Advice/Help How can you peak interest in a RP where you can't play as a human.

ewolf20

the aspiring roleplayer
Hey, it's been a long time hasn't it? I kinda had to leave a while back then come to lurk in bbcode threads. now that i'm here and ready to RP, I wanna ask one question: Are you willing to play as a insect? an arachnid or even a crustacean?

awhile back I pitched an idea that was met with cold silence for what felt like months. I wasn't confident in the idea and had to abandon it. This could go with anything like elves, furries, freaking aliens.

Share you vision. What about these ideas appeals to you? If you can really get into why you like it, and why you think it's interesting, I think people are more likely to get on board. Also, explain logistics. If you ask someone, "Hey, want to play as an insect?", tell them what playing an insect actually looks like. Explain how these insects speak telepathically to one another, how there's a strict hierarchy, how you want to make a game about the soldier ants that have to go and save the hive queen, etc.

Just be certain to go about explaining the world (as in, how your characters experience things. You don't want to dump research on your players)

Also, as much as we might not like it, ultimately all characters turn more or less human-ish in psychology. Whether they are mad, fun and loving or even lost in thought.
=> Make sure that people can understand/be interested in what you're offering.

Put the most prominent part of the RP into the title. What is it really about? What is this RP at its core?
If the sole purpose of the roleplay is "A bunch of elves kill a bunch of things", name it accordingly. (Though perhaps not inspirational, it serves its purpose.)
You might make a bunch of these, each with a different group. (completely up to you, though)

If you don't want one-liners or have specific schedules you want to try, make it clear from the very beginning. (Not to filter away people interested in playing, rather get people with the same mindset in your RP)
A ton of stuff boils down to "Communication, communication, communication!". So, I guess that's key.

Not playing a human isn't really something that can be made appealing on its own. Either people exclusively make human characters and don't join, or they don't exclusively make human characters and decide whether to join based on how interested they are. All you really have to do is just make the roleplay good in general. And not target a specific group that does human characters most of the time.

I pretty much do non-humans exclusively, so you have at least one person willing to hear your idea.

I love non-human RP. I started out RPing as Warrior Cats, wolves, and dogs.

I don’t think many people would enjoy insects and frogs however, but only because not a whole lot of people know about them. Canines and felines are ez pz. Crustaceans, insects? Not so much. But if the idea is really creative and fun, people can be swayed. Many people enjoy trying new things.

Writing a few paragraphs in the style of the RP to demonstrate the world, characters and possibilities of the RP could also help generate interest.

awhile back I pitched an idea that was met with cold silence for what felt like months. I wasn't confident in the idea and had to abandon it. This could go with anything like elves, furries, freaking aliens.
Starting by answering the title "how can you generate interest", well the same way you'd generate interest for any other kind of RP.

-Know and display the appeal of a strictly non-human roleplay , plus compensate for the weaknesses of lacking human characters
-Make sure to highlight the nonhuman part by creating a plot that either caters to it or is simple enough that it can pass as a side-thing.
-Sell yourself as a partner or GM, this is, show them the appeal of having youas a GM or partner and how far you are willing to put your heart into it

I'll detail on any of those if needed, but that's basically it. Beyond that it's a matter of being informative and chance. You can't really make people like something, so your task is to convince people that your roleplay is worth the time they'll spend in it. Show them WHY it will be worth it.

Now, your comment also prompts another matter altogether though. The question of "will you succeed"? Honestly, I can't see the future so I wouldn't know for sure. For starters it would depend on whether you're going to make it more "everyone gets to pick their own non-human thing" or if it's just gonna be one group of things, like, just bugs. The latter has little chance of success unless you pick something like wolves, maybe vampires... as those are almost popular enough to be their own subgenre. For that reason you should also count on them appearing a lot if you go with the first option too.
Still, if I had to throw a guess, I'd say you'll probably have some interest, but it's too feeble to last. The idea isn't solid enough, it doesn't have an innate direction, thus I would expect it to stale out. Your best shot is to go with a simpler RP that's easier to keep up with post-wise.

Are you willing to play as a insect? an arachnid or even a crustacean?
Willing? Maybe. Would depend on the plot and other specifics about the character. I have never done so though. The closest I did was actually one of my favorite OCs, Kneckt, a mantid (this sort of insectoid humanoid lowkey based on the wow mantid race) alchemist.

Hope you find this helpful! Good luck and happy Rping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back