• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Hey man, this thread's closed.

Sepulchritude

Perpetual Brainfart
Hello, fellow roleplay enthusiast!
I'm a developing writer, seeking to improve my art. I also have a fantasy world of my own creation in need of development, so I'm looking for a talented partner who is willing to aid me in my quest!
First off, I should start by telling you about the world in question.

• As you might have guessed from the title, the world is called Okame. It's a land with heavy Asian influences, taking equal inspiration from the cultures of China, Japan, Korea and so forth. (Though Japan gets special attention.) It has elements of both the supernatural and the mundane, the past and the future.
  • The biomes of Okame are exceedingly diverse, and the wildlife is even more so. Besides the usual assortment of real-world creatures, there also exist dragons, qilin, kappa and other mythological beasts.
  • The world is quite divided in terms of technological and cultural advancement, thanks to a recent industry revolution caused by its latest rulers.Whereas some areas of the world may be home to simple wooden huts and old-fashioned religions, other parts have massive modern cities and cutting-edge tech, though none of it is as advanced to our level. Think steam/cyberpunk.
  • Magic exists as well, in the form of Kuji, or more specifically, small-scale reality bending as an art form.
  • SIMPLE BACKSTORY:
For millenia, the people of Okame have lived in a state of war and, occasionally, uncertain peace, as three major factions of warlords have dueled for control over the land:
The Ohabe Clan, champions of traditional warfare and upholders of the Way of the Sword, the Shin Zhao warrior monks, masterful practitioners of Kuji Energy manipulation and the Shotodan Samurai, the jacks of all trades but masters of none.
However, during an era of unsteady cooperation between all three factions, the Shotodan Samurai happened upon an incredible discovery. None quite know what they truly found, but what was certainly known was that in a matter of months, the Shotodan marched forth with a sizable army of clattering metal machinery in unstoppable conquest.
The Ohabe were all but obliterated under a hail of flying lead, whilst the Shin Zhao were pushed completely out of their capitals and into the farthest reaches of Okame.
Their position as rulers of the land firmly situated, the Shotodan spread their craft to the winds and Okame entered an age of great technological advancement, albeit under the iron fist of the fierce Samurai.
And so Okame has carried along this way for nearly a century.
But all "golden" ages must come to an end eventually. Recently, terrible attacks have been reported from the outskirts of Okame, perpetrated by terrible beasts that neither sword nor magic could kill indefinitely; Strike a monster down and within a week the exact same one would return with a small army to wreak terrible vengeance on the defender.
The terrified victims of the attacks dubbed these monsters Oni.
Concerned by the ferocity of the monsters and fearing the stability of their kingdom, the Shotodan have dispatched themselves throughout the land in a hurried attempt to silence the opposition; however, through spreading their forces out, they have opened themselves up to attack.
With the aid of mercenary companies, hired assassins and spies, the remains of the Shin Zhao have been gathering strength once more and are beginning to get ready to take back what they believe is rightfully theirs.
At the same time, multiple other minor factions of ninja, independent champions and heroes, the long-dormant remains of the Ohabe and everyone else in-between are eyeing the cracks in the Shotodan's wall with interest, watching and waiting for the opportunity to slip through and seize power themselves.

~

This is, of course, just the tip of the iceberg in terms of world development. If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask. Note though that I've not completely finished building the world and even what I have currently is rather flexible. Discussion of and contribution to this land is highly welcome!

Now, for details about me and my style.

• I'm a moderately experienced writer. I've been involved in several minor roleplays and one very large one, which I've been working on regularly since the beginning of the year. I have a firm command over grammar and a slightly less firm command over pacing and sentence structure.
  • My posts vary in terms of length and detail; I'm a fairly temperamental writer (which means my writing quality is somewhat dependant on my mood). Outside of that, however, I adjust my post sizes as I see fit for the story. I won't expect a minimal amount of words from you; The only thing I request is meaningful contribution to the story.
And for the most important part: What I'd like to see in a partner. Note that you don't have to fill all these requirements, but I'd be quite obliged if you did.
  • You must be a talented and capable writer, experienced in your work. A substantial history of roleplaying is welcome, but not required. Upon applying, please provide at least two examples of your work; I will provide examples of my own, too, upon request.
  • As mentioned above, the one thing I desire the most is self-improvement. As such, I'm hoping you will be willing to dispense advice as is necessary; I'm not asking for a tutor, of course, but I would very much appreciate constructive feedback.
  • You should be willing to have fun! I don't want this to be a super-serious experience after all. (would anyone?)
Welp, I guess that wraps things up. If you satisfy the requirements and find the setting intriguing, by all means hit me up! I eagerly await your response.

Last edited:
Sepulchritude Sepulchritude

Hey there. I'm interested, but I'm also really not supposed to be on right now (-cough cough- procrastinating actual work -cough cough-) so I can't write/sift through prior writing to provide an example at the moment.

Anyway, I spend an ornate amount of time doing world building for personal writing purposes, so you could say developing worlds has become kind of my niche in recent events. I spend a lot of time using writing to hone my craft. I'm not sure what I'd have to teach you, but vice versa if it works out, I'd like to see what sort of tricks other writers have up their sleeves as well.

If you have time, and I don't sound like a terrible empty shell of a human, PM me! Maybe kick us off with a writing sample of your own so when I can get to it I have an idea of what length/style you're looking for, hm?

I was actually in the process of rewriting the entire prompt, didn't expect to have any takers. Thank you for taking notice regardless!

Ah, you sound exactly like the type of person I've been looking for. Not the empty shell part, lol. I'll shoot you a PM asap.

Hello there! Amazing plot idea you have there! Given the number of steps to be taken such as providing writing examples, shall we move to PMs? I can organize my own contributions much easier that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back