• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Grand Seekers - A Treasure Hunting MMORPG OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Fluxbauble Fluxbauble
My stats at lv 1 were my stats outside the parenthesis.

EDIT: i made my level five skill. Tell me what you think?

Last edited:
You know what I think I assumed your base stat for strength and speed were 4 instead 8 and I thought the parentheses numbers were what you added to get the total. That's on me I apologize. Now that I see it that way I don't believe there is anything wrong stat wise with your character. Just come up with a 3rd skill like I said and she should be good to go once this gets started.

Ohh got it! I’ll get that done then. Thank you!

Kumii Kumii I believe you need to look over the Thunder affinity again. It should be +1 to Strength and +1 to Magic for your affinity level up. Your base stats seem to be in order though so that's good but I think you have the same issue that SimpleCine has and you forgot about your 8 additional stat points for leveling up. These points can be allocated to whatever stats you wish. Once that's done and you finish up the rest of your character (backstory and creating a 3rd skill for 5th level) I will look it over again.
Creating a backstory without RPing is a bit of a no-go for me. I like the element of surprise.

Wrote out my level 5 skill. I wasn't sure is sustained skills were allowed but i went ahead and made it. Let me know if i should change it ^_^

Fluxbauble Fluxbauble
My stats at lv 1 were my stats outside the parenthesis.

EDIT: i made my level five skill. Tell me what you think?
When I add up just the base stats then I get 25 not 20. Can you double check that for me? As for your 5th level skill I like it. So if I'm reading correctly you purposefully miscast but in exchange you gain a stack that makes it so you don't miscast? Is that stack used on your next throw or is that to be used at your discretion?

Wrote out my level 5 skill. I wasn't sure is sustained skills were allowed but i went ahead and made it. Let me know if i should change it ^_^
I didn't know what you meant by sustained skilled until I read it lol. No that's fine. I would change it to Stance though since it's a buff skill that takes effect so long as your in that stance. Other than that I like it. Kinda shows your character personality through. Which is the point of having you all come up with your own skills.

Im going to just keep mine at 20 points
That's fine for now. But just bear in mind that you have those points to spend at your leisure while the affinity related stat points are added regardless. So if you can show at least that and finish up the rest of the CS then you should be fine. I'll look at it again once that's done. Other than that though I like the idea of a Heavy Blade Earth character. He'll hit like a truck and keep on chugging along too lol.

When I add up just the base stats then I get 25 not 20. Can you double check that for me? As for your 5th level skill I like it. So if I'm reading correctly you purposefully miscast but in exchange you gain a stack that makes it so you don't miscast? Is that stack used on your next throw or is that to be used at your discretion?

I fixed my stats. You were right, cause i distributed my stats as 5s all round not thinking properly, before i edited them. Oops.

Also, it's usuable at my discretion, for the duration of whatever battle. Once im conaidered out of combat i'd lose the stacks. Also, its less my next attack cant missfire, it gives me a sigil that can't missfire (but, the missfire side wont boost.)
It is a high-risk high-reward skill, though if that seems a bit too broken i can nerf myself. I have no big deal with it.
I have plenty more skills churning in my brain anyways. (Also how often do we make new skills?)

Math for non math people;

You get 20 points at level 1, 2 points every level thereafter (totaling 8 at level 5), and +1 to each of your two element stats eath level (+8 total again, but in a forced place.)

You have to put one point in each stat, so you effectively start with a 1 in each and 15 points to work with plus your 8 from leveling (totalling 23). Your two element stats start at 5 though, since you get +4 to each at level 5. Here's a sample;

Element: Light (defense & magic)

Strength: 1
Defense: 5
Speed: 1
Magic: 5
Resistance: 1

With 23 points to put into stats as you desire.

So adding them up at the end you should get 36 total stat points

As long as I'm mathing out, Speed is OP right now and we have no rules for Magic and Resistance. Just wanted to point that out before someone pours all their stats into speed and makes a monster. Or thinks they're making a monster only for the rules to change.

I wanted to msg some changes to the dmg formula. I feel like speed should not eliminate damage. It feels unnatural. Also the rules for mag/res are the same as str/def. Sooo yeah.

So one of my play testers brought the concept of the Avoidance/ Evasion stat to me regarding this system. I've used it before and it had some mixed success so I wanted to bring up with you all and see what you think and if it will work better than what we currently have. Honestly anything is probably better than what we currently have, but that's why it's a work in progress. Basically we add the Evasion stat to our stat pool make it solely a defensive stat alongside Defense and Resistance and we shift Speed to be solely an offensive stat.

Speed will work somewhat like in Fire Emblem where it determines how accurate you are and if you manage to have double the Speed of your opponent you can strike twice but the second strike will be for half damage in this game. So it would be:

Speed + (Strength or Magic) = Accuracy VS Evasion + (Defense or Resistance) = Chance to Miss. Or simplified, an Accuracy Check or AC for short.

If the attacker beats the AC of of the defender then the attack goes through and it is calculated as the offensive stat against the defensive stat for damage with the difference being the damage dealt. So it should look like:

Strength - Defense = Damage for physical attacks
Magic - Resistance = Damage for magical attacks

There is a chance for 0 damage to be dealt. I will admit I didn't know exactly what I was thinking when I wanted even failed attacks to deal 1 damage, so I'm gonna retcon that and return it back to 0 damage. Cause if you're playing a tanky character then you're probably more than likely to take a hit but you will be able to shrug it off as compared to a speedy character who will try and avoid the attack entirely. It's not a perfect fix I know and this is something I'm currently thinking of working with at the moment. If I'm being honest this has been a very contested issue with me and my friends on how we should make the stats more balanced and we've been trying to get it down for 3 years. So any feedback would be awesome. Please tell me what you think and I will get with everyone regarding the calculations tomorrow cause I have to go to bed since I have work in the morning. But I will be able to stay updated while at work so barring I don't receive any notifications for any unforseen reasons I am relatively available most of the day.

Rose-Chan Rose-Chan Regarding your skill I don't foresee any problem with since it's only used and effective while in combat. So unless I'm having a major oversight with it because these calculations have been kicking me in the proverbial teeth for the last few days you're good on skills.

Fluxbauble Fluxbauble
I just want to know exactly how the boost works? will it just add a small percentage of my magic back onto the stat? i have ideas of how to work it with other skills i have in mind, but for now i need to know how it'll affect damage.

Also i reccomend having avoiding be partly a chance based system. If an enemy outspeeds you and out strengths you it isnt possible to beat them. That feels a bit redoculous to me. (Maybe im wrong on this) But i feel instead A's speed - B's evasion stat can give us a simple but effective way to get dodge chance. Of course woth the small numbers we work with, i reccomend it more like...
(Speed × Evade ×1.5)×2= Hit rate of the attack in %.
This makes speed a good stat to invest in but not entirely able to keep up with someone who pumps into evade, but pumping into evade will reduce your ovwrall damage to potebtiall zero, or cause yoi to never hit etc.

I recommend you guys playtest that? It seems like a good one to me anyways. If you dont like it i can just kinda stick quiet.

So the booster stones (which I'm assuming is what youre talking about) can either alter the spells function or boost its dmamage output which is what you're concerned with. What we're currently working with is that on a success (a roll of 2-6 on a d6) your spell is given a +2 to damage calculation for every successful booster applied but each booster you use increases the chance for a miscast by 1. So using 2 booster stones mean your success range is 3-6 and if you roll a 1 or 2 you miscast.

As for the evade chance I'll have to run the numbers on that equation but i like the sound of that. The idea for this is that everyone has the same lifepoint count but based on your stats you can either reduce or mitigate the damage depending on your build. Thats also why the stats are so low. This was never meant to be a monster stats game but each hit will count for something. Thats the balance I'm trying to strike and i really do appreciate you all for working with me on this. I want this to work but I dont want anyone to feel cheated because their stats werent optimized or something. At the same time having people find ways to break the game is the reason we have playtesters lol.

Im kind of hoping we can get a vit of a sandbox thread to teat out abilities we make or plan to make. I have a few in mind that use the booster stone mechanic for non-damage purposes.

Tsuna Tsuna Until I can get the combat stats fixed I don't exactly see an issue with anyone starting. But try not to engage in any combat for the time being until I can get this figured out. Unless you want to post about you fighting some monsters then that's fine. I have no objections with that. The combat mechanic is mostly in regards to pvp. I'll set up the scene for you guys here in a bit so you can all start logging in and actually role play.

Rose-Chan Rose-Chan I'll build something akin to a testing area and replace the link for the Other hyperlink there so you all can test stuff out and I can see exactly what you all have in mind and then I can approve of it or see if it needs more work. Also that suddenly makes way more sense in the calculations. I was stumped on how that worked lol. I'll run it a few times and then get back to you on it. Hopefully this works. If not, going with (Speed - Evasion) to get a flat number and then rolling a die may not be such a bad idea either. I feel like this rp should be in the dice-rolling thread at this point hahaha. I guess that's my mistake. I'll burn that bridge when I cross I suppose. But yeah let me run this equation a bit, get back to you, and then I'll see about getting that testing area built for everyone to experiment their skills in.

This actually looks rather interesting to take part in. Is it too late to try and start working on a CS? And is there a specific deadline for me to finish it? I've been busy with work and classes lately, so I'd like to know if I have enough time to join in.

This actually looks rather interesting to take part in. Is it too late to try and start working on a CS? And is there a specific deadline for me to finish it? I've been busy with work and classes lately, so I'd like to know if I have enough time to join in.
I'm currently in the midst of rewriting some things due to some balancing issues that I'm facing. There isn't a deadline for submitting a CS and in all honesty the CS might change to better fit the tweaks I'm working on. If you are still interested then go ahead and work on it, but for now you just need to do the following:
  • Fill out everything to the best of your abilities
  • Leave your stats blank for now
  • Come up with a 3rd skill that is related to your weapon and/or affinity that is unique to your character
Other than that I'm glad to hear you're interested.

I'm currently in the midst of rewriting some things due to some balancing issues that I'm facing. There isn't a deadline for submitting a CS and in all honesty the CS might change to better fit the tweaks I'm working on. If you are still interested then go ahead and work on it, but for now you just need to do the following:
  • Fill out everything to the best of your abilities
  • Leave your stats blank for now
  • Come up with a 3rd skill that is related to your weapon and/or affinity that is unique to your character
Other than that I'm glad to hear you're interested.

Nice. I'll start working on what I can as soon as possible. Thank you! ^^

As for those who are, hopefully, still interested in this I have some new ideas and I wanted your opinions on them.

First off regarding the balancing issues. I'm leaning towards the idea of simply removing the Speed stat from the game. It's become too much of a hassle for me personally and I can't seem to find a tweak that feels justified to keep it. The only other option I can feel good about having Speed remain in the game is if it just simply determines who goes first in combat with the higher speed stat character getting to strike first. Think of it basically like Initiative in D&D and other Tabletop RPGs. I still think that if you double the speed of whoever you're attacking you get 2 attacks on your turn with the second attack dealing half damage is fair in my head since the speedy characters (in theory) shouldn't be dealing any amounts of damage that say a tank character can't handle. If that's not gonna work for anyone then I'll simply remove it. I want dodging to be a thing, but I personally can't come to a solution that makes it feel fair without simply bringing in armor stats into the game.

On that point, do you feel we should have an armor system put into the game? Armor would provide another element of stat modification but will carry both positive and negative stat changes. So for example you can wear heavy plate mail which will drastically boost your DEF stat at the cost of lower you SPD stat (assuming speed is still a thing). Or let's say you're wearing some well tailored clothes that are enchanted to boost your MAG stat but at the cost of lowering your RES stat. Those are some simple examples that I have but if that strikes your fancy please let me know what you think.

I want to express my deep appreciation for you all for sticking with me on this. I know it's taking me a really long time to OFFICIALLY get this RP rolling but I just want to make sure that everyone will have fun.
Xio Xio Rose-Chan Rose-Chan Tsuna Tsuna SimpleCine SimpleCine Kumii Kumii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back