Advice/Help How do I force myself out of a writer's block?

While there are some techniques to help you get out a writer's block, which I will get to in a moment, the most important thing is to keep writing. It doesn't matter if what you are writing is exactly what you should be writing or if it is the best writing, what you have to do more than anything else is not let the writer's block pull you into not writing, as it will only make your body get used to using the writer's block and similar feelings being a sign that it can skip out on putting in the effort of writing.

It's pretty much the same idea as when I talk about the muse- specifically how, despite how inspiration and specific motivation is an excellent boon to one's writing, overreliance on this mood leads to dependence on it, which in turn makes one less capable of writing without it, and without trying one becomes less able to get into that mood. Writing is a productive activity, in the sense that it produces something through one's effort, and as such, letting a mood keep you from writing will only make it harder to write in general. In short, one needs to build good writing habits.

With that said, other than in the rule that you have to write over time, this is more of an over time strategy that lets you lessen writing blocks and be able to operate even while having a writer's block. However, it may not help with your more immediate problem, so here are a few strategies that may help in a more immediate sense:

Revisit Inspiration
One common cause of writer's block is the natural dying off of hype. Most of the time when someone starts an idea they have some sort of craving for it that leads them to it in the first place. The hype for a given craving can die off as well. Thus, one thing that can help writer's block is trying to remind yourself of what made you have that hype in the first place, by rewatching, reading or talking about the thing that inspired you to work on the idea in the first place.

This strategy is good, but you have to be careful not to abuse it. The more you use this strategy for a given idea, the less effective it becomes as the novelty fades.

Break down the big task into smaller ones
Sometimes, one can have difficulties with a given task because said task appears rather daunting to them. The prospect of having to write the whole post may feel like a much more difficult task than it actually would be, or trying to think or come up with ideas "for the post" rather than something more specific like "how to respond to X thing" or "what to do to push the plot forward" can seem impossibly complicated, while the smaller and more specific tasks may seem a lot easier.

As a result, one of the best quick techniques when one has a writer's block, in my opinion, is to do this division. Rather than tackling the post or whatever else as a whole, you treat it as a sum of parts. You divide your work by what you need to have and then just add it all together.

Plan Ahead
It can also help to have material prepared ahead of time. Planning some flashbacks, particular trains of thought or small scenes ahead of time can provide you material that you can later draw on. Good, solid character design will typically also provide this kind of material, by designing characters in a way that you can deduce what they would be doing.

Talking About It
I kind of adressed it in the first tip, just more in relation the idea that inspired you, but discussing your ideas with people, talking them can help motivate you to work on them more, in general.

Hope this helps. Best of luck and happy RPing!

Honestly? It depends on the individual.

If you're the type of person who hates being forced to do things (like me) and needs to be motivated in order to do anything creative, then you just... have to wait for the motivation to come back.

I've taken almost every single piece of advice I've gotten over the years for overcoming writer's block and none of it has ever worked for me. The advice I've gotten to force myself to keep writing even when I don't want to was particularly harmful. Forcing myself to write despite not wanting to has only made me stop writing altogether. I started hated trying to write novels... so now I don't anymore. Which is a shame, considering it's always been a dream of mine to publish a novel someday. I've now given up on that.

I've learned from my mistakes though, and I approach art (now my main hobby) a little differently. I'll tell you some things I do whenever I feel art blocked, and these things can apply to writing as well.

If I feel particularly stuck, blocked, and/or unmotivated, I get out. I do something different. I forget about drawing (or writing) altogether and go do something fun. I tend to go on little walks, or sometimes drive to less populated areas and enjoy the quiet. I binge a new show or watch a new movie. Basically I look for new things to do. Maybe there's a cheap activity I can do, like drive go-karts or something d:

Sometimes, getting out or trying new things inspires you. And even if it doesn't, it's still a very helpful and necessary thing to do. You need breaks from the humdrum of everyday life. If it doesn't inspire you, it's still good for your mental health. And sometimes it does inspire you! So hey, it's a win-win.

I work on my art when I have motivation to work on my art. Yes, it's still a good idea to push myself to do it even when I'm not particularly in the mood, but if I'm feeling truly blocked and unmotivated, then I've learned for myself that it's a horrible idea to push it. I actually retain my motivation a lot better when I let myself relax.

But this all depends on how you work as an individual. For me, it's a very bad idea to push myself to keep going even when I'm blocked and unmotivated. For you, however, it may work.
I don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want to quickly address the issue brought up by PhoenixMire PhoenixMire , as it pertains to the very advice I gave as the key one. That said, while the post as written is directed at Potato, it is moreso a counterpoint to the objection for readers outside the immediate discussion.

I quite disagree with the conclusions you've taken from your experience- in particular with the notion that whether keeping the writing going even when you don't necessarily feel like it can be a harmful thing towards matters like one's ability to overcome writer's block. From past experience when someone brings up a notion such as that, they usually either expected results far earlier than anyone could expect to get it or considered that the cost of building those habits- such as the fact posts may not come out as good or that it doesn't feel as fun while you're doing it- was greater than the potential benefits. It's like a bit like hitting the gym when one isn't particularly an adept of exercising or sports, or just wants to loose weight. It's hard and one tends to try to find their way out of it, especially because the results aren't immediate, but show moreso incrementally as one gets more used to it.

That said, I don't think it's good advice to tell someone "oh it depends" when it comes to something like writing when one doesn't feel like it. Because, assuming you are correct and it indeed depends, then the person has just been given an excuse to not put in the effort, or to easily conclude "oh it's just not for me". It takes effort, time and pushing oneself, by nature, to as I call it "build good habits", and I believe that should be the default approach. If one in the end concludes what you did, I disagree, but it's fine, as long as they really tried, and it seems to me that precisely because of this unfounded idea that "it could be harmful" people give up on it too easily and the idea isn't given enough credit.

Talking about writing of course. Drawing I wouldn't know, haven't done the kind of research on it that I've done for writing.

I gotta say I’m with Potato I’m this Idea Idea . Not every person is going to have your writing process and that is totally fine.

So I would think that being told that there is more than one to handle writers block is far more helpful than putting forward one way and assuming everyone will be helped equally by it.

As to myself I actually take a similar path of Potato. I find that if I’m stuck I’ll work in another project or take a break and work on a different hobby.

I also try to figure out what exactly I’m struggling with. Is it that I don’t know how to continue a scene? Am I bored with a particular plot line? Am I getting irritated with my partner and it’s affecting my writing?

I gotta say I’m with Potato I’m this @Idea. Not every person is going to have your writing process and that is totally fine.

So I would think that being told that there is more than one to handle writers block is far more helpful than putting forward one way and assuming everyone will be helped equally by it.

When did I ever say people had the same writing process, or that there is not more than one way to handle writer's block? Heck, I even gave other suggestions of my own to deal with the problem in a more immediate sense.

You misunderstood the disagreement in my response to PhoenixMire PhoenixMire . I did not state his method was invalid, I stated that nomatter who you are, building those good habits will help, not harm. The method is universal in application, but variable in response, in the amount of time and effort needed to develop the habits, as with any other consciously-developed habits ever. There are other methods that may be faster and easier- but the supposition that it is a matter of "being the type" if you will, or not being, is one which all too easily excuses people from putting in said effort.

When did I ever say people had the same writing process, or that there is not more than one way to handle writer's block? Heck, I even gave other suggestions of my own to deal with the problem in a more immediate sense.

You misunderstood the disagreement in my response to PhoenixMire PhoenixMire . I did not state his method was invalid, I stated that nomatter who you are, building those good habits will help, not harm. The method is universal in application, but variable in response, in the amount of time and effort needed to develop the habits, as with any other consciously-developed habits ever. There are other methods that may be faster and easier- but the supposition that it is a matter of "being the type" if you will, or not being, is one which all too easily excuses people from putting in said effort.

But your assumption that your habits are universally applicable is the problem. They work for you they fit how you view writing.

I am not saying that this is how you are consciously set out the present yourself I am saying this is how you are perceived.

But your assumption that your habits are universally applicable is the problem. They work for you they fit how you view writing.

I am not saying that this is how you are consciously set out the present yourself I am saying this is how you are perceived.
My habits are not universally applicable nor am I suggesting any such thing. I said the method to produce good habits is universally applicable. The reason I can say that has nothing to do with my personal anything, it has to do with the way human beings acquire any other habit consciously, as I've already mentioned. The reason why I say this is universally applicable is the same reason the expression "practice makes perfect" exists, and the entire principle behind why the assembly line was such a success, because people naturally pick skills and can do things more easily as they repeat tasks, training, repetition, practice...

I think you should try self-reflecting so you can address the root of your problem.

If you find yourself with less time to write and have a harder time juggling your writing time with the rest of your time, or you're feeling burnt out and overwhelmed, writing in smaller, shorter bursts will help with the whole time management problem while still being able to keep a level of consistency. This definitely happens when people are stressed out over work or school, so it's all about being able to find that balance, especially when it comes to hobbies. It can be better than just stopping completely too, as long as you're still actively enjoying the act of writing. You can also just take a break and give yourself some time to relax, because everyone needs a change of pace.

As far as it concerns re: Just Keep Writing, I think this is more applicable for people when they hit one of those creative plateaus. Like, here's an infographic about what I mean as it concerns visual art, but honestly writing falls into a really similar camp.

c9fa199d8121401802a038afd0106909.png

Are you afraid of writing? Do you feel like everything you make is terrible? Do you envy people who you perceive as being much more skilled than you are? Do you feel like you just don't know what you're doing? That's pretty much what happens to every creative ever when they're at the point where they FEEEEL as if they're not progressing as smoothly as they want to, and it arguably happens to everyone who starts to learn anything ever. That's when it's important to keep pushing yourself and finding inspiration in various places that you can learn from. Soooo you can read books, find friends to write with, and try to push through those points of frustration.

I would say though, overall, if you're just not really enthused with writing as a hobby, then you can always just do something else. Maybe you'll end up missing it and come back... or you'll be a lot happier sinking your time into something else. Unless you're doing it for a living (but even then, people can change their career paths too). I just think it's really important to really think about why you're feeling the way you do. Meditate on it, write it in a journal, or talk to friends or loved ones about how you're feeling. If you feel like you're struggling with your mental health, that may also be contributing to a creative block.

aka what everyone said above but like, differently okay. I liked what rae2nerdy rae2nerdy said as well, if it just concerns a specific roleplay you're involved in: maybe you've just lost the plot or don't really like who you're dealing with, y'know.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also forgot: you can try writing something outside of your comfort zone, and try doing some kind of creative writing exercise, like writing from prompts or something similar. If you're feeling bored or feel like you've stagnated, then this would be a good way to go.

Last edited:
Idea Idea
You disagree with my experience that it’s harmful for some people to keep forcing themselves to write when they're in a creative block. And I disagree with your idea that it’s beneficial for everyone to keep forcing it.

I’ve been trying to write novels since I was six years old. I’ve studied tons of different methods for writing, and practiced improving my work for many years. I’ve tried countless ways to “get out of writer’s block”. And I’ve stuck with those methods for a long time.

Forcing myself was indeed harmful. Writing was my main passion in life and what I’d spend so much of my time doing. I worked hard to improve because I honestly thought writing would become my career and that I’d get books published. But after all those many years of forcing myself to keep writing even when I felt unmotivated, what happened? I slowly began to dread writing more and more. My creativity died rather than renewing itself. I ran out of ideas. I started to truly hate what I was doing.

And now I hate writing novels. I associate it with frustration and dread. I don’t want to go back. So yes - it was harmful for me, and it may be harmful to other people to force it.

With my art, I’m doing things differently. I’m not forcing it. If I feel no creativity and I feel frustrated with my work, then I take a break. And you know what? I’m doing way better with my art than I ever did with my writing. I’m more consistent with it and I’m more motivated for it, because not forcing it keeps my motivation up rather than slowly making me come to dread and hate it overtime.

You compared this whole thing to going to the gym. Personally, I don't think that's the best comparison - because at least for me (and it may not be this way for everyone), creativity and physical/manual labor are completely different things. Forcing yourself to work out and exercise even if you don't want to? That's good. It builds up your body and you'll start feeling great eventually, even if it takes a while. Forcing yourself to write even if you lack creativity and motivation? Not good for some people. Creativity is exactly what it sounds like. Creating. Coming up with new ideas. Coming up with unique and interesting plotlines or settings or characters. If you try to force that creation process, it simply doesn't work for some people. They need to be in the mood. But doing manual labor like working out? Doesn't require a complex creation process. You just... go to the gym. Which can be hard in its own right, but creation is a very separate and very difficult and long, complex process that requires some people to be in a motivated mindset.

It’s okay if your method works for you. It’s okay if your method works for other people. But it won’t work for everyone.

Sorry for rambling on, but I feel like I needed to state that everyone is different, and I wanted to warn anyone who may be reading this that sometimes it isn't good to force yourself. It does, however, depend on the individual, so it's a good idea to try pushing yourself at first - and if you find it's working and you're being productive despite not feeling particularly "motivated", great. Keep going. If you find you're starting to feel like I did... if forcing yourself is beginning to fill you with dread and drain your creativity faster than ever... then stop. Don't force it.

Alright. I do suppose you may have a point there that I wasn't properly understanding, that of the dread becoming associated with the writing. So, in this discussion, I'll concede.

I still believe that, for most people, it is a method that does help, not harm, though I may concede that in fact for some it may bring harm. However, I believe that it the option of pushing oneself should before the option that involves giving up on it, as otherwise one doesn't really put in the kind of effort needed for it to ever take effect.

I also want to correct something for the sake of future reference:

You disagree with my experience

I did not. In fact I very specifically and carefully said:

I quite disagree with the conclusions you've taken from your experience

I do not now, nor ever will disagree with someone's experience. Because that is a nonsensical statement. You cannot disagree with someone's experience, and saying I am makes it sound as if I was somehow dismissing or demeaning the experience. What I did disagree was on the interpretation of what that experience meant.

A lot of people on this site are prone to anxiety and poor self-esteem in general.

So I think it’s also important to remember that at the end of the day your mental health and your happiness is more important than what an anonymous stranger on the internet thinks of you.

The reason I hate the idea of pushing yourself and tying success to “effort” is that it feeds into negative self image and people’s insecurities.

It makes people feel like they are failures if they don’t live up to some arbitrary standard set by others.

And as PhoenixMire PhoenixMire mentioned that has the potential to create a negative association with roleplaying and writing in general.

I have left sites entirely because it felt like nothing I did was good enough and that anytime I tried to engage with people I just got back toxic feedback.

Which I think is the benefit with looking to yourself and working on what motivates you personally and ignoring other people.

Because it means that you won’t constantly be pitting yourself against others and coming up short.

So I think it’s also important to remember that at the end of the day your mental health and your happiness is more important than what an anonymous stranger on the internet thinks of you.

The reason I hate the idea of pushing yourself and tying success to “effort” is that it feeds into negative self image and people’s insecurities.

It makes people feel like their failures if they don’t live up to some arbitrary standard set my others.
What standards set by others? I was talking about putting effort to overcome writer's block by developing good habits, what does that have to do with anything anyone else thinks?

Alright. I do suppose you may have a point there that I wasn't properly understanding, that of the dread becoming associated with the writing. So, in this discussion, I'll concede.

I still believe that, for most people, it is a method that does help, not harm, though I may concede that in fact for some it may bring harm. However, I believe that it the option of pushing oneself should before the option that involves giving up on it, as otherwise one doesn't really put in the kind of effort needed for it to ever take effect.
I agree with that. It's usually a good idea to try something before knocking it (not always, but it's a good idea in general). So I do feel that people should try pushing themselves at first - and if it works, that's awesome.
But some people may start feeling like I did, and in cases like those, forcing themselves is really not going to help.
So yeah, it's different for everyone, and it's good to try pushing yourself and see if it works.

What standards set by others? I was talking about putting effort to overcome writer's block by developing good habits, what does that have to do with anything anyone else thinks?

A. I was not talking to you.

B. Negative self image isn’t about facts it’s about perception. And honestly the more concrete a standard you give them to judge themselves against the more likely they are to find themselves wanting.

This is especially prevelant in people who have learning disabilities, anxiety disorders, or a combination of both.

In that case going the personal route of finding what works for you is crucial because every time you try something else and fail it demoralizes you and makes you feel more othered.

Edited - sorry on my phone so can’t expand on the ideas properly.

Last edited:
Procrastinate for a couple minutes then re-read what you've written. Oftentimes I'll find that the effect I intended to have with a section of writing didn't come out very well once I've had the chance to re-read it with a clear mind. Once I've made amendments, it usually flows a lot easier from there.

A clash of contradicting ideas may have happened while I was away, which I didn't want but... Nevertheless, thank you for all your advices! I'll be sure to take it into heart and hopefully I'll find writing fun just as how it felt to me back before when I had this block. I've had these blocks before, which they only lasted about a few weeks. But this time it was different. My current block lasted months, and whenever I felt motivated to write, I end up staring at the paragraph I made, then doing something else because I can't figure out how to write/progress my work. One of the reasons why I put up this thread is that I was desperate to get back into writing. After looking at my past works, I relived how fun it is to write. Expressing my imagination, fantasies, and thoughts and compressing them into a piece of written work. The characters that I made becoming real as they interact with other characters. I wanted to experience all of these again.

That said, thank you all again and hopefully I'll get back into writing as soon as possible.

Also, for the new thread viewers, feel free to keep posting your advices here, since it may help other writers overcome their block by reading these advices.

Yeah, it's something that I like to do, is reread what I've already written in order to find inspiration again. If that doesn't work, then read something else that somebody has written or watch a show/movie. Doesn't always work but, hey, it's an idea :P

Personally, I just like to watch movies/shows or read books. Eventually, I come up with an idea based off of something in one of the aforementioned pieces of media, and after I think up ONE idea, others follow suit.

At least, that's how my brain works. I can't say anything about yours, my odd mind isn't universal.

I normally get very specific writer's block so I make sure to have at least two projects to work on that I can put on hold at any time, at the moment it's this website, a fantasy story and a science fiction story. So when I can't think of anything for here I jump to the other and maybe try and find inspiration from some very weird sources... I may have put religious werewolves in my fantasy story due to a POWERWOLF song because of that. Then again heavy metal tends to give me really good ideas in general so if nothing else works just listen to Gloryhammer for science fiction inspiration, POWERWOLF for fantasy/religious inspiration and Wind Rose for specifically Dwarf-based inspiration.

Expose yourself to highly creative material! To get the "blood pumping" again so to speak! Always helps me when I run out of rp ideas!

Depends on why you feel that you can't write. If you're anything like me - and that's a big if, but I can only really help if I am familiar with the situation, so I'm gonna use myself as a reference - it's probably due to one of the following reasons:

1. Perfectionism

You don't want to write because you feel that what you produce is not good enough. The problem is that it will probably never be good enough in your eyes because the failure is not in your writing, but in your mindset. The solution, at least for me, is to stop caring so much and just write. Yeah, it's as easy as it sounds (which is, not at all).

2. Not knowing what to write

That probably means that the roleplay hasn't been planned out too well. Message your partner and try to come up with a solution together! That's one of the beautiful things about roleplaying; you're never alone.

3. Being bored with the scenery

Just change it, duh. Write a time-skip, you're allowed to do that. Make exciting things happen. Sky is your limit, friend. Be pro-active!

Aaaand that's pretty much it. There are other things you can do to increase your productivity, but I feel like other people have covered that already, so I'm not gonna repeat their words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back