• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted Essence: The Young Exalts and the Sea IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Maya stands nearby, and asks, "Is there anything that we can do to help?"

The young dragon blood was aghast and intrigued at the sight before him. ‘So that’s one of the big bad anathema. Certainly dangerous looking but I’m not seeing any horns or malice rolling of him. Pretty shiny though.’Tulak thought.“Slaying the whale is our only goal with this ship.”

"I did not observe any wrecks, sir. It is possible the illusion is only one of several wards that have ensured this island remained undisturbed since at least the Shogunate. We may wish to consider carefully the implications of shattering them without a clear idea of why they were erected," she offers cautiously but with an undercurrent of excitement. It's not every day one tests one's sorcery against the ancients. The paperwork for this is going to be legendary. The Forbidding Manse will have my head if this is theirs, but they wouldn't be so sloppy.

Garret looks over at the 'mortal' sorceress and says, "We may not have the luxury of not dropping the illusion if we are to find our goal."

"The Lunar does have a point," Fabien says to Ijara from out of sight of the others. "Left unchecked, whatever sorcery was cast upon this island will only continue to agitate the Gem of Wise Discernment to the point that it forcibly tries to break the illusion itself. And I sense that this is not just a visual illusion, but a physical one as well. The very topography of this island has been made to deviate from fate. I fear that unless the illusion is brought down, you will be unable to make use of the Blue Seahawk."

Garret: 0 Anima, 5/5 Motes, 0 Committed Motes
Maya: 0 Anima, 5/5 Motes, 0 Committed Motes
Tuyak: 0 Anima, 5/5 Motes, 0 Committed Motes
Sojiro: 0 Anima, 5/5 Motes, 0 Committed Motes
Ijara: 0 Anima, 5/5 Motes, 0 Committed Motes, 0 Will

"Very well then, let's proceed. Whatever the reason for the illusion probably isn't as threatening as a wild behemoth obliterating cities on a whim. If that assumption proves to be inaccurate then, feel free to cease the working if necessary." Sojiro replies with a nod. "I'll trust the judgment of our sorcerers for this one as information presents itself."

Cid and Ijara head towards the prow of the ship, the hearthstone crackling within the Twilight's orichalcum-clad fist all the while. Once there, the Solar instructs the Sidereal to recite an intricate Old Realm chant in time with him, with Ijara immediately recognizing it as one used to bring down sorcerous workings. As the two of them chant, Cid aims the hearthstone towards Akamin Island, while also shifting his grip so that he's holding it in his fingertips. Green lightning erupts from the hearthstone in a near constant stream, but it doesn't come near any of you or the ship, and as the chanting continues, the lightning gradually converges on a point several meters ahead of the ship.

Cracks of bright silver light appear ahead, emerging from the focus of the lightning to crisscross over Akamin Island and the surrounding sky. Then, with an almighty shattering sound, the view ahead falls away like a destroyed stained-glass window, or a collapsing tower within Chiaroscuro.

Beyond it, you see another island, only this one is far larger, with forests and mountains in the distance. It's the true form of Akamin Island, all of you realize.

With the dispelling of the illusion, Ijara finds her headache has cleared up. Cid meanwhile allows himself a few seconds to look at the newly revealed island, before turning around and tossing the now inert hearthstone back to Sojiro, grinning as if to assure the Air Aspect that he hadn't forgotten the request from earlier.

Moments later, one of the crew calls out to the others, his hand pointing up to the sky ahead. Those who choose to follow his astounded gaze - including Cid - see the Blue Seahawk up in the distant, drifting down towards the island with smoke billowing out of its hull.

What do you do?

At Sojiro's nod Ijara steps forward and squares off with the Anathema, sizing him up. Her eyes bore into his, defiant, silently daring him to live up to that golden brand glowing on his forehead, great and terrible. It's always nice when the persona's feelings line up so well with her own. She never was much of an actress. Hardly a fitting passtime for one of her social standing, mother would have been scandalized.

As the illusion is shattered she breathes a soft sigh of sweet relief. Then her attention is pulled to the skyship and she springs into action. She calls to the Huraka Olnberin, playing amongst the rigging, "Winds for the fleet! Towards that stretch of coast." She points at a suitable beach near the probable crash site.

She strides quickly to the gunwale, red string dancing between her fingers, clouds coalescing into a solid platform as she steps up onto the gunwale and out over the open ocean. She glances over her shoulder, "We cannot afford to wait for the fleet to make landfall. This cloud will convey any volunteers to the crash site without delay."

From the current angle of approach, much of the island's edges are high cliffs, though there is one beach you can see. It appears at a glance from a telescope to be untouched by sentient hands, and the marines accompanying the five of you start heading towards it. Before they get far however, a voice calls out from the crow's nest of the Falcon.

"Captain! Shale! I can see people on the cliffs near the beach! They seem to be looking at us!"

"So the island is inhabited," Cid comments from the gunwale. "I was wondering what could have damaged that ship we saw in the skies."

Speaking of the Blue Seahawk, you see it turn away from the ocean as it continues to descend, the stricken vessel looking like it'll crash somewhere inland.

Maya squints het eyes in an effort to get a better look at the airship and the level of damage it has suffered before asking of the group, "Didn't this ship supposedly crash here years ago, or am I mistaken about that?"

“It’s never simple with things from the old world isn’t it?” Tulak gripped his spear at the sight of the falling ship and possibly hostile natives. “This place was hidden from mortal eyes for gods knows how long. Why are there people here?”

Garret shrugs and says, "Who knows? It could be a pocket of reality that has been keeping them trapped. Or I'm completely wrong. Either way, we have a behemoth to stop."

Without another word Tulak jumped for the cloud. As he landed he focused his gaze toward the coming ship and the people of that island. "Do have any idea of what we'll have to face Solider Witch?" Random Word Random Word

Ijara replies to Maya without taking her eyes off the descending skyship. "I doubt we care so long as it flies, so let us hurry to meet this one before it meets the earth."

Ijara follows Tulak's gaze, "A society undisturbed since the Realm Before. Pray there are no Anathema who escaped justice. They would make the behemoth seem tame."

With a mental command she urges the cloud forward at a gallop towards the probable impact site, Misja perched on her shoulder like a bright ball of fire, hair whipping in the wind.

Garret keeps on his human form as he rides on the cloud. He says, "With that ship still in the air, we will have to be prepared for it to still have a crew onboard. They may not take kindly to us jumping into their ship uninvited, no matter what our reason for doing so."

"Things certainly could never be that simple, could they?" Sojiro adds, hand shading his eyes as he watches the ship drift to lower and lower altitudes. "Time to make nice then as best we can. Let's see if they recognize old Realm or Seatongue."

"Hey there good people! We're here for that ship. Who speaks for you?" The shikari beckons in both tongues once they get within shouting range.

Leaving Cid and the Falcon behind, the five of you are greeted in the sky by a group of six riders, each one atop a great bird that resembles a cross between a monstrous parrot and a winged reptile. Ijara, being the most learned of the group by far, recalls that feathered reptiles were much more commonplace during the time of the supposed Anathema.

"This island is under the protection of the Lunar Lady Telai," one of the riders declares in Old Realm, his gaze focusing on the Daiklave upon Aredin's hip. Unlike the other riders you can see, he's one of the beastfolk, a tall and limber man with feathers, green skin and a large, reptilian beak in place of where a human would have his mouth and nose. "Who are you to think you can fly above it? And how did you even get through Lady Telai's illusion in the first place? You must understand, we can no longer trust easily, now that the Dragon-blooded and the Sidereals have turned upon the Solar Deliberative and the Lunars."

Prior to hearing these words, Ijara is able to observe from her elevated position that the island extends for a long way. Assuming the five of you and your cloud are able to travel on unmolested, it would take you several hours at least to reach the other side of it. As for the Blue Seahawk, that looks to be a few hours straight flight away.

Last edited:
The shikari has to stifle a scoff at the challenge in rider's tone, dialing his own reaction to a mere curious smirk."I am Tepet Sojiro, an Air Dragon, the very sky is my mistress and she obeys me. You can ask our quarry, Aigaion, the feathered whale. As for trust, if your leader is a Lunar, we have one among our number. Perhaps your lady would prefer to deal with Garret here instead of me, given relations? I can respect it. Shall we wait here to see if she will grant us an audience?" Sojiro offers, attempting to be diplomatic and civil in the face of an ever-increasing density of Anathema influence of late. 'Ironic they are the least of my worries right now,' he thought, dismissing the matter for later.

Tulak glanced back and forth between Sojiro and the island inhabitants. ‘He could stand to be a little more humble. ‘ Tulak thought. ‘But things are fine so far. Let’s hope they’re at least willing to hear us out.’ He wanted to save the West and while he would help his circle strong arm there way to get the ship if needed, he wouldn’t enjoy it. ‘Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that….’

Last edited:
The lizardman shakes his head, but you sense a hint of amusement about him.

"You've got nerve, coming here right after your kind stabbed so many of the Lunars' Solar mates in the back, and being so blasé about it," he says, before gesturing to a nearby mountain range. "The centre of our civilization is a city beyond those mountains. You can travel there if you seek an audience with Telai, but I cannot promise a warm welcome for the Dragon-blooded of your company. Otherwise, you may camp anywhere you judge suitable. Telai will find you soon enough."

"Right after...?" Sojiro gives a puzzled look on his face at that particular statement. "Well, I suspect we don't have much choice." The shikari turns to the rest of their covenant. "If we can make the trip quickly enough, we might as well get this done with sooner rather than later. Thoughts?"

Maya nods. "Their comment is telling. That ship went missing years ago, and add to that their comment of how recent the Usurpation was, and it says to me that time has been much slower here than in the rest of Creation. Garret made the comment along the lines of that this may be a pocket of reality all to itself, and I think we will find that he is right. Well done, my large friend."

Garret lets out a small chuckle. "Thank you, Maya. People see someone as big as I am and immediately think 'big equals stupid' and assume I can't think my way out of a paper sack, and any intelligent thoughts I have must be a fluke. It can get very old very fast. Well now. Let's see what this other Lunar has to say for himself."

Tulak would point out that as an Outcaste he's technically not affiliated with the backstabbing Dragonblooded of old. But he sensed now wasn't the time for semantics. 'And what's this about backstabbing?' He thought. 'The only thing his mother and by extension he knew of the Anathema of old was that they ruled over the world of old as tyrants. Much like his mother, he put little stock into that story as it probably only the entire truth. But here was a golden opportunity to enlighten himself.

"I think Garret has the right of it, as well." Tulak said. "And that possible danger aside we should head for their city to seek an audience. But I think Garret should be the one heading this venture. Things might go smoother if he does the talking."

Soujiro nods. "Agreed. Garret, if you would be so kind, we'll trust you to speak on our behalf." He replied gesturing the way forward. "There's three sides to every story, and you're our best chance of being heard."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back