Other How do you approach Potential partners for rp?

SpartanSam

So how do you guys approach people for rp? Go into the search threads and say im simply interested? Because I've seen a few i think i might like but am i guess to shy to tell these people im interested because i think something Might go wrong. And i meam that as in, our styles wont match, our interests aren't exactly the same.

I like to light a few candles, put on the soundtrack to Guardians Of The Galaxy, stretch, and post an awkward but enthusiastic greeting that starts with something disarming like "Hullo," or "Saluton," which is hello in the UN official international language, Esperanto.

I love the guardians of the galaxy soundtrack XD but thats interesting i never knew the UN had its own international language

I love the guardians of the galaxy soundtrack XD but thats interesting i never knew the UN had its own international language

Lol, glad. Yeah, It's a mix of like ... seven languages from different continents ... I think. Real was just showing off. But seriously, just dive in, everyone's a little weird here, so everyone fits right in!

Lol, glad. Yeah, It's a mix of like ... seven languages from different continents ... I think. Real was just showing off. But seriously, just dive in, everyone's a little weird here, so everyone fits right in!
Alright well I'll try then. Because ive wanted to and who knows how mant rps i may have missed out on

My usual methods consist of (assuming we're talking 1x1 and not groups, where your only choice is to post in the interest check there is no way around it), usually, posting in the person's search thread requesting a PM. This gives me an idea of when they are online and available, giving me a better window of reference for when I may be able to contact them if I need to or when to do other things.

When I get the PM (or in some cases, send it) I then begin by sharing how my RPing style is. I don't believe in things like "oh our writing isn't compatible" but I do believe that mindsets and roleplaying styles ought to be. For instance, I need detailed atmospheric writing in my life, and my partners need to be able to tolerate the high-planning, slower pace I approach things with, and the fact that I roleplay in first person is something I know turns a lot of people off. So, I try to be upfront about all those things, which turns a lot of people away, but considerably improves the experience with those that do stay. My general policy is that anyone willing to work with doing things my way should be given a chance if I have any time to spare (or even if I don't, if they just have something mindblowing for me), and that if I really want to work with someone else, then I need to be willing to compromise a little as well.
After knowing that we can work together at all, I then inquire about their tastes. On the previous step, I probably shared my own tastes and limits on top of my RPing style, but now I ask about how the other person likes to operate, what their tastes are... Beyond just the simple answer, I also try to figure out how their mindset is. Knowing where someone comes from is a huge boon towards effective communcation, though I do admit I aint exactly a psychic, so there is only so far I can take my guesses about the other person.

One more method that I use is to simply create my own search thread. Every now and then I update my "plotting everything" 1x1 search with all my curren cravings, long-term desired plots, current style and tastes etc... As well as some extra ideas which I still want to do, but often may not be quite my favorite, and are mostly there to help expand the horizons of what I might like in case someone has some amazing idea relating to it.

I do hope this helps! Ultimately, as with in many things in RP, you need to understand that yeah things will often go wrong, but you need to embrace that not run from it. Be open, put yourself out there if you can! Do your best not to shy away, you can't make an omellete without breaking some eggs :)

Personally, one of the worst things is when people respond to an interest check with just "I'm interested". At the very least you should always say which specific plots you are interested in.

When I contact someone however, I go a bit more in detail and like to present everything important right away. Typically I would immediately send a PM and start with something like "Hey! I saw your (Interest check, thread, or RP) and I thought we would be good partners! Here is a little about me right off the bat to make sure we are compatible!" And then I would introduce myself over the course of a paragraph or two, often reiterating rules they said in their interest check which proves that I read it and double checks that we are on the same page when it comes to what is expected.

In no order, this is a general list if the information I like to include:
  • Country and/or Time Zone
  • How active am I IC and OCC
  • My post length and style
  • What genders do I play and how many?
  • Fast romance, slow romance, or no romance?
  • Character sheets? If so, long or short, anime or realistic face claims?
  • Do you RP in threads, PMs, or either?
  • In a separate paragraph, mention if there are any issues with the rules that you are trying to bend.
    • Give reasons and give the other person an out. "If that's not okay, then I wish you the best with your future RPs!"
  • And finally, in a separate paragraph again, what plots/pairings/genres I am interested in
Generally, once you write this once you can use it for all interest checks that you are responding to. Of course it will need to be edited but the general format always stays the same... Well, for me at least.

I hope this helps you somewhat! And don't worry about style and interests, if you fit the requirements people mentioned in their interest check, then your styles and interests are (more or less) guaranteed to match. Just go for it! The worst that could happen is that they stop responding, which is also not something to worry about.

I don't do 1x1 RPs and never started a group one, but even then I contacted people who showed interest in a fandom for a previous RP through DMs, asking if they'd want to try a new RP in that same fandom. I also do some stalking every now and then, adding more people that I can contact.

It didn't always work because people could no longer be interested or available, but it had some success. I think it's better than just making an interest check and hoping it'll do everything for you, without having to put any effort in scouting. Even if they refuse, there's the chance they'll follow the RP. Besides, it's a way to show that you liked how someone RP'ed and that you think they'd make your RP better, so at the very least it's nice to have someone think that way about how you write.

I play it simple. If i see an RP I like, I mark my place with a comment. Maybe Ill just say 'interested', or I'll comment on the idea, say what I like, what I hate. I kinda hang around there and discuss the RP until either interest runs out or the threads posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back