Advice/Help How do people with anxiety or introversion find their RP community?

Ukko

For here I come to kill the rotten heart.
I myself am a huge introvert and well have huge problems approaching people even online. Futhermore I am absolutely new to roleplay.
Actually I wanted to try it out because I´m a fan of creative writing but am suffering from writing blocks in the moment. Anyway this was kind of the motive why I want to try roleplay. But as I already said I have a huge problem approaching people as well as I´m no native english speaker. I find it extremly difficult finding a way into the community or gathering experience so I´d be grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance for any replies.

If you don’t want to approach people yourself you can make an interest check for roleplays.

Now are you interested more in groups or one on one roleplays?

Well, it really helps to know you’re talking to people who share an interest with you, I think. It’s inevitable that some communication will be necessary, but the community is friendly and understanding, and matters like introversion, anxiety, depressions and others of that sort as more common than you might think. So I believe you will find will be understanding of your situation so long as you remain friendly and show you are at least making an effort to meet them halfway.

Aside from that, there’s that first thing I mentioned: We’re here because we have a common interest in roleplaying. In interest checks you will find even more information that can help you find more common ground, particularly whatever the topic/premise/plot of the RP might be. Those common interests can serve as a platform for conversation and a safe place where you can poke in places to gradually understand the people you’re working with better, so as to feel more comfortable around them.

It might also help to know that people love to know the things they are into and do are appreciated. Just asking questions and taking an interest in other people’s characters, worlds and such can be a good way to keep a conversation going that other people are quite into. Just be sure you aren’t just giving stock responses in turn if you take this approach.

For engaging with the community without necessarily getting into a full blown RP or conversation, just to get a foot in the door, there’s the discussion subforums as well as the game subforum you could try your hand at.

One big tip when it comes to roleplay, however: You will likely be tempted to make characters that are like you, who are more quiet and introverted and who don’t really approach other people of their own accord. This is not a good idea if you’re starting out. That type of character is actually a lot harder to play because they are difficult to make them interact with others and engage with the plot without breaking character. If you don’t feel confident that you can make a character that is more actively engaged or talkative, try making one that is quiet or awkward but with some other trait(s) that make them interact with other characters of their own accord. Maybe they are kind and want to be helpful so they are eager to pick things up for people, approach them if they seem upset if they don’t really know what to do, or share their food. Or you could have a character that is too curious for their own good, and kind tries to lurk around people or approach things they are curious about despite what would be better for them. There are many possibilities, just make sure you aren’t stuck in a corner if nobody comes to engage with you specifically.

If there’s anything else you could use some help with or you’d like to ask, feel free to. Until then, I wish you the best of luck and happy roleplaying!

First off, hopefully this gives you some confidence, but from that short blurb you wrote here, I would have never been able to tell that English was not your first language. You’ve got an excellent grasp on English grammar and writing. I hope that gives you some confidence because it’s true

Secondly, I myself am a huge introvert irl, but I find myself to be very confident online. Why? Because I’m behind a screen. Realize that this is the internet and these people can’t see you, so, in my mind, I ask- what’s the harm in taking a shot in the dark? So yea I’ll ask for RPs on 1 x 1 threads and yea I’ll talk in OOC. So if it’s talking to people to actually get a roleplay started, that’s my advice and my outlook on it.

Hopefully that can maybe help you, because it has helped me quite a bit. I also find making 1 x 1 interest check threads is an excellent way to put yourself out there and not necessarily have to contact a person directly yet. In that interest check, you can also put for them to dm you so they can contact you first, if you’re nervous about making the first contact.

I am incredibly grateful to have met someone very friendly that is willing to vibe with me, even back then when I didn't really know what I was doing.

I actually had to brute force my way into feeling less anxiety, even though every message I'd send would make me so nervous I'd get nauseous I'd push through it until I got to where I am now: able to casually hold conversations with people and only get the jitters. It's a lot of trial and error but what worked for me was typing out whatever came to mind and sending it without thinking further about it. If the person you're talking to is worth your time they won't judge you for making mistakes or being a little awkward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back