• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure I needed to (if there was a roll or not), but I will do it now.

That is no longer in my hands . . . the dice will tell the results!

Also, what is Mario's Cooking Skill percentage, please?

Oh.

Well, you're in luck! I just picked up this PDF bundle (like yesterday!) from Palladium for all things Ninja & Mutant-ness!

In one of the Rifters, I read that a Character could use a Skill they did not have (within reason) by way of rolling the Attribute best-connected to said Skill (for Cooking, I'd say that's I.Q.). So! It's not going to be Professional Quality stuff (and seriously, I think even Mario would agree that the best way to make any spaghetti is with the freshest ingredients possible - which are not to be found in the crates and boxes the Wild Cards recovered from the Anti-Unification League base they nailed in Veracruz, Mexico).

So, what have we got here? Mario has an I.Q. of 14 (for a flat 14% chance of success). However! He is Italian-American and he's trying to go off of a family recipe here (+10%). He is also using packaged/boxed ingredients as opposed to fresh (which I'm sure makes a small difference, say -5% penalty). But hey! Here comes the Action Point (for a bonus of anywhere from 5-30% depending on what the dice say)!

Remember that Mario has also been tasked at making enough for 55 people (or 50 people and 1 Hercules). But he is in a military-grade kitchen (no comment) with plenty of help (friends, acquaintances, and Sam units).

Before I roll and now that you know the math here (19% + 5-30%), let me go and ask you this: Do you want to ask for help from someone else in your squad? Or would you rather I just rolled? The call is yours - Sherwood Sherwood

Any and all volunteers that wish to help out will be quite welcome. I doubt that anyone has the Cooking skill, but they may be able to aid my roll.

Finally, after all the time letting the sauce simmer and allowing the smell to fill the mess hall, he is satisfied with the results, but he's not going to tell everyone that. "Ok, gang! Spaghetti is on the table. I wish to say that if it were my mom cooking this, it would taste a whole lot better since she is the expert in the kitchen, but I hope that you are all satisfied with how I've done in recreating her work of art. Please, dig in and enjoy!"

This made me laugh out loud! Good one, bud! =)

I must say - I'm surprised Mario doesn't have the Cooking Skill after all this. Might he grab it next level?

Toph will be willing to help out. I don't know how well I can do, but I'm here!

Psychie Psychie Please add a post with Toph acting to that effect. Doesn't have to be long.

Sherwood Sherwood I like your post, but as the game reads, Toph hasn't even acted yet. Add your post after Psychie's, please.

Also, keep the good vibes going but don't jump the gun here - we haven't heard from Kaerri or Sil.

I'll give Kaerri Kaerri and Silanon Silanon another day or two to post either here or in OOC or both. Then I'll move the scene forward.

I'll catch up with things later today, had a few busy days.

Short question: What are the ingredients we're working with? Meat? Vegetables? Is there any chopping and cutting to be done? There's luckily a hundred different ways to make a spaghetti sauce...

Hmmm. I am not the chef that Mario presumes himself to be, so I would have to say that there are a bit of green peppers and onions that are going to go into the sauce, along with lots of garlic and tomatoes.

Short question: What are the ingredients we're working with? Meat? Vegetables? Is there any chopping and cutting to be done? There's luckily a hundred different ways to make a spaghetti sauce...

Silanon Silanon Enjoy a big answer to some wonderful questions. Thank you for providing them! =)
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus I am tagging Cap'n because Hercules is the one who can best make use of this.

The short version? This is a gold mine of expensive food! You have everything you need if you know what you're doing with it. Evidently, Anaconda (for those of you who have read Ylva and Ricky's fun-filled prologues) had good taste, a large wallet, connections, and one hell of an appetite.

The long version? See below.

Sil, the Wild Cards are mainly working with frozen and boxed food meant for long-term storage. The bad news? None of the ingredients you took from the Chessel Corporation are fresh (and nothing beats fresh in this GMs mind). The good news? It's as close as you can get without being fresh food. It's all high-quality stuff (think expensive), none of it outside of their expiration dates, and none of it is canned food. Everything the professional chef needs is here, but some of it might be out of the reach of the non-experienced or food-educated, for it doesn't take either to just throw this stuff on a plate and go with it, but to make it really, really good? That takes skill and experience!

The tough yet easy part - unpacking, thawing, prepping, and distributing. All of it needs to be removed from their crates and refrigerated boxes and individual packages (this alone takes time, especially to make enough for about 55 people). You have wheat-based spaghetti noodles (and only spaghetti noodles, nothing else like angel hair) in long cylindrical tubes. You have dozens upon dozens of packs of frozen vegetables (frozen solid) that need to be thawed, cut, and distributed. Tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, and the like - they are all here.

There is no ready-made bread; the ingredients are here - you have to thaw, prepare, and bake the garlic bread if you want it.

Concerning beef, there is no hamburger meat to be found; all of it is steak. Prime rib, New York strip, porterhouse, you name it - it's here and in large quantities (think Omaha Steaks). There are some sausages to work with too. Quality cheeses (including parmesan) are also available. Thankfully, the Mess has a handful of meat-grinders to work with. Best of all, one of you found a crate filled with kick-ass spice racks (with large garlic pods, nicely-packaged basil leaves, etc.)- here is where a meal can be raised to memorable proportions of both the stomach-filling soulfully good and the bathroom-chasing bad variety. Care is required.

Also, time is on your side since you have nowhere to be and hours before it's dinnertime, a terrific and ready kitchen large enough to do this, plus you have a lot of willing hands (organic and robotic) here to make this happen. Think of this as a team-building challenge for the Wild Cards where Mario's rep for cooking is definitely on the line and your "judges" are people you've just met.

Gang, continue to have fun with it, but let me tell you what's available and what isn't. No creating magical things that simply appear because it's convenient - work with who and what you have (because it's a lot!). =)

You have a gourmet chef among you (and one from the Mediterranean at that!). If all goes well, you'll have something like this for nearly 5-dozen people:

spaghetti-and-meatballs-7-500x500.jpg
(Image credit: Kim's Cravings)

All this said - I just need to know one thing from Sherwood Sherwood - how fancy or simple are you going with this? Hand-made meatballs or steak strips? The fancier, the higher the chance of failure, but the bigger the payoff. The reverse is true for simple presentation - just making the die roll will provide great-tasting, high-quality food. So basically I am asking - does Mario want to show off here or play it simple?

I'm going to go with KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid. Anything too complex will undoubtedly crap all over my plans for a good dinner. Hand made meatballs does sound pretty good, though.

A Tale of the Dice. =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Silanon Silanon

Heya Gang! Just typing out loud here. Enjoy! Our earlier equation gave Mario a (19% + 5-30%) chance by himself. However, things have changed.

I've realized that these ingredients, though packaged, are still excellent quality and should reflect a bonus, not a penalty. So, I'm adding +5% instead of -5%. Other folks are helping, but only Hercules has the skill, but boy, does he! I rolled Hercules's Professional Cook roll and got a 73%. This means Herc was successful in assisting. I'll grant a +10% bonus there. This racks up Mario's chances to... (39% + the Action Point). I roll the Action Point first and get a 1 and a 5 on the 2d6. I choose the higher, of course, for a whopping +25% bonus (5 x 5%) to Mario's chances raising them now to a 64% chance! That's almost 2 out of 3!.

I roll my orange percentile and get... 96! Ouch! That's a Fumble check! I roll again and get (hoping for nothing above a 80%)... Arrgh. An 81%. Mario has Fumbled.

I now have the wondrous glory of rolling on my Fumble charts. *crosses fingers* I get a 43%. (That's "40-45 - Mild weapon targeting malfunction. Only P.P. bonuses (if any) and Weapon Systems skill bonus (if any) to Strike are allowed for that weapon for 1D6 number of attacks." for anyone who is geeky enough to want to know.) What does that mean here?

It means that Mario is in the process of mildly but definitely ruining his precious spaghetti dinner here, probably by way of the sauce (it is a Fumble after all)! Whatever the case, the only folks to turn to are anyone who has a Cooking Skill and is willing to use it.

Cap'n. If you should decide to have Herc come in and try to save the day, the same bonuses apply to Herc (+5% for high-quality food). Hercules can also spend an Action Point if he so chooses. That is, unless another one of you has the Cooking Skill and is willing to take over? Because suddenly, Mario is in serious trouble here!

Last edited:
For anyone who read this within the last 5 minutes, I realized that 96% is actually a Fumble check. I have just edited my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back