• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Ginge's Writing Retreat - Seeking Story-Lovers

SkyGinge

Sad Shroom
Welcome, dear writers!

Who am I?
tldr: Site veteran, returning to try and get into 1x1s to kickstart healthy writing habits.

You can call me either Sky or Ginge, I honestly don't mind. I'm a 26 year old guy from England As you can see, I don't really care much for fancy BBCoding.

It's been almost twelve years since I first started roleplaying - I spent two and a half years on a small niche gaming site before moving over to here in 2014. That was my heyday on site as I was incredibly active, winning member of the month on one occasion and overseeing/assisting with a number of on-site competitions as one of the helpers in the helpers team. Unfortunately, towards the summer of 2015 I started suffering from major headaches and shoulder pain as a result of muscular tension, which halted my creativity somewhat. Soon after, I left the site to go to university and study Literature and Creative Writing. Since then I've attempted to make the odd reappearance, normally over quieter summer periods, but unfortunately I've struggled to commit to sticking around. Mental health is a real struggle for me and I've lacked creative drive to commit on top of the busyness of life.

As events would have it, I'm now six months into a long period of sick leave and have decided to finally give this writing milarky another crack. I've always participated in and hosted group RPs before, with a couple of short-lived 1x1 exceptions. However, in my attempted returns I've found detailed, interesting group RPs often die in their infancy as posts move far too slow and ooc banter becomes quickly overwhelming. So I'm turning to 1x1s or small groups, and this is where you come in!

What am I looking for?

• Storytelling > Romance/Pairings: I'm looking for somebody who is primarily interested in telling a great story together, weaving a world as we go on, playing side characters, planting surprises in and enjoying creating an enthralling narrative together. Romance between our characters may well be an intriguing conflict within this, but it won't necessarily be the main thing. Also, if romance is to be involved, I'm only interested/comfortable with doing MxF.
  • Patience: I'm really hoping that this time I'll be around for the long haul, but please be patient with me if mental health again impedes my ability to commit, or if it makes writing tough at times.
  • A Contributor: Nothing kills interest in an RP like a passive writing partner. I'm looking for someone who will collaborate on world building and bring their own ideas, flavour, characters and direction to the story.
  • Commitment: Lasting RPs are as elusive as the proverbial needle in the haystack, but obviously I'm looking for someone who'll stick it out with the story to the end (like everybody else wants aha). This will also mean posting regularly. For the foreseeable future I can probably commit to at least one post a day - I understand that most people do have lives outside of RP though and would expect a couple of posts a week minimum.
  • Detailed Posts: This comes hand in hand with Quality>Quantity - nobody wants to read through an arbitrary five-paragraph soliloquy about your character's dead goldfish just to fill a post length quota. That said, if the situation calls for it, then I'm looking for someone who can write long, interesting descriptions and give us some proper intrigue and insight into character's psyches. No one-liners (obv) unless we're in a quickfire conversation (and I have some good ideas about how to make these kind of quickfire character conversations engaging!)
  • Writing>Aesthetics: Partly a personal #siteboomer gripe, but you don't need to pretty your post up for several hours instead of just writing the story!
  • Combat: I'm a sucker for well written/choreographed combat, so expect that to come up in a story if the setting is fantastical enough to breed it! Not an essential though.
Ideas
Time for the meat and potatoes of this post! Below you'll find some storyline ideas - some have just the starting hook or concept, others have a lot of lore and prior thought for us to play with/upheave, and others are just interests or character ideas I want to put to paper. Assume I'm interested in everything I've put here unless I say otherwise! Some of these have potential to be small group collaborations instead of just 1x1s if people are interested!

As mentioned, I'm looking to collaborate, so if you have any particular ideas that you think I might be interested in from what I've written then feel free to drop me a line.

NameGenreCharacters/Size BriefComments
1. EchoesFantasy, Contemporary2 - no set rolesA mysterious laboratory explosion leaves two souls supernaturally intertwined. When one awakes, the other sleeps - the only hint of each-others existence are the unexplained bruises, the tears that come without reason, and the memories that seem to belong to someone else. Somehow they must overcome the barrier between worlds, connecting the sleeping world to the waking reality before the two are forever turn asunder and everything falls into oblivion.One thing to iron out would be how our characters interact given how their lives are now connected, though I do have quite a few ideas for this! Flexible on fantasy ideas here, on setting and on character archetypes.
2. Posthuman: Beyond the Seas of TimeCyberpunk/Science-Fantasy/Time Travel/Pirates2-4 - no set roles but some ideas as follows: The pirate captain, who wears a surface mask of outlandish and hedonistic chaos to mask her inner heroism and distract from her inner doubts. The fallen fugitive, son of the future's most famous inventor turned to a life of piracy turned fanatical follower of the captain, though his monotonous manner and stern countenance hides it well The impossible girl, seemingly living a million different individual lives in every time period And the fiery watcher who is desperate to find her, even if it means destroying the world. In the far future, a scientific experiment gone wrong caused the world to collapse and reshape into a state of apocalyptic chaos. The last remnants of humankind survive in technological city strongholds separated by a roaring sea composed of ever-changing portals to the past. Through a mysterious phenomenon, a select group of people who died in the eras gone by are reborn into this chaotic world, where most join the Watchers, an elite police force who maintain the peace in this future whilst snuffing out attempts to travel through the sea to change the past. Some, however, tire of an unwanted, regimented life, and some have sniffed the scent of corruption in the ruling elite, turning to a life of piracy. Fighting the ever-present watcher pursuit, our group of time pirates travel through time to plunder the ages, which leads them into an adventure that threatens the stability of the entire universe.TLDR: time-travelling cyberpunk pirates. I have a load of lore for this one which I can expand upon if you're interested! It might be interesting if your character is a Watcher who finds themselves taken hostage by the pirates at the start, which leads to them eventually turning against their former force secrets are revealed!
3. ParadoxicaContemporary/Mystery/Time Travel2 - MC = eccentric young scientist YC = anything you like One night at a British university, time suddenly stops, unbeknownst to anybody bar the one person (YC) who is mysterious unaffected. In the aftermath of this peculiarity, an eccentric young scientist (MC) accidentally uses material from a peculiar meteorite to create a camera which can take pictures of the future. When one picture reveals an awful tragedy to come, the two find themselves caught in a race against time to stop the events to come and outwit the shadowy organisation who are hot on their heels.Lots of room for flexibility here on exact nature of mystery, of sci-fi elements, character dynamic, etc.
4. ValiancePost Apocalyptic Medieval Fantasy2-4 - again no major set rolesWhen King Lyram is assassinated by the Darquesse, a mass genocide unfolds across the Kingdom of Valia, leaving only a handful of survivors. A former criminal (YC) scavenges the ruined villages to survive, fleeing from the ever-present threat of shadowy monsters and warriors. An encounter with an idealistic young man (MC) leads to them unwillingly joining the last resistance group who embark on a journey to the capital to perform the impossible – defeat the Darquesse and avenge their ruined nation. Death or redemption – can they harness the secret of magic before the indomitable tyrant and overcome the odds?This is based on the most successful group RP I ever ran back in the day, with updated lore and story progression planned. I'm willing to kill some plot babies to collaborate on things though I do have a basis for most things here.
5. Bonds Beyond BordersFantasy or Fandom2 - no major set rolesTwo nations, locked in an age of unquestioned war. On the battlefield, two disillusioned youngsters from different sides make a startling discovery which forces them to make an unlikely alliance. Now enemies of the entire world, their destiny is to challenge the forces at play behind the eternal war and reclaim the future for their own.tldr; the end of Xenoblade 3 disappointed me and I'd love to do something similar to Noah/Mio's relationship and to make more of some of the concepts in X3. Can be an X3 retelling or we can build a fantasy world around the central character connection.
6. The Seventh SeaFantasy Steampunk2-4 - MC = charming but arrogant masterthief with no moral compass YC = sheltered but fiery nobleman's daughter with unique magical gifts Optional extras: -An exuberant, eccentric pirate captain who hides a kind, calculating wisdom beneath his bombastic exterior -The hapless, hopeless manor librarian whose life is uprooted by demonic meddling Above the cloud sea, the island citadol of Kael prepares for its annual grand regalia, a gaudy festival commemorating fifteen years of peacetime. Hidden among the joyous crowds, master criminal (MC) has eyes on the hidden treasure of Manor Patrixe, seeking to establish himself as the greatest living thief and outdo his estranged brother. When that treasure turns out to be the Baron's daughter (YC), a sheltered girl with unparalleled magical aptitude, the pair find themselves on the run, pursued relentlessly by the sadistic Admiral Asulpus. Will they use their gifts to right this fractured world, or to fuel their own ends? Again I have a lot of prior lore I can share for this, but there's also room to work on things together too (namely, where to take the plot, and things like locations, magic system, etc.)
7. The Heir of MagickHistorical Fantasy2 - YC = Eccentric nobleman magicians MC = Plucky suffragette(MC) is a plucky young suffragette who applies for a job as a housemaid for a crumbling estate. Behind the rusted bars and overgrown hedgerow, everything is not quite as it seems. The nobleman (YC) is the last of the olde magicians, and he must empart the secrets of his craft before it is too late.Inspired by an RP that sadly died before it began. Also Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell.

Other Interests/Character Ideas
  • Star Wars - OCs, any period. I have a lot of set piece ideas and a good few characters as well (including a Jedi Knight disillusioned following the mysterious death of her master and an imperial General's daughter turned rebel)
  • My Hero Academia - either an AU with Deku & co now as adult heroes, or your classic new heroes at UA situation.
  • Pokemon - particularly interested in doing something a bit darker like the Pokemon Adventures Manga.
  • Octopath Traveler (OCS)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles - 1 and 3 particularly, either retelling with differing OCs or new characters in the worlds.
  • Fire Emblem (probably OCs)
  • Doctor Who - (probably all OC main characters including OC Doctor. I have lots of individual episode ideas aha)
  • Futuristic racing RP - exploring the highs and trappings of elite sporting lifestyle.
  • Semi-cyberpunk detective noir
  • I have a couple of cleric characters itching to get into a fantasy setting!
Thanks so much for your time! If you're interested in writing with me on any of these ideas then please introduce yourself either in PMs or down below!

hi there! i am also a recently returned site user looking to take up the hobby again. i am absolutely interested in the seventh sea, the plot and setting sound exactly like something i would read or write myself. feel free to PM if you want to talk more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back