• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Forteans | Victorian era supernatural hunting/detective roleplay | Accepting!

Danidify

Wigless
— FORTEANS
A victorian supernatural hunting/detective story.
01. introduction.
Set in the late Victorian era, FORTEANS centres around a task force that targets the many anomalous phenomena threatening the world. We follow the Dianium Association - a modest yet talented group of mismatched individuals - as its members utilize their unique insights in the paranormal to achieve two fundamental tasks: to investigate and exterminate any preternatural beast or being that may pose a danger to society.

Welcome to 1894, a time of Seance shows, rumours of terrifying monstrosities and plays that will keep even the bravest souls wide awake in fear of the demons that supposedly lurk below. It is no secret that the Victorians are well versed in the Paranormal, yet for most, it remains no more than a sublime delicacy, an art, or faith. For a handful, however, it is reality.

There are three types of people within the world of the supernatural.

First come the attacked, the haunted and the cursed - the victims. They are casualties of powers that most fail to comprehend, their enlightenment coming at costs that no one would be willing to consider. What is worse is that these people rarely find one that believes them, although most even fail to trust and understand their very selves.

Second are the burdened, people that never knew the world for anything other than mystical and paranormal. These are the people that were born into truly wondrous bloodlines, bestowing them with psychic gifts, sorcerous/esoteric insights and fascinating mutations that many would likely label heretic, crazed and monstrous respectively. In a perfect world, they could possibly find purpose in their gifts, but the burdened unfortunately see them as no more than shackles. Their very existence is the biggest torment of all.

Last remains the fighters and explorers: former victims and burdened that reformed their stance of dread and fear into one of curiosity and meaning. These unique cases are, for whatever reason, fueled with a passion to delve deeper into the world’s shadows, uncovering and chasing its secrets to their core. Some are driven by fascination and scientific meaning, while others find peace in vengeance or higher purpose.

The Dianium Association falls into the last category of man, recruiting members who are either wise or idiotic enough to consider the hunting of the supernatural a completely normal job. Composed of a mismatch of youthful physiological anomalies and ejected mindsets, Dianium accepts ‘talents’ that most others would deter, making them a rising player in the complex game taking place between human and paranormal existence.

We’re in the 1890s now. There’s a significant rise in paranormal activity and Hunter societies are growing increasingly more hostile and desperate. Above all, people are in danger every day without even knowing it.

The Dianium Association is more important than it has ever been. They may be few in numbers and many in flaws, but they must find a way to defy all odds for the sake of themselves and others. Now, will you move on as a victim, a burdened, or an opponent, or will you join the future as a fighter?

02. rules.
RULE 01: GENERAL BEHAVIOUR Let’s keep the demons and the baddie behaviour for the roleplay, please! I expect anyone that joins this rp to treat others with respect and won’t tolerate any type of bad attitude. If you can’t stop yourself from getting into arguments, at least keep them out of the darn roleplay and our OOC areas.

RULE 02: ACTIVITY To make sure that the roleplay can keep running properly, I will be putting somewhat strict rules in place in regards to player activity.

Note: In times of posting sequences (thus writers having to wait for another person to post), people have 1 week to reply to a post. After that, the individual will be skipped or NPC’ed (only if necessary) to prevent delay.

RULE 03: COMMUNICATION I expect some sign of life at least every 5 days on discord (yes, you will need discord for OOC, I'm sorry). If I’m unable to contact someone for longer than that, they will be skipped if it’s their turn to post. Two weeks without OOC interaction will result in removal from the RP.

Note: You will not be removed from the RP as long as you communicate with me! There is no shame or crime in being too busy to post or being in a scenario where you might not be able to contact us, but please do keep me up to date so we can work something out!

RULE 04: QUALITY This roleplay emphasizes quality over quantity. Now, I do not have a big enough god complex to make people treat this HOBBY as a job, but I do hope that people take the time to make sure that their posts are, at the very least, readable (that includes checking if certain codes can be seen by everyone, etc). Furthermore, I will be maintaining a 2 paragraph minimum per post.

Note: If you would like to do smaller-scale/complex interactions (e.g. casual conversations), I would suggest collaboration! I strongly advise you to hop into a private discord, google doc, or RPN Etherpad with whomever you’d like to interact with and put your creations together. That way, conversations don’t last 10 pages and the RP can move forward without clunky small-talk.

RULE 05: CHARACTER LIMIT For now, I will only allow one character per person, though you may apply with multiple sheets if you desire to do so! I will be accepting a set number of characters, but the total amount will be decided on how much interest this RP gets.

RULE 06: FACECLAIMS As you might have noticed, we will be using realistic imagery, so no anime/drawings. Very realistic portraits may be considered, but that's already cutting it.

03. character creation.
We will be roleplaying as recent recruits of the Dianium Association who have been specifically sought out because of their supernatural gifts (even though most likely aren't even close to properly controlling it). Placed in a special unit only accessible by fellow 'anomalies', the crew will spend their time on missions where they will investigate and hunt down supernatural trouble.

Rather than using pre-set roles, FORTEANS will give you the freedom to put together your own characters as long as they are coherent with the lore and do not fully overlap with other characters. To aid in this process, each character will be based on one of 6 Aspects, each representing a certain domain of supernatural existence. The 6 choices are as follows (more can be found in the lore linked in the OOC):

I. PSI, representing extraordinary psychics capable of the unimaginable.

II. UNDEAD, representing mediums, sickly vampires, and abominable zombies.

III. OCCULT, representing light, dark and grey witches/warlocks, and those cursed by them.

IV. DIVINE, representing those (innately) blessed by the divine, protected by guardian angels, or possessing holy objects.

V. DEMONIC, representing those (innately) afflicted by the demonic, possessed by demons, or possessing unholy objects.

VI. CRYPTOZOOLOGICAL, representing those capable of turning into haunting anomalistic monstrosities.

Do note that this story is meant to have a more 'realistic/gritty' touch to it, meaning that Witches aren't swishing and flicking their wands like Harry Potter Wannabe's, Werewolves aren't hyper attractive Twilight studs, and Psychics don't blow up the world at the significant cost of briefly passing out. As much as the peculiarities are a gift, they are also supposed to bring a plethora of challenges that may even outweigh the eventual benefits. So, Witches would instead be diligent practitioners facing a constant fear of being hunted, 'Werewolves' are merely a spot on a spectrum of humans cursed by involuntary shapeshifting, and Psychics would go through life in a constant struggle with their own mind. Again, Peculiarities are both blessings and curses.

04. extras & links.
To give a bit more of a fundamental overview of the roleplay's core thematic: the leading themes are Supernatural, Detective, Historical, and Action, with additives from plenty different paranormal sources. Furthermore, this roleplay was strongly inspired by Penny Dreadful, American Horror Story, Phasmophobia, The Alienist, Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, and a beautiful roleplay by the name of Queen's Hand by @Kimby. These sources may help to establish the tone of the story a bit better!

In the OOC link found below, you will find access to 2 documents that include all the information you (hopefully) need. the FORTEANS MANUAL will offer all of the OOC/fundamental preparation set up (character creation, roleplay structure, wold overview, etc), where-as the FORTEANS LORE document will offer all the predisposed lore in regards to the supernatural side of things. Before you decide on joining, I strongly suggest taking a quick peek to see if it truly interests you! (please don't let the size scare you btw, I don't expect people to read the whole thing LOL)

code by @leviathan.

FORTEANS: A victorian supernatural hunting/detective roleplay
PREMISE

Set in the late Victorian era, FORTEANS centres around a task force that targets the many anomalous phenomena threatening the world. We follow the Dianium Association - a modest yet talented group of mismatched individuals - as its members utilize their unique insights in the paranormal to achieve two fundamental tasks: to investigate and exterminate any preternatural beast or being that may pose a danger to society.

Welcome to 1894, a time of Seance shows, rumours of terrifying monstrosities and plays that will keep even the bravest souls wide awake in fear of the demons that supposedly lurk below. It is no secret that the Victorians are well versed in the Paranormal, yet for most, it remains no more than a sublime delicacy, an art, or faith. For a handful, however, it is reality.

There are three types of people within the world of the supernatural.

First come the attacked, the haunted and the cursed - the victims. They are casualties of powers that most fail to comprehend, their enlightenment coming at costs that no one would be willing to consider. What is worse is that these people rarely find one that believes them, although most even fail to trust and understand their very selves.

Second are the burdened, people that never knew the world for anything other than mystical and paranormal. These are the people that were born into truly wondrous bloodlines, bestowing them with psychic gifts, sorcerous/esoteric insights and fascinating mutations that many would likely label heretic, crazed and monstrous respectively. In a perfect world, they could possibly find purpose in their gifts, but the burdened unfortunately see them as no more than shackles. Their very existence is the biggest torment of all.

Last remains the fighters and explorers: former victims and burdened that reformed their stance of dread and fear into one of curiosity and meaning. These unique cases are, for whatever reason, fueled with a passion to delve deeper into the world’s shadows, uncovering and chasing its secrets to their core. Some are driven by fascination and scientific meaning, while others find peace in vengeance or higher purpose.

The Dianium Association falls into the last category of man, recruiting members who are either wise or idiotic enough to consider the hunting of the supernatural a completely normal job. Composed of a mismatch of youthful physiological anomalies and ejected mindsets, Dianium accepts ‘talents’ that most others would deter, making them a rising player in the complex game taking place between human and paranormal existence.

We’re in the 1890s now. There’s a significant rise in paranormal activity and Hunter societies are growing increasingly more hostile and desperate. Above all, people are in danger every day without even knowing it.

The Dianium Association is more important than it has ever been. They may be few in numbers and many in flaws, but they must find a way to defy all odds for the sake of themselves and others. Now, will you move on as a victim, a burdened, or an opponent, or will you join the future as a fighter?

RULES
RULE 01: GENERAL BEHAVIOUR
Let’s keep the demons and the baddie behaviour for the roleplay, please! I expect anyone that joins this rp to treat others with respect and won’t tolerate any type of bad attitude. If you can’t stop yourself from getting into arguments, at least keep them out of the darn roleplay and our OOC areas.

RULE 02: ACTIVITY To make sure that the roleplay can keep running properly, I will be putting somewhat strict rules in place in regards to player activity.

Note: In times of posting sequences (thus writers having to wait for another person to post), people have 1 week to reply to a post. After that, the individual will be skipped or NPC’ed (only if necessary) to prevent delay.

RULE 03: COMMUNICATION I expect some sign of life at least every 5 days on discord (yes, you will need discord for OOC, I'm sorry). If I’m unable to contact someone for longer than that, they will be skipped if it’s their turn to post. Two weeks without OOC interaction will result in removal from the RP.

Note: You will not be removed from the RP as long as you communicate with me! There is no shame or crime in being too busy to post or being in a scenario where you might not be able to contact us, but please do keep me up to date so we can work something out!

RULE 04: QUALITY This roleplay emphasizes quality over quantity. Now, I do not have a big enough god complex to make people treat this HOBBY as a job, but I do hope that people take the time to make sure that their posts are, at the very least, readable (that includes checking if certain codes can be seen by everyone, etc). Furthermore, I will be maintaining a 2 paragraph minimum per post.

Note: If you would like to do smaller-scale/complex interactions (e.g. casual conversations), I would suggest collaboration! I strongly advise you to hop into a private discord, google doc, or RPN Etherpad with whomever you’d like to interact with and put your creations together. That way, conversations don’t last 10 pages and the RP can move forward without clunky small-talk.

RULE 05: CHARACTER LIMIT For now, I will only allow one character per person, though you may apply with multiple sheets if you desire to do so! I will be accepting a set number of characters, but the total amount will be decided on how much interest this RP gets.

RULE 06: FACECLAIMS: Also, as you might have noticed, we will be using realistic imagery, so no anime/drawings. Very realistic portraits may be considered, but that's already cutting it.

CHARACTER CREATION
We will be roleplaying as recent recruits of the Dianium Association who have been specifically sought out because of their supernatural gifts (even though most likely aren't even close to properly controlling it). Placed in a special unit only accessible by fellow 'anomalies', the crew will spend their time on missions where they will investigate and hunt down supernatural trouble.

Rather than using pre-set roles, FORTEANS will give you the freedom to put together your own characters as long as they are coherent with the lore and do not fully overlap with other characters. To aid in this process, each character will be based on one of 6 Aspects, each representing a certain domain of supernatural existence. The 6 choices are as follows (more can be found in the lore linked in the OOC):

I. PSI, representing extraordinary psychics capable of the unimaginable.

II. UNDEAD, representing mediums, sickly vampires, and abominable zombies.

III. OCCULT, representing light, dark and grey witches/warlocks, and those cursed by them.

IV. DIVINE, representing those (innately) blessed by the divine, protected by guardian angels, or possessing holy objects.

V. DEMONIC, representing those (innately) afflicted by the demonic, possessed by demons, or possessing unholy objects.

VI. CRYPTOZOOLOGICAL, representing those capable of turning into haunting anomalistic monstrosities.

Do note that this story is meant to have a more 'realistic/gritty' touch to it, meaning that Witches aren't swishing and flicking their wands like Harry Potter Wannabe's, Werewolves aren't hyper attractive Twilight studs, and Psychics don't blow up the world at the significant cost of briefly passing out. As much as the peculiarities are a gift, they are also supposed to bring a plethora of challenges that may even outweigh the eventual benefits. So, Witches would instead be diligent practitioners facing a constant fear of being hunted, 'Werewolves' are merely a spot on a spectrum of humans cursed by involuntary shapeshifting, and Psychics would go through life in a constant struggle with their own mind. Again, Peculiarities are both blessings and curses.

EXTRAS/LINKS
To give a bit more of a fundamental overview of the roleplay's core thematic: the leading themes are Supernatural, Detective, Historical, and Action, with additives from plenty of different paranormal sources. Furthermore, this roleplay was strongly inspired by Penny Dreadful, American Horror Story, Phasmophobia, The Alienist, Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, and a beautiful roleplay by the name of Queen's Hand by @Kimby. These sources may help to establish the tone of the story a bit better!

In the OOC link found right below, you will find access to 2 documents that include all the information you (hopefully) need. the FORTEANS MANUAL will offer all of the OOC/fundamental preparation set up (character creation, roleplay structure, wold overview, etc), where-as the FORTEANS LORE document will offer all the predisposed lore in regards to the supernatural side of things. Before you decide on joining, I strongly suggest taking a quick peek to see if it truly interests you! (please don't let the size scare you btw, I don't expect people to read the whole thing LOL)

Last edited:
OOC LINK (ALSO LEADING TO THE FULL LORE): HERE
CHARACTER SHEET LINK:
HERE
If you happen to be interested, please drop a quick comment below so I can feel fulfilled and know what I'm getting myself into LOL ty in advance <3

Last edited:
DJrmQ8yV4AA9JjX.jpg

consider me immensely interested

In case anyone else happens to stumble on this thread, we are still accepting until the 1st of January at the least (likely to be extended due to the holidays). Feel free to hop into the discord!

*curiously pokes head in*
Oooooooooooo this seems nice
lease don’t judge me if I get a little confuse, this is seriously the first role play I clicked on :)

there's no shame in confusion, we've all been new haha. Feel free to take a look around to see if you'd like to join! We are still accepting applications

Users who are viewing this thread

Back