Experiences Go-to personality to roleplay?

I tend to have a lot of variety in my characters, I think, but I'm really drawn to playing chaos lovers and sunshine babies. They're a lot of fun for me!

I tend to have a lot of variety in my characters, I think, but I'm really drawn to playing chaos lovers and sunshine babies. They're a lot of fun for me!
Why must you call me out? All my characters are either sad good bois or avatars of ancient chaotic entities given human form.

I have a couple of go-tos.
The whimsical nutcase.
The stoic hard-working, no nonsense type.
The dense, yet valiant hero.
The uncaring and stone-faced anti-hero.
The back-chatting and witty villain.

All OC's.

I think my biggest go-to is "the quiet one" cliche. Kinda dorky, shy, and whatever. I think those kinds of characters are easiest for me to connect to because I feel similar to them.

I have been at this hobby for over a decade, so I have sampled all flavors of tropes and personalities. I've played psychopathic killers with a god complex. I've played innocent virgins with a glass house impression of the world. I've even tried my hand at cranky old man who hates everyone and everything.

Everything you could think of, even if they weren't successful attempts, I've tried to write all character tropes, but something I realized mid-way into my checks watch thirteen years of writing on forums, I've written consistently when I was writing with fun-loving, somewhat dramatic personalities and tropes. The ones that might do things that make you rip your hair out, but eventually win you over with small moments of wholesome love and endearing character moments. I realized that my weakness (as in I suck at them) are snarky or highly intelligent characters. It is not that I, myself, am an idiot, but I think my best writing comes from writing simpleminded fools who just want to vibe and go with the flow.

ooo good question! while my oc’s motivations and personalities differ greatly, i tend to make them all at least slightly unhinged and chaotic. makes them a lot more fun to play and my partners love them!

Well, there's definitely a few basic character types I love to use a lot in my roleplays, but there's some traits in common most of them usually have, so first, I'll go over what all of them have in common, and then go over specifics.

In real life I tend to have very strong moral convictions, so most of the time, my characters will be very similar. This is why I never feel comfortable playing the "bad boy" trope or any type of character who does morally grey stuff. About the only time I ever play characters that do stuff like that is whenever I play villains, since with them they're kind of supposed to do that? But usually it's much more easy for me to relate to my main characters when they're more on the "good" side of the spectrum rather than "neutral" or "evil".

That doesn't mean they're always nice or kind though, and there's a great range of personalities and traits among them, but usually none of my character will be saying swear words (I can't bring myself to write them in the first place), doing drugs, doing abusive behavior or any of that. They're usually pretty decent people who despite having their flaws, do their best to be fundamentally good people with good principles, which is actually perfect for the light-hearted slice of life roleplays I love so much.

There's a few patterns my characters fall into, I guess. One thing I love to roleplay are older siblings. I just love the type of dynamic that can form with a caring older sibling who looks after their younger sibling, and is usually around to help them out or give advice to them. So many times my main character will have some older sibling there, and in some occasions this older sibling will have a subplot of his/her own. When my main character is introverted and socially awkward, his/her older sibling will be outgoing and social, and encourage my main character to talk to people. So generally this older sibling will be somewhat complementary to the younger sibling's personality, offering an interesting contrast and a fun dynamic to play around with, specially seeing what social dynamics form when the older sibling interacts with my main character's friends.

Another thing I notice a lot in my characters is that I always give them some "emotional problem" they need to solve, a story arc involving their backstory or something about them that they need to overcome in over to develop as a character. This is great because it gives the opportunity for character development, and also makes the character feel more deep and complex. It also gives the chance for the other player's character to talk to them about it, and thus helps create a touching moment when they have that heart to heart talk. Not only does it help the characters grow closer as my character trusts the other character with his troubles, but it also helps for great character development, and once the problem has been solved my character will usually develop and grow, usually gaining more confidence, or learning a valuable lesson that makes them a better person.

But regardless of what it is, in almost any long-term roleplay I have, my main characters will have at least one emotional issue needing to be solved, and usually the moment when that happens marks a big turning point in the roleplay.

As for personality types, I usually tend to have either very introverted or very extroverted characters, and as I love to have a large cast, usually I'll just have a mix of both, with few characters ever being closer to the middle point. I love having intelligent characters who are very knowledgeable or studious, but I also have fun with less intelligent characters, since not only are they different, but they can also be great for comedic scenes. Also one thing I love to do with my less intelligent characters is that when another character worried about something or having a problem, they give advice that sounds very basic and simple, but really makes an impact, like despite the fact that they're usually not considered to be very smart, their simple way of living life has its own nuggets of wisdom to it, and it brings back home a big lesson that there's someone to learn from everyone, even if you don't think so. Sometimes the same character who has been mostly just comic relief for most of the roleplay ends up saying something so simple, but also so meaningful at once, that it helps the other character out. I just love that kind of stuff.

While most of my characters tend to be kind and helpful, I sometimes have that one character who is quiet, aloof and distant. Usually the one with a mysterious backstory, and that doesn't speak much, but from their behavior it's clear they've got a lot of experience, common sense and street smarts, as well as good intuition. Generally they'll have a softer and warmer side that only comes out once someone else has gotten close enough to them, and they'll also show they can be protective and caring as well, just that they're not as openly emotional as my other characters.

I love characters that are "out of the box", that is, that act in unusual ways that can be considered odd or strange for the other characters. Whether it's because their motives and interests are so different, or because they just prefer doing things their way, it causes quite a clash compared to the way the other characters act. Being the "odd one out" on many occasions is something I like to do with my characters at times.

I'll keep this short--all the time. So I've made it a habit of denoting from that one individual archetype I like to follow by branching out into several supporting characters, fleshing them out and making their personalities as inverse and interesting so I can truly blend in some uniqueness to the story I'm pouring my heart and soul into.

i tend to always make like dumb clumsy characters who are rlly nice with some kind of trauma, or more childish characters who also tend to have some kind of trauma.

I tend to make caring and sweet characters a lot because I’m afraid other personality traits I’m afraid that A. I’m gonna Offend someone B. My character isn’t fun to roleplay with or they don’t get accepted, though someone who has a character who just straight up has a character who wants to kill everyone! Like geez- lemme make my character sassy every now and then-!

I've played a variety of character types, but I've noticed that many of my characters fall into one of or a combination of these three categories:

1. Gentle and kind shy boi
2. Outgoing and eccentric goofball
3. Sly and mischievous, but with a heart of gold when it counts

Last edited:
My go-to character personalities are

1) Silent, Dark, brooding
2) Flirtatious, Bold
3) Shy, Loving, Cutesy
and finally 4) Straight-up broken-hearted, closeted shy boi

I forgot to mention in my original post in this thread that I also tend to gravitate towards the morally grey types. I find them the most fun to write, particularly because they will sometimes act in ways you may not fully expect. Black or white characters are not boring by any means, but their actions tend to be a bit more predictable simply because they will typically act within a specific moral framework.

I notice that a lot of my characters tend to have a good social outlet/curious to some degree. I think it’s because in the beginning of my rp journey, a lot of “loners” I rped with we’re hard to communicate with. Sometimes I would be spend a lot of energy just to get a sentence response. So, even if they are shy or tend to stay away from people, I still make sure the circumstances at hand causes them to keep the plot going. I don’t want other partners to feel like they can’t get anywhere with my character just because they aren’t extroverts.

I find myself including artistic qualities in the vast majority of my characters. I like to write about people who have creative tendencies and are looking to connect with the world and express it somehow, such as by painting or taking pictures. I think this also reflects a bit of myself and the people that I grew up around. Creativity and improvisation has always been a big part of my lifestyle, so it's something that feels natural to include in my writing as well.

Another character trait that the majority of my characters possess is the desire to help others or at least be open to forming new connections with people. That doesn't mean that they have to be nice all the time, but that they can find a reason to interact with other characters in most situations. Since RPs involve characters interacting, it's important to me that I've given them personalities that help in that regard. A lot of my characters include themes of depression, drug abuse, loneliness and distrust. However, when writing characters who are struggling, I want to include elements of hope as well. I think that being open to connecting with others is a really good starting point that gives characters a chance to grow throughout the RP.

Since I have the time, I'll write mine!!
I tend to base my characters on my own personality traits. Whether it is how I see myself, how others see me, or how I want myself to be portrayed, I like to see how my characters evolve throughout the storyline!

Hoyo!

Personally, I never have a "go-to" because personalities are not one-size-fits-all, and playing a character with the same personality as the last character I made gets very boring very quickly. And ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm a guy who likes to challenge himself by creating characters who all have different personalities. And this is true of one-off characters I make for the few RP's I occasionally join hosted by others as well. Whatever and whoever the character is will have a personality I haven't used before, or at least one that's along the same lines as something that's come before while maintaining its own identity within the backstory of the character so that it doesn't feel the same as before.

In my personal opinion it's never a good idea to allow oneself to stagnate by creating characters who all have the same personality. Even if it's a comfort zone, you'll never really improve as a writer/role-player if you're always playing the same character wearing a different skin.

Cheers!

uhh...honestly characters with common sense and a need to do good i guess ...yeah its not a trait(i play all kinds of character but they all have good intentions unless well disturbed.)

I try not to have goto personalities, but usually I go to playful, forward, and/or analytical personality traits.

Aaagghh this is such a fun topic okay okay….my favorite characters to play are “fox-type” characters !! You know the type. Conniving, mischievous little bastards who are too clever for their own good are my weakness in writing. Even in shows and stuff I end up loving the ones that have intelligence but in a *flirty* way, lmao

Oh, and when they talk as though they’re Shakespeare himself? Brilliant. Wonderful. I adore them

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back