• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

[Exalted 3rd] Nexus

Cthulhu_Wakes

Black Sun in a White World
The stars are right and the Sun has risen over Nexus.

Extraordinary people of extraordinary skill have made themselves known Creation-wide in the past five years. Under the auspices of the Sun, they are feared as Anathema and respected as the incarnations of an ancient power.

The Fleshpot Between the Harlot's Legs, Nexus. One of the great signal cities of the River Province and known across the world as a den of trade, intrigue, and a trove of lost secrets from bygone Ages. Trade never ceases--secrets, people, goods, and everything in between. The laws change with the tide, but that doesn't matter to you. You're ordained by a higher power...at least, that's what the more positive of you think.

Something is wrong in the flyblown city. An awakening that began five years ago is coming to a head. Vandal Gjedde is dead and the underworld shudders. Disparate lives united by the Sun's blessing will be drawn into the true heart of Nexus.

Even with the return of the Solar Exalted, a Circle coming together in a single city is an uncommon, foreboding event. But these strangers will be drawn together to combat a conspiracy threatening Nexus and indeed the very River Province. The Hand closes its fist around the beating heart of the city.

Hello again! Looking to run a fine game of mystery and action inside Exalted's signature city. Tonally I'm hoping to strike somewhere between Scott Lynch's marvelous The Gentlemen Bastards series and the MCU's Daredevil for that on-the-ground in-the-streets feeling. Probably some Metro flavor in the Undercity. Mystery will be the name of the game, but I want it clear that I don't want a Circle of detectives from every caste!

Hopefully we'll get this one off the ground!

Pitch me punchy, hard-bitten city dwellers or bright-eyed newcomers to the city or intrepid snoops. Anything in between. It's Nexus. Goes without saying that Exalted 3rd Edition is a must!

Some folks I know to be interested: @Esbilon @Blackadder @Skrakes

Some possibles (I know you lot are busy with life and other games and such): @Grey @Vanman @Sarky @JayTee

And so it begins...

Great to see this happening :)

I'll write up my concept again tonight.

Here's my initial pitch

The Reverse Changeling

When the Fair folk steal children, they leave behind a changeling for the poor humans to raise as their own, leading to living nightmares for the community. Few, however, can tell the tale of what happens to the ones who are taken by the Fair Folk, for they rarely return. One, however, Exalted to the Eclipse Caste and now leads their siblings out of Firewander and back into Creation.

The character will be an Eclipse Caste, likely also a bit of a con artist, and drawing from Locke Lamora and the Voerman sisters of Bloodlines fame.

I pitched it to CW when he first brought it up a couple of months ago, so I figured I'd let you know before you got further :)

I can come up with something else if you want to hold onto the con-man slot, though.

Much as a cross between Netflix Daredevil and Gentlemen Bastards appeals to me (And it does. Oh sweet Jesus hook it to my veins), I'm stupidly busy right now, so I'll have to remain an extremely interested observer.

Man, I want to join but I think I have too much on my plate at the moment. Put my name down for a possible recruit at a later date. Games rise and fall like the tides, so who knows where I'll be a few months (or even weeks) from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Investigator

The younger son of wealthy Nexus patricians, this Twilight largely lives off of investments, a stipend, and the payment of some clients. Relatively recent in his Exaltation, he engages in investigation as a means of fighting boredom while he begins to understand the nature of his transformation. And he is masterfully good at it.

Yep. I'm in. More Exalted goodness can only be a good thing. Right? Right?? RIGHT?!?!?!?!?

In any event, here's my Dawn character concept.

The Doctor

The Doctor doesn't remember a time when he was a free man. He doesn't remember his parents. He doesn't remember if he has any siblings. What he does remember are the gladiator pits. The training grounds. Endless training. And pain. Enduring pain. Inexorable pain. Never-ending pain. From the Pits. Those arenas where men - and boys - went to face one another. Often times, both participants lived to fight another day. Just as often, one did not. As a young boy, The Doctor showed intelligence and so, when he wasn't training to fight, his overseer taught him the basics of field medicine. When the boy showed an aptitude, the overseer sent him for real medical training. Why pay a doctor when the boy could do the job? His duties soon became twofold - to fight, and to heal.

It was during this time, during his education, that his eyes were opened to the brutality of the trade he was forced into. Having been raised a warrior, it was all he knew. But he saw others, and he saw the toll it took on those people. People like Vilsh. Vilsh was a street urchin, one who owed a crushing debt, a crushing debt that found him sold to pay that debt. Vilsh wasn't a warrior but he had a quick wit and he made The Doctor laugh. Their friendship was forged in the sands of the gladiator pit. The Doctor taught Vilsh how to survive the pits, Vilsh taught The Doctor how to...well, become human, really. He taught The Doctor how to care. Eventually, he taught The Doctor how to be free.

All during his training, his hatred grew. He hated his pit masters, sure, but those he really hated were the ones who organized and condoned the practice of slavery. Those who bartered in human flesh - and in human misery. At night, when he was by himself, he fantasized about being strong enough to throw off the shackles that had him tied to this miserable existence. He hated the slavers for what they did to his brothers in the gladiator pit, to those women who were sold into the flesh trade, and to the vacant minded wretches who the Fair Folk toyed with before selling them to slavers. During those long, cold nights sleeping on the ground, without a blanket, teeth chattering uncontrollably, that hatred simmered to a hot, seething loathing and he swore he would one day bring them down. All of them. When he finally came to understand that there were others who kept the slavers in business - be it the Guild or House Cynis - who was responsible for his - and hundreds of others - predicament, his there was more than enough enmity to go around.

It was Vilsh who finally convinced The Doctor that freedom was a concept not beyond his ken, and it was Vilsh who made the plans to get them both free. The pair planned, schemed, plotted and conspired to achieve their emancipation. Unfortunately, whilst the two of them were certainly clever, they faced slavers who had centuries of experience maintaining and enforcing their control. So it was that The Doctor and Vilsh faced a dozen slavers, enraged at their temerity for attempting escape. It was at this time that the Unconquered Sun chose to touch The Doctor with his grace. When the sun next faced its next dawn, The Doctor was there to accept his new role.

The Doctor and Vilsh traveled through Creation, keeping one step ahead of the slavers who wanted vengeance - and, more importantly, their property. They finally made their way to Nexus, for what better place to hide than in the teeming hive of humanity that makes up the Jewel of the River Province. There is another reason Nexus was chosen - it is the headquarters of the Guild, and it is known that many a slave market thrive here. Where there are slave markets, there are slavers. The Doctor has plans. His time as a gladiator left its mark, too, for it was for his fighting skills that he was Chosen. He would prove the Unconquered Sun was not wrong in choosing him.

Is this still open?

Conflicted Teacher

Once he was Twelfth Brother of the Brotherhood of the True Sun, the cult dedicated to great sorcerous working that release True Sun from his prison and save the Creation. As youngest of the sorcerers of the cult one of his duties was education the children of the cultists and seeing which of them may potential for sorcery, which was always needed for great work. He had task surprisingly enjoyable and had quickly bonded with his students.

But the Great Work requires sacrifices. Not often, not many, but some of the children must be given to save all. But when time came for the sacrifice of some of his students he turned on cult and ruined the great work. In that moment he exalted, cultist knew as the Prophet of the False Sun.

Now he run and they hunt him, with summoned demons and mortal agents, and none hunt him more than children he saved for he has denied them glory of being part of the Great Work.

A third edition Exalted game, huh? Is this still taking players? The last one I signed up for fizzled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back