• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Even Dragons Have Their Ending ||Closed||

OOC
Here
Agni did not take very kindly to Kaida's comment, one eyebrow rising as he turned his eyes upon her fully.

"Do you imply that I am unrighteous?" He asked, a threat clear in his voice. May quickly jumped up and grabbed him by the bicep, because an insulted Agni was an unpredictable Agni.

"Nobody said that," he said quickly, putting on his placating voice now that no children were in danger and he wasn't completely angry. "We're, uh, very grateful that you're offering your aid in this effort even though these people aren't your followers." He was clearly making it up as he went along, his voice sickly sweet, but Agni at least seemed pleased with the praise and no longer looked like he might attack somebody.

"Of course. I would see the children home safe, even though I have no obligation to them," he said, and May breathed a sigh of relief. He glanced back at Alex and raised his eyebrows, then snorted.

"I only have fancy tea, no booze," he said dryly. He had kind of suspected that the man would refuse his offer of healing, though he did still want to help. He had always had trouble seeing others in pain.

Still, it seemed that they were starting to get some sort of plan together, but there was still a major problem that the others hadn't really seemed to pick up on yet.

"Ok, so I am all for saving the kids, it's something that needs to happen and I will 100% help with that, but we have one little problem. How are we getting to the mountains? We don't have dragons. Or, I mean, there are dragons here, I think," he paused to glance at Vlad and Bram; he had seen a dragon show up during the battle, had sensed a connection there, but she was gone now. There was also another rider here, but his dragon made May uncomfortable, and he didn't seem to be very involved in the main conversation anyways, so who knew if he was even interested in their quest to begin with. "But not enough to ferry this many people. It'd take days to get that far on foot, and we only have five of them. I don't mind hiking and camping and stuff, but a group this large might draw the attention of bandits in the mountain range, wouldn't it?"

Aksil gave a soft nod when Mariah complemented his invisibility power. "It does prove to be quite useful, indeed. I am already well acquainted with the art of stealth, but the ability to hide myself from view - minus the flash, of course - can only serve as a boon. It's a frightening thing, you know, to not be aware that an assassin is hiding in plain sight, ready to give one good slice to your neck and silence you like a candle's flame being put out. A life gone... in a flash." Just before Aksil said the phrase 'in a flash', he snapped his fingers.

Aksil turned away from Mariah and took more than a few steps away from her. Upon looking over his shoulder, he said, "The tavern... right. I shall head there, then." He strode over to Azura and gave her a few pats on the neck, his way of telling her to come along. "I can only assume the others will be working together to put an end to this nonsense as I would like to, as well. If you are to accompany this probable group as well, then we shall not be separated for too long. Until next time." He took care to re-fasten his eyepatch before pressing on.

Both Aksil and Azura headed in the direction of the tavern, the dragon's footfalls noticeably louder than Aksil's. Of the numerous individuals Aksil noticed bundled together in this one spot, it was the mage who drew his attention the most. He was in the small group that also contained the minotaur and gnome, but he was unsure what had happened to those two after the rider attack that shook the whole village. Of that group, only the mage was left, and so Aksil decided to speak with him first.

Once Azura had found herself a new place to sit a safe distance away from the group, Aksil spoke up. "Pardon me... did I see you riding a saddle-free dragon earlier, in an endeavor to help rescue the children? That must have been challenging. I should know, considering..." He pointed in Azura's direction with his thumb. "But, don't be alarmed, I'm not with those louts from before. I couldn't care less about them. The... older ones, that is." Aksil was certain that May didn't know about the young man that he had killed and how he was anything but proud of that.

“Sasha, you really don’t ‘ave to. I ‘ppreciate what you’re sayin’, but you’re not as young as yah used to be, y’know. I’m sorry, but it’s true.”

Sasha smiled at his friend, though it was a sad smile riddled with despair and loss. He set a hand on Arthur’s shoulder.

“I appreciate your concern,” he sighed. “But I must go. I cannot sit by and watch as Melkiell defames the Dragon Rider name. I have friends among them, friends who would never allow this to pass. I can only imagine what has happened to them all.” His eyes dropped. “And I will not be able to rest until I know Beth is home.”

“Then, let me come with you. I am her father, I—”

Sasha shook his head. “You have two daughters here who need you. A town that needs you. Trust me, I will bring your daughter home to you. Or I will not return at all.” He held Arthur’s gaze for a moment, the younger father of three torn between his responsibilities, but Sasha was right. He could not abandon his two daughters in this crisis. And there was no telling how the Riders might react to what had happened here. They could return in force, take off with the rest of the children. Or worse. And despite being younger and whole, he knew Sasha was far more capable of keeping his word. He would bring Beth home to them. Or he would die trying.

The Innkeeper nodded. “Thank you, Sasha. I do not know how I will ever repay you.”

Sasha’s expression was stern, and he dipped his head in gratitude. “There will be no need for that. Young Beth is as much my family as she is yours.”

When Bram called over to him, Sasha turned back to the small group that had gathered. All strangers, all finding themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or the right place, and the right time. Either way, they had been brought together, and Sasha knew this was not a feat he could accomplish on his own. No matter how stubborn.

The ex-Rider nodded, before making his way back to his fellow outsiders. Arthur followed at his friend’s side.

“The name is Sasha,” he introduced himself, holding a hand to Bram. “I will never turn down the help of a stranger when times are this desperate.”

~

“Bummer.” Alex sighed. He supposed he would have to get his booze elsewhere, then. His own flask was empty, had been for a while now.

Alex looked up at Vlad, who had sauntered over with the look of someone with something on his mind. He was quick to speak it.

“First of all, I’m pretty sure how I choose to live my life is none of your business,” Alex retorted, looking up at the vampire with the cockiness of one much taller and stronger. “And second, alcohol intake is completely relative. What you might consider ‘unholy’ could be totally normal to him.” He jabbed a thumb in May’s direction.

He would have stood were his legs able to, but instead resorted to holding his end from his apple crate. Who was this guy to come over and judge him like this? The least he could do was introduce himself before riding his ass. Then maybe they could attempt a civil argument as colleagues, instead of strangers yelling at each other on the street. The lack of respect between passing strangers these days was abhorrent. He blamed the growing independence of today’s youth.

~

Mariah nodded, for she understood the implications of such a skill. And he had basically admitted to being an assassin, so she thought it best to agree with him. For her health. Still, she left the awe upon her face, mixed with a small amount of confusion. The look of someone who had never heard murder spoken of in such a cavalier manner.

“Oh, yes. I mean...” she had already decided she was going to follow wherever this group went. She had been sent out to gather information and refused to return home empty-handed. But the woman she was playing had not considered the consequences of taking on such a quest and so she held back, watching as Aksil went over to join the group of strangers. He seemed so confident they would all just pack up and make for the Mountain. Optimistic. Mariah was not used to optimism.

Feeling she had hung back long enough, the young woman made herself busy attempting to clean up some of the town, joining a group of women in picking out what foods and stuffs were salvageable from where the market had been earlier that day. They were close enough so that she was within earshot, and she eased herself into their group.

She stayed off to the side until she found her ‘in’.

“Excuse me, I’m sorry, I don’t mean to interrupt.” She folded her hands together in front of her, gaze shifting from one individual to the next, attempting to gauge their intentions. “But, what about him?”

Mariah nodded over to the Rider not far from the group, the one who had flown the dragon Agni had dealt with. He was still shook from his loss, mind wheeling in its emptiness, the eternal silence a worst sentence than death. He looked small now, hardly any part of himself left, seated upon the dirt with his arms limp at his sides as his eyes stared into nothing. He might not be of much use, but he had to have information.

Last edited:
Teddy gave herself a moment to flounder, to hide her face in her hands and struggle with the whys and the hows and the guilt. Then she took a deep breath and visibly pulled herself together, squaring her shoulders and lifting her head.

Around her, life went on. Voices spoke quickly, firmly, gathering together and planning for the future, not losing themselves in the horror of what had already occurred. Already, a group was forming, gathering strength and discussing the logistics of a rescue attempt.

This time, when she tried to stand, her legs held her, though she still felt a little weak in the knees. She ignored it, taking in the goings-ons around her—and then her gaze found Alex, sitting on an apple crate, with the particular cocky look on his face that told her he was giving Vlad (or was it Vladimir? She thought she remembered him correcting Bram) a hard time.

For a moment she just watched, her usually expressive face strangely still; then she turned.

“I'll be right back,” she murmured to Ellery, and then she disappeared back into the inn.

There was no one else in the tavern room, and it made her feel odd and small to be alone in the large room. She didn't linger long, making her way back to the kitchen and finding a wooden bowl and spoon. The stew was still hot; she ladled the bowl full of it and fetched a glass of water. She left a few coins by the stack of bowls, hoping that it would be enough to cover the food, and then she carried the bowl and glass back outside, making her way carefully over to Alex.

“No more booze,” she said, trying to sound normal; she didn't quite manage it, but she tried. She thrust the bowl into his hands and, predicting complaints, fixed him with her 'I'm going to bug you about this until you do the healthy thing I am telling you to do' look as she told him, “Eat that.”

“And don't be rude,” she added as she climbed up onto the apple crate with him, perching on the edge and pressing her shoulder against his, the contact comforting. She had little hope that Alex would actually follow that order, but it was worth a try, at least.

She wasn't over what had happened; not by a long shot. But she couldn't just sit and wallow in it, not while everyone else was pitching together to try to fix what had happened.

~

Kaida raised her eyebrows in turn, but otherwise did not respond to the threat in Agni's voice. She had merely said the truth of what she thought; each person's priorities were theirs to decide, and what they decided spoke volumes about themselves, their values, and what could be expected of them. She had meant no insult in saying so.

She would have said as much, but May had already intervened, honeying his words and coaxing his companion away from his anger, so she did not interrupt. It seemed that Agni was quick to take offense; she would bear that in mind, if they were to be traveling together.

The 'followers' comment made her curious—so Agni was a leader of some sort, then? Or else someone revered, to have followers?—but now was not the time to inquire as to such things. The problem that May pointed out was far more important, and she glanced around, tallying those who had expressed an intent to follow the Riders.

“I have a horse,” she offered. “She cannot claim the speed of dragons, perhaps, but she is swift enough. She could carry myself and one other, if necessary.”

Zephyr did not care to bear others upon her back, but if it came down to it, she would understand the need.

“If we must proceed on ground, we may be able to procure other horses, as well. As for the bandits...” It would be best to avoid a confrontation entirely; fighting would take precious time. But should it be unavoidable... “We may yet be able to pass unseen. Perhaps we could split into smaller groups, and so go undetected. But should that prove impossible, there is safety in numbers; and it would seem that many here have experience in battle.”

It was not a perfect solution, but they did not have the time to spare going around the bandits' territory. With little time, and fewer options, they would have to take some risks if they were reach the dragonriders' mountain in time.

And then, a new voice.

She turned, searching out the one who had spoken, and—she stopped, brows furrowing just slightly, just for a moment, before her expression smoothed over again.

There was something not quite right about the young woman. Kaida sensed—something, some dissonance, but she could put no name to the feeling. But though there was no explanation for it, it was there all the same, setting her ill at ease.

Her gaze lingered on Mariah for a few long moments after she had nodded towards the Rider, searching the young woman's face. If she found anything, it did not show in her expression; but at last she looked away, to the lone Rider left.

“Ah,” she said, soft. No doubt the man would know something of use, if he could be convinced to share it, but... “I do not know if he is...in any state to be answering questions.”

Last edited:
“Bram,” Bram said, taking Sasha’s hand and giving it a good shake. The other man looked a bit up in years, now that Bram saw him up close, but he never underestimated the fire in people’s eyes. It would be good to have him along. “Pleasure to have you on board. The irate dark one over there is Vlad. He’ll be joining us, too.”

Bram glanced over at May and then nodded. “Yeah, Vlad has a dragon, but she isn’t very big. She can carry us two and maybe one more, if need be.”

Vlad gave Alex and long, deep frown—one developed with practice and used when Bram was being particularly pigheaded—which was often. He was silent as the young shapeshifter passed Alex a bowl. What the witch had done to earn the girl’s affection, Vlad had no idea. Once she was done with her attempt at bossing him around, Vlad stared good and hard at Alex.

“How you live your life is your prerogative until it interferes with the lives of others, witchling,” Vlad said, pronouncing the last word in a condescending staccato. “You are the cause of this darkness. You are the reason these families are smaller. Get off your ass and fix this mess you have caused.”

Vlad could not believe he had just said “ass”. Goodness, Bram was rubbing off on him.

“Alcohol is unholy in any amount,” Vlad conceded. “And it certainly never solved any problems.”

“Vlad!” Bram called as if they were across the square and not close by. Vlad was making that face that said he had a mission, and speaking at a normal voice might not get his attention. “Were’s your dragon? We’re figuring out how to get to the mountains.”

Vlad whistled, long and low. A dark shape slipped from the clouds and made a quick descent to the town. She landed some feet away from the gathering group, well away from the wary villagers. She was a deep blue, nearly back, and had deep sapphire eyes. True to what Bram had said, she was smaller and lither than the dragon’s who had carried the children away. She shook her feathery mane in greeting before mentally attacking Vlad with questions.

While Vlad answered them, Bram turned back to May.

“I’d like to see those bandits try,” he said.

May was not expecting Aksil to approach him, and he tilted his head to the side at his odd remark. Had he misseen? Sure, he and Kaida were both blond, but...

"Oh, no, I'm not a dragon rider, I'm just--" He began, but Agni was absolutely fuming behind him over the innocuous statement.

"You! As if I would ever allow him to /ride/ me! How dare you even suggest such a thing, like I am a beast of burden on the level of your mounts!" He began, and May couldn't help the long-suffering sigh as he hung his head for a moment before taking a deep breath and placing a reassuring hand on Agni's shoulder.

"Yes, yes, you're right, nobody would ever think that of you, little guardian," he said placatingly, going as far as to use Agni's formal title in the hopes that it would pacify him. It
seemed to work, if only a little, because instead of murderous Agni only looked gravely insulted and fuming. "We know that you only allowed somebody onto your back because it was an emergency, and we saved all those kids because of it, so everything turned out alright, in the end!"

Agni crossed his arms and glared at the young mage, but now he seemed to be back into his mood of merely sulking over his hurt pride than genuinely angry.

"Of course. Such a situation will not happen again; I will not /carry/ anyone else on this journey," he said firmly, giving Aksil a look as though he were a particularly annoying insect before turning back to the rest of the group. "I will allow the use of horses. Surely you have enough money leftover to procure some," he said pointedly to May, and the little mage quickly nodded his head.

"Yeah! Yeah, I, uh, I'm pretty sure I have enough, if there's a stable around here, or something like that," he said, turning his eyes on Sasha. "You're a local, right? Is there anywhere we could buy horses? Because so far we only have one dragon capable of carrying people and, uh..." He paused as he glanced at Alex. Vlad had certainly given him a tongue lashing, but he wasn't actually certain if the man would be joining them or not. He did look a bit sickly, but he had refused May's help, so he resisted the urge to try and reach out with his magic. Trying to assist those who didn't want it rarely worked out well. "Well, more people than that."

He wasn't sure if the new rider was actually accompanying them or not, so he decided to only count Vlad's dragon, who was spectacular enough. May couldn't help but gasp as he looked at her, his eyes brightening. They didn't get many dragons back home, outside of Agni and his grandfather, so seeing those of a different breed (outside of battle) was always exciting. Agni snorted.

"You are too easily impressed, serpent," he said sorely, and May shot him an irritated look before he seemed to realize something and quickly clapped his hands together.

"Oh! Right, I'm May, by the way. This is, uh..." He glanced back at Agni for a moment and chewed on his lower lip before deciding that their cover was blown anyways, and it would be better to appease Agni with praise and formality than anger him by giving his name. "This is the Little Guardian of the Twelfth Month. We came to investigate the dragon riders from the Domina sect in the south."

Giving the name of the sect was always a risk, since many considered them to be more akin to a cult than anything. Still, honesty was the best policy, at least in this case, and Agni seemed pleased by the respect.

Aksil covered his mouth as he was learned who he was speaking with. His cheeks were absolutely flushed in embarrassment. "You're... a Guardian? That certainly explains why your dragon form looked so special, and... I could certainly sense an otherworldly aura about you, when you were in the inn. I apologize for angering you, spirit. I... well... I am admittedly not well versed in every one of the world's religions." He flourished in May's direction. "If that is the case, I do understand the circumstances. You were certainly faster than my Azura. I will say that much, Twelfth Month Guardian."

Upon hearing the concept of their quest, Aksil raised a finger. "I have a dragon of my own. She could always carry an additional person or two if need be, She's used to carrying rescued damsels and stolen treasure that the both of us seek to return, so it shouldn't be a problem... if that will be alright. I have my own plans to pursue the riders, and as such, I find accompanying you to only be helpful. If they're going so far as to kidnap people, that cannot be ignored."

Azura shook her head as she realized that Aksil did not introduce himself.

"Oh, there I go, going off on a tangent. Again, my apologies. I am Aksil, Dark Dragon Rider. And this..." He pointed toward his dragon. "...is Azura, as I had just mentioned. Word of warning if you decide to ride along with me, though - she's a speedy one. Be sure to not have a full meal before you consent, to be on the safe side." Aksil shot a coy, sideways grin.

One thing that Aksil did find questionable was the Guardian's use of the word "serpent" to apparently refer to May. He wanted to ask about that particular word choice, but considering he had apparently offended him just then, he opted to wait until he cooled off a bit more. So, he diverted the conversation toward his own talents. "You appear to be quite a good mage, May. That is a good skill to have. I myself am blessed in the way of stealth. Huge swords and hulking muscles are good for dealing with enemies quickly, but often times, it is an even better idea to dispatch enemies carefully, and without them even knowing there's someone attacking them. The looks on the captains' and alphas' faces are always priceless, when they see the rivers emerging from their underlings' necks." Aksil proceeded to give a quiet, yet creepy chuckle.

Mariah glanced over at the elf, catching her eyes for a moment before looking back at the Rider. The elf made her uncomfortable—if anyone was going to spy her intent, it would be her. Mariah would have to tread lightly if they were all going to be traveling together.

She watched the now ex-Rider. His eyes were absent, and he stared off at nothing with a heart that was too broken to cry. She did not pity him, nor felt any sort of sympathetic emotion towards him. But, she was intrigued. To have a bond with another creature so intense that the split was crippling. She wondered what that might be like, and what it was that made their connection life-altering. Mariah went over to the man, crouching in front of him, peering into his eyes. They did not blink, nor turn away. She stared for a while, before determining the she-elf was probably right—he would not be of much use in his current state. But, there had to be some way to learn what he knew...

~

Ellery watched Teddy run off, pausing for a moment before standing. She turned her eyes on the gathering group, who all seemed bent on traveling to the Mountain and taking the children back. She admired such optimism and certainty. None questioned the dangers or risks of taking on such a task, despite none of them being in any way responsible for what had happened. She glanced over at her witch, who had that look on his face that made her sigh, knowing he was fixing to give someone his own personal brand of sass. He was always such a handful, which was they they generally avoided meeting new people.

The Familiar decided her witch could handle himself. The direct danger was gone and she liked the idea of someone else smacking him around for a change. She instead turned her attention on the others, who were now contemplating transportation. She considered offering teleporting them there, but she would only be able to take them part way, the Mountain itself being beyond her sight. And once they got to the Mountain, they would still need a way up. Besides, she doubted all of them would make the trip. Purgatory was not for the faint of heart, and she found some races, no matter how strong their heart, were highly susceptible to the assault. She decided against mentioning it, and instead wondered what it would be like to fly atop a dragon. One that was not carrying a load of children she was trying to save.

“I could find us horses,” Sasha confirmed, knowing a few people in town who would most likely part with their beasts for no charge at all, given the stakes. A horse for a child was no question.

“We will need a horse as well,” Ellery advised. “We will join you on this journey.” She motioned back to Alex and Teddy, the former looking like he was not prepared to join anyone anywhere. He did not speak for them, however. She would knock him unconscious and drag him there if she had to.

~

Alex frowned down at the bowl, momentarily distracted from his tantalizing argument with his new vampire friend. He opened his mouth to remark on the soup being the opposite of what he needed right now, but Teddy interrupted before he could even start. He stared at the soup for a moment, and then sniffed at it. His nose wrinkled at the smell, though in the Innkeeper’s defense, that was his reaction to all food. He had never had much of an appetite and most of what he ate these days did not stay down for long. He wanted to argue, but instead attempted to take a small sip off the spoon. It was not completely horrible, but he would only oblige Teddy so long as she was looking. The moment she turned away, the soup would find a new home in the dirt.

Alex was not a stranger to being spoken down to. First his mom, then his sisters, then society. He was never one to his his true nature and most people treated him thus. He never took any of it to heart, knowing he could snap all their necks with a mere thought (and a demon) should he feel so obliged. Except for his mother. And probably his sisters. Maybe. He had never had the chance to try.

“Or what?” He fixed Vlad with a pointed look, not heeding Teddy’s advice. The vampire looked like he could give him a run for his money, but instead of turning him away, Alex found the opportunity worth his time.

Teddy's hands tightened around the glass of water she was holding, and unconsciously she started worrying at her lower lip with her teeth as she watched Alex poke at the soup, distaste clear on his face. Food hadn't been agreeing with him much, lately, but—but he still needed to eat. He needed to get something in him, especially after a possession. He couldn't sustain himself on alcohol and stubbornness forever.

Her expression lightened when he took a sip of the broth, however reluctantly; and she watched him for a few more moments, making sure that he got a couple of spoonfuls down, before she was satisfied that he was eating. Then she let her attention be drawn by Vlad's pointed words, turning her face away from her friend, and in so doing she sealed the poor soup's fate.

Vlad gave a good lecture, she thought. And his disapproving frown was on par with Ellery's, which, to her mind, was an impressive feat.

He and Ellery would probably get along well, come to think of it. And wouldn't that be something to see?

Her appreciation of the vampire's technique came to an abrupt halt when Alex met his demands with a clear challenge, though, and she shifted uneasily, giving Alex a worried look. He was in no condition to be provoking anyone, though he clearly seemed to feel differently. And if things progressed to a fight, she would step in—but she would much prefer if it never came to that, in the first place.

“Alex,” she murmured, low; but he didn't seem to be in much of a mood to listen to her, so she cast her gaze around the clearing, searching for Ellery. She could stop him, if it was needed.

But she was distracted by the dragon that dropped out of the clouds and landed nearby. During the battle earlier, there had been no time or cause to admire the dragons filling the town; but that was not the case now. This dragon was beautiful, and Teddy's eyes went wide and bright as she looked at her, fascinated.

Thus captivated, she paid little attention to the introductions going on—or indeed to much else, until Ellery's voice broke through her reverie. Then she blinked and looked away from Starless and found the third member of her little family, just in time to catch the tail end of what Ellery was saying and see the motion back towards herself and Alex.

They were going with?

Teddy considered that for a second and decided that she was amenable to this turn of events. She doubted that Alex would feel the same, though.

~

Kaida's gaze lingered on the lost Rider. The man had been their enemy, but still her eyes were sad as Mariah tried and failed to draw a reaction from him. But there was nothing to be done for him, now; and perhaps this was his mind's way of protecting him, to retreat deep inside until the pain of his loss was less keen.

At last she looked away, turning back to the gathering group. Introductions were being made, now, and she was largely pleased by what she saw of those joining them.

Largely.

The Rider of the dark dragon, Aksil—him, she was not sure of. There was almost glee in his voice as he spoke of lifeblood flowing from his victims' necks, and while killing was at times necessary, experience had taught her not to trust those who took joy in the act. And the witch, the demon-summoner, he was...concerning, for obvious reasons.

Thankfully, those two seemed to be the exception to the rule. Even May's admission of the sect that he and the Little Guardian of the Twelfth Month (and that title explained much) had come from did not unduly disturb her. She had heard of the Domina sect before, many years ago. They were a secretive people; but then, so were hers, of late. She would not condemn them for that.

“I am Kaida,” she said, with a polite incline of her head. “I am pleased to make your acquaintances—though I wish it could have been under better circumstances.”

A quick glance around the group turned up little in the way of bags; though perhaps they, like her, had simply left their supplies elsewhere. Still, best not to leave such things to chance.

“Is everyone well supplied for such a journey?”

Bram looked back and forth between May and Agni as the former placated the latter with what Bram considered bowing and scraping. It was ridiculous—sure, the slightly taller one could turn into a dragon or was a dragon or whatever. But that didn’t mean he was god’s gift to where ever the shorter one came from.

When May introduced them, Bram instantly shook his head. “Too long! Not yours, shorty, you’re fine. But there is no way in hell I’m going to be able to remember the Twelfth Night Guardian of the Little Whatever. I’m going to call you “Twelfie” if you don’t give me something shorter.”

Bram glanced over at Ellery and nodded. “The one Vlad is tellin’ off is yours? Sorry, I would call him off, but it’s best to just let him do his thing. He’ll be making snarky comments the entire time if I stop him now.”

Starless noticed May staring at her in awe and took that as an invitation to join the group. She sauntered over and bumped Bram affectionately with her head. Bram staggered forward, nearly falling over. He turned and shoved at her snout, but she just shook her mane at him. He was, after all, the best friend of her Rider.

“Stop that. We’re not friends,” Bram insisted, despite the fact that he heard her retort in his mind as readily as Vlad could.

Starless snorted smoke before nudging Bram again, reminding him of his manners.

“Oh, sorry. This is May, Twelfie, Sasha, Kaida, umm… and the rest. Guys, this is Starless Night Sky. She’s Vlad’s dragon.”

The dragon snorted.

“Sorry, sorry, Vlad is her Rider. We call her Starless, though, because it’s too long,” Bram added, giving Agni a pointed look.

Starless shook her mane.

“Fine, I call her Starless because it’s too long. Vlad calls her her full name in his native tongue.”

Starless turned her attention to May, asking Bram if he was a hatchling of his species.

“Yeah,” Bram said, because he was terrible at guessing ages. To Kaida he said, “We’re good to go. Right, Starless?”

The dragon snorted and made a snarky comment about his eating habits.

Bram nodded. “Yeah, we’re good.”

Vlad was honestly surprised that the witch had not sworn he was not the cause of this mess or made some sort of defense. He did not even curse at him and attempt to get him to leave, and—yay verily—he did not even just wave him off. No, the witch just issued a challenge.

This did not mean that Vlad was not prepared for a challenge, of course. He had not met many dark witches, but he had read about them. He knew about their magic and arts. Besides, Vlad was pretty confident in his ability to cheat death.

The vampire continued to use the fact that he was standing and the witch was sitting to his advantage. Alex might be taller when they were both standing, but Vlad could tell he outweighed the witch. And so, arms akimbo, he eyed him like he would Bram.

He suddenly straightened and then relaxed his stance.

“Well,” he began breezily. “I hear witches do not burn easily, but I doubt burning you at the stake would rectify your wrongs. No, I was thinking along the lines of sacrificing you to that darkness. It is after something.” Vlad treated Alex to a devilishly smug smile—one that showed a little too much tooth for polite vampire society. “I might try giving it you and seeing if it calms down.” He shrugged. “If not, I am no worse off. One less pathway for Mephistopheles to enter this realm.”

May forced an awkward half-smile at Aksil's frankly creepy behaviour, taking a few steps back as he nodded along with him.

"Uh, right. A-anyways, I think the majority of us are going to take horses, and those with dragons can... maybe scout ahead, if that works? Bandits aside, I don't doubt that there's going to be guards or scouts on their side when we get closer." He figured that was the easiest way to put some distance between himself and the man who was far too eager to be cutting necks. Agni, however, didn't particularly seemed bothered, and instead practically preened at being praised on his speed. Finally, somebody addressing him with respect.

That quickly shattered at Bram's bluntness, and May quickly grabbed Agni by the shoulders to keep him from marching up to the man and doing who knew what. Maybe trying to punch him.

"You! How dare you speak so rudely?! My title is not something for you to mangle as you see fit, outsider!" He snapped, and May squeaked as the taller man tried to throw off his hands.

"Agni is fine! You can call him Agni!" He exclaimed quickly, while Agni turned his eyes back to May as though he had been betrayed.

"You would give my name to such a brute?!" He asked in shock, and May shrugged his shoulders, looking only half apologetic.

"He said he needed something shorter, and at least it's not, uh, as great a disrespect to your honor, right?" he tried, and Agni glared at him, still looking quite ruffled for a good minute before snorting through his nose and turning away.

"Fine. I will allow it, in this case."

Crisis averted, May looked back to Starless and nodded his head at Bram's explanation. He still thought that the dragon was super cool, and it was nice to meet one who was a little less prickish than his own traveling partner.

"Nice to meet you, Starless Night Sky," he said, and he offered a hand for a second before remembering that a dragon could not actually shake his hand, and he retracted it feeling rather silly. His face was a slight shade of pink when Kaida asked if they were all prepared, and he nodded his head. "We just need to pack up our campsite, but that shouldn't take too long. It's not too far outside of town."

He turned to Sasha and dug around in one of his waist pouches, pulling out a few gold coins. They were older in make, not exactly the common courtesy of the land, but they were gold, and it had gotten them along so far.

"Here, is this enough? I'd feel bad if we didn't actually pay for them." He hoped it was enough; he still wanted to have some left over to buy food and other supplies when they eventually left the village.

Aksil gauged the reactions to his statement and stepped back when May did. "Oh... was that a bit too honest? I must admit, I'm not used to conversing with non-dragons. I only ever speak with Azura. Despite looking rather scary, she surprisingly doesn't have the temperament of a demon. That is, unless you anger her, at which point her lethal breath will melt the skin clean off your bones - and... again, I am too honest. So, perhaps I... should... stop... talking about that." Aksil began drumming his pointer fingers together as Azura considered facepalming, if dragons were even capable of doing such a thing.

Fortunately, Starless's arrival provided just the right topic divergence. "Starless Night Sky, is it? Well, then. It might be good to have more dragons fighting for our cause." When Starless began playing affectionately with Bram, Aksil couldn't help but smirk. "Say what you like, she seems content to me. Isn't that often the most you can ask for? To a rider, a dragon should be their best friend... I think."

To Kaida's question, Aksil answered, "I should be fine, and Azura... well, she'll find no shortage of food on our journey, that much I am certain of. She's surprisingly open to eating just about anything. Oh, but I don't mean any of you. Please do not get the wrong idea." He frantically waved his hands in front of him.

Azura was really considering slapping her snout. She knew Aksil tended to have difficulties with social interaction, but now he was acting like a complete ditz.

To her satisfaction, though, Aksil bucked up and regained a more serious composure. "I can tell by your reactions that I don't seem like the most trustworthy person. It doesn't surprise me. I suppose it is only natural for humans, or any animal, for that matter, to be wary of darkness and those that wield it, especially with what just happened."

Azura strode up to Aksil and rubbed her snout against his head as a way of comforting him. It was quite an unusual sight, for a creature such as her to be acting in such a way, but nevertheless, it was still happening.

Aksil returned the sentiment before facing the group once more. "See? She's quite the sweetheart." After gently pushing Azura away, Aksil stepped forward, his eye narrowing. "It's like this, alright? The Dark Dragon Riders - though I suppose you could omit the 'Dragons" part - are a separate sect from what society tends to clump together as the "typical" Dragon Riders. Despite being a unit, each Rider works individually. Stealth works best when you are alone, you see. Our dark beasts flit through the skies like shadows, unseen and unheard, to sneak up on our enemies. My taste for violence, if you'll understand, is more of a reciprocation of what my enemies believe." He seemed to look toward May more-so than everyone else, as if he had a lesson to teach after his fit of motivation.

"There are creatures in this world that do not care for humans in the slightest, and if left unchecked, would gladly level any village, city, or castle town in the complete dead of night. They would show no mercy to us, so why should I? I realize that you don't want to hear such things, but it's the way of the world, and it's something you should hear. I think of it like this - there comes a point in every kitten's life where they need to grow their claws, and realize they can't be timid forever. If they will not be brave, nobody will be brave for them. If I do not kill every single monster in an encampment, the stragglers will seek vengeance in full force. I refuse to let that happen." After a long-winded sigh, Aksil added, "I have no intention of hurting any of you, rest assured. I will treat you as my comrades, and I hope to learn from this quest. Should we reach a point where stealth is needed, however, I would ask that you keep quiet and let me work. There's no shame in turning away if you're squeamish, either. I'll make sure to clean up so nobody sees anything gross."

Ellery was almost embarrassed when she realized she had failed to introduce herself and her companions. Everyone else had remembered their manners.

“My apologies, she interjected once things had settled and everyone was making note of their provisions. “I am called Ellery. I am Familiar to Alexander, my witch,” she motioned back to Alex, who was too busy being his usual self to introduce himself. “The other is Teddy. She is of the Beast People.” Ellery paused, eyes dropping before she looked to Kaida. “We are aptly supplied.” She did not in fact require normal human sustenance, and Teddy could mostly fend for herself. And Alex hardly ate enough to sustain anyone. They required few provisions.

Ellery looked back at Alex with a frown. Not because she was concerned about what Vlad was saying to her witch, but because of what she knew her witch was saying to him. If they were all going to be traveling together, he was going to have to learn to get along. Or, at least not try and pick fights with everyone who talked to him.

~

Sasha took the coins, eyes narrowing as he studied them for a moment. He felt as if he had seen such gold before, but was unable to recall. His father had done business with all kinds of people when he was young, but that had been long ago.

“These will work fine,” he nodded, tucking the coins into a pocket. He turned to leave, when the woman who had been trying to get the dragon less rider to speak stood and called after him.

“Hold on,” she jogged over, pushing her hair from her face as she came to stand beside Sasha. “I have a horse.”

“That is very kind of you to offer, child.”

“No, I mean, I have a horse. I want to come with.” She paused, and then offered her hand to him. “I’m Mariah.”

Sasha blinked, not sure if he should take her seriously. “I do not believe I know you.”

“I’m…not from here. I came from a fishing town not far from here, a few towns over. We…we were attacked by the same Riders a few days ago. They took our children and gave the same deadline of five days. Those five days will be finished up soon…They…” Mariah paused, eyes dropping. “They took my brother.”

Sasha watched her, eyes softening. He also felt this was a bad idea.

“I understand, but I am not sure—“

“I can help,” she interrupted. “I am not just a fisherman’s daughter. I’ve trained, I can hunt, I need to go. My brother, he’s smaller than most other boys, and he never really…well, kids can be so cruel and I just…I have to…”

Sasha sighed. “Come. We will talk as we collect the horses.”

~

As soon as Teddy looked away, Alex tipped the bowl over into the dirt on the other side of the crate. It splashed lightly into the dirt. He would eat when he felt like eating. He set the spoon in the bowl and turned back up to Vlad, who was still trying to lecture him. Well, at lest he seemed to have done his research. Most people tried burning witches on instinct. It worked for humans who had been wrongly accused, which was probably why they kept trying it. But, fire alone could not burn a true witch.

Alex frowned. “So…you’re just gonna what? Wait around ‘till it comes by and just offer me up? And you think that’ll solve all your problems? You don’t think maybe it wants more than just some little witch? Or have you considered what exactly it wants with me? Or what it plans to do with me once it has me?” Alex leaned back, setting the bowl aside and propping himself up with his hands. “Do you even know what this darkness is?” He was not exactly helping his case, but Alex felt the vampire’s threats were empty. Besides, Ellery would not allow him to hand Alex over. No matter how upset she was with him, she would protect him. He never took that for granted, but it was a comforting thought when dealing with such things as an evil omnipotent darkness, or an upset vampire.

The faint splash of liquid hitting dirt was not quite quiet enough to escape Teddy's ears, and she turned in time to see Alex settle the spoon back in an empty bowl. There was no possible way that he had eaten all of that in the few moments she had been turned away, and she shot him a reproachful look—but anything she might have said about it was lost in the face of Vlad's threat.

In an instant Teddy was on her feet, her gaze fixed unwaveringly on the vampire. Shock was clear in her expression, and despite how little she had interacted with Vlad, she felt almost—betrayed. It was silly, of course; he had no obligation to her, and you could not betray someone you owed nothing to.

It was just that she had started to like him. For all that Bram had said he didn't consider people's feelings, he had been kind to her. He had tried to comfort her, after she had been pulled from the Rider's grasp. And he had reminded her of Ellery, a little.

But he was threatening her family, now.

And she wasn't—she wasn't sure if he meant it. But if he tried to make good on his threat...

She couldn't let that happen.

Alex didn't seem unduly concerned, so, taking her cues from him, she didn't move to come between them. Not yet. But her eyes stayed unblinkingly on Vlad, undaunted by the glimpse of fangs in his smile, shock slowly giving way to wariness as she waited, tense, for his next move.

And she wished, desperately, that Ellery was here now, instead of conversing with the other group. The Familiar was a much better guide as to how to react to a situation than Alex was.

~

Kaida nodded, satisfied, as the responses came back all positive. They wouldn't need to worry about supplies, it would seem; that would save some time.

Her eyes slid to Aksil as he began explaining his view of the world and the role he served within it, apparently trying to set them more at ease. He seemed to be operating under a few fundamental misunderstandings, however. It was not his willingness to kill that she objected to—she was not so naïve as to believe that bloodshed could always be avoided. You did what you must, to keep yourself and those you cared about safe.

But you lost something of yourself, she thought, when you abandoned your own beliefs and began to follow those of your enemy.

In a different circumstance, she would have wanted to speak with Aksil about it—perhaps get him to consider, if only for a moment, what he might be losing as he embraced his 'taste for violence,' as he put it. Now, however, there was not the time; and so she said nothing, her eyes merely lingering on him for a long few moments before turning away.

Starless and Ellery each received a nod of greeting when their names were given, and the mention of the Beast People gave her brief pause, her gaze flicking past the Familiar to the young girl that had been pointed out. Strange, to see a Beast Person so far from home; and a child, no less. Though—her first estimate of the girl's age had to be revised when she turned, and Kaida got a good look at her face. Her features suggested early to mid-adolescence, though her size was that of one younger.

How very curious. She had never known a Beast Person to be so small; or to have unmarked skin.

But she was too polite to ask, and when Sasha moved away from the group to acquire the needed horses, accompanied by the young woman that set her ill at ease, she too stepped away. She didn't go far, however; just to a slightly more open part of the clearing. There, she called out, elven words tripping lightly off of her tongue in a near-melody—and then, she folded her hands and waited.

She did not have to wait long.

The faint clatter of hooves on cobblestones heralded the arrival of her mount. The mare that turned the corner and came trotting into the clearing was beautiful: cream-colored with a pure white mane and tail, and a white star upon her forehead. She held herself proudly, her neck arched gracefully and her steps dainty as she made her way to her rider; and her liquid brown eyes held a strange intelligence in them. An elf-horse, through and through.

She came and thrust her nose into Kaida's hands, enjoying the petting and soft, murmured praise this earned her, and cast her gaze around the clearing. Kaida spoke to her now, quiet and urgent; and Zephyr snorted in answer, tossing her mane.

Kaida smiled, small but there, and ran a hand along the smooth stretch of Zephyr's neck, under her mane. Then she went to her saddlebags, extracting paper and ink. A message was composed, quickly but with care; then the paper was folded and the ink returned to her bags, and with a final pat for Zephyr, she turned and went to where Arthur Brown stood, now alone.

“Master Innkeeper,” she said quietly, not knowing the man's name. “I was to meet my companion at your Inn, but it seems I will not be able to wait for him. If a man comes by and asks after 'Kaida,' would you please give him this?”

The letter that she held out to him was not bound, nor sealed; but there was little fear, she thought, of it being read by any other than its intended recipient. It had been written in the old runes of her people.

Bram watched Agni’s little burst of outrage with mild amusement. Sure, he could turn into a dragon, but he was dressed like a foreign prince and half Bram’s size.

When he was finally given a name, Bram nodded. “See? Not so hard.”

Starless eyed the hand as it was presented to her, and then trilled a laugh good-naturedly. She bumped Bram out of the way and cheerfully bumped May with her head—gently, though, because he was smaller than her Rider’s traveling companion.

“She says, ‘nice to meet you, May’,” Bram interpreted, just in case the dragon’s headbutt was not clear enough. To Askil, Bram said, “Oh, she’s not mine. I mean—I’m not hers.”

Starless begged to differ.

Bram jerked a thumb to where Vlad was giving the witch on the apple crates a disapproving frown. “He’s her Rider.”

Starless shook her mane, adding that Bram was hers, too, but Bram didn’t vocalize her thoughts. She then turned and called a greeting to Azura. Dark dragon or no, she hadn’t seen many of her species since leaving Vlad’s homeland. Besides those whose minds were darkened and had carried the children away, of course.

“If others are getting horses, I’ll ride, too.”

As Bram dug around in his pockets—many things clinking as he did—Starless made an indignant sound.

“It’s not you, it’s me,” Bram told her. “I’m fine until you drop like a crazy dragon.”

Starless took great offense at this and pushed past him to prove it.

“Starless, don’t be like that,” Bram called after her.

The dragon swatted him with the feathery tuft on the end of her tail and settled behind her Rider, who did not act like her flying skills needed work.

Bram looked up from counting coins when Askil grew nervous and began telling way too much. Bram couldn’t fault him, of course. Years ago, he might have, but now his hunting companion was a dragon-riding vampire. Bram didn’t like that Askil seemed to enjoy the killing itself—rather than seeing it as a means to an end—but they could use all the help they could get.

“Easy there,” Bram told him. “We’re all just trying to get those kids back, okay? No one’s faulting you for what you do.”

Starless snorted hot air, ruffling Vlad’s hair. Reflexively, he leaned back against her warm scales as he listened to Alex. He smiled once Alex was finished and cheerfully fished out his journal as he slid to a seated position on Starless’ foreleg.

“So it is after you! I love it when I induce correctly.” He flipped to an empty page in his journal. “I have done a lot of reading, and I must say, I have never come across such a nightmare as this. It is like—” Vlad flexed his fingers, searching for the correct words.

Starless tried to help, but her concept was not translatable into any of the languages he knew.

“I have no doubt you know what I mean.” Vlad waved his hand dismissively as he drew out a quill and a small jar. Pulling off the rubber stopper, he dipped the quill in the jar.

“Now, tell me just why I should not feed you to the darkness, witchling.”

Starless snorted hot air and nudged his head.

Vlad looked up. “I am being reminded of my manners. My name is Vladimir of the family Drakonii.” There was no reason to hide his true nature from a witch who doubtlessly sensed it. “And this is… Starless Night Sky, in the common tongue. Asteria’a Noxtis Aeralis, in mine.”

Starless dipped her head in greeting and attempted to convey that her Rider was not cruel and would never sacrifice anyone to anything.

Vlad returned his eyes to his journal. “Pleasantries aside, tell me everything you know about that darkness.”

Starless nudged him with her snout, nearly knocking him off her leg. The movement did spill his ink, however, splashing brown across the clean page.

“Silver, Asteria’a,” Vlad swore.

The dragon nodded over to the young beast child.

Vlad didn’t look up as he attempted to clean up the spilled ink. “You tell her that, then.”

Starless let out a slow breath of hot air down the back of her Rider’s neck. It was unpleasant to the vampire, and he shuddered. The dragon then proceeded to glare at her vampire.

Vlad sighed and ceased attempting to mop up the splatters of ink. He looked up at Teddy. “My mother wants you to know that had have no intention of feeding your friend to the darkness that haunts him. Responding to his challenge seemed to be the best way to get him talking.”

Starless tossed her mane, rather liking being called Vlad’s mother.

May laughed a bit as the Dragon booped him with her nose, and he grinned as he gently reached out to pat her on the head, hoping that it wasn't an imposition. Agni watched the display coolly, but he had no real reason to intervene. Instead he turned his eyes to Sasha and Mariah. He examined the girl closely, his mouth drawn into a thin line, but he did not say anything to her despite his apparent suspicions. Instead he turned back to May, eyebrows drawn together.

"Do you even remember how to ride a horse?" he asked, and May's face flushed as he straightened his back and puffed his chest out, trying to look impresive.

"It can't be too hard," he said, and Agni rolled his eyes, but did not otherwise comment. He was instead listening to Aksil, and a small frown came to his face as he did so. It wasn't that he necessarily disagreed with his statements, but rather...

May frowned as he looked over to the man who was both larger and more intimidating than he was. He crossed his arms over his chest and, despite Bram's reassurances that none of them were trying to fault him for his actions, addressed the man.

"That's wrong. You can't simply label non-humans bloodthirsty beasts and kill all of them without even trying to understand their reasons or societies. Just killing things because you think they need to be killed, and even enjoying it, is... Is..." He struggled to find the words, and Agni sighed as he placed a hand on hi shoulder, squeezing it.

"Let it go, serpent," he said, and his tone was a little bit softer than usual. May stiffened and actually glared at him for a second, before he shook his hand off and wrapped his arms around himself.

"I'm going to go pack up our campsite," he said stiffly as he shouldered his way away from the group, his good mood clearly ruined. Agni blinked, and looked for a moment like he was going to object, but clearly the little mage had been upset and wanted a chance to be alone. He shouldn't be more than twenty minutes anyways; their site was small and not far from the edge of town. Surely Agni could handle things on his own for that long. Glancing back to Aksil, he shrugged his shoulders.

"He is... naiive about certain things," he offered lamely as a sort of explanation.

Aksil's nervousness subsided a small bit when Bram seemed to try and console him. "I... alright." With a deep breath, he pulled his scarf back over his face. Looking to Azura and back again, Aksil said, "Actually... it wouldn't hurt to get some food for ourselves." His hand jerked up at an angle as one of his thumbs pointed back behind him. "I cleared out a whole bunch of orcs just last night, matter of fact. I couldn't read Orcish, but I did see what I assumed to be a detailed raid plan on this very village. Now, deeply-sliced throats are unnerving, but you know what's worse? Disembodied human heads mounted on pikes in plain view for every living creature to see, their empty eyes devoid of any traces of light, and-" Azura poked Aksil with her snout, as if to tell him to stop. "Ah... sorry. I need to... stop being so descriptive. Anyway, I saw a crude storage area they made near the chieftan's tent. Looked like one of their shamans knew how to cast a refrigeration spell on a whole series of chests. Logic would denote that they were keeping supplies in them - meats, no doubt. There might even be enough for Azura and I, and then another person or two."

Once Bram had explained that Starless was not his, Aksil slightly shook his head. "I know, I know. But even still, the fact that she's even taking the time to play with someone who 'isn't hers' warms my heart somewhat."

Azura noticed Starless gretting her and reciprocated the gesture, spreading her wings and emitting a high-pitched call, showing off rows of thin, needle-like teeth.

After May had been escorted away from the others, Aksil tilted his head. "I never said all inhuman creatures deserved death - only the belligerent ones that have a plan up their probably nonexistent sleeves. You know, goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, ogres, werewolves - not to be confused with lycanthropes, they're actually a bit more pleasant - trolls, giant spiders, sometimes even..." Aksil briefly truncated his explanation when he noticed Vlad. "...well, nagas tend to be dangerous, too. Point is! If I'm wandering in the woods and I see a manticore guarding some grand holy site, I'm not gonna up and stab the thing to death. In that case, it's Heck, if I'm still wandering in those same woods and a fox peeks its head out of a log, I'll leave the poor thing alone. Chances are, it'll probably just get scared even glancing in my direction and scurry off before I even have a chance to think anything of it."

Azura lowered her body to let Aksil onto her. "We won't be long. It was only several minutes further into the forest. If anything, the smoke from their old fire is probably still blowing upwards. See you... whenever I get back."

The dragon spread its mighty wings as wide as they could go before kicking off of the ground and darting back from whence the two had previously come, disappearing from view in a flash of black.

Sasha had told him to wait here, so that is what Arthur was doing. His two eldest daughters were safe with their aunt, who had finally managed to tuck them in after long-suffering tears. She had kept them safe in the darkness of their cellar, which unlike most was two stories deep given Arthur not only had to feed his family, but his clients during the long winters. The Riders had ravaged the first floor, but had failed to go any deeper. His girls had managed to wait out the raid in the dark, wet confines, hands cupped over their mouths and tears staining their dirties faces.

When Kaida approached him, Arthur jumped slightly, eyes flicking up from his hands, which were folded in front of him because he had no idea what else to do with them. He paused, looking down at the letter she held out to him.

“Uh, yes, ‘course ma’am,” he took the letter and stuffed it into his coat for safe keeping, knowing better than to look at it and sure he would not understand what was written there anyway. “I’ll pass it on.”

~

Alex’s gaze shifted upwards as the dragon marched over and perched behind Vlad. The witch had never had much use for dragon, and while various spells and potions required an array of dragon bits and pieces, he found them expensive and not worth the mess of procuring such ingredients. There were cleaner, less risky alternatives. His sister had not trouble with the matter.

This creature was obviously quite special. She seemed more aware than most dragon’s he had come across, though he had very little to compare her to. Still, he had always imagined them in the lumbering beast category. She acted as though she held some sort of intelligence, which Alex found fascinating. He was staring rather intently at her, probably bordering on creepy, when Vlad spoke up.

Alex looked down to find the vampire was now holding a journal. And he was smiling. The clever bastard. Of course, Alex could not be completely blamed considering he was running off of alcohol and a few pieces of bread (which he usually threw back up), but he should have known better. Oh well, it was bound to come out eventually.

“It’s fine, Teddy,” Alex reached up and patted her shoulder. He appreciated her fire, but it would not be needed. “He’s just being an ass.” He drew in a breath, before glancing around Vlad at Ellery. The Familiar caught his eye, but made a point of turning her back to him. He shook his head—she always thought she knew what was best for him.

“It’s...well, /her/ name is Lilith,” Alex began. “The lore is sorta lost these days as most people don’t like the story, but she’s told to have been the first human. Unfortunately for her, it didn’t work out. She was banished to Hell, making her the first human soul-turned demon. She’s sorta like...a Queen of Hell. Sorta. Not really. Anyway, she’s pretty much the most powerful demon down there. I have a contract with one of her sisters.” Alex paused, eyes dropping slightly before he looked back up at Vlad with a shrug.

“I had Amaris, her sister, arrange a meeting. It all went according to plan, everything was set up precise. I spent months perfecting the whole ritual, to ensure nothing would go wrong. And if it did, I had a few failsafes in place. Unfortunately, as I’m sure you know, not every outcome can be thoroughly accounted for. She got away. And now she needs me because without a body, she can’t fully function on this plane. She’s not at full strength. And, well...Unlike most humans, I’m equipped to handle her level of possession.”

Alex figured that was enough. The specifics on why he had summoned Lilith were his own and there was no real need to detail exactly what she was after considering what was already happening around them. Whatever she wanted with this world, it was safe to assume it was not good.

Teddy hesitated, glancing between Vlad and Starless uncertainly. He sounded like he was being truthful, but he had been convincing when he had said he would sacrifice Alex to the darkness, too.

But Starless Night Sky (or Asteria'a Noxtis Aeralis—that was a pretty name) had nudged him into it, and she was inclined to trust the dragon. Dragons were people, she thought—but it seemed like they would have some animal in them, too, kind of like she did. And animals were often more honest than people.

Alex patting her shoulder drew her attention back, and his reassurance was what decided her. She blew out a breath and flopped back down onto the apple crate, the tension draining out of her as quickly as it had come. And now that she wasn't fearing for Alex's life, she could admit the cleverness of Vlad's ploy; if he had started with asking Alex straight out, he probably would have refused to tell him anything, just to be contrary.

She declined to tell the vampire as much, however, now feeling rather put-out that he had scared her so.

“Ah-ss-terr-ee-ah,” she said under her breath, trying to sound out the other name that Vlad had called Starless. “Aas-ter-ee-ah?” No, that wasn't quite right. Teddy frowned, brows furrowing in concentration, and tried again. “Aas-terr-ee-aaa? Asteria. Asteria'a.”

There, that was better. Teddy nodded to herself, pleased, and looked up at Starless.

“Thank you, Asteria'a,” she said, since it was really the dragon who was responsible for calming her fears.

She went quiet, though, when Alex started talking of Lilith, and of the ritual that had mistakenly set her free. She stared down at the glass in her hands, absently noting that some of the water seemed to have splashed out, probably when she had jumped up. And her fingers tightened just slightly around the glass at the mention of Alex's...affinity for possession.

This was not a story she liked hearing.

Then she turned and took the empty bowl, pressing the mostly-full glass into Alex's hand instead.

“If you aren't going to eat, at least drink some,” she said, setting the bowl aside. “For me?”

She didn't wait for a reply, though, before sliding off the crate. She didn't especially want to hear the conversation between Vlad and Alex, but at the same time, she didn't want to go too far, either—just in case.

Luckily, there was a being of great interest right nearby.

She went to Starless, peering up at her with bright, excited eyes. She'd never had a chance to see a dragon up close, before; and now that one was in front of her, she was seized with the desire to explore, to touch the deep blue scales and admire her wings, to discover as much as she could while she had the opportunity. But she held herself in check, not wanting to be rude.

“Do you mind?” she asked Starless, reaching out a hand to the dragon's side, but stopping before she touched.

~

Kaida watched Arthur with soft, sympathetic eyes. The man looked lost, and little wonder. She could only imagine what he was feeling—his daughter ripped away, his town in shambles, homes burnt to the ground...and the promise of the Riders' return, for money she did not know if the townspeople had.

Five days.

It would have to be enough.

“Thank you,” she said, as he took the letter and tucked it away. “And, Master Innkeeper—your daughter will be returned to you.”

She offered him a comforting smile, then dipped her head and turned to go. Zephyr nickered softly as Kaida came to her side again; the elf ran her fingers through her mane, the motion soothing for them both, and turned her gaze back to the others of the group. She had heard what May had said, while she had been speaking with Arthur; and now she watched Agni try to explain, and Aksil go off on a disturbingly detailed tangent before looping around to address the young mage's words. And then, before he could be addressed in turn, he was away; the downdraft from Azura's wings raising dust in their wake.

Her eyes followed the dragon and rider for a moment, her expression grave; then she turned her attention to Agni.

“Perhaps he is naïve,” she allowed. “But that does not necessarily mean that he is wrong.”

Aksil was not there to hear; but still, it needed to be said.

Askil’s glance towards Vlad during his listing of generally rotten non-humans was not lost on Bram, and the hunter stiffened. Vlad might be a vampire, but he was his vampire and therefore his problem. However, as Askil made no move to work his justice then and there, Bram relaxed again. Still, he would be keeping an eye on him, making sure Askil didn’t seem like he was about to kill his problem-vampire. Because if anyone was going to kill Vlad, it was going to be Bram.

“I’m inclined to agree with you,” Bram told Kaida when she rejoined the group. “Though, I wouldn’t have a while ago. I learned the hard way. Makes me wonder, though,” he added, flicking his eyes to Agni, “how that kid gets treated in your little tribe-thing.”

Vlad looked up when Alex assured Teddy he was “just being an ass”. He smiled, apparently pleased with what he was considering the witch’s concession. The poor girl still did look worried, though, so Vlad softened the smile to a gentler one.

“The more I know, the better I am equipped to aid in the defeat of this darkness,” he explained.

Starless perked her ears, listening to the girl attempt to replicate the vampire word. The dragon flicked her ears in pleasure. She liked the way her name sounded in her Rider’s language, and she was pleased this hatchling was giving it a go. She repeated it as the girl tried, earning a look from Vlad, who was the only one who could hear her. The dragon lifted her head at the thanks, and then closed her eyes slightly and dipped her head.

“She says, ‘You are welcome, Teddy’,” Vlad translated without looking up. “Oh, and she wants you to know how happy she is that you tried to say her name in my native tongue.”

Starless nodded.

Vlad looked up at the mention of Lilith. “Hold on,” he said, nearly snapping the tip off his best quill. “The darkness is a demon? -ess? You let out the bloody Queen of Hell?”

Starless was about to scold Vlad for his word choice—“bloody” was extremely rude in vampire culture—but the little Beast Child walked over to her. Starless liked these people. They all thought she was amazing. Bram insulted her flying skills, and Vlad was too used to her magnificence.

Chuckling, she lowered her head to Teddy and nodded.

Vlad was still having a hard time grasping the concept of this witchling summoning, and then letting out, the most powerful demon in Hell. Failsafes or no failsafes, what the which had attempted was pure madness. He did not know all the thousands of demons’ names, but Lilith he was familiar with. At another date, he would have found discussing lore interesting, but not when this witch let her out of Hell.

“Blood and silver,” Vlad groaned. “What in the name of the stars possessed you—heh.”

Vlad cut himself off to chuckle at his unintentional pun, but quickly sobered. Setting his quill down, he steepled his fingers and peered over their tips at Alex. He stared at the witch for a few silent minutes before he seemed to come to a realization. Vlad’s expression softened for a second before he pressed his eyes closed.

“Let me see if I understand correctly,” he said, reopening his eyes. “You attempted summon the most powerful demon in Hell and control her, but it failed. She escaped. Now, she is wreaking havoc, infecting everything with her—” Vlad waved his hand. “—darkness, all the while looking for you. Because you are the only one powerful enough to contain her. This gives us two problems. First, the most powerful demon is prancing through this realm, infecting everything she touches. Second, she has a way to become more powerful—you.”

Vlad glanced back at Teddy before turning back to Alex. “Let us pretend for a moment that I am an incredibly rational creature with no problem killing when necessary. The most logical course is to stick you full of iron. It would at least solve the second problem. However,” the vampire quickly added. “I am willing to assume you keeping you alive would be more advantageous. So, then, witchling. How do we put her back into Hell?”

Agni listened to Aksil's lecture with growing distaste, though he decided not to comment on it. While he may have had the jurisdiction to pass judgement on others, he only did so of his own species, and he did not think that a human being had the same right. Still, the man had soon enough left, so the point as it was was moot.

"Yes, well. I do not believe in violence without cause," he said in regard to Kaida's comment, because it was an open enough statement to be read as either an agreement or a dismissal. It wasn't that he necessarily thought that May was /wrong/, but rather that agreeing with his points would mean analyzing his own feelings and behaviours in a way that he was uncomfortable with. He was a deity, he did not have /faults/, could not be seen to have self doubt. Bram's comment did not help the matter either, and the dragon tensed slightly before tilting his chin up, almost in a challenge.

"It is a sect," he corrected. "And the high priestess has been more than gracious in allowing the serpent to live freely among the followers for as long as he has. That 'kid', as you so eloquently put it, is a very powerful magical artifact. I will not accept criticism for how I handle him."

It was a harsh way of putting it, but not necessarily untrue. May's birth had been far from natural, and he was closer to a homunculus than a real human being. Should he fall into the wrong hands he could very certainly cause a great deal of damage. Luckily, the sect's myths and origins were not exactly common knowledge, so it was not often that a stranger outside of the worshipers themselves would even know what the mage was or was capable of.

It wasn't long before Aksil and Azura saw a faint, hair-thin stream of dark smoke flowing from a great space in the forest's canopy. The dragon's wings pulled back to make a landing, and the pair touched down at the threshold of the former orc encampment, the rush of wind kicking up dirt.

The first thing Aksil noticed as he re-entered the encampment were the heads he had mentioned earlier, impaled on crude pikes with their jaws slack and slanted, terrified looks upon their faces. Their glassy eyes seemed to peer directly through Aksil's, and straight into his very soul. "I'd like to see May try to befriend savages like them." Aksil swatted away numerous flies as he trudged his way past the heads, nearly unfazed by them altogether. As he strode over to the ramshackle storage site that the orcs had made, he took a mental note of the orcs that he he previously slain, now nothing more than reddened skeletons with only small quantities of flesh still firmly attached.

The storage area was little more than a crude wood and tree bark structure with massive teeth and skulls strung together in a decorative, yet still very macabre, manner. The temperature inside was noticeably lower than outside, due to the presence of glowing runes along the floor, from which a potent chill mist emitted. With a swallow, Aksil pulled out one dagger and fidgeted around with one of the chests that were haphazardly scattered about. With a *click*, he opened it and saw a collection of various meats...

...all arranged on top of each other, with no rhyme or reason.

"Oh, for the love of Imris... they create an elaborate plan to raze a village, but they can't even be bothered to organize their meats? The bacon is atop the steak, which is atop the drumsticks, which atop the mutton... even beyond the grave, they tease me." With a sigh that came out as more of a low, bestial growl, Aksil closed the chest and began inspecting the others. "Spices, and... vegetables? I wasn't even aware they gave a damn about these sorts of things. Oh, well." He began the process of migrating the chests one by one over to Azura, where they were secured by ropes (which were also stolen from the encampment) to the lower part of Azura's saddle.

Azura commented on the combined weight of the chests with a series of noises, to which Aksil replied, "It's quite a lot, I know, but I know you can do it." With a few good pats on the back of the dragon's neck, Aksil mounted up again and made Azura take to the skies. "Now, remember." He instructed his dragon. "When we return to the others, make sure to touch down a bit softer than you usually do, as you do when we recover stolen coins and jewels. These resources will be valuable to the group."

Azura looked back with a high-pitched shout, as if to say she understood.

After several more minutes, the group - ant-sized figures from the height that Aksil was at - was back in sight. Azura dipped downward to land, and made additional flaps of her wings to slow her momentum further, her feet touching the ground with little more than low thuds.

"Good job." Aksil encouraged his companion, stroking her neck as the dragon began to purr.

Arthur stared back into the woman’s eyes, finding comfort in their odd golden color. He had no idea what the markings meant, or if she was even human (though she looked human enough, albeit more...perfect), but her presence calmed him. Eased his worry. She would bring his daughter back.

When she turned away, Arthur realized Sasha had returned, horses in tow. They were all equipped with a saddle, should they be needed, all sized for the average male. Some were larger than others, each a mix of brown or black in varying shades, mostly male with a few mares. Rhoddhim was not an equine town, and their steeds were work horses. Not pure of blood, but hearty. What they lacked in speed, they made up for in stamina. They were also all the travelers had and so would have to do.

“I have a favor to ask of you,” Sasha stopped beside Arthur, who was marveling at the dragon that everyone else seemed so comfortable around. In comparison to the townspeople, that is. He turned to find the ex-Rider looking upon him with solemn eyes.

“That man over there, he is broken. I know his actions from before speak against his nature, but...” there was pain written clear in Sasha’s face, though perhaps only Arthur was close enough with the man to recognize it. He felt for the fallen rider, for his loss. He had experienced the same loss many years ago, and yet the pain stung like it was yesterday. He relived that pain every day, and now this man, dark as his soul may be, would be forever lost. “I know this is a lot to ask of you, and I understand why you may not wish to, but—“

“It’s fine, Sasha,” Arthur reaches up and placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “I will take him under my care. He will be looked after as well as any other guest in my Inn.”

“Thank you,” Sasha smiled down at Arthur. “I will return for him soon as I’ve brought Beth back to you.” He nodded, before turning back to the group, horses quiet behind him. Arthur went to the man, slowly lifting him from the ground. The man’s legs were weak beneath him, but he followed well enough and Arthur brought him into the Inn to find a spare room.

“I have brought what I could.” He seemed to be interrupting a rather serious conversation regarding right and wrong and religion. Unless the topics were pertinent to the finding of the children, they were a waste of time. “Any extras may either be returned, or used to carry supplies. The brown one there, with the white mark between his eyes. That is Wildfire. He is mine.”

~

Ellery watched silently as the others conversed, finding their conversation interesting, but feeling no need to offer up her own opinions. The life of a Familiar meant there was no black and white, especially when that Familiar was bonded to a practitioner of black magic. Besides, her opinions were her own and there was no need for the others to know them just yet. Not until she had a better understanding of who they all were and what their motives were. Sure, she had been searching for days for someone who could help her right her witch’s wrongs, but this had all come together so easily that...well, she was suspicious if anything. She did not trust easy and was not willing to place her witch into harm’s way without proper vetting.

When Sasha returned with the horses, she eyed each of them carefully before deciding which one she wanted. She was smaller than the others, though muscular. Her coat was a speckled grey and brown, her mane black. Ellery found her eyes and they shared a few moments of silent though before the Familiar stepped forward.

“Thank you,” she nodded to Sasha. “They will all work just fine. Might I?” She reached towards the creature and Sasha handed her the reins. Ellery stepped back with her choice, gentle hand reaching up to caress the mare’s head. She would get them to where they needed to go.

~

Alex returned Vlad’s stare with his own. He kept silent, expression even, waiting. The vampire was obviously thinking it all over. His reaction to Alex’s explanation was as could be expected, though it was always refreshing when he did not have to explain just what a demon was and that yes, they were real. Not to mention the vampire seemed to have an idea of who Lilith was, or at least understood the implications behind her name. He found that encouraging and wanted to know what else the Vampire knew.

Alex wanted as Teddy got up and went to occupy herself with the dragon, and then turned his attention to Vlad.

“True...killing me would keep her from realizing her full strength, but she would still be here in the corporal plane, wrecking havoc and sending the world into darkness and chaos until she eventually found another body who could hold her power. I’m the only one who can contain her because every other child born of the same circumstances as I are killed before they even take their first breath. As is the father. It’s a whole thing.” Alex waved the mater aside. “My mother spared me for...reasons. So, the likelihood of another being able take my place is slim...but not impossible.” Alex paused, eyes dropping to his hands for a second as he considered the vampire’s question. He knew the answer, though he had kept from telling Teddy for the sole reason that she would be against it. Still, they had very few options. Which was why he had been putting the whole thing off.

He lifted his eyes back to Vlad. “You have to give me to her.” He glanced over at Teddy, hoping she was distracted enough that she would not overhear. He doubted she wouldn’t. “Unless you can convince her to go of her own accord, or get someone more powerful than her to take her back down, then...I’m going to have to let her in. Obviously, it’s easier said than done...and the risk of her taking over is high, but...well, it’s either that or...” Alex frowned, contemplating whether or not bringing his mother into this would be at all wise. She was not likely to have any other answers. “Nothing, that’s pretty much it.”

Last edited:
Teddy went a little pink at the mention of her attempt to figure out how to say 'Asteria'a'—she hadn't intended for anyone to hear her first, fumbling efforts—but if Starless was happy, then she supposed it was alright.

“Did I get close, at least?” she asked Starless, noting that Vlad had said she had tried to say it in his native tongue. “And do you like 'Asteria'a' better than 'Starless'? I'll call you whichever you prefer.”

The dragon's nod gave her a moment's pause, her hand hovering in the air uncertainly (so Starless did mind?)—but she took in Starless's good-natured air and decided that, rather than a literal answer to her question, she had been given a general go-ahead. The smile that this elicited was near-blindingly bright, and as Starless had lowered her head down to Teddy's level, she took the opportunity and lifted tentative hands to cup the dragon's face, marveling at the delicate-looking face-scales. The blue of her scales looked brighter where the light caught, Teddy noticed, and she spent a few moments tilting her head back and forth to see how the color shifted as the light played over the scales, before she moved her attention on.

“You have feathers,” she observed, sounding positively delighted by this. “The other dragons didn't have feathers, did they?”

She reached up to touch Starless's mane, fingers skimming gently over the feathers and contrasting their softness to the strength of the dragon's scales.

“You're marvelous,” she told Starless solemnly, eyes sparkling happily.

Up to this point, she had been trying to tune out Alex and Vlad's conversation, with some measure of success. But now the word 'killing' caught her ear and she paused, hand stilling in Starless's mane. If it had been only the once, she might have been able to dismiss it; but then Alex said it as well, and despite herself she was drawn back into the conversation, the sparkle in her eyes fading as she quieted, listening.

And so she heard quite clearly what Alex said had to be done.

What?

It burst out of her before she could stop it—before she could decide if she wanted to stop it, and she whirled around, alarmed.

“But that's—that's what she wants. Didn't you just say that she needs you to reach her full power here?” she demanded, her stomach knotting unpleasantly at the very thought. Alex had been possessed many, many times, but this wasn't Bartlomeij or Amaris they were talking about—Lilith had no contract with him, no terms she had to adhere to. And no reason to leave Alex's mind or soul intact, if all she needed was a host body. If she took over—

Teddy had gone pale.

“Alex, you can't. There has to be something else, some other—how did they seal her away the first time?”

~

Kaida was silent, watching Agni consideringly.

A magical artifact—it was not expected, but neither was it impossible. Still, she would not say that that was all that May was; and the implications of what Agni had said, and the way in which he had said it, left an unpleasant taste in her mouth. Artifact or no, the young mage was a person, in her eyes.

But though her mouth drew thin, she held her peace. Offending Agni now would cause a delay they could little afford, and her task was not to tell others what they should believe. Her beliefs were her own: she did not presume that others must share them.

And now Sasha had returned, leading mounts along with him, and she turned her attention to him and her mind back to the task at hand. He brought more with them, he thought, than was needed for those here—but any spare horses would prove useful, she thought, for the return journey.

“If they can be spared, I would take them along with us,” she said. “They may carry supplies on the journey to the mountain, and children on the way back.”

Bram didn’t really see how “sect” was better than “tribe”. In fact, it was worse and bordered on “cult”. But Bram didn’t get a chance to point this out as Agni called the kid an “artifact”.

“Hey,” Bram snapped. “He’s a person, not a thing. I don’t care if he’s the apocalypse with a sugar coating, he’s a person. One good way to make sure he doesn’t turn into a doomsday inducer is to treat him with kindness.”

Bram gave Agni one last glare before waving at one of the large stallions. He would need a bigger horse than the slighter and shorter of the company. “I’ll take him. Shall we get this show on the road?”

Starless nodded again when Teddy asked if it had been close. She shrugged her shoulders. She liked the way “Asteria’a” sounded, but she was used to being called “Starless” just as Vlad was used to being called “Vlad”.

She basked in the glow off the girl’s praise, positively loving someone admiring her scales. She and Vlad carefully tended to them—it was nice having someone notice. The dragon shook the little feathers in her mane, purring happily. She raised her shoulders in a shrug. She doubted any of the dragons of the mountain were from the eastern vampire realm—the home of her clan. There were a few other breeds with feathery manes, but she was not sure if any of them were represented in the mountain hordes.

Pricking her ears, she turned to her Rider as he groaned mentally at Alex's "solution". The girl spun on the witch, and so Starless turned her saphire eyes on him, as well.

Vlad understood how people felt about beings who were half something. He, himself, was only half nobility of his species, and therefore looked down upon. He had not really known half-witches were a possibility, though it made sense why they ended up dead more often than not. Especially if Alex’s health was a general rule for them. And, it seemed to make them powerful in a way that doubtlessly scared witches. But who was Alex’s mother that she had not only gone against tradition and perhaps law, but had gotten away with it? Vlad instantly hoped they never had to cross paths. Though, if she was who Vlad worried she was, the likelihood of her getting word of what was happening was high. And it was probably too much to hope that she had spared Alex out of motherly love. But that was just stereotyping, surely. Vlad’s own prejudices against demons and those who dealt with them.

Vlad stared at Alex at his “solutions”. His options were giving the demon what she wanted, convincing her to go back, or getting a more powerful creature to send her back?

Vlad listened as Teddy voiced her own objections. Once she was finished, the vampire gestured at her. “Your friend and I are of one mind. Your plan sucks.”

He was not sure about her question. What did she mean how did the seal up the demon? Vlad had always assumed the deed was done by a higher power, but if mere mortals had done it, then there was hope that they might succeed. Vlad considered this.

“‘Or’?” Vlad echoed Alex's incomplete thought. “I do not like those options, witchling. Somehow, I think giving her what she wants and hoping for the best is not the best plan—pardon me for my skepticism.”

He shook his head. Hoping for the best was a Bram plan. What madness.

“And having you summon a more powerful demon is an incredibly bad idea—bordering on Armageddon, I think. And convincing her to go back to Hell is about as productive as me convincing Bram he does not need another drink. No, I would like to get a second opinion from your familiar. Doubtless she is the more rational half of your duo.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back