• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC chat) - Chapter One

I will reply at some point. I'm on a 13-hour shift today so I'll reply when I have chance. 

Captain Hesperus

-Cap'n.  At your leisure, man.  The game will be here.  Until then, I hope you have a smooth and smiling day.  =)

-Cap'n.  I hope you'll forgive the liberties I took with Herc during the course of the beginning of the prologue; I just couldn't figure out any other way to get the thing written (and go to bed at a decent hour).  

Having said that, would you please let me know how accurate are the parts where I (attempt to) portray Greek culture?  Am I getting kefi and parea right?   When it comes to Greek culture, I am walking in the dark here, my only candles being thoughtful dissertations by Greek persons and travel/culture-related information researched on the Internet.  

EDIT: Re: Olympians.  Also, what in the heck does this mean, please?  Cap'n sez, " [COLOR= rgb(152, 157, 160)]Φίλε μου φίλε*"  I see the asterisk in your sentence but the post seems to lack a second asterisk for definition?[/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good enough by my reckoning (native Brit that I am). I always enjoy your writing and I like the way you bring so much emotion into a scene. I tapped a little into the darker side of Hercules here, the brutal protector of life willing to utterly destroy a threat to himself and others in an entirely monstrous manner before moving on. People shouldn't see this side of him much, but it's what I see as the feral side of his kefi, it's the angry wolf in contrast to his more serene bear drunk on fermented berries. It thinks, it plans and, when it acts, it does so with swift and exacting brutality to completely overwhelm an obstacle. To onlookers, it's horrific, but to one such as Hercules in this situation, it was merely the quickest and safest way to end a threat. He could have used one of the scalpels from the interrogation room, could have even used his own hand to hand skills, but both of these options had risks, the scalpel, while wickedly sharp, is fragile and could be easily broken if deflected. His barehanded attacks would have to be super efficient otherwise he'd be faced with serious injuries if his foe managed to get hands to his knife. The chair was the best weapon. It was heavy, it had better reach and it afforded Hercules a variety of ways to use it. This is a part of Hercules' kefi. But not a part he'd happily talk about.

Captain Hesperus

(I wrote the following just before you posted above.  I'll put my reply to your above post first here.)

I always enjoy your writing and I like the way you bring so much emotion into a scene.

Aw, thanks!  That makes me feel terrific, Cap'n!  =)

I tapped a little into the darker side of Hercules here, the brutal protector of life willing to utterly destroy a threat to himself and others in an entirely monstrous manner before moving on.

I didn't realize such a side of him existed.  So either you wrote about it and I missed it or this is the first time it's come out.  And I can relate with what you mean about this being a rare side of a character.  I didn't consciously write the scene to bring out Herc's dark side; I wrote it because it was the story and I didn't want to start it off with Herc just being a prisoner in the chair alone.  I mean, what else is Herc going to do?  Wait for his fate to come to him?  That doesn't sound very Greek to me.  =)

To onlookers, it's horrific, but to one such as Hercules in this situation, it was merely the quickest and safest way to end a threat.

Right.  That's how I saw it too.  I think I have an accurate idea of who Herc is, but that path of learning about Herc is growing by the post.  =)

This is a part of Hercules' kefi. But not a part he'd happily talk about.

I can imagine.  Still, I find myself very glad that Herc does know about it.  Had Herc been this kind of character who lacked such self-knowledge, he could really hurt someone he cared about all through accident.  

-Cap'n.  Furthermore, as odd as this might sound, I thank you for having Herc knock the living daylights out of that jerk (and I was hoping Herc would use the chair.  I mean, if the darned thing was big enough and heavy enough to hold Herc, then why not use it to smash that guy?).

I don't often like my bad guys.  Imagining their scenes in my head isn't easy sometimes.  Writing the scene out is tougher.  I mean, the very idea of some evil schmuck just being so evil to a helpless kid is enough to make my own blood boil, so I figured anyone reading it and getting into the scene might feel similarly.  All it takes is having a heart.  

I guess what I'm trying to say, Cap'n, is...  it feels really satisfying to see one of my players just unloading on that jerk!  

In fact, I'm going to have some fun with that.  =)

All this talk of the Bad Guys makes me quite glad that Toph got out of her scene without being snagged by them.  If they are willing to be that hostile to a helpless kid, what would they do to a half breed like me?  That's assuming that they don't kill me straight out.

Maybe it's better you don't know, good Psychie...  

I didn't realize such a side of him existed.  So either you wrote about it and I missed it or this is the first time it's come out.  And I can relate with what you mean about this being a rare side of a character.  I didn't consciously write the scene to bring out Herc's dark side; I wrote it because it was the story and I didn't want to start it off with Herc just being a prisoner in the chair alone.  I mean, what else is Herc going to do?  Wait for his fate to come to him?  That doesn't sound very Greek to me.  =)

Everyone has a dark side to them, no matter how good of a person they are.  It just takes a whole lot more to bring out the violent side in some than in others.

Oh, I agree, Sherwood.  Now that I think about it, I didn't realize that Herc's was quite so dark.  

Then again, I really shouldn't be surprised, should I?  The Greek gods were known for their incredible rages...

-Cap'n.  Cap'n, I just love your characters, man!  When I saw what Herc did, knowing what I know as your friendly neighborhood Games Master, I just had to laugh!  And after reading the prologue, you and everyone here will see why.  Oh my gosh...  =)

-All.   Folks like you really make role-playing fun.  =)

-Cap'n.  Please read what is in the spoiler below after you have caught up with Herc's prologue.  =)

Re: Tahel.  For the sake of having one on a label, I gave Tahel a last name.  If you gave her one, I have missed it.  Furthermore, if you don't like that name and you didn't make one, you are more than welcome to change it; you created Tahel after all.  =)  

Also, like the other prologues, I am having a great time with this one!  I hope and imagine you are too?  =)

Yaffe is a fine surname for a good Israeli girl, I'm sure Tahel would be happy with it to. And, yes, I'm really enjoying the prologue!

Captain Hesperus

Yes, sorry about that. I'm sad to say the site does not update across platforms. I wrote the first part on my phone during my break and, rather than re-write it on the computer, I posted it and edited. The full post is up now.

Captain Hesperus

-Cap'n.  I find it rather nice of you to take time from your break at work to answer to a role-playing game.  Thank you!  =)

-Cap'n.  I find it rather nice of you to take time from your break at work to answer to a role-playing game.  Thank you!  =)

RPing helps me escape the stress of this job, and this one in particular has me well sucked in. 

Captain Hesperus

Heya, folks!   I will very likely be able to post a reply to Herc's prologue tomorrow.  See you then!  =)

It's fun to be a Games Master...  =)

Happy Turkey Day tomorrow, everyone!  =)

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate it. Sadly, we don't celebrate it on this side of The Pond, so I'll be missing out on turkey and pumpkin pie (pumpkin piiiiiiiiieeeeeeee, *drool*), but I hope you all have a great day with your families.

Captain Hesperus

I'm guessing once Herc's prologue is done?

Kaerri has the right of it.  The rest of you have enjoyed your prologues, now it's Cap'n's time to enjoy Herc's.  Now if this holiday season can only get a little less busy, I can get to posting more often.  =)

Oh, and don't think I'm not ready to start the game with all of you too.  =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back