• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐫 𝐒𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐬 | open and accepting! apps due march 20th!

rakshasa

Guillermo Buillermo?
Roleplay Type(s)

scroll

Romancing

Nonemis

I

the

magician

INTRO

Art by Demizu Posuka!

An impossibly shaped matrix of every color imaginable, including some unimaginable, extends off the side of a building, ascending infinitely into the heavens. It’s an advertisement by an illusion witch that went up last week, all for a new brand of oil paint. A man passes on a cart, pulled by an unearthly beast whose eyes turn to meet yours, whose eyes constantly shift in shape and form and fall into themselves indefinitely; you’re nearly hypnotized until its owner smacks it on the head, forcing it to turn its gaze. Overhead, ornate crafts painted gold and carved with red sigils hover, manned by the Queen’s royal guards. The sun is rising over Asphodel Isles, and for the first time in years, you find yourself alone.

Asphodel Isles are a collection of islands located south of the Tyrrhenian Sea, a few miles off the coast of Sardinia, Italy, and are the only places in the world where witches outnumber humans. For centuries it was by necessity, out of fear of punishment for the practice of witchcraft. Now, at the dawn of the 20th century, the land has become one of wonderment, where humans from all ends of the Earth come to marvel at the inhabitants and their society, where magic springs forth from every free patch of dirt and puffs up from every footstep in the grass. In this place, towers spiral into the clouds, casting shadows over enchanting towns full of witch houses and magic markets where your wildest dreams are just a broomstick ride away.

This story doesn’t concern the city itself. Frankly, you’ve had enough of tourists as well as the people that serve them.

In this world, a majority of witches are aided by a familiar as master and servant, the latter anything from human to animal to spirit to fae. Witch and familiar share a sacred bond between souls cemented by contract, fated to live side by side forever and serve each other in ways phantasmal and material. While witches may get the bigger end of the stick, there are reasons these bonds are far and wide considered the norm; animals make bonds in return for the ability to communicate, and humans for a fraction of the magic given to them by their bond. Spirits, often making bonds for reasons sometimes unknowable and often unsavory, are prized for the awesome power they bestow upon their witch. Together, a witch and their familiar are able to pull from each other’s abilities and magic, deriving strength from each other and the bond they share. In all cases these bonds are formed by contracts, ones that dissolve after a certain goal has been met and hunger satisfied. Sometimes these contracts last as short as a few years, often times as long as either may live.

You are one of the many humans, animals or lesser spirits that has formed a contract with a witch and become their familiar. It’s been a satisfying existence sharing a bond with your witch; the rare opportunity to access their unique magic and practice alongside them, the fantastical adventures you two have gone on together, mostly free accommodations. It can sometimes be frustrating being bonded, being divinely forced to serve your master’s every will, but you joined a bond for a reason, and you’re getting what you want out of it. You even get to hang out with their friends’ familiars during sabbaths.

This morning was different, however. Instead of being shook or called awake, you were stirred from your slumber by piercing rays of sun gleaming in through your window. Searching your abode, you confirmed your suspicions that your witch was nowhere to be found. This is where we begin.

XVIII

the

moon

Overview

Welcome to the world of Asphodel Isles! A world where witches rule and humans are the minority. In this world, witches form bonds with familiars, who range from human to animal to ethereal spirit; sometimes for extra help, sometimes for power, always for a servant bound by magic to aid in everyday life.
You are a witches familiar, and after waking up one morning to discover your witch has mysteriously disappeared, you must set out and find them. Luckily, many familiars share friendships in solidarity, being at the bottom rung of witch society and all, so at least you won’t be alone on this perilous journey!

III

the

empress

Rules

How we doing RPNation nation

I love fantasy rps but I never see anything about the poor folks in the fantasy world that get the short end of the stick, a.k.a. familiars, humans and the similarly magically-challenged! Personally, I love an underdog story, and that's exactly who this story will surround! I'm super excited since this is my first RP in a while where I'm GMing! That being said, pls be nice if I mess something up lol

1. Rpn rules, be respectful, no godmodding, etc. etc. etc.
2. Discord is required; there’s going to be a lot of plotting, so be warned.
4. In regards to posts, advanced literacy is required. I have trouble getting out long posts so no paragraph requirement, just give us something to work with. In the same vein (kinda), there won’t be any requirements on how often you post, just tell us if you’re not gonna be able to post for a while.
5. This will not be first come first served, and I only have seven slots open for this RP. One slot per person (unless we don’t get much interest).
6. Please read everything on the interest check before asking questions. I'll provide more rules about the characters when the CS thread goes up.
7. Have fun! I have faith in you guys to be creative and not do anything dumb. I’m not a tyrant when it comes to GMing so feel free to come to me if you have a suggestion or issue.

Divination Witch - Open

He was one of the most talented fortune tellers of his time, able to read the future in anything from a crystal ball to sunlight shining through gaps in the treetops. He owned and slept in the Lotus Athenaeum, an endlessly winding library and archive who’s halls he wandered restlessly. He spent his days and nights attempting to decode its countless precious old tomes, relying on his familiar to retrieve records for him and climb into hard to reach places, as well as act as emotional support.

Portal Witch - Closed

Born into wealth, she was raised on her parents' little private island. A 9th generation Asphodel witch, she often dreamed of seeing the whole world through the use of portals and teleportation. Unfortunately, her talent was paltry compared to her passion; however, no matter how many times she failed, she would always try again. Her familiar was at her side throughout it all, even if it meant acting as her guinea pig in her attempted spells and rituals.

Conjuring Witch - Open

She was once a great gladiator, who used her power of conjuring creatures from other plains to entertain crowds of hundreds as she fought them tooth and nail. In her old age this hobby fell to the wayside. For many years she’s been living in an old, eccentric mansion, now only ever conjuring spirits to have tea and a talk, and occasionally beasts for a scratch behind the ears. Her familiar has been at her side throughout it all, a dear friend for their witch to rely on.

Alchemy Witch - Open

He always dreamed of more, growing up in a poor family and eventually moving into a cramped apartment in the city, situated right above a train line. A student of transmutation, he studied restlessly for the ability to transform anything or anyone, from animal to element, into whatever he desired. He was over the moon when he received his familiar, adoring them for the prestige and companionship they provided.

Death Witch - Open

Miles away from society, she lived secluded in a hut on the edge of a swamp, in the thick heart of Asphodel woods. While she never had much in life, she was happy; all she needed was a steady supply of death and dead materials to fuel her necrotic magic to keep her satisfied. She was never too close to her familiar, using them mostly as a tool to go out and retrieve spell materials.

Element Witch - Open

He had the ability to shape the world around him to his desires, with control over fire, air, water and earth. Born without a committed bone in his body, he slept in a houseboat floating on the shores of Asphodel, content to just row away whenever he was discovered by the law (or responsibility). He made his way through life scamming and pick-pocketing, with his familiar acting as his partner in crime.

Charm Witch - Open

A gifted enchanter, he could pull anyone under his control with a simple spell. While he had no business being near the queen, a rogue and a rascal by heart, he always had an eye for the ornate and the valuable, so he charmed his way to the top in order to live in an apartment in one of the luxurious towers in the queen’s citadel. As adroit as he was shallow, he regarded his familiar as little more than a status symbol and a pet (regardless of species).

Illusion Witch - Open

A cunning saleswoman raised with little, she dedicated every day of her life to working as hard as she could for a good life. She lived directly above the sales district, where she could sell her wares (potions, usually sold second-hand from artisan witches, including the necro witch) nearby with the help of her illusion magic. She was able to deform and bend the world around her in the eyes of her customers, changing the perceptions of their sight, hearing, even smell and taste. She often had a hard time keeping her head above water, and she credits her success to her familiar, who was always there to help sell.

Abjuration Witch - Open

Most abjuration magic is used by police and criminals, using this ability to counter and tear away the magic of others; instead of going down that route, she worked as a teacher at a magic school, snatching away powers from overzealous witchlings at risk of doing harm. She’s lived alongside her familiar for many years, leaning on them as a teacher’s assistant and helping her out with her own family.

Animancy Witch - Open

His family moved to Asphodel only months ago in hopes of healing his ailing human father; unfortunately, he passed away shortly after, leaving his family alone with a large sum of wealth. This witch was given a familiar to ease his pain, but despite his family’s best efforts, he’s only retreated into himself, finding comfort in studying the dark art of Animancy, control over the soul, the body and it’s functions. His family has been seeing less and less of him for weeks, so only he and his familiar know what he’s been practicing lately.

♡design by terrorkitty, coded by uxie♡

Last edited:
This is honestly too cool; I love underdog characters lol! Interested for sure ^^

Interested in the elemental witch. I'm a little confused though, are we playing the witches themselves or their familiar counterparts?
You're playing as the familiar, and basing them around one of the witch roles as who they would've been bonded with. Sorry, I should've made it more clear lol

Such an intriguing idea! The one that interests me the most by far is the Death Witch.

0a2717fc6026c3a8b1627acfb7c2c2ca.jpg

ooooo looking veryyyy respectfully! def count me interested! ♡

I’m definitely interested! The Divination Familiar and The Conjuring Familiar are the ones I’m eyeing hehe.

I've changed focus then. I'd like apply for the Charmed Witch's human familiar. I was thinking that they could be twins and my character has to be around to boost the effectiveness of the charms of his brother.

Ah i forgot to ask, what’s your policy on face claims? Will this rp be using real face claims, art, or descriptions?

This isn't first come first serve, but can people make multiple characters though? Roles are pretty limited so I'd be surprised haha

Love the idea, I'm interested! Not one hundred percent sure if I have a character idea remotely good enough for it, but we'll find out!

I'm definitely interested, love the formatting you have so far!

(Ah, and my friend Headphones Headphones is ALSO interested <3 She sincerely apologizes for not posting herself, she'll be able to soon!)

This sounds like an interesting concept mark me down as interested as well!

That said since it’s not first come first serve but (probably) application based, would we be able to make a few diff concepts to apply with (like not multiple characters expectation but make a unique idea for each role)

Hello, hope you don't mind a new face, but I really like this idea and want to apply when the time comes.

This question might be a bit on the nose, but what are you looking for in an applicant? What kind of vibe are you looking for in our characters?

Also, do the zodiacs beside the witch's descriptions an insight into each witch's temperaments or are they just there to look cool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back