Advice/Help How to approach the subject of bad grammar

SavannahSmiles

вσ∂у ιη тнє αвуѕѕ, нєαят ιη ραяα∂ιѕє
So I've come across a few instances in the past where I will start plotting a roleplay with someone and things are going well. We hammer out the details and make our characters. Then it comes time for the other person to make their first post and...there is no punctuation to be seen, the sentences are running together, and there are whole words missing from sections. It throws me off guard but I try to stick through it, maybe they were having an off day...but the rest of the posts are of a similar nature. It's getting to the point where I'm having a hard time even understanding what they are writing.

I understand that English is not everyone's first language and that's not to say that everyone whose first language is not English are terrible writers, no, I've meet some fantastic writers.

So how does one go about bringing up the subject of bad grammar to the other person?

I don't just want to say something like "I don't really want to roleplay with you because I can't understand your writing". I don't want to say something like that, because I don't know the circumstances of the other person. What they gave me might be their best effort, but it's making it hard for me to enjoy the roleplay.

So how do I approach this issue without coming across as rude?

I usually just say something to the effect of

“oh I am so sorry I am a little confused about what’s happening in the post. Could you maybe clarify (a specific thing your concerned about).”

Or just correct minor mistakes myself without mention it.

Interpret the post in the best way you can and then ask them for clarity. "When you said this is this what you meant?"

"I don't really want to roleplay with you because I can't understand your writing"

I don't really see this as rude. Naturally don't go "you're a terrible writer so I can't roleplay with you", but you said it yourself, that's not how you view these things. As you as you write it cordially, I don't think there is anything rude about pointing out the very fact you can't understand them, and that that makes it harder for you to sustain a partnership with them. After all, it WILL leave you unsatisfied because you don't understand them, and them unsatisfied because if you can't, then how can you reciprocate their efforts?

If they have some special circumstances, and that is somehow affecting their grammar that dramatically, then I'm sure they'll say something to the effect of "sorry, I'm having a hard time, but it'll get better I promise". At which point, you can either continue to roleplay like that, or maybe even take a break to let them recover from whatever may be happening.

Oh, if you’re rejecting someone, I usually say something along the lines of “we’re looking for different things in our writing”. It’s not that their style is worse or better, just different than what you were looking for.

It's better on your conscious to not ghost your partner(s). Even if their writing isn't to your desired level. It may sound like a prudish move but you should think about writing in what level of writing you want from your partners. Between how many paragraphs to how literate they are. You can decide what level you want it to be at but most people understand roleplay literacy as new, casual and advanced. I think most people know their limits but on occasion you run into someone who doesn't you can kindly let them know you're bowing out of the RP.

Well if it's minor errors I just keep going.

If it's REALLY bad to the point where I can't roleplay, well... I don't. I tell them that I can't.

Languages other than English contain grammar and punctuation. Most European languages have very similar sentence structures to English. Even if it was, for example, German, and your partner kept putting the verbs at the end of the sentence, it would still be readable to you - and probably also not a problem if you reminded them that English didn't work that way. Not using grammar and punctuation has nothing to do with first language use in 999/1000 cases.

I'm going to disagree with the "pick them up on one or two phrases and ask for clarification", because if their post is ALL terrible grammar, this will lead them to assume it isn't, that it's just one or two things, that you're being nitpicky every post, and essentially annoy/upset them so they don't want to RP with you anymore. Which is a bit like being an ass to your girl/boyfriend so that they dump you first.

I would just excuse myself from the RP due to incompatibility, and if they ask why, tell them they need to improve their writing skills and point them at Grammarly or something.

Edit: INFO - did the person have good grammar while you were chatting OOC and then not use it for their actual posts? If so, seems weird. If not, maybe train yourself to pick up on the signs before you start an RP with them.

I do not understand why people somehow believe that avoiding to state the problem is somehow more beneficial to anyone involved. Not hearing that you have a problem in your writing will make people believe they aren't doing anything wrong. The thing is that they are doing things wrong. This is the important part. It's not a matter of differing writing styles at this point, so it is far more objectively correct or incorrect when we talk about bad language skills.

Not to mention that if they cannot properly produce content for you to participate in with enjoyment, then you have no reason not to be direct about the problem. This can be done in many manners, some of which can be cordial. 'Respectable language.' So as to avoid insulting the person in question.

"Sorry but I cannot understand what you're writing. I by no means mean to disrespect your writing, but I really cannot understand what you are trying to write some of the time. [...]" and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back