• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Exalted 3rd: To Wound the Autumnal City

Cthulhu_Wakes

Black Sun in a White World
Plucking for interest here. It's been a while! Since Exalted 3rd has hit, I've been reinvigorated to actually get something going again. I think I've got something good here. Let's see what you think.

Beyond the Golgi Range's precipitous switchbacks and wind-swept summits lies a lonely piece of Creation, the Old Crown Lands. Sprawling out from densely wooded foothills, this unremembered wing of the Hundred Kingdoms has carried on as it always has this past Age--in its own time. The baronies, refuge-nations, pocket consortiums, and the iron dogma of the Metropolitan are the modern outgrowths provided by the fertile steppes. Ruined civilizations litter the region, all of them eagerly cultivated in pursuit of truth and sorcerous advantage against one's neighbor. Most coveted is the crown jewel of the region--the calcified city sitting at the heart of the Spokes.

Wonder is a birthright of the Old Crown Lands being so rich in past peoples. Scavenger lords and monarchs alike grow to enormous power through the finds made in slag runs through ab-cities and desolate shrines. The area is oft-unremembered in the grand scheme of Creation--things move in their own time. An Immaculate Faith contends constantly with Metropolitan missionaries for hearts and minds of locals. Time and again shikari march the legions on Sechal. Despite this and the lucrative artifact trade, the region is very much kept to itself bordered by the Golgi and hemmed in by a vast ocean of steppe.

In this present Time of Tumult, however, the nations of the Old Crown Lands find themselves at the precipice. Plague has stricken the river marshlands and the fervor of the Metropolitans has heightened to calls for a Grand Work, armed holy war, against a nameless, sorcerous agent that has moved upon the dead city, corrupting it and digging deeply into that which should never be seen.

Onto this stage step our players.

Five players max--perfect Circle would be nice, but I know well enough that that never really pans out. Can run with just four! Exalted 3rd Edition is a must to play.

An FYI: I already have a number of players ready to go whom I shall tag. @Grey @Skrakes @Sarky

Two others are interested and I'll be poking them to throw ideas or hats in the ring. By no means are they guaranteed to play! Unique concepts will certainly get utmost consideration. It's been a long, long time and I'd like to stretch my legs for some good roleplay!

So, if you're interested at all and maybe have a character concept, throw your hat in below! We'll see how it all comes up. Cheers!

I'm down for any new 3e game!

Currently sitting on a Dawn ascetic who finds enlightenment in the simplicity of violence.

Alternately, I'm playing a Twilight Sorcerer in another game, and I'd love to try and see how he would work in another setting.

I haven't tried a 3rd Ed game yet, so as I'm finishing reading the rules I would like to throw my hat in and join!

You know you've got me. Twilight physician hunting a cure to the plague, or Zenith philosopher-king.

*Throws a hat in the ring. Notices other people doing the same and frantically throws more hats in the ring.*

I liked your pitch a lot, and will be sensing a concept your way some time this evening probably. These things should not be rushed. Unless you want to make a decision within a few hours i which case they should and I'll throw some thing at you sooner.

No rush! No rush at all. It's a relatively slow week for us, and I'm in no rush! I want this to go very well indeed.

Hmm, well, if Eclipse is the only choice remaining I'll toss in a Highborn Metropolitan Conquistador, a state sanctioned Scavenger Lord. They ride a dragon formed of a cloud of crystal and gemstone shards won from a Raksha that transforms into a jewelled cloak when at rest and survives on a diet of precious gems and metals. It often causes diplomatic awkwardness when it eats jewellery off nearby dignitaries. They're full of vim, vigor, and bravado, religious fervor making for an excellent socially acceptable excuse for a love of adventure and a desire to find the lost and hidden. For Polity and the Good of the Civic Authority, of course.

Very Interested. How about Eclipse as a head of an organization specializing with artifact sale and acquisition? The eclipse finds a way to get a profit out of questionably acquired oft stolen goods to scavenger lords, and provides artifacts for cheap to princes and foreigners as long as they don't ask where it came from.

The eclipse has his people keep their head to the ground looking for relevant properties, while ensuring that they are out of legal and political trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christ, that's a lot of the old guard coming out of the woodworks. Makes me feel nostalgic. Anyway here's an outline of that Dawn I mentioned:

Yugo Roh was the crown prince and heir to the throne in one of the hundred kingdoms, living a life of luxury, decadence and indolence until one day it all went wrong. His wicked uncle, desiring the throne for himself, killed the king and sent assassins after Yugo. During the assassination attempt, Yugo watched as his servants fled in terror, elite guards were cut down, and his royal armor and ceremonial sword failed to provide any real protection.

In that moment, he realized how everything he had come to rely on was utterly worthless to him when he really needed it, and resolved that if he was to be killed to further the ambitions of his uncle, he would at least take his killers with him.

Savagely attacking his assailants with his bare hands, he earned the grace of Exaltation for his willingness to stand his ground when he had nothing left. Since then, he has eschewed as many physical comforts and necessities as he could, believing that the only thing he could truly rely on was his hale heart, his silver tongue and his quick mind.

Sarky said:
Oh god, I'm in so hard.
Cool with everyone if I whip up a Zenith?
I'll cede Zenith to you and go Twilight. This is a bit rough:

Radiant Shine was a humble physician in an inconsequential border village, by luck finding his education sponsored by his local Scavenger Lord. He fell out of favour in court following impassioned pleas to give more aid to the peasantry and acts of civil disobedience, and was exiled to another inconsequential border village.

When tensions between neighbouring courts gave way to war, as they do, Shine and the other villagers were ignorant of the coming conflict. The one thing the little village of Leap had to its credit was the wall, a remnant of times long past well-built enough that the location could be held by a dozen stalwart men.

Which was lucky; the militia was made up of three or four stalwart men and a handful less hardy.

When enemy forces sought to take the town - more to sate their mercenaries in their employ than for any real strategic value - that militia held the first wave with minor injuries. Shine treated them.

They brought out mightier warriors and bigger weapons for the second assault, leaving some militia grievously wounded. Shine treated them, too, as best he could.

When the siege weapons were brought to bear, limbs were lost and lives given. Shine did his best to treat them, too, and some returned to the wall with a javelin in their remaining hand and a shield strapped to the stump.

During the final assault, the three brothers who formed the core of the militia were all left on death's door, with the rest barely holding the line, faltering as the walls fell. The Unconquered Sun empowered Radiant Shine, in that moment, and he denied Oblivion its prizes, bringing the brothers back from the precipice of death.

This time, however, Shine stood with them, and the army was routed.

Ok, Zenith concept being fine tuned as I remember my Exalted lore, but basically:

Detective/law enforcement officer from Great Forks. His success and his unwillingness to bow to corruption made him powerful enemies. Some of them tried to arrange his death, which unwittingly caused him to Exalt as a Zenith, empowered by the Unconquered Sun to bring the light of His justice to all of Creation. Travelling to the Hundred Kingdoms originally to track down someone branded a criminal by most of the Scavenger Lands.

Knowledgeable in the laws of several Confederation lands, skilled at criminal investigation/interrogation and swordplay. Basically imagining a bit of Judge Dredd mixed John McClane, with a bit of Nameless from Hero, if he'd really been a local prefect and not an assassin:

[media]

[/media]

Ok just to be sure, Grey, Skrakes and Sarky have secured spots with their Twilight, Night and Zenith castes, leaving only Dawn or Eclipse as open spots, is that correct? Can I offer two different concepts? I do have some ideas for both a Dawn and an Eclipse.

[QUOTE="Lord-Leafar]Ok just to be sure, Grey, Skrakes and Sarky have secured spots with their Twilight, Night and Zenith castes, leaving only Dawn or Eclipse as open spots, is that correct? Can I offer two different concepts? I do have some ideas for both a Dawn and an Eclipse.

[/QUOTE]
If it matters, I've outlined a Dawn above, so an Eclipse could help round things out.

I've seen it, but another 2 (and possibly more to come) Eclipse concepts have been submitted, just expanding my chances of getting a spot in the game.

I'm assuming I'm too late to get in on the action. If this isn't the case, PLEASE let me know. I can play anything.

My first concept is a performer - could be Eclipse, could be Zenith, could even be Night - a musician of superb excellence who traveled in high circles. In fact, his singing voice was so beautiful that a jealous god stole it from him. All he was left with was a croaking abyss of mutilated sound. Once his voice was gone, he tumbled from his high perch, and became a homeless vagabond. His musical gifts did not totally abandon him, however - he found his voice, as it were, through the sanxian. Once again, he rose through the performing ranks, as it were, and, once again, he gained notoriety and station. Once again, the jealous god came for him. The god was determined to steal his talent once again and then kill this mortal who presumed to infringe on the god's bailiwick. The god gathered a number of her followers and made her move on the performer. It was at this moment that the Unconquered Sun chose to Exalt the performer; needless to say, the god was unsuccessful. She is ruing the day she made her move on the performer - Echo's Lament - for now he is Chosen. And Hell hath no fury like a Chosen scorned....

He uses Silver Voiced Nightingale Style, but he does it with a sanxian rather than his voice. Kind of like this.

Dammit, curse my laziness!

The concept I have in mind is a young woman who was the private secretary to an important member of the Greater Chamber of the Deliberative. Her Exaltation came when her parents set up an arranged marriage for her with an abusive, older dragonblooded. Rather than resign herself to an unhappy life, she tore into him verbally, crushing him before her and before she was done, the man had sworn to never lay a hand on her, or any other mortal ever again, an oath that is reinforced by Heaven. Of course, this also meant that the Sun itself was shining from her brow, and it was time to get the hell out of the Imperial City before word spread too far. She still has contacts among pretty much every major satrapy's political branches, a keen political mind and her previously near-magical ability to make things happy (or not happen, as she chooses) has now been taken to an entirely new level.

EDIT: Removed the picture since I also included it in the final post below.

I'll flesh the whole thing out tonight. Promise.

I'll withdraw my interest, too many entries for a single spot, and the spot will probably be filled before I post my concept, so good luck to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back