Other Folk lore of your people

The Mechanist

Everyone's favorite cybernetic robot! 🤖
So I shared a story recently, and I thought to myself, "hey! I wanna hear the folk lore the other differing cultures of rpn have to share too!" So here I am, making this page just as I said I would. Let me just copy and paste mine....and voila! Done! So feel free to share your stories too! I would love to read them.

@billthesomething put yours here as well

I gots a story for y'all!! Hope you enjoy Mexican folk lore! 

Mexican folk lore is taken pretty seriously  down here and we treat it as if it exists, and based on what I heard I think it is real. My father once told me during one of his night patrols (he used to work for the sheriffs department) as he was driving on the outskirt roads he had heard tales of these harpy like creatures that flew next the police units as they drove. Body of a vulture but the face of an old woman. Where did he hear about this? From the older higher ranking deputies, now I know what you're thinking. "Oh they're probably just hazing him or something." Before you make that assumption, our cultural heritage says to always be respectful, the law enforcement down here is full of Hispanics and Mexicans alike. The older generation of Mexicans are some of the most respectful people I have ever met, trust me when I say they wouldn't joke around like that, they tell you something like that it's because they themselves saw it and tell the tale as a warning, not as a story.

Well when my father was driving he saw one. He was just doing his patrol route along one of the roads, back before there was even pavement, hell before it was gravel it was just a dirt road, so he was going like 15 mph cuz the road was also uneven. He was driving along as per his orders when he heard loud flapping and turned to look at the passenger seat window and sure enough, in the darkness he could make out a large bird with the body of a vulture but the face of an angry old lady. She was looking at my father and he had to do double take, but when he looked again she was gone and the flapping began to fade.

I decided to move what i said earlier about The Hidden People over here. But i might as well expand a bit about them. As i said earlier Iceland has this race of Elves that are called Huldufolk (Hidden People), There name is a combination of two icelandic words Huldu (which means to live in secrecy) and Folk (Which is pretty self explanatory) That are said to live boulders, and it's a really disrespectful for you to mess with their home, and seeing as how more then 30% of Icelandic people believe in legends and such.

I live near a place where these elves are believed to live, so construction workers narrowed the road. so not to disturb the dwellings 

800px-Alfastein_1.jpg

Their known to be able to go invisible, and are known to hate or at least have great dislike for Crosses, Churches and Electricity.  They have also been known to swap their misbehaving children with human children.

Oh, so I guess I kinda have a story to tell. Do you know of the Gurdon Light? Probably not, it's not very interesting, but people say that they can see floating lights above the crossroads there. Why that is depends on who you ask, but most stories involve a death or murder of some sort. Go figure...

Anyway, I go to school about 15 or 20 miles away and, whenever we drive up, we pass the turn-off into the town. There's a sign on the right just before the turn that says "Gurdon" and an arrow pointing along the road, to the top-right of the sign, straight at the top of a bright Shell gas station sign. Whenever my dad and I were coming through that point, our talk had always turned to some heavy historical topic, so we made the joke that it was haunted and that we had solved the mystery.

There's also another story I heard as a kid, but I think it's more of a regional thing than a local thing... Was anyone else terrified of the Taily-po?

In Iceland we don't have Santa Clause. No instead we have these guys who are called the Yule Lads.They fulfill the same role as Santa Clause however unlike Saint Nick. There are thirteen of them and their all assholes, their known to be thief, troublemakers and pranksters. One especially likes to slam doors as he leaves after giving kids presents. 

There also sons of a troll named Grilla, she's the Icelandic boogeyman, who steals children and cooks them in volcanoes 

the-icelandic-yule-lads.jpg

In Iceland we don't have Santa Clause. No instead we have these guys who are called the Yule Lads.They fulfill the same role as Santa Clause however unlike Saint Nick. There are thirteen of them and their all assholes, their known to be thief, troublemakers and pranksters. One especially likes to slam doors as he leaves after giving kids presents. 

There also sons of a troll named Grilla, she's the Icelandic boogeyman, who steals children and cooks them in volcanoes 

Fuck •-•

In my house, we talk of the great elepharts that make farting noises that nobody owns up to. They're tiny elephants, about the size of a biscuit, dressed up in a ninja costume that roll around like a wheel at such high speeds to the point they're invisible to the naked eye.

Edit: They look something like this;

cYgKFw4.png

Yeah they're super cute. Fart really bad though; we've tested and their gas contains dangerous amoutns of elephantus ammoniaite

Last edited by a moderator:
So I don't know if this is a real thing or who it's from or if we're really descended from these people or if my dad's just full of shit. But he told me when I was younger there's some specific ancestors of ours, who, in order to win a battle, would get high as shit, strip themselves naked, paint themselves blue, and attack like that. Now I'm not saying it's not a good battle strategy. If some naked blue dude off his fucking gourd came screaming running at you, you'd probably get the fuck out of there. It's just funny to think about though. I mean

Local legends. Local legends. Let's see...there's an abandoned school by my old house where some weird shit happened. There's a hotel in my new town that's been shut down for years and I can see up in the top windows and somebody keeps moving the furniture around. I used to think a plane crashed into it or something, but that's not right. I've looked up some stuff about it and the people who are super into it refer to the owner as "the Greek" and seem really pissed off at him for something. I kinda wanna break in but idk I'm a goody two shoes and I don't think I'd like jail much. I bet if I go down to the tax assessor's office I can find the owner's name though, and if I can get his name, I can get his address, and if I can get his address, I might be able to convince him to let me in. IDK I'm WAY too curious about the abandoned hotel.

We have a volcano! I don't know if there are any stories about it but it's in the middle of a poisonous mercury filled lake and the town surrounding it is filled with criminals bc that's where the jail bus lets out. They call themselves "The Switzerland of America", whatever the fuck that means. So. That's a thing...infamous to me. 

So I don't know if this is a real thing or who it's from or if we're really descended from these people or if my dad's just full of shit. But he told me when I was younger there's some specific ancestors of ours, who, in order to win a battle, would get high as shit, strip themselves naked, paint themselves blue, and attack like that. Now I'm not saying it's not a good battle strategy. If some naked blue dude off his fucking gourd came screaming running at you, you'd probably get the fuck out of there. It's just funny to think about though. I mean

Yeah, shit like that's really common in history. If you can give me more info I can help narrow it down for you.

The basic concept of a 'berserker' can be found all over the world, crazy motherfuckers that got really drugged up or something and went to murderfuck other people in GLORIOUS BATTLE. These people were usually really respected, if I remember correctly, so I don't find it far-fetched that they could've made babies and some of us have them as our ancestors.

Well my dad also told me we were descended from Merlin. Like, Merlin. Yes, that one. So idk if I could trust what he says. I'm going to do a DNA test soon though so that should be cool.

Well let's see Southern England, Athurian legend gets about of course and there's the slightly dubious story of our patron saint St George with the dragon slaying.

There's an urban legend of sorts that says there are panthers that escaped from a private collection decades ago, nothings been confirmed of course but some say mauled deer and livestock are found sometimes and the occasional blurred video of a large black animal turns up every so often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back