• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Gods and Heralds

Imperator_tenebrae

Few mortals ever become heralds to the gods and even fewer become immortals and eventually ascend.

In a world where the gods make their playground among mortals there are bound to be shenanigans among gods as they compete for mortal influence and power to be the greatest of them.

Each God/Goddess is an embodiement of an element, a mortal vice or passion. They each have their heralds or avatars who are immortals that spread and exemplify the gods among mortals as they clash for dominance.

Who wants to be a god?

Which Dice system are we basing this off?
Is this based off an established book orrrr no?

I'm using a hybrid module based on Pathfinder(D&D) and Exalted so I would say expect to have D20s, D10s and D6s handy.

It's essentially the standard character play like your typical RPG except we're not mere mortals anymore, we are gods and we must influence mortals to gain power through our heralds, avatars, champions and institutions. The more power you gain the more you can influence the mortal world directly.

I'm working more in depth with the backstory on what happens to mortals when they die and how each of us can have our own moral compass. It can be classical good versus evil or simple patrons of mortal vices.

However! If anyone wants to put forth an idea that would go well with a god-themed RPG such as this feel free to opine.

Scion is a good system. It uses the base roll system from Exalted and the World of Darkness, and grants you the ability to start out as demigods and build yourself up to full godhoood

Scion is a good system. It uses the base roll system from Exalted and the World of Darkness, and grants you the ability to start out as demigods and build yourself up to full godhoood

I'll research the Scion system to get this ball rolling. Work is keeping me a little preoccupied until Friday.

If you are going with Scion as your system of choice, I would be interested in getting in on this, too.

After researching some of the Scion and Storyteller systems out there I'm considering using a hybrid system of Scion and Pathfinder. More details as the weekend creeps ever closer.

How do you plan on combining the two systems?

The plan is to combine the attributes and character creation portions from Pathfinder while maintaining the mechanics from the Storyteller with a transition of character stats into a dice pool with different variation of mastery and skills. The better your character or god in this instance is at influencing the mortal realms then it's going to be easier to pass the difficulty test. The Storyteller locks everything at 7 so instead I'll be going with the idea to make everything proportionate with the realm and the task at hand.

It's still in its early stages....but if you want to share some ideas then speak up.

I'm not sure of how those two systems would be able to merge, but I am interested in seeing the result!

I'm not sure of how those two systems would be able to merge, but I am interested in seeing the result!

For starters most of your physical interactions with the mortal world will be as a nigh-immortal incarnate and later as an embodiment through heralds or prophets. As an incarnate you’re technically a god/goddess but not an ascended one who can influence things on a much larger scale. Eventually an incarnate becomes embodiment through which you gain power from various sources. The idea is to ascend to become a true god of the pantheon then contest other gods for power and influence.

Everyone in the RP starting out will belong to a pantheon. So far no one is really the “king” or the Dias of the pantheon we’re all on equal footing to reach ascension.

So far what I’ve come up with for character creation using a set amount of Ascension points which is like your typical experience points but it is used for multiple things other than “leveling up” like in most RPGs.

In regards to merging the two systems I have a list of stats to represent necessary attributes of a god or god-like entity/creature (yes I’m debating that you don’t have to be really a humanoid) and there is the storyteller portion that I’ve modified with a similar mechanic but with a little more of a dynamic.

All levels whether an incarnate or embodiment or even a full-fledged god rolls D20 for their influence or “will” for things to happen. Other things are done by a contest of power versus a pre-determined difficulty which again this is still being developed.

Incarnates levels
1 – 10 roll D6s
11 – 20 roll D8s
21 – 30 roll D10s
31 – 40 roll D12s
50 and above is ascension roll D20s

So for events or a god-like action to happen you roll D20 plus your influence modifiers and everything else that is a contest of power or something that the incarnate and gods have to do directly in a physical or non-physical way rolls a die according to their level with modifiers based on certain attributes apply. Similar to DnD but not every contest is the same for some will be more difficult than others.

For example if you want your herald to influence a town to follow you as their deity/idol you’ll roll a D20 versus an opposing roll D20 and the margin of success of failure determines how good or bad your influence is.

Another example is if you want to fight a mythic beast to demonstrate your might to the mortals then this is resolved in a combat roll of your level versus the creature’s difficulty.

Is this straight or forward or still too complicated?

I like this idea, like both systems, and if your still doing this would like to hear more please

The project is still going but it won't be here on RpN. The environment has become too toxic and suffice to say I distrust some of the staff here.

It is currently being moved else where. Contact me directly for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back