his feet and turning to face Claire. His blue eyes met her red ones. "You know I keep a close eye on my own. I always have... with the kind of curse we have, I can't afford not to."

Claire nodded. "I know, Elijah." she said softly, "I have to do my duties."

"I know... What do you need from me?"

"...I need to see Cordelia."

Elijah's eyes widened. "I assure you, she's still where she needs to be." he responded.

Claire sighed, before speaking again. "I believe you, Elijah, but I still need to see for myself."

He hesitated, looking over to the other young vampire before shifting his gaze back to Claire. He ran his hand through his hair, before sighing himself. He cast one last gaze over the water. "...Alright, fine." he muttered, "Lawrence, take Lady McLachlan to see Mother."

The trip through the ship didn't take very long, the young Lawrence leading Claire down into the ship's lower decks. They traveled through several hallways and rooms, most filled with other members of House Morgan and their guests. But one hallway was particularly empty, and was secured at both ends by heavy bulkhead doors. As if that could really stop a pureblood vampire. Claire guessed that it was only meant to be a method of delaying someone from getting out, until she noticed the magic sigils marked on the doors handles.

The doors were trapped. Clever.

She raised an eyebrow as they traveled through the first door, and quietly followed Lawrence along to the second. He stopped for a moment before opening the second, turning to face Claire. "...Please, stay at minimum ten feet away from her. If she asks you to come closer, don't. If she promises you anything, ignore them." said the young vampire.

"I know, Lawrence. I've been down here before." she responded. Only once, and for no more than two minutes.

He nodded, before turning back about. The wheel on the bulkhead door was slowly spun, and soon the door popped open. Lawrence stepped aside, allowing Claire to enter the well lit room.

At the center of the fifteen by fifteen foot square room, bound to a solid block of stone marked in sigils by magically enhanced silver chains, was Cordelia Morgan. The pureblood perked up slightly, as she heard Claire's foot touch the hardwood around the stone block.

"Ahhh, a visitor. Certainly not one of my regulars. You smell far different... but ever so familiar." she said softly. She had a lovely voice. Likely used to the fullest extent to draw people in.

Claire eyed Cordelia as she walked around in front of her. What little clothes she had on were practically rags, probably from her attempting to free herself from the chains. A white blouse shirt, black breeches with matching boots. Her cream colored bra and panties were visible through the tears in the clothes. She was a beautiful woman otherwise, with long flowing white hair. Her eyes weren't visible, covered by an odd black blindfold bearing a magical sigil placed squarely between the eyes.

That was to nullify the other gift that Cordelia had been bestowed with. She could enthrall people with just eye contact. Including other vampires.

"...Claire McLachlan. Enforcer of the Sanguine Laws. It took me a moment. You were only here for... two minutes and sixteen seconds. Around... twenty-seven years ago?" continued Cordelia. She then gave a toothy grin, her fangs gleaming in the light.

"Spot on, Lady Morgan." responded Claire, folding her arms.

"Lady Morgan?" breathed Cordelia. "My my, I haven't been called a Lady in quite a long time. Its surprising to hear such... formality."

"Because you stopped being a Lady when you tried to kill Lady Karnstein."

"Mmm...and what happened to Lady Karnstein in the end, hmm?"

Claire went silent. Cordelia chuckled in response.

"...So why are you here, Enforcer? Have you come to finally execute me for my actions? They meet every year, and my name is always brought up."

"I've come to simply check on you."

"Well, as you can see... I'm still here. Same as always. Though I do wish they'd let me out of these chains for just a minute or two... I'd love to stretch my legs."

"...And kill everyone on this ship."

"Of course. House Morgan has always been in need of a proper purging of bad elements."

"Like Elijah?"

"Oh heavens, no! Elijah is one of my favorites! We just need to spend a little time together... and he'll come around to seeing things my way."

Claire eventually shook her head. Why was she still here? She saw what she needed to see. "...Well, I've had my fill. See you in another twenty-seven years."

"Well, tah-tah for now, Claire. I doubt it'll be another twenty-seven years, however."

Claire turned and moved towards the door as Cordelia continued. "Eventually... someone is going to slip up. We're all imperfect beings, after all. I'll be free, and... I may come visit you. I could show you so many wonderful things. Maybe even convince you that perfection is obtainable."

"Not a chance in hell." were Claire's last words, as she stepped out of the room. Lawrence peeked in, and took a final look at Cordelia before moving to shut the door.

"Hello to you too, Lawrence! My my, children are so rude these days..."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back