• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Dust: A Steampunk Space Western

MedievalMethods

Saturday Night Dragon-Slayer

• Introduction

‘Twas after the Great Flight, that Man found a new home in the stars. A globe of brown, spinnin' alone in the vast, twinkling aether. In time, our ships anchored on this world. Our cities grew up around them. Tall, impressive and proud; each believing that all others must join under their banners. After the Sandstorm Wars, the Independents who had lost, them’s called Innies left their city-ships and drifted to the Frontier, deep in the dunes Dust. Out where people struggled to make ends meet. Gettin’ by on the barest of means. There they made settlements, small etchings of “civilization” atwixt the deserted deserts; oases’ that offer some respite. 'Course 'taint easy pickings anywhere. Even in the largest Central's, poverty and squalor are the only things that seem plentiful to be provided; kept at bay only day to day. For the weak, and the meek, Dust is a death sentence. But if you got vision, and a whole lot of grit, Dust is an opportunity...

• Plot

The story of Dust takes place in an alternate timeline, when a series of events causes widespread devastation and unrest on Earth during the Victorian age. Fortunately space travel is a viable method of escaping the planet, devised sometime in the mid- or late- 1800s. Thousands of ships were built, by all manner of nations, organizations and entrepreneurs. Each will carry hundreds of thousands of people to the furthest reaches of the stars. This is the story of a few characters, and their descendents, aboard one of these ship flotillas that managed to find landfall on the world of Dust.

• Backstory

The Flight is a period of time documented by oral and written accounts of mankind's from Earth, his travel through space, and his arrival on Dust. As such, it occupies an important part of human history. The Great Flight began sometime in the middle of Earth’s 19th century, after New Zealand’s Taupo volcano super-erupted, producing the greatest natural catastrophe witnessed by Mankind. The initial force of the blast was equal to 60 million tons (60 megatons) of TNT; the immediate effects were the obliteration of the Northern Island, as well as seismic sea waves (tsunamis) that reached as far as Argentina and California. Taupo’s eruption mass deposited an ash layer about 15 centimetres (6 inches) thick over the whole of South Asia. A blanket of volcanic ash that covered the Indian Ocean, the Arabian Sea and the South China Sea. “Black Lung” (Silicosis) became the cause of death for millions across Eurasia, thought to be brought on by “tainted air”. Long-term effects included significant climate change, which took the shape of a global volcanic winter, known to those who experienced it as the Years Without Summer. The damaged done to the planet began to take its hold on humanity. Harsher winters led to mass crop failure. Famine ensued, giving way to mass starvation, civil unrest, and open warfare. Even technology was effected, with developments and advancements made that bolstered hope in leaving for a new, better world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's kick this off with the obligatory first bump! Hopefully, you all like what you see. Any comments, questions, and shows of interests are welcome. 

EDIT: Here are some things that I'd like to bring up for discussion. Like most of my RPs, I've created a backstory to Dust (originally titled the Dust-verse) with many different plot lines that are available to be played upon player request. Not necessarily in chronological order. 

Chooseable Plot Lines

With Hope Comes Dawn

New Horizons

Journeys End

Empire Express

Chronologically, this is the start. Would feature the events leading up to The Great Flight, including the 19th century Space Race, the first generation of explorers, and the initial travels of Journey. Characters must collect materials, recruit crew, design the ship and find investors willing to help them fund them. All the while, they must avoid the obstacles of nature gone rampant (famine, starvation, plague, etc.) and the slow collapse of civilization: defending their ship, themselves, and their beliefs against a rogue Union Army, Mormon saboteurs, Ku Klux Klan militias, undercover Pinkerton Agents and a desperate Federal Government attempting to hold onto power.

character portray members of Journey born generations after the ship launched from Earth, as the famous "void-wagon" and other vessels approach the half-way mark to Alpha Centauri; hopefully, their future home. Players will be introduced to the society aboard Journey through their characters, as they go about their days on the ship, encountering obstacles both internal and external that will seek to challenge their humanity, and very survival as explorers and settlers. Expect a plot-twist that will change the very nature of this RP. Outcomes from "With Hope Comes Dawn" will effect this plot line.

Arrival of the ship's, landing of the Journey, early colonization and first contact with the unexpected natives of Dust. Outcomes from "With Hope Comes Dawn" & "New Horizons" will effect this plot line.

An adventure on Dust during the building of the Trans-Terra Salus Railroad, during the events of the Manifest Conquest, a technology race as humanity seeked to expand its territories, and as the land-grab fever of the Inward Expansion takes hold. Outcomes from "With Hope Comes Dawn", "New Horizons", & "Journeys End" will effect this plot line.

Additonally, here is a link to the gdoc I've used to plan all things Dust:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E2TuX8RHabiJMmXJ0_017AeArN3o2c4N3tlYCJ_jW10/edit?usp=sharing

Its not neccesary that everything, or even most, in the gdoc be read by you. Its simply there for CO-OP reference, for people with FAQs, and for the lore-obsessed (like me).

Additionally, this is all up for discussion. So if you want to add something to the gdoc, or to the plot lines, lets talk about it here. I like to have players included in the creation of RPs, that way they have a sense of investment. So, any questions or queries are welcome. 

Additionally-additionally, I'm looking for a CO-OP. Someone who helps me OP, monitor the threads, with bouts of creativity and general awesomeness. If you are interested in the position, please IM me. 

Before I... tie myself in with this, for lack of better words, I'd like to know exactly what kind of technology is available.

Love the concept (and I'm a sucker for Steampunk); unfortunately I'm already in enough stories to keep me busy, but wanted to give you a free promo bump while you answer Particle.

Bump!

Thanks for the help Greenbriar :)

@ParticleGiving Dust a general tech level is a little hard, since the tech present in the IC depends on the plot line we go with (I have more than one). Technology in this RP starts out primitive, grows, stagnates, and then grows again. 

Essentially, its Post-19th Century Retrofuturistic. What that mouthful means is that everything depends on levers, analogs, clockwork gears, and steam boilers to operate. Automobiles, aeroplanes, and electronics  are in their infancy, but exist alongside space-ships, airships, and automatons (steam-powered Mechas). Weapons and tools are similar to what you'd expect in the late 1800s, as well as culture, morals and language. 

This looks interesting! It definitely sounds like something I would join, but I'm going to hang back for now.

When I properly gauge how much time I'll have for this, I'll definitely let you know. (Thanks for the invite btw!)

@MedievalMethods

This concept seems interesting! I would love to see where it goes. Just a warning - my schedule is a little busy at the moment, so posting may be a little slower than normal. Let me know when the thread is up!  :)

This seems interesting, do you think a sort of Peacekeeper/Security position would be open on board these vessles, if so I'd be interested in filling one of those roles.

Also I'm sort of hoping that this is mainly realistic/realistic art faceclaims.

Ah well, I might as well take a break off my own project for a while. I'm trying to read up on Army organization, religion, and history right now but I bet that I'll get a few story concepts from here! Count me in, but don't expect me to post everyday, but maybe once every 2-3 days.

This seems interesting, do you think a sort of Peacekeeper/Security position would be open on board these vessles, if so I'd be interested in filling one of those roles.

Also I'm sort of hoping that this is mainly realistic/realistic art faceclaims.

Ah well, I might as well take a break off my own project for a while. I'm trying to read up on Army organization, religion, and history right now but I bet that I'll get a few story concepts from here! Count me in, but don't expect me to post everyday, but maybe once every 2-3 days.

@Lord Shaxx Naturally, we have a position for keeper of the peace open on ships. I don't really understand what you mean by realistic art. I can assure that I strive for realism in my RPs and posts. 

@Heisenberg Scheduling won't be a problem. The rules are post when you can. 

If you're still recruiting for this endeavor I'd like to join in. I'm a bit of a detail writer and Steam-Punk has become one of my comedic hobbies. Though I tend to push the envelope (and still stay juuuust inside the lines of reason) within the genre...

My BUMP for the day. 

To everyone who's managed a post so far, thank you and welcome!. Hopefully your interest in this will only grow, especially with the addition of a new OOC in the making. With your help, I know we can make this a fun waste of time   :P

Be sure to check out the post directly below the original post. I have some revelations for you all. 

Obligatory Night Bump! 

I'm calling it a wrap for the night guys. I expect an alpha OOC to be ready tomorrow. So may the hype be with you. 

Yo!!!!!!!

If you have a slot left, I'd like to join!

Sci-fi plus western minus crappy stereotypes equals EPIC!!!!

So yeah, hi there, I'd like to join. ;D

Good news everybody, we're official!  I'm working on getting the lore up, and the IC. But the invites have been sent, and OOC and Character Achieve are completed. Who's still aboard this hype train?

I am new to this site but I came across this and I instantly loved the concept. I would be interested in joining this. Will be a very different experience !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back