• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Everyone loves war

Characters
Here
The boy watched the ship sail up the river as the men around him set up camp. "'With these thirty men, you are to scout deep in the enemy territory of Dutton Union for two months and observe the best spots to land troops for raiding', huh. And if I'm successful, a promotion..." With a quiet voice he read from memory the order he was given two weeks ago, scratching behind his feline ears. "Hey, cap, could I get a hand over here?" The voice came from the group responsible for setting up the heavy canvas tents, to which the boy responded with a grin: "No way, I'll snap my twig arms lifting anything heavier than your girl. Isn't that right Wren?" The guys around the man who asked for help laughed, while Wren himself just bowed his head. "Listen up boys, once camp is set up we'll be mapping everything east of this river! This place has remained away from the front lines for too long!"

With smiles on their faces, the soldiers ignored the orders to go and die as they faithfully carried out scouting deep in enemy territory. Remarkably it took more than a week for trouble to find them, in the form of an enemy hero accidentally crossing paths with them.

Emmi Emmi

05ebfae29b4a7c35b99f7b388af55b44.png

364.jpg

Yato.%28Noragami%29.full.2213231.jpg

The brunette's hazel eyes were squinted, and full of concentration. "Okay... Gracy... if you win this round--" her older brother, Yuki, started, "you'll be able to have the last slice of cake..." Grace grinned to herself. "Of course I'm winning!" she shouted, cockily. She quickly rolled up her sleeve and placed her elbow on the table, looking at her opponent. Her opponent's silky blonde hair looked back at her, grinning. Her own hazel eyes gleaming with amusement. "No one ever beats me, Gracy!" she practically spat. That's Aoi, my older sister.

"Yeah, until now," Grace pointed out, sneering. Aoi met her hand, and Yuki started to count.

"Three... two... one... GO!"

I happily shoved a forkful of chocolate cake in my mouth, humming. "I hate you," Aoi grumbled to herself. "It isn't fair." Grace smiled to herself as she chewed. All's fair in love and war, baby, she replied, but because of her full mouth, all that came out was, "Aafirlwrbby". Aoi rolled her eyes, and snickered. Yuki simpered, but immediately frowned. "I want to go outside." Grace paused to swallow, looking glumly at her slice. "God! It isn't fair for Dad to lock us all up in here!" Aoi yelled. Grace nodded. Suddenly, she had a light bulb flicker in her brain. She let out a small chuckle. "I know that chuckle..." Yuki started, a devilish smile forming on his face. "You have a plan, don't you?" Grace grinned. "Maybe. I'm sick and tired of being held captive. You guys?" Yuki and Aoi exchanged looks, and started to laugh. "Of course!" She grinned. "Alright," she slowly got up from her seat, and kicked the glass window, making the window shatter into millions of pieces. "Jump!" she shouted.

Laughter pierced through the air, and running footsteps. "We did it!" Grace shouted, happily. "Y-yeah..." Yuki stuttered, eyes wide. Aoi stood silent for a long moment, and asked, "What about Dad? Won't be be worried sick?" Grace's expression darkened. "Aoi... you care for that bastard?" She spat. "Grace's right. That man was not a father to us at all," Yuki points out, staring at Aoi. She nods. "Yeah... but..." she stopped for a moment. "You know what? You're right." Aoi starts to walk off with them. Grace grinned and started to walk backwards. "See? Nothing to be worried abo--"

A scream filled the air.

No... Grace's scream.

She slipped and fell of an edge, and started to fall down the cliff. Her name was echoed in the cold air as she was falling. She quickly grabbed onto a branch tightly, gasping for air. Pleasedon'tfallpleasedon'tfallpleasedon'tfall.

The branch snapped, and Grace started to fall down. Guess this is it. I'll be soup that everyone will love and it'll be "DeLight".

Get it?

"DeLight". "Delight".

THUMP. Grace fell on something soft and... bony. She was paused for a long moment. Her eyes were shut and she was trying to brace herself for the impact. Slowly opening her eyes, she noticed she was on top of a boy with white hair and blue eyes. She sat there, quiet. "Erm... Ello."

That Lass Over There That Lass Over There

Earlier that morning
"Alright, guys, we aren't keeping up with the schedule like this..." Cyphus looked at the three maps spread in front of him, the hard work of everyone present around the table in the tent they made a mess hall. "We're doing fantastic, but this is an absurd request. If we want to map out everything we were told to, we'll need to split up into pairs... One cartographer and one warrior each. That's my thoughts, at least. Any objections to this brilliant idea?" The men who had energy after going all-out for a week shook their heads, but there was one had raised.

"Cap...tain Cozart, what about you? We have an odd number, so someone would be left out."

"Ah, don't worry about me, Wren. I count as a pair by myself." Surprisingly, no words of dissent rose to the cocky proclamation. "As per usual, Gerald, Terren, and the Li twins will stand guard here at camp. The rest of you should figure out who you're pairing with while we're still eating." Cyphus left them with that, heading towards his private tent.

"Cap'n doesn't show it, but he's got the roughest time outta all of us... Draining on those thinking types, being in the middle of enemies." The man with a badge of Lieutenant spoke up before they resumed their meal, stealthily stealing Cyphus's untouched plate. "Listen up, your sorry looks spoiled his breakfast. Don't want our captain starving, so liven up you dumbasses. Else I'll make it so you're forever smilin' like one of them creepy statues." Hearty laughs came from several of the men before they resumed their hardtack breakfast and discussed about the upcoming day of work.
___ ___ ___

After sending out eight pairs of his men in the needed directions, Cyphus shouldered his pack that held mapping supplies and lunch before heading north. Every now and again he'd stop, retrace his steps, and map what he had passed by, using the camp as a reference. Lunch passed, and he was ahead of schedule with a quarter of his map already finished when an unexpected event happened. He found the air squished out of his lungs, pressed between his heavy hiking pack and a person that had used him as a cushion.

"Erm... Ello."

"Ow..." Without replying to the girl's awkward greeting, Cyphus held his aching chest. It only really hurt for a few seconds, but he was a wimp about it. "Could you maybe try... Getting off of me, please?" Cyphus realized that she was human, but she looked to be a civilian and hadn't reacted with hatred just yet. Eliminating her wasn't safe because he heard someone call a name, too. He couldn't fully remove the venom from his voice, but he mostly succeeded. He only had a dagger, so he planned to sell himself as a hiker should the question come up. Since monsters were around in unpopulated areas, it wasn't uncommon to see armed hikers - at least, that's how it should be.

05ebfae29b4a7c35b99f7b388af55b44.png

"Ow..." Without replying to the girl's awkward greeting, Cyphus held his aching chest. "Could you maybe try... Getting off of me, please?" Grace pouted, and turned her head. "I'm not heavy..." she mumbled. "Fine." She got up from Cyphus, and noticed something strange on top of his head. She bent down, staring at them.

"Are they... cat ears?"

She poked them.

Silence.

Her face went pale and she tumbled back. "A-a.." she stuttered. She immediately covered her mouth, refraining herself from screaming out. "GRACEEEE!" She heard Yuki call out.

Time for my acting skills to shine. Cyphus dusted himself off while getting up, a frown on his face. "Not a very nice reaction, miss... I thought Dutton Union wasn't in the habit of discrimination?" As far as Cyphus knew, although Dutton Union didn't grant demi-humans citizenship they didn't have a special disdain for them either. Though, the raids he was paving the way for might... No, definitely would change that opinion. "Perhaps I should leave. I wouldn't want to bother your friends as I seem to have bothered you." He gave a light bow of his head, a distinctly demi-human custom, and walked away before the lady's friends could arrive. I don't feel like eliminating civilians... He planned on walking forwards a bit, and taking a stop. If he were followed, he wouldn't be able to return to camp or continue mapping without some luck and bullshittery, but that couldn't be helped. He clutched his chest, eye twitching as he remembered the mumbled phrase he didn't respond to for sake of not incurring animosity. And you most certainly are heavy, woman!

1521253044369.png
Cyphus dusted himself off while getting up, a frown on his face. "Not a very nice reaction, miss... I thought Dutton Union wasn't in the habit of discrimination?" Grace tilted her head. "Is that where I live?" she muttered to herself. Her face darkened. "Ha.. he didn't even tell us our location.. what a bastard.." She immediately shook her head.

"Perhaps I should leave. I wouldn't want to bother your friends as I seem to have bothered you." He gave a light bow of his head, a distinctly demi-human custom, and walked away before the lady's friends could arrive. He planned on walking forwards a bit, and taking a stop. If he were followed.

"W-wait!" Grace called out, tugged his shirt. "S-sorry..." she mumbled. Her so called "father" always warned her about demi humans, claiming that they were "bad people" and deserve to "die in the depths of hell". She remembered the stories her father used to tell her and her siblings.

"Once they see you, they'll immediately rape you!"

"They won't hesitate to rip you to shreds!"

"My grandmother once found a demi human... and she ended up getting killed."

"I don't know what you mean by 'discrimination'," she started, still a bit confused on the term. "I was just... shocked by seeing one for the first time in my life..." she paused. "Heck.. I've never seen another human besides my siblings," she said through her teeth, hoping he wouldn't hear her.

"W-wait!" Grace called out, tugging Cyphus's shirt just when he thought he was free. He gave it his all to not slap the hand away, and succeeded in his efforts. From what she had to say, including the bit under her breath that she would have needed a lot more than luck to sneak by him at this distance, it would seem like the girl had some circumstances of her own. He didn't really want to stay and talk, but leaving immediately would probably lead to a bad impression and possible report. He decided not to kill her, too... He let out a sigh, rubbing his temples to ease his annoyance. "You're fine. I'm used to worse treatment in Corrone, where I was almost enslaved." What the hell should I do, I'll get stopped again if I don't do this properly... "What are you doing out here with your siblings? I thought there wasn't a town for miles." It's outdated information by a century, though.

1521253044369-png.413446

"You're fine. I'm used to worse treatment in Corrone, where I was almost enslaved." Grace looked down. She didn't really know what to say about that. "What are you doing out here with your siblings? I thought there wasn't a town for miles."

Grace pursed her lips. "That's uh..." she nervously laughed. "For... reasons." She paused. "What about you Why are you out here?" She couldn't stop looking at his ears. "I'm a cat person by the way," she added, shyly.

Why did I say that!? That's so awkward!

"I'm descended from Sibrian Tigers. Not house cats." The pang in his pride compelled him to correct the mistake that most would have killed her on the spot for. He was mindful to say 'I'm' instead of 'my clan' to keep himself from being linked with the demi-human homeland. "I escaped from Corrone a while ago, and I'm currently looking around Dutton Union to look for a place I can stay in the future. I like the rice that comes from here, you see." Now that I think about it, this is good practice for those rumored lie detector mages... The things humans do with magic. "Would you happen to know the closest town? Maybe I could start looking there."

1521253044369-png.413446
"I'm descended from Sibrian Tigers. Not house cats." Grace cringed. "S-sorry..." she replied, sheepishly. "I escaped from Corrone a while ago, and I'm currently looking around Dutton Union to look for a place I can stay in the future. I like the rice that comes from here, you see." Grace looked up at him with a warm smile. "Really? Well, I wish you good luck."

"Would you happen to know the closest town? Maybe I could start looking there."

Grace tensed up. He would surely laugh at me if I tell him I don't know. "Well... um..." she looked down, bashfully. "I... don't really know." She frowned. "You said you escaped from Corrone.. well.. I escaped from my house just now..." she said. "After sixteen years of being imprisoned in there..." she started, "I finally broke free, along with my siblings."

"I see..." Cyphus winced at the complicated sounding story, but it didn't change his feelings much. This girl was an enemy, and the raiding parties he's making way for will probably kill her after making her a toy. "That... Really sounds complicated. I'm afraid I have my own circumstances though, so I can't help you..." He turned around to fully face her, bowing his head more deeply than he did the first time. "From one burdened person to another, I wish you luck... Now then, I'll be off." He walked away just like that with an air of finality. It's not wrong to hope civilians live.

=========

Over the next two years, raids ravaged Dutton Union, bringing chaos and death to the nation that had once been thought safe away from front lines. Dutton Union released the few New Heroes it had raised as a response, and eventually the superhuman soldiers managed to destroy every raiding party left in the country while walking through the defiled corpses and plundered ashen cities the demi-humans left in their wake. The final casualties couldn't be laughed at, though it was hard to call crippling; three cities, eleven towns, and many farming villages razed. An estimated 150,000 civilian deaths and 50,000 soldier deaths. Cries to suppress the demi-humans that walked freely in Dutton rose up, and the 220,000 demi-humans that lived in the nation either were enslaved or escaped to Cross Hail with what they could carry.

Spurned by the atrocities, Dutton contributed more of it's army than ever before and three of it's five New Heroes to the war effort. Encouraged by the support, Corrone Empire and Yerevan Theocracy intensified their war efforts as well, and now the three are carving out the southern continent for themselves, trampling the demi-humans that have been struggling to birth New Heroes. Currently the army of Dutton marches on the territory of the Blood Ape clan in the Eidelon plains, the Dutton force commanded by the inexperienced General Bartley 200,000 strong with all three New Heroes leading squads of their own. The Blood Apes are 140,000 strong including militia, but rumors speak that the Puppeteer of the Viane Plains Slaughter lurks in the commander's shadow. General Bartley has devised a strategy of splitting up the army into three to simultaneously raid the three cities that make up the territory, forcing them to choose which cities they will save with their limited manpower. He purposefully made the force attacking the capital weaker than the other two, giving the Hero and Captain inside that force orders to retreat if they met heavy resistance.

1521253044369-png.413446
hC6Uiw2Ojuw.jpg
It's been two years. And in those two years, Grace was broken. Shattered. Her spirit was crushed into a million pieces. Her innocent and sweet personality was replaced with bloodshed and emotionless expressions. They taught her to be nothing else... but a weapon. A weapon to win every war. A weapon that cares about nothing and no one. A weapon that relies only on herself and herself alone. A weapon that does not care, and only kills. After all.. she was the New Hero.

After she was caught that day, her father was extremely harsh on her. Yes, locked her in for the rest of her life, but also tortured and abused her. He also trained her in the most horrid ways possible. Ways that are tiring and harsh. She was unable to see her siblings, and was separated from them. Her ignorance turned against her, and it was simple for them to brainwash her. She hated it. She wished she could just die, and disappear from the face of the Earth.

She met many different faces during the years. She's met those who want to take advantage of her, those that are kind, and then there's Jason. Jason was someone who helped her. Helped her regain some of her shattered personality. Now, he's trying to help her regain some other pieces and bits of her personality. She also grew ignorant. So ignorant, in fact, that she doesn't realize Jason has romantic feelings towards her.

Cyphus stood before the five old demi-humans of varying clans, nineteen men behind him and one behind the old men. "We were informed by Johnson of the misconduct of you and your squad, Cyphus." Many of the men behind Cyphus growled when hearing the elders call their captain by first name only, but were silenced by the gazes of the armed guards lining the room. "That being said, you did successfully complete the mission with amazingly accurate maps..." The central elder tailed off, leaving another to speak in his place. "We will not try you or your men at a court-martial. In exchange, you will be demoted a rank, losing command of the Silver Claws 3rd Division, and you and the men you led on this mission will become the 25th SMU. Your noble rank, and the honor of your name, shall not be touched." A third elder, older than the others at the far left, opened his mouth. "Do you have any objections?"

"..." Cyphus stood stiff and silent in front of the elders.

"Have you any objections, Viscount Cozart?"

Cyphus bowed his head a little too deeply before speaking. "... None, Sir. Is there anything else the council would have of us?" Or are our lives and futures not enough for you?

"Actually, there is." The elder at the far right spoke up before any of the others could. "The Reece Empire is making a push, launching small forces into our territory in the north, razing fields and villages where they can. Hunt them down."

Cyphus put his fist to his chest, and the nineteen men behind him slowly followed suit. "It will be as the council asks." He and the 25th turned around and left the room after that, staying silent for a while as they left the military controlled building. "Special Magic Unit... We're special forces now, cap'n."

"Yeah. They really want us to work our asses off and die quickly."

=====

Cyphus hadn't changed a single bit in those two years save a lone scar, a tiny scratch across his left cheek. Seven of the original twenty (including Cyphus himself) that made up the now legendary 25th remained, and they once again stood in front of a council with stiff expressions. "Your assignment this time is to aid in defense on the Eidelon plains. You'll be acting separately from all other units, make decisions as you see fit." The center elder gazed at Cyphus hard, waiting. After a few moments, Cyphus seemed surprised. "Sir... We won't be operating with the Blood Ape's army?" The elder nodded. "Isn't that a bit..."

"You have a solid record of disrupting any chain of command you operate inside, Cozart. You'll be kept separate."

"I see... Yes, sir. It will be as the council asks."

=====

A portly man who looked like he had never held a sword, General Bartley of the Dutton army, waved over a messenger. "It's time to send out the forces. Make sure the heroes know which force they are to be a part of; Delight with the first force of 80,000 to the eastern city, Trecker with the second force of 80,000 to the western city, and Miller with the force of 60,000 heading to the capital. Remind everyone they aren't to start the sieges until nightfall."

"Yes, sir!"

1521253044369-png.413446
hC6Uiw2Ojuw.jpg
Grace was calmly in a bare room, trying to hit her targets with arrows. The door suddenly opened, revealing a tall man with brown hair and green eyes. He calmly walked over to her, and tapped her shoulder. She swiftly turned around. "Yes?" she asked. He took a deep breath. "The enemy. They're... coming together." Grace pursed her lips. "I see... so, it's time?" she asked. The messenger nodded. "Yes. It is."

Grace nodded. "Alright then." She got up, and the messenger took her to their leader, James Anderson. He had blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. "Ah, hello, Miss DeLight." Grace glanced up at him. "Mr. James Anderson," she said, calmly. He smiled and motioned for her to get on a black horse. The horse's mane sparked in the sun, and it's body hair glistened.

Grace mounted on her horse, and James mounted his horse. They then started to ride off, in the direction of their enemy.

(FUCKING WRITER'S BLOCK WAHHHHH)

Five kilometers away from the army of 80,000, Cyphus and his six men lay prone in the tall grass of the plains. "Wren, you got eyes on the target?"

"Dutton field commanders are the ones with three gold bars on their left shoulder?" Wren was holding a spyglass with etchings all over it's surface, looking at the army that was passing by.

"Yup, you got him." Cyphus unrolled a huge scroll on the ground, and everyone except Wren gathered around it and laid a hand on the extremely complex circle painted onto it. "Remember Wren, you don't need to give lead to the shot, the attack is instantaneous. Just aim for his head and it'll be over."

Wren turned the scope, and it glowed a little bit as his mana poured into it. "Cap’n, he’s got a girl next to him... I think she's a New Hero. You think we can fight one of those monsters again...?" He looked back at Cyphus with concern.

"We won't fight her. We'll be out of here before they can pinpoint where the attack came from, much less respond. Even with the crazy senses of a New Hero, she shouldn't be able to intuitively sense and react to a surprise attack that isn't aimed at her, much less an instantaneous attack." This attack worked on the other one, after all. Blue dyed the large paper starting from Cyphus' hand, and the other five surrounding the paper started flooding the complex magic circle with mana too. "Let us know when, Wren."

Wren nodded at the six before looking back through the spy glass and setting the sights on the field commander once more. "3... 2... 1... Fire!" An invisible line stretched from the space in front of the spy glass Wren held all the way through the field commander's skull, disappearing just as quickly as it had appeared to leave a hole in it's wake. "Kill confirmed." The spy glass turned to dust, and the paper burned instantly without any smoke.

"Alright guys, it's time to leave!" Cyphus adjusted his engraved gauntlets as he got up to a crouch, leading the way down the hill and back into the forest that wasn't too far away. "Sure makes it easier on us that the town was emptied... We don't have to have nightmares about the children we're leaving to die by not trying to face an army." The others, including Cyphus, nodded to Terren's whispered words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back