Advice/Help Has anyone been in a band?

Deredere

He/they. I can tell you your aesthetic
I want to do a highschool band story/rp, but I've never had personal experiences. I had a senior in highschool that I knew was an alt rock band, but that was about it. Is there any tips on how to describe a steady beat of drums or the light flowy strums of an acoustic guitar? I'll give out a sample of my work too and see how it can be fixed or sound better

I have both been in a band and described music a lot in RP. However I don't know that I am any good at either of those things so.... happy to take a look if you like.

What you have so far about light flowy strums sounds pretty good, I can picture ... er... hear-imagine that.

What's the difference between a synthesizer and a keyboard? Or are they the same thing?

The keyboard itself is the instrument where the synth by itself is not. But in most modern references you see the two referenced as one another equally.

How to I describe a character being uplifted and empowered from picking up and playing an instrument. I'll show you my sample of work I'm trying to convey and see what improvements it needs.

Michael's first time at the studio.
His eyes wandered around the room. Cob webs were dispersed around the studio. It gave hints of fading as the walls had lost it's vibrant soul it once had. The furniture was tattered ,clawed at, and standing on its last legs. He then has pierced his eyes on the acoustic guitar. It had a creamy glow to it against the scattered light coming through the window. It's ambient glow glistened in his hazel eyes that made them dialate. He had his mouth gaping as crept his way over to the guitar and had a firm grasp on it. He shook a bit as he looked behind him before focusing his eyes back on the guitar. He went to sit down on the coarse ground below him. His hands fidgets as his gauntly fingers tried to position themselves in the right spot. He then slowly closed his eyes and took two longing deep breaths to melt his worries away. He quickly found his placing on the guitar and plucked a little string. His mind wandered into parts he didn't know existed as his fingers had a mind of it's own struming away. The soft strum of the guitar gave a glimpse of life to the studio.

How to I describe a character being uplifted and empowered from picking up and playing an instrument.

Is there a specific part of your excerpt that you want feedback on? Chances are that the guitar would sound really shitty if it had been sitting there for a long time without someone to care for it unless you want your character to be tone-deaf. Guitars need to be tuned.

Thanks! You don't have to use curse words, but thank you very much. Sorry if I sound like an unculture swine. How many people are typically in a band? I can't remember if it's 4 or 7. I really don't want to sound rude to the people that helped me. Thank you for your response.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should do and do some individual research on the subjects you are interested in. Just take the time to go online and research a few instruments and bands that you could take some inspiration from. There is a lot of information out there. YouTube could be a good resource for you, too. There are a bunch of music tutorials you could take a quick peek at just to get an idea for how instruments are played.

To add on to Musician's point about tuning, maybe you could have him sit down and tune the guitar from whatever condition its in, and he could feel life returning to it as he tunes the strings one by one, and then when he plays his first chord, it's like he's resuscitated it and it can breathe again? Tuning an instrument is very satisfying.

Most rock bands tend to have 4-5 people. The basic make up of a rock band is: vocalist, guitarist, bass guitarist, drummer, but you can also have the vocalist playing guitar as well, or have a rhythm guitar and lead guitar, and maybe a keyboardist. Bands can have any number of people in really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back