• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Answered Has anyone else noticed rpnation acting up more and more??

Nokumi

Honor. That's what I'm after. Fame. That's my goal
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Me and some friends been noticing it’s been breaking a lot more and acting up. It will pop up the host issue problem but then a few minutes later or even a few seconds it works. Or it will say refresh or security error for like 6 minutes despite refreshing work a little and then go blank white.

Is there a reason for this or is it just me??

Y e s.

When I first tried to get on after work (maybe about an hour ago?) it gave me the 500 error. Then the weird cloudflare (?) error. And I've had random odd errors and down notices periodically since that time it went down not too long ago that I know they made an announcement about. It doesn't tend to last for long, and it clears up pretty fast, but yeah, I'm noticing it, too.

Interesting problems and interesting solutions.

The live reply feature means that your browser always has an open connection to the server hanging around. This connection is new since the live reply feature is new - it used to be that loading a page was one and done. Now, these new persistent connections stack up based on how many users are active on the site, and we hit some internal server limit that needed to be increased.

Everything looks good for now.

I believe this thread belongs in Community Hub rather than Roleplay Discussion and Advice, doesn't it?

That being said, my two cents would be to ask why the decision was made to even add the 'Current Activity' feature to RPN? To my knowledge, it isn't something people have been asking for, it isn't something a site like RPNation needs and, if I'm being frank, it isn't something I like seeing on here at all ^^"

I believe this thread belongs in Community Hub rather than Roleplay Discussion and Advice, doesn't it?

That being said, my two cents would be to ask why the decision was made to even add the 'Current Activity' feature to RPN? To my knowledge, it isn't something people have been asking for, it isn't something a site like RPNation needs and, if I'm being frank, it isn't something I like seeing on here at all ^^"

I've gone ahead and moved the thread to The Community Hub.

As to why it exists, the feature has always existed, for years in fact. It was just inconsistent and pretty broken. It just means you can see replies to stuff without refreshing the page.

Heres the announcement thread about it :)!

I've gone ahead and moved the thread to The Community Hub.

As to why it exists, the feature has always existed, for years in fact. It was just inconsistent and pretty broken. It just means you can see replies to stuff without refreshing the page.

Heres the announcement thread about it :)!

Yes new posts would appear while you were reading a thread, but there was no stressful and intrusive band at the top of your post telling you whether or not someone is typing at that very moment. Why on earth would we need that?

Yes new posts would appear while you were reading a thread, but there was no stressful and intrusive band at the top of your post telling you whether or not someone is typing at that very moment. Why on earth would we need that?

That just came with the update, its not something we actively decide to turn on. We do use a software called xenForo and third-party mods, fixes, developers and so forth. This was one such third-party update. I can't speak for the programmer who made it or for xenforo, but I assume its because other forum software already do this (Discourse, Invision, etc). I can try to hide it with some CSS so it can't be seen, but it's still technically there.

That just came with the update, its not something we actively decide to turn on. We do use a software called xenForo and third-party mods, fixes, developers and so forth. This was one such third-party update. I can't speak for the programmer who made it or for xenforo, but I assume its because other forum software already do this (Discourse, Invision, etc). I can try to hide it with some CSS so it can't be seen, but it's still technically there.
Ah, well that makes sense and explains why it showed up out of nowhere xD If there is a way to hide it that's not a huge coding imposition I would definitely be in favor of that, bc it's totally stressful x.x

Ah, well that makes sense and explains why it showed up out of nowhere xD If there is a way to hide it that's not a huge coding imposition I would definitely be in favor of that, bc it's totally stressful x.x

I'll see if I can make a profile toggle where you can turn that off. Will take me a few days, but I think I can do it. It wouldn't actually be messing with the physical code of the feature, it's just a visual style thing, so we control the site's theme.

I'll see if I can make a profile toggle where you can turn that off. Will take me a few days, but I think I can do it. It wouldn't actually be messing with the physical code of the feature, it's just a visual style thing, so we control the site's theme.
Psst.

Disable it here. https://www.rpnation.com/account/account-details above the "About you" box.

One last followup, theres even a little disable me button that appears ontop now. Takes you to the page.

I only see disable not disable me

If you click on the words disable me right above the activity typing bar, it just takes you to the page where you can do it. It was just a quick and handy link.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    563.6 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back