• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Farewell to Kings: Pilgrimage of Roses

Jodyguru

Devil's Food
In the city of Dominion, the Southern Church was rebuilt after a nasty fire left the pride of the city a smouldering ruin. The new church stood out among the old bricks of the capitol with its fresh paint and newly laid foundation. Attendance reached a new height on Sunday, the day of Lady's Revivification. Father Landon read the gospel to a captivated audience, and light filled the windows of the church as he extended his arms into the air. The wash of warm light fell onto the crowd, and the Lady's blessing would stay with them even after leaving the freshly painted hall.

Father Landon's understudy was present for the ceremony, and it was his first time attending service since the fire, which started from an unknown origin but most believed it was from a tipped over candle in the study. Few believed it the work of Sanguine, Mitra's archenemy. None thought that the dark lord's evil could breach the walls of Dominion, which were high and protected by multiple holy wards.

Father Landon let out a long sigh. His balding head was dripping wet with perspiration from the humid summer's heat. He was a short crone of a man with thick spectacles and a walking stick. His sun medallion hung lowly, resting on his stomach when he was still.

"and Sir Issac Frostmire entered the unholy church of Sanguine, where the priests conducted their dark prayer. The light of Mitra emanated from his very being and blinded those who would conspire against Her. I uh... I believe you know what happened next." The crowd laughed a little in agreement. "The rhyme of paladins hardly stray from their duty of purification. It is the calling of every man of the cloth to seek out darkness and replace it with Her gift of light. As children of the light, you are bound to a similar duty to seek the darkness within yourselves and cleanse the spirit with good deeds and prayer. As always, the clerics of Mitra will hear your troubles and pass the teachings of the High Order onto you."

Alistair was a young and ambitious cleric. He would do just about anything for father Landon. What an admirable man. Such an inspiration. To keep spreading the good word despite all that has happened. Alistair was delighted to be back at the church. He sat quietly off the the side listening, studying and analyzing the farhers sermine. Although hes heard this story a thousand times before it never gets old and he always learns something new. Alistair takes a deep breath, reflecting on himself. Reflecting on the state of the world and current situations. He closed his eyes and listened. The fathers voice nearly putting him to sleep. It was gentle and calming but strong and authoritative at the same time. It was hard to explain but his voice just made him feel secure like everything was going to be ok.

Reflecting on the state of the world, he'd be reminded of Rodrick's Army and their attempts to breach the walls of Dominion. Prince Rodrick was the supposed son of the old king, before the world was darkened by the vampire lords. His forces were determined to enter and reestablish the crown, but many were opposed to the old way of governing. They were seen as insurgents by the majority of the nation.

Father Landon finished the sermon and folks started filing out of the church. A young woman with brown hair stopped by Alistair and waited for him to open his eyes. "Uh, hello sir." She said. She couldn't have been older than fifteen.
"My name is Sasha Fielding and I was hoping you'd give me some advice? My father has arranged for me to be married. He says this marriage will save him from financial ruin, and I should be grateful for my role in saving our family. I just... my fiance is much older than me, and I've hardly been outside Dominion. I don't want to disappoint my father, but I don't know if I can go through with the wedding. What should I do?"

Alister smiled it wasnt often someone asked for his help usually they would go to Landon. "Fear not arranged marriages are very common and it is also common to have an older husband. Older and wealthy is good especially for your family and you being so young are at the perfect age for child baring. It's a wonderful thing you should be delighted to go out into the world and help your family. This is a great opportunity for you to do your part."

Sasha's face turned red. She hadn't even thought about child bearing until he said it. After her slight embarrassment ended she started to nod to what Alister was saying.
"I see... I guess I'm being selfish then. Who knows? Maybe if I make my father and new husband happy I'll be able to take the trip to Emerald City like I always wanted. Thank you, sir. Mitra bless you." She said and left quickly with her long brown hair twisting in the wind.

Father Landon approached Alister with the book of scripture in his hands. He had a wrinkled smile that made his eyes appear shut like little crescents.
"Good work, son. You've been paying attention to the needs of the people like any good cleric should. I am curious if you plan on taking a wife of your own?" Father Landon chuckled.
Some of the High Order clerics had wives, and a couple had multiple. Father Landon's wife had passed away years ago, and his children were spread out around Paladina.
"I tease, but do consider the broadness of your horizons. You're much too young to stay cooped up in the belfry with a bunch of old men."

Alistair laughed. "I dont something like a wife to interfere with my studies. At least not yet. I have far to much to learn still. Maybe someday I can lead my own congregation. I can only hope to one day be as enlightening as you."

The old priest chuckled. "Please, save your admiration until I tell you the good news." He said, which certainly caught the young lad's attention. "I've been exchanging letters with a certain veteran whose agreed to take you on your very own pilgrimage!" He handed the book to Alistair. Inside the front cover was a letter with a long red feather tucked inside it.

The letter read:
"Dear Brother Alistair,
Your spiritual guide Landon has had much to say about you. I hold his opinion in high regard. He says that you are ambitious, studious, and a gentleman. I hope to see those traits in you when we meet, as they will become very important for the road ahead. The Pilgrimage to Mount Soren is a rite of passage all young clerics must complete to become sanctified in Her holy temple. I'd like to humbly offer my service to you, as I have made the journey many times, and never have I failed in my duties to Mitra. If you agree, find me in the West District courtyard, just outside the temple.
May Mitra's light guide you,
Sir Isaac Frostmire II

"This is amazing," Alistair was joyous. "I've been waiting for this for ... for ever I have to go right now. Where do I start? What should I pack?" He was so overcome with excitement that he couldn't think. He wanted to go. He wanted to run. To start his pilgrimage right now. Just to walk out the door and head off without a second thought but of course that was dangerous and risky. He needed to plan to get more details. To pack if he was allowed to. To find food. Maybe even money. In fact their was a lot he had to think about before he could go

Landon patted Alistair on the back. "This is your pilgrimage, son. You decide when it starts and what you shall bring. Many have chosen their own way to honor Mitra. Some more... unique than others. When I made my first journey, I painted my entire body in scriptures and had a big yellow sun on my stomach. My paladin thought I was crazy." He chuckled. "I would either write back or speak to Sir Isaac, let him know your plan. Just make sure you have one. I know enough about Sir Isaac to know he hates to suffer fools. As far as packing goes, bring a spare set of boots. I made the mistake of wearing clogs. Lost them after the first day and went barefoot the rest of the way. Also, don't worry about food, there will be plenty to hunt and gather in Mitra's bountiful land."

Alistair chuckled "I know what I'm going to do. But I'm not telling. You'll just have to wait and see. I'm going to do something no one has ever attempted and only the grace of mitra will get me through safely. It will show how strong she prevails. I have to go meet sir isaac." Alistair ran out the door to go to the west district

Father Landon smiled and waved as Alistair flew out of the church like a skyward hawk. The young Alistair made way through the winding city streets that were designed to be intentionally confusing to anyone not familiar with Dominon. Luckily Alistair had grown up inside these walls and knew all the shortcuts.

The West District was the quickest way to reach Central, the city's epicenter. This district was home to the city's police force and many members of the High Order resided here. Naturally, it was the most lavish and decadent district in the city. The Temple was a large forum, and across from it was the old castle where the Order convened. Once his pilgrimage was complete, Alistair would ascend these many steps and be anointed at the castle.

A monk of middling age was standing at the top of the stairs when Alistair arrived. He bowed and had his hands linked behind his back.
"Welcome initiate. The Order has not convened today, if that is what brings you here......... ah, you're looking for Sir Isaac. Yes, you'll find him to the left, but be warned, he does not like being disturbed."
The monk followed Alistair with a concerned look on his face. In the forum, a bulky shirtless man was sitting on the tiled floor with a flower planter that was tipped over. He was scooping the dirt back into the pot and gently placing the damaged flowers back into their proper places.
"Sir Isaac?" The monk said.
"What? Can't you see I'm busy?" Sir Isaac snapped without looking.
"A young cleric has come to see you." the monk answered sheepishly.
Sir Isaac quickly turned his head to see Alistair and the monk, then went back to his planter.
"Careless philosophers always treat this place like its some kind of dueling grounds. Well, I ought to thrash them for disrespecting my garden. Well, what do you want cleric?" He turned his head again, only briefly looking at Alistair. It seemed like he was in a very sour mood indeed.

"Beg your pardon sir. I am Alistair, understudy of father Landon. I recieved your letter so that I may begin my pilgrimage and become a full fledged member of the church. I'm ready sir. I've been waiting for this day all my life."

Sir Isaac picked up a violet rose and placed it tenderly in the flower pot. He gestured to the stone bench beside him, then looked to the monk. "Leave us" he ordered, and the monk bowed and quickly left them alone.

"You speak of a letter, may I see it?" He asked. Once he saw the red feather sticking out, he groaned and rubbed his bald head with dirt covered fingers. "Ah, now I remember. Apologies for my preoccupation. I simply cannot stand disorder in my presence."
The paladin wiped his hands on a piece of cloth pulled from his pocket. He was coated in fresh sweat and his muscles twitched like he'd been exercising before the flowerpot was knocked over.

"You've been waiting your whole life, so you must have a plan. Mount Soren has a funny way of turning plans on their head, which is why a Paladin must accompany you." He snorted and his squareish face twisted in disgust. "Peh, the church has gotten soft. That's a new rule they implemented because too many clerics were dying on the pilgrimage. It's become clear to me that clerics today are too weak willed to honor Mitra properly. Look at you... bony body, tender hands, face soft like a baby's ass. Soren may swallow you regardless." Sir Isaac seemed more interested in cleaning his gardening trowel and the remains of dirt from the floor than offering Alistair the dignity of eye contact. He didn't have to look at the young cleric to know everything he needed to.

Alistair was a little offended but he didnt let it bother him. "I want to go alone." He stated. "I am going with just the cloths on my back and the grace of miltra. I want to be the first person who makes the journey with no supplies. The gods will guild me through safly I'm sure of it. I will bring new life to the church."

The paladin turned to look at Alistair. Was he serious, or was this to get his attention? Well, he had the paladin's attention now. Once he saw the seriousness in his eye, Sir Isaac bursted out laughing.
"That's rich! What a man you are! Well, I'll keep a look out for your skeleton the next time I leave the city." he chortled. "What do you think lies outside the walls, anyway? Brigands, slavers, and all sorts of monstrous creatures from the nine realms. I didn't even mention Rodrick's detachments. Faith alone will not save you, boy. Mitra has no love for the foolhardy, and she's let more pious men die a cruel death." He finished cleaning and stood up. He was a tower of a man with clear blue eyes and vascular forearms.

"Suicidal behavior wont make anyone respect you. They'll just treat you like an infant the rest of your life. My teasing is meant to teach you an important first lesson. This journey will test you in more ways than your faith to Mitra. A cleric must hone his body's strength, or else he'll fail to protect which he holds dear. This realm relies on strong Fathers to protect it."

At first Alistair was angry with isaac response but then he understood. As much as he just wanted to run out and start hiking through the wilderness he had to take a step back. He couldn't let his excitement get the better of him or he would wind up dead. He had to train mentally and physically if he wanted to survive especially if he was going to take nothing with him. Hes attitude quickly changed from excited and foolish to calm and serious. "Yes sir, I understand." He said quietly and straight faced

The Paladin took a deep, calming breath. He was starting to worry he had crushed the boy's spirit. He had expected a little more from someone who had earned Landon's confidence.
"Well, Landon believes you are ready. I can only assume he doesn't know about your plan, or else he would've implored you to reconsider. For what reason could you have to make such a decision? The pilgrimage is not a game, its your spiritual journey. The hardships of life come for all of us, even the richest man shall suffer at the hands of fate. Do you believe that enduring such pain will bring you closer to Mitra?"

"No I have not told him and I realize this is not a game andd it will be very hard or even life threatening but imagine the new life that would be breathed into the church if I overcame such a feat. It would bring me closer to mitra and countless overs too. This journey could be revolutionary for a lot of people because everyone would want to see the man crossing the world with nothing."

Sir Isaac watched him as he spoke and folded his arms. Landon may have understated this boy’s ambition. They were much higher than he was expecting. Isaac felt he was either witnessing the start of a future high priest, or a dead man walking. The paladin smirked at him.

“I see you’ve given it some thought. Those thoughts being delusions of grandeur, but that’s neither here nor there. I’d be honored to witness this task myself. I am at your disposal, Brother Alistair.”
He offered a polite bow to the young cleric.

"It is too risky to just leave now. As much as I want to I must prepare. I will spend a couple of months preparing my mind and body for the journey. After all I dont want to wind up dead. Will you help me in preparing?"

Sir Isaac smiled and nodded. "Yes, of course. I'm glad you asked." He turned his back on Alistair. "Follow me"

The paladin led Alistair into the old castle and through a door that the young cleric had never been through before. It led to a dark and winding staircase. Isaac pulled a torch from the wall and walked with Isaac.

"In the last age, these stairs led to the soldier barracks and dungeon. We have since moved our soldier barracks to be more accommodating and closer to their stationed points. The dungeon is also no longer in use."

When they reached the bottom of the stairs, Isaac walked through a hallway, then into another room. The room lit with bright white sunrods in the ceiling. In the room was a collection of weight equipment. Everything from curling racks to bench and squats. There was a hanging sandbag and plenty of space for sparring and aerobics.

"This is where I trained when I was aiming for knighthood. The plate mail I wear into battle now would've crushed my weaker self. Of course, we can't get everything we need in this room. I thought it would be a good place to start. What do you think?"

Alister smiled. He had to train hard and study hard. He was happy that isaac was willing to help him. So many ways to train. It would take a while before he felt confident enough to leave on his track. He knew it would be difficult so he had to take his training seriously.

Last edited:
After the first day of training, Alister could hardly walk, much less make his way home. Isaac had pushed him hard, making him run up and down the stairs at least a dozen times. All he could do was crash in one of the dungeon cells, where a bed had been prepared by one of the monks. His body felt like a raw nerve pounding to the rhythm of his heart. Sleep came for him quickly.

In his dreams, he felt like he was moving through a dark abyss. Emaciated bodies were moving silently, looking like dried husks. In the distance was a beam of light. The smiling face of Mitra was shining upon him.

"Alistair..." the woman's voice called him. It seemed like the only way to reach her was by climbing a staircase. He tried to climb, but he was missing his feet, and merely fell down. The light was growing dim, and soon he couldn't see the Lady's face at all.

"Where are you!" He shouted. His voice echoing in the darkness. How couldn't see anything. He couldnt see himself. "I can't find you!" Was this the real life or was this just fantasy. He felt like he was caught in a land slide. He needed to find her but how. It was like he was blind.

"Alistair... Alistair..." her voice echoed. The cleric was jolted awake by the turmoil of his dream.
In the dimly lit dungeon, Alistair saw the outline of Isaac standing there. "Sleeping the day away? I suppose one could lose track of time in this place. Get dressed and meet me upstairs." He left Alistair to tend to himself. His muscles ached, but stretching helped a little.

Upstairs, Isaac was grinding a mortar and pestle. He had greens and a small bowl of powder. He mixed it together and produced a cup of green frothy juice. He was wearing a white robe lined with gold trim.
"Here, this should help your aches and give you some energy. Brace yourself for the bitterness."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back