• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Gods?! But they been didn't exist yesterday (God Game set in a 19th Century World)

Murtox

GDP
There is a world where Gods didn't exist, magic is nonexistent. The poor souls that inhabit the world of Estaratia are truly alone and they don't even know it, even though they have advanced pretty far in the development of their civilization, they remain truly limited when compared to the capabilities of a true God. Ever since they left their caves, the humans of this world have harnessed and exploited the power of nature to their advantage and it truly shows. They have truly massive cities, factories that churn out finished goods at a rate unprecedented in their history, machines that allow them to transport both themselves and materials over long distances at a speed that no animal could ever match.

This shouldn't be surprising, after all, this world is going through their 2nd industrial revolution. Recently they have been able to harness electricity to illuminate whole cities at night. It seems that these humans don't have any limitations in their world, but there is a slight problem even though most of them can be considered religious and believers of something beyond themselves. A trend of a steady rise of unbelievers has begun to take hold of this world, this, of course, wouldn't mean anything in the large scale of things if it weren't for one slight problem. The Gods are being reborn, one by one, Gods of cosmical origin and power have begun appearing and they are tied to no other world than this one. The only source of faith in this universe.

Gods that will only be sated by the full faith and belief potential of this world. Gods that will have to contend with the tide of history of an entire civilization and that may have everlasting effects on the balance of power in this world. Mortals that may decide to challenge the Gods in their quest of total dominance over the beliefs and control of the mortal world, Mortals who without even knowing it would fight against forces far beyond their understanding for many reasons. From preserving the status quo to fighting against what seems to be fanatics and heretics.

While the world continues onwards towards technological advancement will the Gods be able to find a place in this world for their believers and miracles? Or will they simply fail and be forgotten, their energies consumed by the entropy of the Cosmos. We shall find out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: This is a God game that unlike many, it's set on an already advanced and evolving world. The Gods act as a new force nature that must contend with already established religions and nation-states, seeking to find believers while also fighting against the mortal forces that may attack their believers and worship. Gods will be making use of a simple action-based system per turn, however, players may not only apply to become Gods but also as heroes or prophets. Weaker on their own right, but still able to make decisive changes in their particular corner of the world perhaps even more directly and easily than the Gods themselves due to their mortal nature. Heroes may be generals of already existing nations, they may be inquisitors of already existing religions or perhaps the new champions of the new Gods.

Gods will be limited on what they can do at first, land shaping will be minor and creating races will be possible but they will have to contend with already sprawling colonial empires and nation-states throughout the world. This is not to say that creating a new race for the sake of worship is totally unfeasible at the beginning, but it will have its hardships. As such, Gods may be more inclined to begin expanding their worshippers amongst the already existing human population in the world before trying grander plans and schemes.

As a GM, I will be posting regular updates around the happenings around the world with an emphasis on narrative and character-based turn reports for Gods and heroes alike. I think if I can get 6 people interested in this kind of game, I can safely begin making the ruleset for this game. Below is the map to be used for this game.

unknown.png

Map found in Alternatehistory.com by Ella all credits go to that user​

Sounds cool! Also, can a god die? As in, be killed directly or indirectly by normal people (mortals/not-gods)

Sounds cool! Also, can a god die? As in, be killed directly or indirectly by normal people (mortals/not-gods)

I will not say that it is not possible, but at the same time, it is something that would require legendary levels of shenanigans to get done. The main way of killing Gods will be through simply starvation not allowing them to have worshippers or have their worshippers executed or pursued.

Sounds Fun!
I would probably be a god firstly
But i also want to be a hero/General of some nation.
Can we have more than one character?
And if no than ill be a god

Sounds Fun!
I would probably be a god firstly
But i also want to be a hero/General of some nation.
Can we have more than one character?
And if no than ill be a god

I will hold it off at a single character per PC. Just not to overcomplicate things.

ok i'll be a god then. Do i need to fill out character sheet?

Not just yet, I am going to post the basic gist of character creation. I have still to add more traits and disadvantages to Gods, plus making the Hero creation part of the Chargen. Then I have to fill up the world, it may take a while to get all this started that's why I began an interest check first.

God Character Creation: Gods are beings of large power, they make use of two main mechanics which are complemented by a third. First God Power basically a currency to make use of their actions, while domains are realms of nature that they have control over. There are a limited amount of domains that may be expanded on, they grant you not only special modifiers and unique actions. But also have special thresholds to win even more GP beyond what amount you receive from your worshippers.

Name:

Description:

Traits:

Starting Package:
20 Starting God Power
+10/GP turn (Reduces by 1 every turn until it is 0)
5 Trait Points

Domains: No God begins with a domain, that is to say, complete domination over a single aspect of universal life. Gods with domains are able to do things beyond what a normal God would ever hope to do in their current state. Gods with Domains are given special actions that are akin to miracles but that are related to their specific areas of Domain. Domains can be won over during game time, but many Gods can and will be able to compete for a domain making use of their God Power to bid for a specific domain or perhaps due to their own actions may be given a domain.

Traits:
-One with the Universe: This God is not affected as much by the natural entropy that plagues this universe meaning that they don't have to spend as much power to remain "alive" and keep control over a domain. Halve all God power Upkeep. [3 Points]

-A Mortal Form: Most Gods simply don't have the means to directly intervene in the mortal realm, materializing bodies of immense power and that hold their "souls" is truly a tiring and very energy-consuming affair, however, some Gods have a natural knack for the creation of such bodies. This allows them to interact with the mortal world directly for a limited period of time. [5 Points --> Gets Access to Materialize Godhood: Creates an Avatar of Divine Power that can be given one action per turn. This action has a cooldown of two turns and costs 10 God Power to use.]

-Mortal Empathy: Gods don't have the same sense of right and wrong as humans do, but some Gods have an easier time understanding and empathizing with humans meaning that they can also use this knowledge to gain more worshippers. [2 Points][Gods with this trait gain worshippers faster]

-Creative Maker: Not all Gods are the same and some of them are simply more creative than others, these Gods are the type of Gods who love to have their creatures or races wander the earth. [2 Points][Creatures you make become more common in their natural habitat and Races you make get one extra trait]

-Lucky God: Gods can also fail, there is no guaranteed certainty that the waterfall you try to make won't turn into a flood and kill all of your worshippers, after all, you are a force of nature and sometimes controlling that force can be a little hard, however, Gods with this trait simply don't have this happen to them for whatever reason. [2 Points][Gods with this trait never get a catastrophic failure in any of their actions]

-Martial Affinity: There are Gods that can understand mortal warfare better than others and this knowledge allows their champions and orders to more prepared to fight than they would otherwise be. This means that the Champions and Orders with Gods with this trait begin stronger and are harder to defeat. [2 Points]

-God of Magic: There are Gods that begin with a unique and rather profound understanding of the hidden energies of the universe and who know certainly how to harness them and put them to work more effectively. But at the same time, these Gods seriously can't comprehend for their Godhood how any of the mortal machines work at all. [Gods with this trait every time they use the "Advance Race" action do it as if they were doing it twice but only with magically related advancements.][3 Points]

-God of Technology: Some of the Gods who see this world is quite interested in the natural and physical forces that already exist. On their minds, they are able to craft the most complicated of machines, powered by water, steam or other such forces. But they lack a much deeper connection to the hidden mystical powers of this universe. [Gods with this trait every time they use the "Advance Race" action do it as if they were doing it twice but only with mortal technology-related advancements.][3 Points]

-A Realm for a God: While most Gods begin in an empty space in the universe only allowed to observe and with no physical form. Some Gods begin with special dimensions empty yes, but places, where they can easily manifest themselves and their power. Places where they can create creatures with traits that don't really belong to the natural world, things such as angels, demons, eldritch abominations and the like are able to exist in these realms of the Gods and from there be summoned to the mortal plane. [4 Points. Begin with a realm and a single creature with three traits.]

-God of Secrets: Gods that can hide out their power and their machinations from other gods are quite rare, but there are those who are able to do so are able to fool their enemies, and thus advance further in their own objectives. [1 Point][Can hide one action per turn]

-A Spark of a Soul: Some Gods aren't born whole, sometimes, little fragments of their power end up in places they shouldn't be. In the case of these Gods, it is often mortals who receive such fragments and with them, they receive superhuman ability, skill, and vitality. More often than not, they go to become Champions of their respective God more powerful than the ones that are made by more conventional means. [3 Points] [Begin with One Champion that is stronger than average]

More traits to be added

Disadvantages:

WIP

Godly Actions
:

Shape Land (10 Power): This power directs the creation, modification, or erosion of mountains, hills, lakes, streams, rivers, forests jungles, deserts, grasslands, tundra, steppes, and other landforms. On the game map, this power allows for the creation of landforms or the change of them within a single tile.

Shape Climate ( 4 Power): This power directs weather patterns that frequent in a single province like fog, rain, snow, sun, heat, cold, sleet. You may wish to create snowy steppes or hot and humid jungles upon your forest.

Create Race ( 6 Power): This power affects the creation of a race in the world. This includes traditional fantasy races as well as non-traditional. You may, for example, have more than one race of dwarves. Consider not only humans, elves, dwarves, orcs and trolls. Races must be sapient and humanoid. Each race must be given a starting point in the world where they begin to build their civilization. Races start with either +1 Blessing, +1 Curse, +1 Corrupt, +1 Pure or Neutral, as directed by the Deity who created them. (All Races begin with one trait, for every 10 points after the first six. They get another trait]

Create Creature: ( 8 Power): This power affects the creation of a lesser creature in the world. This includes non-sapient creatures such as dragons, elementals and other monsters that may inhabit the land. They may be assigned a Size (Small, Medium, Large or Colossal) that will dictate how common or rare they are. These are creatures that will not form cultures or cities.

Create Subrace (4 Power): This power is used for the creation of splinter groups from an existing race. These must arise in a territory roughly adjacent to their ancestors and may or may not start getting along with their neighbors. Dark Elves, deep dwarves, human pirates, and the likes are the subject of this power.

Create Order: (4 Power): By this power, the god creates an order of people within a race. This may include religious sects, orders of knights, etc. The cost for Commanding a Race is doubled if using an Order created by a different God.

Command Nation/City (4 Power): By this power, the priests of the gods influence a race to action. Cities are founded with this power but it can be used for just about anything. An immortal must first establish their power by creating sects within the race before influencing them via this order. This power may be used for starting wars, founding cities, making alliances, settling territory, raising armies, et cetera.

Advance Race (10 Power): This power causes a civilization to gain expert knowledge of a given science or magic. These might include war magic, healing, warfare, steel, weaponsmithing, sailboats, writing, engineering, architecture, farming, et cetera. So as long as that civilization persists, it will always be aware and use this invention. (Can only be used once per turn)

Intervene (8 Power): Through this power comes the changing of fortunes for Champions, Civilizations, and Orders. A gold mine may be found, a storm at sea may strike a fleet, an Avatar may escape death, plague, famine may strike, etc. These are the great, unplanned winds of fortune that blow through the history of the world. Intervene is the Action required to use Domain Special Abilities.

Champion ( 5 Power): Through this power, the god creates a champion from among the populace. They can be a high priest, a dragon, a great warrior, etc. They will act as 1 Worshiper and can be ordered with this same action. If they are slain, God loses 3 Worshipers immediately.

Consolidate Power: A deity may Consolidate Power at any time. This is the only action that must be announced (as in, via IC post). The deity chooses a Domain to attempt to garner control over and how much power they are using in that attempt, which is sent privately to the GM. They cannot use more Power then they have.

This is quite interesting. I've love to participate in a roleplay a bit different than the rest however I wouldn't say I am committed since as said, it is quite different from the rest and I may be biting more than I could chew. I'll keep in touch and wait until the mechanics have been fully fleshed out.

Not just yet, I am going to post the basic gist of character creation. I have still to add more traits and disadvantages to Gods, plus making the Hero creation part of the Chargen. Then I have to fill up the world, it may take a while to get all this started that's why I began an interest check first.

God Character Creation: Gods are beings of large power, they make use of two main mechanics which are complemented by a third. First God Power basically a currency to make use of their actions, while domains are realms of nature that they have control over. There are a limited amount of domains that may be expanded on, they grant you not only special modifiers and unique actions. But also have special thresholds to win even more GP beyond what amount you receive from your worshippers.

Name:

Description:

Traits:

Starting Package:
20 Starting God Power
+10/GP turn (Reduces by 1 every turn until it is 0)
5 Trait Points

Domains: No God begins with a domain, that is to say, complete domination over a single aspect of universal life. Gods with domains are able to do things beyond what a normal God would ever hope to do in their current state. Gods with Domains are given special actions that are akin to miracles but that are related to their specific areas of Domain. Domains can be won over during game time, but many Gods can and will be able to compete for a domain making use of their God Power to bid for a specific domain or perhaps due to their own actions may be given a domain.

Traits:
-One with the Universe: This God is not affected as much by the natural entropy that plagues this universe meaning that they don't have to spend as much power to remain "alive" and keep control over a domain. Halve all God power Upkeep. [3 Points]

-A Mortal Form: Most Gods simply don't have the means to directly intervene in the mortal realm, materializing bodies of immense power and that hold their "souls" is truly a tiring and very energy-consuming affair, however, some Gods have a natural knack for the creation of such bodies. This allows them to interact with the mortal world directly for a limited period of time. [5 Points --> Gets Access to Materialize Godhood: Creates an Avatar of Divine Power that can be given one action per turn. This action has a cooldown of two turns and costs 10 God Power to use.]

-Mortal Empathy: Gods don't have the same sense of right and wrong as humans do, but some Gods have an easier time understanding and empathizing with humans meaning that they can also use this knowledge to gain more worshippers. [2 Points][Gods with this trait gain worshippers faster]

-Creative Maker: Not all Gods are the same and some of them are simply more creative than others, these Gods are the type of Gods who love to have their creatures or races wander the earth. [2 Points][Creatures you make become more common in their natural habitat and Races you make get one extra trait]

-Lucky God: Gods can also fail, there is no guaranteed certainty that the waterfall you try to make won't turn into a flood and kill all of your worshippers, after all, you are a force of nature and sometimes controlling that force can be a little hard, however, Gods with this trait simply don't have this happen to them for whatever reason. [2 Points][Gods with this trait never get a catastrophic failure in any of their actions]

-Martial Affinity: There are Gods that can understand mortal warfare better than others and this knowledge allows their champions and orders to more prepared to fight than they would otherwise be. This means that the Champions and Orders with Gods with this trait begin stronger and are harder to defeat. [2 Points]

-God of Magic: There are Gods that begin with a unique and rather profound understanding of the hidden energies of the universe and who know certainly how to harness them and put them to work more effectively. But at the same time, these Gods seriously can't comprehend for their Godhood how any of the mortal machines work at all. [Gods with this trait every time they use the "Advance Race" action do it as if they were doing it twice but only with magically related advancements.][3 Points]

-God of Technology: Some of the Gods who see this world is quite interested in the natural and physical forces that already exist. On their minds, they are able to craft the most complicated of machines, powered by water, steam or other such forces. But they lack a much deeper connection to the hidden mystical powers of this universe. [Gods with this trait every time they use the "Advance Race" action do it as if they were doing it twice but only with mortal technology-related advancements.][3 Points]

-A Realm for a God: While most Gods begin in an empty space in the universe only allowed to observe and with no physical form. Some Gods begin with special dimensions empty yes, but places, where they can easily manifest themselves and their power. Places where they can create creatures with traits that don't really belong to the natural world, things such as angels, demons, eldritch abominations and the like are able to exist in these realms of the Gods and from there be summoned to the mortal plane. [4 Points. Begin with a realm and a single creature with three traits.]

-God of Secrets: Gods that can hide out their power and their machinations from other gods are quite rare, but there are those who are able to do so are able to fool their enemies, and thus advance further in their own objectives. [1 Point][Can hide one action per turn]

-A Spark of a Soul: Some Gods aren't born whole, sometimes, little fragments of their power end up in places they shouldn't be. In the case of these Gods, it is often mortals who receive such fragments and with them, they receive superhuman ability, skill, and vitality. More often than not, they go to become Champions of their respective God more powerful than the ones that are made by more conventional means. [3 Points] [Begin with One Champion that is stronger than average]

More traits to be added

Disadvantages:

WIP

Godly Actions
:

Shape Land (10 Power): This power directs the creation, modification, or erosion of mountains, hills, lakes, streams, rivers, forests jungles, deserts, grasslands, tundra, steppes, and other landforms. On the game map, this power allows for the creation of landforms or the change of them within a single tile.

Shape Climate ( 4 Power): This power directs weather patterns that frequent in a single province like fog, rain, snow, sun, heat, cold, sleet. You may wish to create snowy steppes or hot and humid jungles upon your forest.

Create Race ( 6 Power): This power affects the creation of a race in the world. This includes traditional fantasy races as well as non-traditional. You may, for example, have more than one race of dwarves. Consider not only humans, elves, dwarves, orcs and trolls. Races must be sapient and humanoid. Each race must be given a starting point in the world where they begin to build their civilization. Races start with either +1 Blessing, +1 Curse, +1 Corrupt, +1 Pure or Neutral, as directed by the Deity who created them. (All Races begin with one trait, for every 10 points after the first six. They get another trait]

Create Creature: ( 8 Power): This power affects the creation of a lesser creature in the world. This includes non-sapient creatures such as dragons, elementals and other monsters that may inhabit the land. They may be assigned a Size (Small, Medium, Large or Colossal) that will dictate how common or rare they are. These are creatures that will not form cultures or cities.

Create Subrace (4 Power): This power is used for the creation of splinter groups from an existing race. These must arise in a territory roughly adjacent to their ancestors and may or may not start getting along with their neighbors. Dark Elves, deep dwarves, human pirates, and the likes are the subject of this power.

Create Order: (4 Power): By this power, the god creates an order of people within a race. This may include religious sects, orders of knights, etc. The cost for Commanding a Race is doubled if using an Order created by a different God.

Command Nation/City (4 Power): By this power, the priests of the gods influence a race to action. Cities are founded with this power but it can be used for just about anything. An immortal must first establish their power by creating sects within the race before influencing them via this order. This power may be used for starting wars, founding cities, making alliances, settling territory, raising armies, et cetera.

Advance Race (10 Power): This power causes a civilization to gain expert knowledge of a given science or magic. These might include war magic, healing, warfare, steel, weaponsmithing, sailboats, writing, engineering, architecture, farming, et cetera. So as long as that civilization persists, it will always be aware and use this invention. (Can only be used once per turn)

Intervene (8 Power): Through this power comes the changing of fortunes for Champions, Civilizations, and Orders. A gold mine may be found, a storm at sea may strike a fleet, an Avatar may escape death, plague, famine may strike, etc. These are the great, unplanned winds of fortune that blow through the history of the world. Intervene is the Action required to use Domain Special Abilities.

Champion ( 5 Power): Through this power, the god creates a champion from among the populace. They can be a high priest, a dragon, a great warrior, etc. They will act as 1 Worshiper and can be ordered with this same action. If they are slain, God loses 3 Worshipers immediately.

Consolidate Power: A deity may Consolidate Power at any time. This is the only action that must be announced (as in, via IC post). The deity chooses a Domain to attempt to garner control over and how much power they are using in that attempt, which is sent privately to the GM. They cannot use more Power then they have.
so only one trait?

I have some more stuff i want to discuss can we talk about it in pms to not cloud up this thread?
You have 5 Trait points to spend and pick traits from the trait list.

I am rather interested, can you be an established god (while still obeying the trait list)? Like one from mythology and such?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back